Your viewing journal

Attack on Titan: The Final Season episode 70 Refute.

Boruto: Naruto Next Generations episode 187 The power of karma.

Mushoku Tensei: Jobless Reincarnation episode 7 Methods of dance.

Non Non Biyori Nonstop episode 7 Teacher and pupil.

Yatogame-Chan, Kansatsu Nikki 3 episode 7 Mayonnaise overload.

The Law of Ueki episodes 1-12

Attack on Titan: The Final Season (English Dub) Episode 66

Attack on Titan: The Final Season Episode 70 Contradiction.

Mushoku Tensei: Jobless Reincarnation Episode 7 Dance tips.

Non Non Biyori Nonstop Episode 7 Parents day.

Yatogame-chan Kansatsu Nikki Season 3 Episode 7 Excessive.

The Anthem of the Heart (Japanese) Film

Here’s one that I didn’t really know what to expect but what I got was a very heartwarming movie. It starts off setting you up for an absolute downer of a story but when it gets rolling, it’s more about each character’s pursuit of being a better person, overcoming their problems, and trying to figure out who they are. It holds a very common message that we’re always in our own way and we’re our own worst enemies but it’s conveyed in a way that’s so earnest and endearing. There’s some really nice use of the egg visual metaphor and how it shifts it later on, the editing is also very nice with multiple scene transitions that serve to add to the narrative. The one fault I have with the movie is the somewhat underdeveloped character relationships, one pair of characters gets the lions share of the movie to develop but when it ends up switching some expectations near the end of the movie, all the final pairings feel... off because the other two relationships go almost unacknowledged for majority of the movie, save a few scenes. Overall, this is a movie that will stick with me and I will undoubtedly come back to.

Otherside Picnic episode 8 Cat ninjas.

Suppose a Kid from the Last Dungeon Boonies moved into a Starter Town? episode 8 The arrangement.

True Cooking Master Boy 2nd Season episode 19 Duck dishes and deception.

Uma Musume: Pretty Derby Season 2 episode 8 Something like fate.

The Law of Ueki episodes 13-26

Mushoku Tensei: Jobless Reincarnation (English Dub) Episode 2

Azur Lane: Slow Ahead! Episode 7 Spotless.

Otherside Picnic Episode 8 Ninja felines.

Suppose a Kid From the Last Dungeon Boonies Moved to a Starter Town Episode 8 Agreement.

Uma Musume: Pretty Derby Season 2 Episode 8 Fate or destiny?

Hokuto no Ken - Episodes 81 - 83

Now into the final story arc of Hokuto no Ken.

Demon Hero Wataru - Episodes 1 - 5

Watching this for the next series review on the mecha podcast.

Back Arrow - Episodes 6 & 7

After it's shaky start I'm beginning to quite enjoy Back Arrow now.

Last edited:
Ajin Season 1 (Japanese) - Episodes 9-13 Complete

So I quite enjoyed this but I am looking forward to the second season a lot more. This is mainly because it felt like there’s a chunk of setup here in the first season that could have maybe been glanced over or better explored via flashbacks, rather than a whole section of Kei wandering the woods training with his IBM while Sato sets up his master plan. With it being Polygon, the animation is at least solid throughout but stylistically it didn’t always land with me, though I do appreciate the attempt at a different approach, the mix of 3D characters and models against hyper stylised 2D backgrounds is... interesting, if nothing else. Overall, a decent series with a good soundtrack and a good OP and ED (I’m a sucker for a bit of Mamuro Miyano).

Black Clover episode 165 Aquatic attack.

That Time I Got Reincarnated as a Slime 2nd Season episode 31 Disintegration.

The Law of Ueki episodes 27-39

Chidori RSC (Rifle is Beautiful) (English Dub) Episode 8

Food Wars! Shokugeki no Soma: The Fourth Plate (English Dub) Episode 1-12 (Complete)

That Time I Got Reincarnated as a Slime 2nd Season Episode 31 Aftermath.

World Witches Series: World Witches Take Off! Episode 7 Helping hand.

Chiming in with these, dude. You've been watching some neat stuff.

