Your viewing journal

Boruto: Naruto Next Generations episode 223 Control.

Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba Mugen Train Arc episode 4 The awakening.

Irina: The Vampire Cosmonaut episode 6 Heartless.

Mieruko-chan episode 6 Aura.

Mushoku Tensei: Jobless Reincarnation 2nd Season episode 17 Mend.

Mitsuboshi Colors (Rewatch) episodes 1-12 (Complete. This was still a likeable and endearing little series to revisit.) 3.5/5

Lupin III: Part VI ep4

Like many other folk, I was keen to see what Mamoru Oshii would come up with, when asked to write an episode for Lupin, but in the end, this ode to Hemingway feels quite similar to what he was doing with Vlad Love, in that he’s apparently happy to amuse himself to the near exclusion of everyone else. I didn’t dislike it, but had this been part of Vlad Love, I think it would have worked better for being a small part of a longer series made up of similar material.

I’m surprised that some fans seem to have reacted so strongly against this one, although I was slightly troubled that amongst the group of broadly caricatured killers in the diner, the archetypal Chinese Triad gangster has buck teeth. Maybe I'm over thinking this as, in isolation, it's just a character with goofy teeth, but historically I do get the impression that's a characteristic you often see in crude Chinese stereotypes. It’s probably not the most offensive tic you can think of, or even the worst example of this one, but it’s not something I’ve really seen in anime made after the 80s, and I kind of thought we were past that by now.

Last edited:
Rei Rei: saucy story of a love goddess from the moon who heals broken relationships. It was probably quite adult back in the 90s, but the only part that would now case problems is the scene of the evil bisexual murderess poisoning her girlfriend by inducing an anaphylactic shock. In Japanese with burned on English subtitles
Gigolo: the other film on this double disc is the story of a budding male sex worker who gets caught up in a mob battle and a female assassin. In English (only option).
Dominion Tank Police: Quite enjoyable but silly. Only the first two episodes, of police using tanks in the city trying to stop criminals stealing urine from a hospital, in a polluted world. Apparently given away with PlayStation 2 consoles (according to the case).
Macross - Do You Remember Love: progenitor of so many later anime series. Battle of the sexes, giant humanoid aliens, the song that won the war etc. Japanese with burned on English subtitles. Also an email address for the company who did the subtitles appeared every ten minutes or so.
Macross II - Super Dimensional Fortress: sequel to the above, with the music battle becoming more intense. In English (only option).

I must say this delving into the archaeology of Anime is quite interesting, and shows the genesis of so many now cliches. It also shows how far the technology and scriptwriting has come in the last 30 or so years.
Now on to Macross Plus.

I can't comment on most of these (though I have seen DTP - it was OK, had it's moments) but FWIW I'm currently watching the original Macross TV series (with the uncut ADV dub) and honestly it's way better written than a lot of modern anime and has a more interesting aesthetic as well! - I say that as someone who is emphatically not a diehard vintage anime fan (and not massively into mecha either - the only old Gundam I've seen that I really got something from are the movie trilogy edit of 0079, and 0080: War in the Pocket, and I suspect most super robot series would be waaaay too "boys and their toys" for me), but also not someone who will only watch brand new seasonal things, and who believes that both old and new anime have gold and diamonds to offer if you rummage a bit :)

Kanokon episodes 7-12: OK, that got a bit creepier, when you learn the fox girl is 400 years old, and you start to wonder why she is so obsessed with a boy who looks ten. Apart from that, it was entertaining and it's the first harem style anime I've seen where other boys find love.

Spice & Wolf season 1: I really enjoyed this tale of a young merchant who picks up a wolf goddess, after her village decides they are too modern for such pagan beliefs. Pity I had the dodgy Malaysian version, where the subtitles are a major challenge. Still, it's tempting me towards buying a proper version of the two seasons. Humans, apart from our hero, Lawrence, are not to be trusted.

Ping Pong the Animation ep 6

Mieruko-chan ep 6
Demoned Away.

Yuuki Yuuna is a Hero s3 e6
Extreme case of PTSD.

Blue Period ep 5
2 steps forward, 1 step back.

Komi Can't Communicate ep 3 (dropped)
This just doesn't work in anime form with so much text on screen not getting translated. Even if it was done by Crunchyroll and the way they do theirs you'd have to pause it all the time to read. I might read the manga at some point, although Komi didn't really grab me as a character, but again that's because silent characters don't really work for me.

My Hero Academia season 3 rewatch
God I love this show. It's so emotional and constantly goes against my expectations. I also like how the "big" fight is in the first half and the second half is all about the emotional consequences. It's very well done.

My Hero Academia season 4
Another cracking season. Again similar to season 3 in structure and just a joy to watch. Lemillion is a great addition to the cast.

My Hero Academia Heroes Rising rewatch
Such a great spectacle and another emotional, action packed rollercoaster. I like how everyone gets a moment in the climatic battle.

Eternals
Well i really enjoyed it. It's more of a slow burn drama than your usual Marvel film but was still really well done. The only real issue is that the main pair are most boring characters in it. If the focus had been on any of the others it wouldve been top tier.

The Fruit of Evolution: Before I Knew It, My Life Had It Made episode 6 Love on your side.

The Vampire dies in No Time episode 6 Meet the family.

Mix: Meisei Story episodes 1-12

takt op.Destiny episode 6 Sucked in.

Mix: Meisei Story episodes 13-24 (Complete. An enjoyable sports anime with a distinct artstyle. Hopefully we’ll see a second season one day.) 3.5/5

Recovery of a MMO Junkie
Episodes 1 - 10, plus OVA

A very good series, unusually based on a 35-odd female main character.

Although I have no idea what the two females in the closing titles were about.

Ping-Pong the Animation eps 7 & 8

Pride of Orange ep 6
First proper practice match.

RUMBLE GARANNDOLL ep 5
Rediscovering the passion.
For some reason it wasn't on Funimation, but when I watched it "elsewhere" it was the Funimation version!?

Let's Make a Mug Too s2 e6
Quiz time.

Platinum End ep 5
New ally.

SAKUGAN ep 5
The wind of life.

The Great Jahy Will Not Be Defeated ep 14
Showdown.

Although I have no idea what the two females in the closing titles were about.

It's been a long time since I've seen it, but from memory I think they're the avatars the main character and her love interest had in a previous game that they played together, the implication being that they'd met before and didn't know it.

Banished from the Hero's Party, I Decided to Live a Quiet Life in the Countryside episode 6 Lashing out.

The Heike Story episode 9 Reunion.

The World's Finest Assassin Gets Reincarnated in Another World as an Aristocrat episode 6 Cruelty.

Mobile Suit Gundam F91 (Film) A story with potential but also one that would have worked better with a longer run time than it got - from what I’ve read there were troubles with production. 3/5

Mobile Suit Gundam SEED
episodes 1-12

Back