Your viewing journal

Combatants Will Be Dispatched! (English Dub) Episode 2

Mushoku Tensei: Jobless Reincarnation (English Dub) Episode 9

Combatants Will Be Dispatched! Episode 6 Ceasefire.

Dragon Goes House-Hunting Episode 6 Missing.

Seven Knights Revolution - Hero Successor Episode 6 Festival.

Pretty Boy Detective Club - episode 5 Disguise Trick.Very lovely animation but finding it pretty boring to be honest.Think I’ll continue for a bit to see how it goes.

Farewell,My Dear Cramer- episode 6 Very fun episode.

Digimon Adventure (2020)- episode 47 Water turf war nice to see some pretty obscure Digimon.
Nice light hearted episode, and my best Dino Tyrannomon appeared.

Dragon Goes House - Hunting- episode 6 Dragon goes Job hunting .Still thoroughly enjoying this series,just dig the humour and it’s adorable.

Nomad: Megalo Box 2- episode 6 Brilliant as always.

Digimon Adventure(1999)(Re-watch,Sub) episodes 35-39 Always love these episodes and the small family Interactions are just brilliant.

Spirit Hero Wataru - Episodes 42 - 45 [Final]

I'm looking forward to talking about this show with @Scrambled Valkyrie on the podcast.

Thunderbolt Fantasy Sword Seekers 3 - Episode 5

SSSS.Dynazenon - Episode 6

Plus I caught up on some stuff I've been meaning to watch for ages

Bremen 4

An entertaining if rather straight forward film from Osamu Tezuka.

Elf 17

I've seen Elf 17 fairly constantly mentioned in blogs and forums for like 20 years and I can't believe it's taken me this long to get round to it, going to talk about this on this on the podcast.

Ariel Deluxe OVA 1-2

A charming and whimsical little series that, while grounded firmly in the late 80s, seems to be looking fondly back at classic tokusatsu-style sci-fi, I really enjoyed Ariel, it’s just a shame that the overall experience is like getting only the middle few episodes of a much longer show. It feels like we’ve just been introduced to these characters and seen a little glimpse into their world before it’s all over. I think it would make for an interesting companion piece alongside a viewing of Gunbuster though.

Yeah, I completely agree that it does feel like this snapshot of a much bigger story and the OVAs do a valiant job of trying to tell as much as they can in the running time available. It would indeed make for an interesting companion piece with Gunbuster 👍

Maken-Ki! season 1 and 2
Trashy action harem comedy. Nonsense but fun.

Blade & Soul
Sexy murder ladies. The theme of revenge and what it does to a person is pretty well handled and the story had some good twists and turns.

K, Missing Kings, Return of Kings rewatch, Seven Stories 1st time
May be somewhat style over substance but it's still a great watch and the animation is top notch with some stunning action. Also the world building is actually really well done. Seven Stories brings some nice depth to members of the larger ensemble and fleshes out the world.

Vivy Automata - Become As Gods Edition ep5-7

I hope Vivy has been reasonably popular, I don't feel like I've seen it mentioned as much as the likes of Eighty Six, Nagatoro or Super Cub this season.

Elf 17

I've seen Elf 17 fairly constantly mentioned in blogs and forums for like 20 years and I can't believe it's taken me this long to get round to it, going to talk about this on this on the podcast.

Ah nice! I liked that one, it was a fun OVA.

Fruits Basket: The Final episode 56 Tell.

Let's Make a Mug Too episode 6 Monument

MARS RED episode 6 Crush.

ODDTAXI episode 6 Involvement.

To Your Eternity episode 5 In her place.

Bakemonogatari episodes 1-10

Combatants Will Be Dispatched ep 6
Desperate measures.

Vivy ep 6
Getting to the heart of the problem.

Megalo Box: NOMAD ep 6
Good deed(s)

Let's Make a Mug Too ep 6
The colour of wind.

Tokyo Revengers ep 5
New mission.

Higehiro ep 6
Your problems are nothing compared to the stars.

ODD TAXI ep 6
Making a deal.

Fruits Basket: The Final Season (English Dub) Episode 56 Convey.

Suppose a Kid From the Last Dungeon Boonies Moved to a Starter Town (English Dub) Episode 10

ODD TAXI- episode 6 A deal made.

To Your Eternity- episode 5 Always with you.

Fruits Basket The Final- episode 6 Beautiful episode.

So I'm not just franxxing with myself...

Renkin 3-kyū Magical? Pokān Episodes 1-6 (rewatch)

snapshot_07.49.134.jpg

MagiPoka occupies a similar space to other more ridiculous SoL comedies of the '00s like Azumanga Daioh and Strawberry Marshmallow, but does so in a very unique way because not only are our girls all supernatural in nature (a witch, a vampire, a werewolf and an android) but there is also a complete lack of any kind of straight-man or mentor characters usually present in such shows. As a result, our four fish out of water heroines(?) are just dumped unceremoniously into modern day Japan with only the vaguest (and often completely misjudged) concept of how anything works.

