Your viewing journal

Teppen!!!!!! ep 3 4
Get rich quick.
As I'm a bit behind I didn't even notice episode 2 was cancelled until I scrolled down to the forum section on MAL today. It had a plot about saving someone from an assassination and was due to air the same day as the Shinzo Abe's murder!

Yurei Deco ep 3
Court out.

Engage Kiss ep 3
Caterpillar!

My Stepmother's Daughter is My Ex ep 3
Underwear incident.

The Maid I Hired Recently is Mysterious ep 1
Sus!
Not sure what to make of it yet. There seems to be a lot of romantic teasing in a comedic why, but the boy is only about 10!

Classroom of the Elite 2nd Season episode 4 Framework.

My Isekai Life: I Gained a Second Character Class and Became the Strongest Sage in the World! episode 5 Crater.

Hayate the Combat Butler: Can’t Take My Eyes Off You episodes 4-12 (Complete. This was the weakest season so far but did try and change things up with the storyline and featuring a bigger climax.) 3.5/5

Hayate the Combat Butler! Cuties
episodes 1-4

League of Nations Air Force Aviation Magic Band Luminous Witches episode 4.
Lycoris Recoil episodes 2-4.
Smile of the Arsnotoria the Animation episodes 1-2.

Spriggan ep6

Not much to mark the end of the first half-season other than a next episode preview (which I don’t think any of the others had), but, despite my initial misgivings and a few bumps along the way, I enjoyed that - it was a refreshingly old-fashioned action series.

Lycoris Recoil ep1

This, I didn’t quite know what to make of. It’s clearly well made and the buddy cop dynamic between the two main characters is engaging, but I have no idea what it‘s doing, tonally. The way it seems to treat the inherently sinister idea of a secret government hit-squad with the same kind of relentlessly upbeat tone of something like K-On is rather jarring to say the least. I’m assuming it’ll pick a lane as it goes on, so I’ll give it another couple of episodes at least.

Last night the next door neighbor girl came over to watch some "girly anime" with me on the big screen in my theater, since her husband's job takes him out of town Monday-Thursdays right now. We were going to watch Holmes of Kyoto, but I forgot that it did not have a dub, and she cannot read subtitles very well at all, so we switched it out and went with a good reverse harem with lots of bishies for her to swoon over, lol:

Hiiro no Kakeru Eps 1-4

After she left I got in a few episodes of:

Harem in the Labyrinth of Another World (uncensored) Eps 1-3

Dropkick On My Devil!! X episode 4 Still.

Love Live! Superstar!! 2nd Season episode 2 Cheering up.

Overlord IV episode 43 Warrior king.

Tokyo Mew Mew New~♡ episode 4 Audition.

Vermeil in Gold ~A Magician Pushes Through the Magical World With the Strongest Disaster~ episode 4 Measurements.

Hayate the Combat Butler! Cuties episodes 5-12 (Complete. The final season to date and a fun one to end on.) 3.5/5

Hell Girl
episodes 1-4

Last edited:
Dropkick on My Devil!! X Episode 4 Still poses.

My Isekai Life: I Gained a Second Character Class and Became the Strongest Sage in the World Episode 5 Crater.

Overlord IV Episode 4 A true warrior king.

Tokyo Mew Mew New~♡ Episode 4 Auditioning.

Vermeil  in Gold ~A Magician Pushes Through the Magical World With the Strongest Disaster~ Episode 4 Measurements.

Hayate The Combat Butler: I Only Have Eyes For You episodes 1-12: I get the feeling this should have been watched after the movie, but I'm following the order on the discs: Very confusing for the first couple of episodes, as it seemed to waffle around without going anywhere. Ending was OK but easily predictable. I'm sure the final series (Cuties) will be, umm, entertaining. And then the movie. And then I can make a start on Cardcaptor Sakura.

Made in Abyss: The Golden City of the Scorching Sun episode 4 Faces from the past.

Smile of the Arsnotoria The Animation episode 4 Star gazing.

