Your viewing journal

True Cooking Master Boy 2nd Season episode 24 Joy of a chef. (Complete. Like the first season this offered some entertainment but still felt lacking overall, perhaps down to the main characters not being all that interesting. Not sure if I’ll stick around for a third season.) 3/5

Uma Musume: Pretty Derby Season 2
episode 13 (Complete. Emotionally driven and well-told throughout. I like how the story stuck true to the real-life tragedies that befell the horses our lovable cast are based on.) 4/5

World Trigger 2nd Season
episodes 78-84 Am now up to date on this.

X/1999 (Film) Well the artwork was nice but otherwise this was a messy film that clearly felt like an expansive story being crammed into 90ish minutes. I’ll check out the TV series to see if that fares any better. 2/5

Attack on Titan The Final Season episode 16 (Complete)

Mars Red
episode 1

My Hero Academia Season 5 episode 1

The Quintessential Quintuplets Season 2 episode 1

Hokuto no Ken - Episodes 103 - 109 [Final]

It feels great to have finally watched all of HnK, for the life of me can't remember why I stopped at episode 80-something over a decade ago. An awesome series and a fantastic final confrontation between Ken and Roah and HnK definitely deserves it's cult status. Going to watch a couple of other series then get onto HnK 2.

Spirit Hero Wataru - Episodes 18 - 21

Back Arrow - Episodes 10 & 11

Back Arrow is easy entertainment and has found a rhythm that I am quite enjoying now.

The neighbor couple was over last night for our regularly scheduled Sunday Anime Nights... We finished off the first Season of Knights of Sidonia and 3 episodes of the second season, so 9 episodes in one sitting, eps 7-15. My neighbors couldn't stop watching, lol! 😎
The first series of Knights of Sidonia was the best sci-fi of the last decade for me, I absolutely loved it. The second series was very good and I really enjoyed but it just didn't quite nail the intensity and world building of the first series imho.

Only Yesterday (sub)
That ending still gets me!
So true, my favourite Ghibli film, it's such a masterpiece of film making.

Mobile Suit Gundam B00BS, Episodes 1-16
I watched 00 as it aired and I loved it, the best full length Gundam show since Turn A for me (I really liked IBO but liked 00 more), it's something I must re-watch at some point.

So I finished off showing the last 9 episodes of Knights of Sidonia to the neighbor couple last night in my theater. They loved this series so much they burned through all 24 episodes in only 3 viewing sessions, 6+9+9, and they even wanted to watch and jump around in their seats to the OP for Season 1 every episode, too, lol. Like Space Battleship Yamato 2199, this was another Battlestar Galactica type anime, so they were glued to their seats the entire time!

Not sure yet what the next series will be on the viewing list for me to show to the neighbors, I was thinking maybe Kurau Phantom Memory or Fractale, perhaps - going for something a little more obscure but still two very good scifi anime series.

Black Clover episode 170 Unbeatable feelings. (Complete. Considering I nearly dropped this in the first 20 or so episodes I’m glad I stuck it out, as Black Clover grew to have some very good arcs and likeable characters. Hopefully the recently announced movie will be a good return.) 3.5/5

That Time I Got Reincarnated as a Slime 2nd Season
episode 36 Gaslighting great spirit. (Complete. A very solid first half of the season that took some darker turns, even if this does resolve itself a tad too neatly for the time being. Looking forward to the spin off series that begins airing next week.) 4/5

X (TV)
episodes 1-12

Last edited:
Super HxEros (Blu-ray Uncensored) Episode 10-12 (Complete)

That Time I Got Reincarnated as a Slime 2nd Season Episode 36 (Complete - for now until the second half airs this summer. At least the Slime Diaries can fill that void until then. Overall a solid start to what has been a somewhat darker second season at times.) 4/5

World Witches Series: World Witches Take Off![/B] Episode 12 (Complete. Just like with the previous "Take Off!" spin-off, this was also another fun spin-off including some new faces to the cast.) 3/5

Last edited:
So I finished off showing the last 9 episodes of Knights of Sidonia to the neighbor couple last night in my theater. They loved this series so much they burned through all 24 episodes in only 3 viewing sessions, 6+9+9, and they even wanted to watch and jump around in their seats to the OP for Season 1 every episode, too, lol. Like Space Battleship Yamato 2199, this was another Battlestar Galactica type anime, so they were glued to their seats the entire time!

Not sure yet what the next series will be on the viewing list for me to show to the neighbors, I was thinking maybe Kurau Phantom Memory or ⁷, perhaps - going for something a little more obscure but still two very goiod scifi anime series.
You shown them Human Lost, movie by the same studio. It's really good and if they like Sidonia they will like it too

WONDER EGG PRIORITY (Japanese audio) - Episode 12 (Completed, Next Episode Coming Later in the Year)

And that pretty much concludes my Winter 2021 simulcast line-up, and I have to admit this is one of the strongest seasons in a long while. Granted many of that is because we had delayed titles from 2020 brought into this slate in return. I don't know how I'll be handling the Spring 2021 line-up but I will be attempting another catalog of anime soon.

I haven't finished last season or caught up with the simulwatch, so let's watch some of the new shows instead 😅

Koikimo: It's Disgusting to Call This Love ep 1
Hmmm 20-something businessman gets saved by high school girl then relentlessly persues her and gets off on her barbed words of rejection. Some amusing moments, but fear the "joke" might get old very quickly.
Not sure who this is aimed at: girls who want handsome men to persue them or salarymen who wish to date high school girls (I'm assuming they will end up together).

Jouran: The Princess of Snow and Blood ep 1
Alternate history Japan (1931) and people with supernatural powers. Tick and tick.
The art style looks cool as well.

