Your viewing journal

ARIFURETA: From Commonplace to World's Strongest Specials (Japanese audio) - Specials 1-2 (Completed)
Assassination Classroom the Movie: 365 Days' Time (Japanese audio) - Film
KonoSuba: God's Blessing on This Wonderful World!: God's Blessings on This Wonderful Choker! (Japanese audio) - OVA
KonoSuba: God's Blessing on This Wonderful World! 2: God's Blessings on This Wonderful Work Of Art! (Japanese audio) - OVA
Princess Arete (Japanese audio) - Film

Going to talk more about the Princess Arete film which came out back in 2001 by Sunao Katabuchi (In This Corner of the World) and Studio 4C (Mind Game), and the way they presented this film for its time is so unique and well drawn. Animation and character settings is so different you would think it's one of those fairy tale anime from Nippon Animation released in the 70s & 80s. Music is also a highlight with the theme song composed by the late Origa (Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex).

That being said, the story is its biggest issue as it's very basic with a bit of an odd structure to it. The ideas are there and the ending is good, but it's like they took two films and merged them together and saying that the Arete character was still consistent throughout. There's also an a issue with the pacing as I found it to be pretty slow which may put off many viewers. I do think the film is interesting enough to watch and recommend, but for a 105 minute film I feel if they had trimmed it a fair bit to improve its pace it would have worked much better. 6/10.

As for the other anime I watched today, the Konosuba OVAs were great as you would expect. The Assassination Classroom recap film was interesting but it slowed a bit when it reached the half-way point due to recapping mostly the last few episodes of Season 2. The new epilogue scenes were pretty interesting at least and I liked how they went over specific events during its first half. And then I watched the ARIFURETA specials which were mostly recap, but given how it's not only a hot springs segment the runtime was short so it does the job pretty well.

No.AnimeAcquiredFormat
1​
The Night is Short, Walk on GirlSeptember 2018Film
2​
Ouran High School Host ClubOctober 2017TV Series
3​
Mobile Suit Gundam Wing: Operation MeteorApril 2020OVA Series
4​
Mobile Suit Gundam Wing: Endless Waltz Special EditionApril 2020Film
5​
Lord Marksman and VanadisJanuary 2018TV Series
6​
Mobile Suit Gundam 0083: Stardust MemoryMay 2020OVA Series
7​
Napping PrincessNovember 2018Film
8​
Love Live! Sunshine!! (Season 1)June 2018TV Series
9​
Mobile Suit Gundam UnicornAugust 2020OVA Series
10​
Mobile Suit Gundam 0083: Afterglow of ZeonMay 2020Film
11​
Love Live! Sunshine!! (Season 2)June 2020TV Series
12​
Cyber City Oedo 808January 2021OVA Series
13​
Valvrave the Liberator (Season 1)January 2019TV Series
14​
Valvrave the Liberator (Season 2)January 2019TV Series
15​
Princess AreteJanuary 2019Film
16​
KonoSuba: God's Blessings on This Wonderful Choker!October 2020OVA
17​
KonoSuba 2: God's Blessings on This Wonderful Work Of Art!March 2021OVA
18​
Assassination Classroom the Movie: 365 Days' TimeOctober 2019Film
19​
ARIFURETA: From Commonplace to World's Strongest SpecialsDecember 2020Specials

I've Been Killing Slimes for 300 Years and Maxed Out My Level (English Dub) Episode 9

My Hero Academia Season 5 (English Dub) Episode 15

Welcome to Demon School! Iruma-kun 2nd Season (English Dub) Episode 30

How a Realist Hero Rebuilt the Kingdom Episode 4 A taste of home.

My Hero Academia Season 5 Episode 17 Invitation.

Remake Our Life! Episode 4 Potential.

Welcome to Demon School! Iruma-kun 2nd Season Episode 38 An unfelt emotion.

How a Realist Hero Rebuilt the Kingdom episode 4 Taste test.

Kajeki Shojo!! episode 4 Memories.

My Hero Academia Fifth Season episode 105 Something small.

Remake Our Life! episode 4 Coming to terms.