Hell Girl episodes 5-17

Last edited:
VS Knight Lamune & 40 Fire - Episodes 17 & 18

B.B Burning Blood - Episodes 2 & 3 [Final]

A bit of an oddity this one with story that I thought was rather confused (and dull tbh) at times but it does have that Osamu Dezaki visual flair that kept it interesting.

Angel's Egg (Cinema)

A local independant theatre was screening Angel's Egg as part of a film curisoity season and so I jumped at the chance to see it on a big screen which was a fantastic experience. I haven't seen it since I reveiwed it for the podcast a few years ago but the intrigue and delight the film evokes was exactly the same and I could really immerse myself into all of it's glorius detail in a darkened cinema.

The Rising of the Shield Hero Season 2 (English Dub) Episode 38 (Complete)

Harem in the Labyrinth of Another World (Uncensored) Episode 4 Pure pleasure.

Made in Abyss: The Golden City of the Scorching Sun Episode 4 Familiar faces.

My Stepmom's Daughter Is My Ex Episode 4 Date.

Smile of the Arsnotoria the Animation Episode 4 Stargazing.

Hayate The Combat Butler - Cuties: What a messy way to end the run. A series of episodes which are basically short vignettes of life in the share house, with people just appearing and disappearing as the script demands. No consistency and a double episode to finish which was just making me angry. Seriously, the way these girls were treating Hayate towards the end was disgraceful. And how are they all apparently the same age as they were 100 episodes ago?

Still the movie to go, which I hope will explain some of the glaring inconsistencies in the plot between seasons two and three. It was all going so well up until episode 52, too. Perhaps the three year hiatus made the staff all forget what they were doing?

Back with more to close out July, just a couple of things.

Lupin the 3rd: Part I [EN Audio] Episodes 1-9 - This has been very enjoyable so far. I really dig the way this looks, the show definitely is clearly its own age, but this presentation (note: this is the Discotek blu-ray, not the version present on HIDIVE so its more cleaned up) makes for a real contrast against the really clean (and modern) English dub audio. Good Stuff. Liked the episodes so far (particularly the second episode heavily featuring Goemon) but I am curious about the progression of the series since episode 9 was the last episode that Osumi was credited as director, with Takahata and Miyazaki taking a larger role in the series and what may change with that.

The Deer King [EN Audio] - A movie that I liked watching and was very engaged with pretty much throughout but, the film has all this interesting stuff (politics, history and other world building) in the background that is set up that I'm surprised in the way it doesn't take advantage of that fully. No doubt in my mind where this lands on its own themes and things it plays with, but maybe there's something missing. Some good character work from the performers here and another strong NYAV Post production. 7.5/10

Not watching seasonal shows next month so, I will throw in the rest of Lupin part 1 later and, I dunno, maybe Ninja Robots. Who knows.

Last edited:
Call of the Night episode 3 A question of lust.

Chimimo episode 4 Sibling squabbles & artistic merit.

Is It Wrong to Try to Pick Up Girls in a Dungeon? IV episode 2 Through the falls.

The Devil is a Part Timer! Season 2 episode 3 Work hard.

The Yakuza's Guide to Babysitting episode 4 Viral.

Hell Girl episodes 18-26 (Complete. A mostly episodic supernatural series which kept me intrigued though I am curious if it can sustain across four seasons.) 4/5

Hell Girl: Two Mirrors
episodes 1-4

Last edited:
Yurei Deco - Episode 3 - 4

Lucifer and the Biscuit Hammer - Episode 2 - 3

When Will Ayumu Makes His Move? - Episode 2 - 3

Is It Wrong to Try to Pick Up Girls in a Dungeon? (Season 4) - Episode 2

Call of the Night Episode 4 Love or lust?

Is It Wrong to Try to Pick Up Girls in a Dungeon? IV Episode 2 Via the falls.

Prima Doll Episode 4 Worry.

The Devil is a Part-Timer! Season 2 Episode 3 Hard working.

The Yakuza's Guide to Babysitting Episode 4 Viral sensation.

Back