From the postal service to the shopping channel to blood donation and bathhouses, the MagiPoka girls misunderstand it all, usually egging each other on to even greater heights of stupidity. Hilarity ensures as they go on to do often deeply inappropriate (and on occasion lewd) things, but nine times out of ten such moments are played for laughs rather than titillation. Not only is it one of the funniest anime I have ever seen, it may even be one of the funniest things I've ever seen full stop. How it has such a low rating on MAL and has still, even fifteen years on, never been picked up for English language distribution I will never know (it seems like a no-brainer at least for some streaming service or other) but then perhaps my idea of comedy isn't everyone's.

snapshot_06.46.478.jpg
snapshot_06.49.468.jpg

As for the girls themselves, they're all adorable and pathetic in their own ways and I can't really help but love them all. Uma's unrelenting optimism in the face of her constant failure. Pachira's paper-thin veneer of narcissism over her crippling insecurity. Liru's laid-back coolness when her werewolf form... is anything but threatening. Aiko, whose sweetness would probably lead me to find her the most boring in any other show, manages to still be hilarious due to the fact she is actively excited by incredibly dull things (which is more than a little Kryten-like, probably no accident then that a minor character wearing a Red Dwarf t-shirt appears in the show's very first scene).

I'd feel bad recommending that people pirate any show, but even the Japanese DVD release of MagiPoka appears to be OOP. So not only is there no English release but there is now literally no way to monetarily support the creators short of mailing them a cheque. But any time in the past ten years since I first watched it, or in the next ten years, I would still gladly (have) pay(ed) for an official release, and I feel like by denying myself MagiPoka I would have missed out on something special.

snapshot_16.45.960.jpg

Last edited:
Joran: The Princess of Snow and Blood episode 7 Harsh welcoming.

The Saint's Magic Power is Omnipotent episode 6 Accustomed.

The Slime Diaries episode 6 Tatami.

Bakemonogatari episodes 11-15 (Complete. I finally got around to checking this franchise out and got off to a very solid start. Part of me is tempted just to jump into Kizu etc next though my alphabetical viewing arrangements may have other plans.) 4/5

Shadows House eps 4 & 5
Nights watch & trial by afternoon tea.

Moriarty the Patriot s2 eps 5 & 6
Hell is empty! and infiltration.

Jouran: The Princess of Snow and Blood ep 7
No escape from the past.
The motivations of a certain character is really confusing, last episode she helped our MC escape the organisation and now she's disappointed that the MC has become boring and decides to destroy the MC's new life that she helped set up!?

Fruits Basket Final Season ep 6
Hat-kun's back! Just in time to remind Kyo of something.
More terrible relatives in this episode.

That Time I Got Reincarnated as a Slime 2nd Season (English Dub) Episode 32

The Saint's Magic Power is Omnipotent Episode 6

The Slime Diaries: That Time I Got Reincarnated as a Slime Episode 6

Chivalry of a Failed Knight (English) - Episodes 1-4

So much wtf-ery going on in the first couple of episodes. The animation is pretty uneven even though I’m watching the bluray but I appreciate the ambition of what they’re trying to do with some of the 3D camera work. It really likes to have Stella undressing, like at least once per episode.

Mars Red ep1

I really like the hyper-stylised approach to this Taisho-era vampire offering's setting, it's very Shaft-esque, but this shifted gears in a way that I was quite disappointed with at the end of the episode, and managed to kill my initial enthusiasm on the spot. I'll give it another episode or two out of curiosity, but I believe it hasn't been well received in general, so I don't hold out much hope.

Odd Taxi ep6

Very good though Vivy and Super Cub are, I think this is now unquestionably my favourite thing this season, they really kicked it up a notch this week. It’s played out kind of how I expected, but I particularly like the relationship between Odakawa and Shirakawa, it’s straight out of classic film noir.

Chivalry of a Failed Knight (English) - Episodes 5-12 Complete

It becomes a fairly standard affair during the middle section but I think it’s biggest merit is how well it humanises the characters, they don’t feel as one-dimensional as other series like this do. Again, the animation is pretty uneven but it has some really great moments and the last 2 episodes have a really great sense of style. I think this is definitely something I’ll add to the ever growing reading list and dive into the LN at some point.

Emma-A Victorian Romance-for some reason I never got around to watching this but I finally started 2 days ago and I'm hooked. It's not the type of show I normally watch but it's really quite good. I'm 1/2 through the 1st part-the english dub (accents and all) is very good. Somehow I just couldn't imagine watching this in japanese.

Back