MARS RED ep 1
Historical Japan (1923) with vampires! Wasn't quite as attention grabbing as Jouran.

Joran: The Princess of Snow and Blood episode 1 I’m liking the artstyle, hopefully a good story can follow.

Log Horizon: Destruction of the Round Table episode 12 The one. (Complete. A very solid third season which dealt nicely with the inner conflict and strifes associated with the aforementioned “destruction” before ending with a good arc which gave way to some character developments. Hopefully a fourth season can happen eventually.) 3.5/5

MARS RED
episode 1 Another historical themed anime with supernatural leanings - will give this a shot.

X (TV) episodes 13-24 (Complete. Unlike the rushed film adaptation this felt like a better presentation of the story overall, fleshing out the characters, their motivations and the twists that came with the narrative developments. A decent watch overall.) 3.5/5

Full Dive: This Ultimate Next-Gen Full Dive RPG Is Even Shittier than Real Life! Episode 1 Another long titled anime that's already looking like a fun series.

EDENS ZERO Episode 1-2 A solid and promising start.

Redo of Healer (Uncensored) Episode 12 Gangbang. (Complete. There is absolutely nothing that can be said about this that can even be described in anyway positive. Overall a very controversial guilty pleasure series for both the right and wrong reasons.) 3.5/5

Gurren Lagann eps 4-6

Otherside Picnic eps 9-12 (complete)
This started out rather intriguing, but instead of a search for the friend through a strange landscape and through many dangerous situations it became a bit of a monster of the week show and most of the danger was lessened by the fact that they could easily get back to the real world, and then in the end they just forgot about finding the friend altogether.
The characters were also a bit bland as was the art and animation.
6/10

Wonder Egg Priority
ep 12 (complete)
Stronger.
It's a shame that, for what ever reason, they couldn't finish it in one sitting. I have no idea why as it's an original story and as such should have been planned to fit the schedule or if they really felt they needed the extra episode to ask for one. Maybe they changed their mind about the ending late in production and thus they had to do that recap episode and shuffle things around and thus there was no time to make a new last episode to fit after this one.
I did feel it lost a little steam towards the end and the reveal that it was indeed the teacher that caused Koito's death was a little obvious, also Momo's fights were always against molesters/rapists and each one seemed to be how much more horrible can we make the situation that caused the suicide than the last one whereas the other girls seemed a bit more trivial (definitely the wrong way to word it, but I'm not sure how to put it), but it was a bit of a disconnect between their stories.
Art and animation were great, but overall (for now) I'm giving it:
8/10

Uma Musume: Pretty Derby
s2 e13 (complete)
Determination.
The story was a much more serious affair than the first season, so on one hand I'm like "they've turned my CHGDCHGT show into a drama", but on the other I'm like "that ending was so emotional 😭". I think as it wasn't really what I was looking for from this series and because it did become a little repetitive training, race, injury, training, race injury, and yet more training and a final race! So I'm going to mark it down one from the first season.
7/10

Heaven's Design Team ep 13 (CR)/Special (MAL)
Demanding client.
Nice extra episode, as it's a separate entry on MAL I'll just give it the same score as the series.
7/10

Yuru Camp△
s2 e13 (complete)
Tadaima.
More of the same comfy times. Nuff said!
9/10

Just Redo and Horimiya to go for this season.

Last edited:
Wonder Egg Priority ep 12 (complete)
Stronger.
It's a shame that, for what ever reason, they couldn't finish it in one sitting. I have no idea why as it's an original story and as such should have been planned to fit the schedule or if they really felt they needed the extra episode to ask for one. Maybe they changed their mind about the ending late in production and thus they had to do that recap episode and shuffle things around and thus there was no time to make a new last episode to fit after this one.
The issue was that the show was a production disaster resulting from the schedule just not giving them enough time for such an ambitious production. The series was never meant to have a recap episode, later episodes were finished hours before broadcast, employees were hospitalized, there was a ridiculous amount of 2nd key animators towards the end. Frankly it's a miracle we got 11 of the planned episodes. Episode 12 was pushed back due to it not fitting the broadcast schedule, same as Azur Lane and its remaining episodes a while back.

It's an unfortunate fact that ambitious works like Wonder Egg Priority just aren't suited for an industry that throws out 50 series every season with no regard for workload or staff health. Certainly speaks volumes about the industry when Crunchyroll will give out an industry icon award to a studio president who jokes about animators surviving on energy bars.

Adachi and Shimamura (English Dub) Episode 7

Cells at Work: CODE BLACK (English Dub) Episode 4

Dr. STONE: Stone Wars (English Dub) Episode 5

The Quintessential Quintuplets II (English Dub) Episode 2

Yuru Camp△ Season 2 Episode 13 (Complete. A delightful continuation and yet another enjoyably relaxing season from this SoL anime that once again provided us with more comfy episodes. I would definitely love a third season.) 4.5/5

production disaster
Can't have helped with them making 3 shows this season. They also made Horimiya which turned out fine (I'm not sure if less action = less work or not?) and The Promised Neverland s2 which did not for different reasons, although that also had a recap and I think I remember hearing they were recruiting people like crazy on Twitter!
It's an unfortunate fact that ambitious works like Wonder Egg Priority just aren't suited for an industry that throws out 50 series every season with no regard for workload or staff health.
Yeah. There are some studios that take it slow and steady. Trigger and KyoAni always seem to be able to show up when they want rather than release something every season.
Maybe they have the clout to be able to do it due to reputation built over the years, but they both always deliver in terms of excellence as well, you do have to wonder why other studios don't follow. No doubt some are headed by old timers who think in an old fashioned way or bean counters who only care about how much money they can make.

Back