Your viewing journal

Planetes ep 13

Demon Slayer: Mugen Train (sub @ the cinema)
Whilst the overall plot was so-so the art (apart from the cg which stood out, but not in a good way) and animation and music were fantastic and definitely worth watching on the big screen.
The story is basically
your standard shounen: MC meets mentor, learns some stuff, bad guy shows up, have fight, mentor dies, MC pledges to get stronger. Like ayase pointed out in a recent post about this sort of thing happening in anime, apart from some shows like the one we were talking about, we've only just met the bloke so have no attachment to him when he dies and thus left wondering why the hell the MC cares so much, apart from the fact that like most shounen MCs he's a good-two-shoes. They made an attempt to make us more familiar with him as his dream is a flashback, so we learn a bit about him, but that makes Tanjiro and co's reaction even weirder as they don't get to see that bit because they were in their own dreams.
Within the story there were some moving moments, especially when Tanjiro meets his dead family and even more so when he has to leave them when he realises he's in a dream. There are some silly moments, some intending to be funny, especially bits featuring Tanjiro's idiot companions, and some that were unintentionally funny, like the Demon merging with the titular train, WTF, this was enhanced by the weird looking cg which just looked like jelly oozing out of the train.
Overall I'd say enjoyable enough, not quite as good as the series, but I think I'll still score it the same.
8/10

Full Dive: The Ultimate Next-Gen Full Dive RPG Is Even Sh*ttier than Real Life! episode 8 All might.

Hetalia World★Stars episode 9 Industrial race.

Super Cub episode 8 Visits.

Also finished off Castlevania Season 3 and moved onto Season 4.

Full Dive: This Ultimate Next-Gen Full Dive RPG Is Even Shittier than Real Life! Episode 8

Godzilla: Singular Point Episode 10

Osamake: Romcom Where The Childhood Friend Won't Lose Episode 7

Super Cub Episode 8

The Saint's Magic Power is Omnipotent Episode 8

The Slime Diaries: That Time I Got Reincarnated as a Slime Episode 8

Oddtaxi ep8

Dynazenon ep8

Emma: A Victorian Romance ep1-2

I've long been curious to see this, as I know it's highly rated and I always enjoy seeing anime interpretations of the UK. Not that I'm an expert, but thus far it seems incredibly convincing in that regard; there's a real sense that the creators went to a lot of trouble to research the minute detail of life in Victorian London. Or they just watched a whole lot of Upstairs, Downstairs. Either way, it seems to be working.

Future Police Urashiman - Episodes 2 - 12

So far Urashiman has been a very simplistic comedy action show, It's entertaining enough but a dozen episodes in my attention is beginning to wane a little. Urashiman has an avid following and there are hints to other things happening so I'm stick with to see how it plays out.

I got that from it as well. It's quite jolly, but it's much closer to being a saturday morning cartoon than I'd expected, and I find it difficult not to look at the mechanical designs without thinking about how easy they look to make into toys. I am curious to see that one episode where they went all in on the animation though - by all accounts, it's quite special.

Cells at Work!! 2nd Season (English Dub) Episode 5

Cells at Work! CODE BLACK (English Dub) Episode 12

Dr. STONE: Stone Wars (English Dub) Episode 10

The Quintessential Quintuplets II (English Dub) Episode 9

How Not to Summon a Demon Lord Ω Episode 8 Corruption.

Zombieland Saga Revenge Episode 8 Former name.

Oddtaxi ep8

Dynazenon ep8

Emma: A Victorian Romance ep1-2

I've long been curious to see this, as I know it's highly rated and I always enjoy seeing anime interpretations of the UK. Not that I'm an expert, but thus far it seems incredibly convincing in that regard; there's a real sense that the creators went to a lot of trouble to research the minute detail of life in Victorian London. Or they just watched a whole lot of Upstairs, Downstairs. Either way, it seems to be working.

I got that from it as well. It's quite jolly, but it's much closer to being a saturday morning cartoon than I'd expected, and I find it difficult not to look at the mechanical designs without thinking about how easy they look to make into toys. I am curious to see that one episode where they went all in on the animation though - by all accounts, it's quite special.
I very recently watched the series and thoroughly enjoyed it even though it's not a genre that I usually view. I can't recall any episode "where they went all in on the animation" though-all of them were competently animated.

I very recently watched the series and thoroughly enjoyed it even though it's not a genre that I usually view. I can't recall any episode "where they went all in on the animation" though-all of them were competently animated.
Ah, the quoted post from orgun doesn't seem to be showing up in your reply - I meant Future Police Urashiman when I was talking about the animation, not Emma.

Kono Oto Tomare! In hindsight this is my 2019 AOTY. Really excellent series with some stunning musical performances!

3rd season seems unlikely but I'll definitely be continuing the manga when I get the chance.

Love, Chunibyo & Other Delusions -Heart Throb- (Japanese) - Episodes 1-12, OVA + Chuni-Shorts -Heart Throb-

Does it capture the magic of the first season? Yes and no. It’s still a really fun season and I enjoyed it’s exploration of Yuta and Rikka’s new normal. Of course it still has the great animation of the first season and the sense of humour that juxtaposes it but never quite reaching the emotional highs of the first season. The biggest weakness of the season for me tho was Shichimiya, while I liked her character, the show doesn’t do enough with her. Mainly because it’s throws away the central confrontation you could explore with her the first time she meets Rikka and then it just sorta struggles to figure out what to do with her before resolving her story in one episode near the end.

The OVA was more fun times and the shorts too, none of which particularly jumped out at me like the first season shorts. But still enjoyable.

Love, Chunibyo & Other Delusions - Take On Me (Japanese) Film

Again, this is more shenanigans with the cast but it’s not what Tamako Love Story is to Tamako Market. It’s more like a story arc of the TV series edited together to make a movie. For me that’s not a bad thing, I enjoy Chunibyo enough for this to feel like a good enough conclusion to the story. I think it’s a better exploration of Yuta and Rikka’s relationship and does a lot more for it than the second season did.

Now I just need the Nibutani/Dekomori spin-off.

Back Arrow episode 21 Unstoppable?

Blue Reflection Ray episode 8 Forget.

Burning Kabaddi episode 9 Training.

So I'm a Spider, So What? episode 20 Visitor.

SSSS.DYNAZENON episode 9 Trust.

The World Ends with You The Animation episode 8 Erasure.

Those Snow White Notes episode 9 No regrets.

Also continued my rewatch of Miami Vice.

My Hero Academia Season 5 (Japanese audio) - Episodes 1-4 [89-92]
My Hero Academia: Make It! Do-or-Die Survival Training (Japanese audio) - OVA Episodes 1-2 (Completed)
ODD TAXI (Japanese audio) - Episodes 1-4

86 EIGHTY-SIX episode 8 Confrontation.

Don't Toy With Me, Miss Nagatoro episode 8 Splinters & studying.

I've Been Killing Slimes for 300 Years and Maxed Out My Level episode 8 Freedom.

My Hero Academia Fifth Season episode 98 Power struggle.

Shadows House episode 8 No conversation.

Vivy -Fluorite Eye’s Song- episode 10 Piano.

Welcome to Demon School! Iruma-kun Season 2 episode 7 Controller.

Cheer Boys!! episodes 1-12 (Complete. This was a decent sports series with a likeable cast and a story loosely based on a real cheer team.) 3.5/5

Back