The Honor at Magic High School episode 4 Alleyway.

Welcome to Demon School! Iruma-kun Season 2 episode 15 A big target.

GeGeGe no Kitarou (2018) episodes 59-80

Welcome to Demon School Iruma-kun! Episodes 1-6 (of Season 1) (dubbed)

Sweetness & Lightning Episodes 1-5 (subbed)

The Celestial Method - watched a couple/few more eps, on ep 9 now :) (subbed)

Battle Game in 5 Seconds ep 2
Random chance.

Peach Boy Riverside ep 4
Beginnings.
This was supposed to be the first episode. I can see why they changed it around because it was a bit of a dull introduction to 2 of the characters and didn't really introduce the world or show the threat of the Oni.

The Aquatope on White Sand ep 3
Surprise arrival.
Heh we've written you as an orphan, but that's been done to death (excuse the pun) how about we hint that there was an unborn sibling as well!

The Duke of Death and His Maid eps 3 & 4
Stars and snow.

Kageki Shoujo!! ep 4
Unfamiliar feelings.

The Dungeon of Black Company ep 3
Corporate training.

Sonny Boy ep 2
Watching the world burn.

Villainess s2 e4
Reverse Stockholm Syndrome part 2.

The Future Diary: Redial (Japanese audio) - OVA
Is it Wrong to Try to Pick Up Girls in a Dungeon? II: Is it Wrong to Go Searching for Herbs on a Deserted Island? (Japanese audio) - OVA
Miss Kobayashi's Dragon Maid: Valentines and Hot Springs! (Please Don't Get Your Hopes Up) (Japanese audio) - Special
Mobile Suit Gundam Narrative (Japanese audio) - Film
Violet Evergarden Special: You Will Know What Love Is (Japanese audio) - Special

zxsmfqG.jpg

Gundam NT had such a poor narrative that it would make Char laugh at it constantly without any reason needed. As a continuation to Unicorn, it tries so hard to be relevant but in the end all it offered was a bunch of unlikeable outcomes, back and forth on past/present settings, and story plot points that I felt were straying way too far from the traditional Gundam formula (and I personally blame Unicorn for this as that OVA series brought up a lot of talk about the psycho stuff to a weird way, but unlike NT Unicorn handled it well enough to make you go "ah okay then"). NT also has a bunch of cameos that don't do anything.

The biggest issue with this film are the characters because none of them are properly developed and are overall unlikeable, though I do find amusement with the villain who is basically a copycat Full Frontal who was already a copycat of Char. I wouldn't have minded the main protagonist if he had more emotion and been more rebellious like previous Gundam protagonists have done in the past but instead we had a dull individual and despite having a bit of motivation there wasn't much faith in him in the end.

The music is fine, and it's probably one of the only tolerable parts of the film. The animation is another big offender as it's such a downgrade in quality compared to Unicorn and other properties to the point it looked like it was supposed to be a TV show but lost its budget and time immediately. Now granted the UK Blu-ray does use the theatrical master instead of the Blu-ray master but chances are the results are still the same regardless.

Overall, Gundam NT is a 3/10 film that shouldn't exist and hopefully it's left forgotten.

