Your viewing journal

Joran: The Princess of Snow and Blood episode 6 Bury.

The Saint's Magic Power is Omnipotent episode 5 Formal request.

The Slime Diaries episode 5 Festival.

Asura Cryin’ episodes 1-13

Darling in the FranXX 001 or some such in line with the show

I liked this, and mechas having beast forms is a weak-point of mine... There was enough fanservice to make me go 🤨

I like that the setup is openly being dependent on another and I'm curious to get to know the team, even if I'm not expecting more than your typical archetypes, which is also ok. I'm also curious to know more about Zero Two and those beast things, so I'm in!

Action was great and well animated, seeing CG made me hesitant but all the mecha stuff is 2D and looks very good. I thought the mechas having normal looking faces would bother me, but they actually look great!

I'll probably replace Amagi with this as soon as I'm done with the former. Watching Clannad and another 24 ep series might not be the easiest thing to pull off, though. We'll see.

Spirit Hero Wataru - Episodes 35 - 41

Thunderbolt Fantasy Sword Seekers 3 - Episode 4

SSSS.Dynazenon- Episode 5

SSSS. Dynazenon ep5

Was slightly dreading this one as I’d heard it was the inevitable beach episode, but that was actually quite entertaining. It’s not terribly noticeable a lot of the time, but the show’s music is also rather good.

I was a little concerned as well, but agreed, it was a good episode nonetheless.

Back Arrow - Episode 16 & 17

Despite my lamenting how Back Arrow was plodding along in my last post, episode 16 turned out to be a fantastic episode and these two episodes have been interesting and finally given the story a much needed shove in the right direction.

Clannad and Clannad After Story
Greats series. Prefer season 1 tbh.

Shirobako
Put this on as I thought it was going to be a comedy after watching Clannad but then it turned out to be cynical look at how miserable the anime industry is. Was still a good watch mind and did find a couple of hopeful moments.

Persona 5
Really enjoyed it. I never finished the game as I got stuck on a boss and could never be bothered to go back and grind to level up for it so was nice to see the conclusion to the story.

Kenshin OVAs Spanish dub
Never watched any of this before but was a decent set of ovas though nothing special really.

Kino's Journey
Absolutely brilliant series. Put a longer post of my thoughts in the rate anime thread.

Full Dive: The Ultimate Next-Gen Full Dive RPG Is Even Sh*ttier than Real Life! episode 5 Scam.

Hetalia World★Stars episode 6 Industrialisation.

Super Cub episode 5 Rough terrain.

Asura Cryin’ 2 episodes 14-26 (Complete. Whilst the first cour of episodes had a decent enough plot the second storyline wasn’t quite as good despite upping the stakes. Overall the series was okay but not overly memorable and struggled to really play to the strengths of the premise.) 3/5

Osamake ep 4
Yet another childhood friend shows up.

Fruits Basket Final Season ep 5
Growth spurt.

Megalo Box: NOMAD ep 5
Flashback.
Really liked the colourless flashback moments, added a little more to the melancholia of the events

Super Cub ep 5
If at first you don't succeed, try and try again.

Full Dive: This Ultimate Next-Gen Full Dive RPG Is Even Shittier than Real Life! Episode 5

Osamake: Romcom Where The Childhood Friend Won't Lose Episode 4

Super Cub Episode 5

Shelved Let's Make a Mug Too until all episodes are out. Nice series but I'll wait for all episodes to binge watch.

Still sticking with Slime 300 and Super Cub as my two seasonal shows. Probably the fewest seasonal shows I've watched. Slime 300 is definitely one of the better isekai out there and Super Cub continues to be a really good Honda advert.

Shirobako
it turned out to be cynical look at how miserable the anime industry is.
Damn, I actually thought it was still really romanticised compared to what a soul-crushing grind the real thing probably is to work in. 😬

Shirobako's one of my favourites, and I'm really sorry we don't have a UK release of it. On a somewhat related note, I watched Keep Your Hands Off Eizouken! recently and it just never caught light for me, despite being a Yuasa fan.

Damn, I actually thought it was still really romanticised compared to what a soul-crushing grind the real thing probably is to work in. 😬
I mean it could well be. I definitely wanted to watch a full blown comedy after Clannad and this wasnt one and seeing everyone be stressed, sad or an outright ass certainly pulled me into the cynical aspects of the show. I still enjoyed it mind.

I mean it could well be. I definitely wanted to watch a full blown comedy after Clannad and this wasnt one and seeing everyone be stressed, sad or an outright ass certainly pulled me into the cynical aspects of the show. I still enjoyed it mind.
Yeah while it's still pretty negative I'd still say Shirobako romanticizes the industry somewhat. Love the irony of a series pointing out all these problems and likely suffering from much worse behind the scenes.

Much as I would have preferred Shirobako to go a little darker at times, I thought it generally did a good job of balancing out the fantasy with its more realistic elements. It certainly feels a lot closer to the truth of working in the industry than Eizouken or Animation Runner Kuromi - while it's often quite abstracted, I did frequently feel like a lot of the things that happen in Shirobako were probably based on peoples' genuine experiences.

Much as I would have preferred Shirobako to go a little darker at times, I thought it generally did a good job of balancing out the fantasy with its more realistic elements. It certainly feels a lot closer to the truth of working in the industry than Eizouken or Animation Runner Kuromi - while it's often quite abstracted, I did frequently feel like a lot of the things that happen in Shirobako were probably based on peoples' genuine experiences.
Yeah director Tsutomu Mizushima previously experienced some trouble with his work on Girls und Panzer which resulted in the last 2 episodes being delayed 3 months. Definitely worked some of his past frustrations into the story of Shirobako.

Returning to the backlog once again after finishing off a few more games lately.

Girlish Number (Japanese audio) - Episodes 2-4

Zombieland Saga: Revenge episode 5 Scat.

Also decided to catch up on my rewatch of Miami Vice after what feels like ages.

MARS RED ep 5 (dropped)
Raid.
One of those shows that has too many moving parts to follow or has no characters I really care about so I'm not invested enough to try and follow. Probably a bit of both in this case.

Combatants Will Be Dispatched ep 5
Zipperman! You'll believe a man can unzip his pants without touching them!

Zombieland Saga: Revenge ep 5
Never give up.

Cells at Work!! 2nd Season (English Dub) Episode 2

Cells at Work! CODE BLACK (English Dub) Episode 9

Dr. STONE: Stone Wars (English Dub) Episode 9

The Quintessential Quintuplets II (English Dub) Episode 7

How Not to Summon a Demon Lord Ω Episode 5

Zombieland Saga: Revenge Episode 5

Super Cub ep5

Reiko is an interesting foil for Koguma, being far more ambitious and outgoing, but I do find she needs a little more suspension of disbelief as a character, compared to how grounded Koguma seems to come across by comparison (minor case in point: I found it hard to believe she could come off her bike that many times without suffering a more serious injury).

Just as an aside, it also amused me that Reiko looked up the specs for a trails bike with the designation ‘CT Hunter’, which she reads as “Ceetee Hunter”. I wonder if Tsukasa Hojo ever owned one...

Odd Taxi ep5

Ariel Deluxe OVA 1-2

A charming and whimsical little series that, while grounded firmly in the late 80s, seems to be looking fondly back at classic tokusatsu-style sci-fi, I really enjoyed Ariel, it’s just a shame that the overall experience is like getting only the middle few episodes of a much longer show. It feels like we’ve just been introduced to these characters and seen a little glimpse into their world before it’s all over. I think it would make for an interesting companion piece alongside a viewing of Gunbuster though.

Last edited:
Back