Momotaro Sacred Sailors (Japanese) Film
. . .
Someone also mentioned that due to the nature of film it’s the only entry on their MyAnimeList they haven’t scored
[raises hand]
✋😯
That was me. Yeah, you too, eh?

I hope you'll enjoy the book that comes with it. (I've yet to read it myself.) It's by anime expert Jonathan Clements. He's one of my favourite writers.

The Case of Hana & Alice (Japanese) Film
. . .
I am curious if there was a reason this was chosen over doing either live action or traditional animation
This is one of my very favourite films.

I'm not completely sure, but I know the reason why it's animated rather than live action, and that's because although it's a prequel, it was made 11 years after the original Hana & Alice, and so director Shunji Iwai's two actresses are older. By making it in animation, though, the characters can be drawn however he wants.

I guess the choice of rotoscoping is because that it still allows Yū Aoi and Anne Suzuki to act in it and retains an element of their performance.

Very interested to watch the original Hana & Alice movie now, which this acts a prequel too, from a cursory glance online it’s become a bit hard to find tho.
I've wanted to see it ever since watching the prequel too, but... yeah. 😕
It's a big shame.

The Anthem of the Heart (Japanese) Film

Here’s one that I didn’t really know what to expect but what I got was a very heartwarming movie.
Another favourite of mine and one of the few Mari Okada-penned works that I've gelled with.

It's actually gone up in my estimation with each watch. I felt it a bit spoiled by Okada melodrama when I first saw it, but it's sitting as 9 out of 10 on my MAL now because of its genuinely moving musical performance near the climax.

Great character designs, too.

Ajin Season 1 (Japanese) - Episodes 9-13 Complete
. . .
(I’m a sucker for a bit of Mamuro Miyano).
Heh, you too, eh? He's one of my favourite VAs.

###

Also, indulging in my first bit of simulcasting since Darling in the FranXX and Pop Team Epic in 2018, I'm currently watching Back Arrow seeing as how I love writer Kazuki Nakashima's work. Still catching up, so I've only seen up to and including episode 3. It's pretty derivative so far, but very enjoyable.

(And Kai's Briheight is clearly Eva Unit-02. 😛)

Last edited:
Cardcaptor Sakura, which I have been meaning to finish for literally like, over a decade, I am now on checks episode 63. It really is a delightful series! Watching in Japanese with English subs, and after I finish the series I will watch the two movies and then Clear Card (unless I think Clear Card is rubbish lol). :)

[raises hand]
✋😯
That was me. Yeah, you too, eh?
Ah! I couldn't seem to see the post again in the actual thread.
It seems the best way to rate the movie is to not rate it at all, at least on somewhere like MAL, where that's all you can really see abot someone's thoughts on anything while looking at their list. I also rate purely based on my how I feel about something rather than my actual critical evaluation of it like Sword Art Online being a 10 when... realistically it's around maybe a solid 6 or 7. So, with Momotaro where I feel almost nothing for it and it's purely a critical viewing, it seems best to leave it unscored, similarly with Spider and Tulip.

I hope you'll enjoy the book that comes with it. (I've yet to read it myself.) It's by anime expert Jonathan Clements. He's one of my favourite writers.
I really enjoy Jonathan Clements work, I also own his Anime: A History book and make sure to listen to any AL podcast he's appeared on!

I'm not completely sure, but I know the reason why it's animated rather than live action, and that's because although it's a prequel, it was made 11 years after the original Hana & Alice, and so director Shunji Iwai's two actresses are older. By making it in animation, though, the characters can be drawn however he wants.

I guess the choice of rotoscoping is because that it still allows Yū Aoi and Anne Suzuki to act in it and retains an element of their performance.
That would make sense as the reason, I'll need to read the booklet that comes with the collector's edition to see if there's any clarification on it.

one of the few Mari Okada-penned works that I've gelled with.
This is the only written work I've seen by her so far. I think everything else I've seen has been with her working on series composition like with The Woman Called Fujiko Mine and Iron-Blooded Orphans, I've really enjoyed both of these too.

Back