No.AnimeAcquiredFormat
1​
The Night is Short, Walk on GirlSeptember 2018Film
2​
Ouran High School Host ClubOctober 2017TV Series
3​
Mobile Suit Gundam Wing: Operation MeteorApril 2020OVA Series
4​
Mobile Suit Gundam Wing: Endless Waltz Special EditionApril 2020Film
5​
Lord Marksman and VanadisJanuary 2018TV Series
6​
Mobile Suit Gundam 0083: Stardust MemoryMay 2020OVA Series
7​
Napping PrincessNovember 2018Film
8​
Love Live! Sunshine!! (Season 1)June 2018TV Series
9​
Mobile Suit Gundam UnicornAugust 2020OVA Series
10​
Mobile Suit Gundam 0083: Afterglow of ZeonMay 2020Film
11​
Love Live! Sunshine!! (Season 2)June 2020TV Series
12​
Cyber City Oedo 808January 2021OVA Series
13​
Valvrave the Liberator (Season 1)January 2019TV Series
14​
Valvrave the Liberator (Season 2)January 2019TV Series
15​
Princess AreteJanuary 2019Film
16​
KonoSuba: God's Blessings on This Wonderful Choker!October 2020OVA
17​
KonoSuba 2: God's Blessings on This Wonderful Work Of Art!March 2021OVA
18​
Assassination Classroom the Movie: 365 Days' TimeOctober 2019Film
19​
ARIFURETA: From Commonplace to World's Strongest SpecialsDecember 2020Specials
20​
Miss Kobayashi's Dragon Maid: Valentines and Hot Springs! (Please Don't Get Your Hopes Up)January 2021Special
21​
Violet Evergarden Special: You Will Know What Love IsApril 2021Special
22​
Mobile Suit Gundam NarrativeJanuary 2021Film
23​
The Future Diary: RedialJuly 2021OVA
24​
DanMachi II: Is it Wrong to Go Searching for Herbs on a Deserted Island?July 2021OVA

In terms of the Blu-ray anime backlog watch, I am considering going through two more 1-cour shows and maybe if I'm in the right mood I might be able to sneak in Gundam F91 before the month is over.

Combatants Will Be Dispatched! (English Dub) Episode 9

EDENS ZERO Episode 16 Deceived

The Detective is Already Dead Episode 4 Behind the (eye) mask.

The Duke of Death and His Maid Episode 4 Snow fun.

Love Live! Superstar!! episode 2 Resolve.

The Detective is Already Dead episode 4 Eye.

The Duke of Death and his Maid episode 4 Visitor in from the cold.

GeGeGe no Kitarou (2018) episodes 81-97 (Complete. Having not seen any prior adaptations of the source material I came into this blind but had a decently entertaining time watching overall, even if the story set up did get more familiar as the series progressed.) 3.5/5

Future Diary rewatch
Been so long since I last watched it it was like seeing it for the first time again. I really like this show. It's completely crazy but that's what makes it compelling and it's a good mix of characters that keeps it engaging.

Otaku No Video
Pretty weird watch this. It seems like it doesn't know whether it wants to celebrate or denigrate otaku culture. This is in large part due to the live action scenes where it feels like the writers are genuinely embarrassed about being anime creators. Maybe it's just a product of its time but theres a real cynicism running throughout this OVA. Still enjoyed it overall and it was an interesting watch.

A Silent Voice rewatch
Will never get bored of this fiilm. Cry every time. It's incredible.

Last edited:
I watched a couple more eps of Sweetness and Lightning, seriously one of the best SOL out there. Also I just wanna take this opportunity to say how much I absolutely LOVE the utterly ridiculous opening theme for Iruma-kun S1, it's just sooo delightfully cheesy with such masterful use of Engrish, I never skip it! :)

The Idaten Deities Know Only Peace eps 1 & 2
I'm not sure what to make of this. Definitely very colourful and on the face of it, it's a battle Shounen, but there's some theological musings and the violence seems way OTT and the sexual assault scene out of nowhere at the end of episode one felt very uncomfortable.

1m Lives s2 e3
Orc assault.

The Detective is Already Dead eps 3 & 4
Eye of the beholder.
That was a bit of a dull arc. The new character's a bit annoying as well.

Remake Our Life! ep 4
Home truths.

D_Cide ep 3
Deepfake.

Life Lessons with Uramichi Oniisan episode 4 Cold.

To Your Eternity episode 15 Changing fate.

Ghost in the Shell (Film) (Rewatch) It’s been a while since I watched this and it’s still a sublime experience thanks to the atmosphere and Kenji Kawai’s music combined with the world-building and action sequences. 4/5

Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex (Rewatch)
episodes 1-7

Jobless Reincarnation ep1-4 (English dub)

While the occasional ecchi elements feel rather jarring at times, this been a pleasantly easy going kind of show that has obviously benefitted from having a good budget behind it. Without having heard the original audio, the dub also seems very good, with Ben Phillips bringing a wry warmth to the infant Rudy’s adult inner monologue that makes this feel a bit like an isekai version of Look Who’s Talking.

Back