Your viewing journal

If you're watching Osomatsu-san, probably best to watch season 3 episode 16 ASAP before it gets taken down for copyright infringement. They did an almost shot-by-shot remake of Robocop followed by a lengthy They Live parody.

Otherside Picnic episode 4 Serious bad luck.

Suppose a Kid from the Last Dungeon Boonies moved into a Starter Town? episode 4 Soldier.

True Cooking Master Boy 2nd Season episode 15 Deception.

Uma Musume: Pretty Derby Season 2 episode 4 Fortunes and fables

Samurai Jack Season One Having not seen any episodes from the series since the mid 2000’s, I thought it was time to give this a proper watch. So far I’m very impressed.

Attack on Titan: The Final Season Episode 66 Obliteration.

Azur Lane: Slow Ahead! Episode 3

Otherside Picnic Episode 4 Illusion.

Suppose a Kid From the Last Dungeon Boonies Moved to a Starter Town Episode 4 Gunjin.

Uma Musume: Pretty Derby Season 2 Episode 4 Center of attention.

Girlish Number was next in my backlog from an MVM mystery box. Went in expecting cute girls doing cute things what I got was, well precisely that but also a somewhat realistic and cynical view of the anime industry and I kind of enjoyed it. When the subplot is better than the main plot.

Millenium Actress Genuinely a great movie. Did Vincentdante finally find a romance movie he can genuinely enjoy? It seems so. Not something I can rewatch in a hurry though with such a heavy theme but I think I have become a fan of this director after this and Perfect Blue knocked it out of the park.

Hokuto no Ken - Episodes 53 -60

Getting a touch formulaic in places but it's still a great show and I love the characters.

SD Gundam Mk I - Episodes 1- 3 [Final]

It's been over a decade since I saw this but there's a fansub from a better source available now so time for a re-watch. Still a fantastic parody of MS Gundam, Z & ZZ, Kamille's starry eyes still crack me up!

Back Arrow - Episode 2

This episode was ok after a bit of a throw everything at the wall first episode.

After War Gundam X (Japanese) - Episodes 1-7

This already has me more interested than Turn A which had a terribly paced set up and execution in the first few episodes but After War feels much more even, intrigued as to what direction it'll go.

Cyber City Oedo 808 (English, Manga Dub) - Episode 1

It's hard to judge this one because the Manga dub makes everything slightly ridiculous, while of course being highly entertaining to watch. I've heard that each episode focuses on one of the three main characters which definitely sounds like a good way to give them a decent amount of screen time but I'll be sad to not hear or see so much of Sengoku.

Cyber City Oedo 808 (English, Manga Dub) - Episode 1

It's hard to judge this one because the Manga dub makes everything slightly ridiculous, while of course being highly entertaining to watch. I've heard that each episode focuses on one of the three main characters which definitely sounds like a good way to give them a decent amount of screen time but I'll be sad to not hear or see so much of Sengoku.
He’s my fave character and this is my favourite episode... although I’ve not watched it in a while tbh. Hopefully watch my anime ltd set this weekend but I felt it was a missed opportunity not having him in the show more.

Black Clover episode 161 As a magic knight.

That Time I Got Reincarnated as a Slime 2nd Season episode 28 Hospitality.

Samurai Jack Season Two Another very solid season.

Chidori RSC (Rifle is Beautiful) (English Dub) Episode 5

That Time I Got Reincarnated as a Slime 2nd Season Episode 28

World Witches Series: World Witches Take Off! Episode 3

Wonder Egg Priority ep 3
We meet another girl who is buying eggs. She's s much more up beat than Ai and even a bit arrogant. The mask soon slips though and it turns out she's got her own hang ups.

Gundam: Reconguista in G (Japanese audio) - Episodes 22-26 (Completed)
Re:ZERO -Starting Life in Another World- Season 2 (Japanese audio) - Episode 17
WONDER EGG PRIORITY (Japanese audio) - Episode 3

Reconguista is a weird one. It's not a great show but neither is it bad either - it's basically a poorly executed but enjoyable enough of a mess to watch. The biggest issues comes from its story and characters. I have rough ideas on what is going on, but there's so many factions that keep swapping stances that it gets confusing as to who is the enemy or ally. Let's take Zeta Gundam for instance - that show had at least three main factions but unlike Reconguista, it was much easier to narrow down who's who and their motivations.

While I do like the main crew of the series, the motivations are not consistent and there's no real punishment involved for all of them. Characters quickly turn on the main crew for no reason or very stupid reasons. There's not even a proper villain out of all of this either. Heck there was a random plot-twist to explain how the MC could pilot his Gundam and I found that to be pretty out of place and was never really touched upon properly or made any big impact at all. Also, certain stuff happens and then gets either forgotten or shrugged over like it was nothing for the next episode/scene to then quickly skip to something else. Not to mention the biggest real issue in general from what I have heard is that Tomino, the Gundam creator, basically wanted to make a non-violent and kid-friendly Gundam series and this was the result. I don't mind that idea as this show does feel like the 1979 Gundam at times with its humour and tone, but I do think it could have at least taken some ideas from Zeta to make it more interesting.

That being said, the battle scenes were pretty good and some of the characters were again pretty interesting enough to watch as they go along. The pacing is certainly rushed but it did not bore me either. The art style is great and the animation is a frustrating one because the show is mostly 2D which is very impressive given the year the show came out but at the same time it keeps shifting from low-res MEGALOBOX style to proper high-res with the drawings so it feels incomplete or rushed at parts. There's also some weird editing here and there. Music is pretty good for Gundam standards though I keep thinking of that ZA WARUDO scene from JoJo Part 3 with a lot of the orchestra for this series.

Overall, Reconguista to me is at least a 5/10. Not great, but honestly watchable and you can get some enjoyment out of it. I'm curious to see if the five-part movie series will improve on the show but from the quick glances I have seen, probably not. Ending of the show wasn't that great either.

Hortensia SAGA episode 4 Troublesome duo.

Log Horizon: Destruction of the Round Table episode 3 Responsibility.

Re:Zero -Starting Life in Another World- 2nd Season Part 2 episode 42 Before the madness took over.

Samurai Jack Season Three

Akudama Drive ep3

Despite it being an anime original series, I can't help wondering if this was originally intended to be a game - it definitely feels like its structure owes a lot to both Danganronpa and the Nonary Games. Being able to advance the dialogue at your own pace would also help it along a bit. The show is not especially clever and, when it's trying to be clever, it can feel quite draggy. I'll stick with it yet, but I'm up and down on it.

Miss Hokusai (2015)

A well-mannered period biopic about the strained relationship between a dutiful but headstrong young painter, her physically weak infant sister and their father, the now iconic artist Hokusai, this was an engaging film with an appealing protagonist, but one which doesn't seem able to bring its episodic plot together into anything more than the sum of its parts. There are some nice moments along the way and it often seems on the cusp of saying something interesting about the mythical nature that art can take on, and the hold it can have on people, but like The Wind Rises a couple of years prior, it's all just a bit too... restrained?

Our Last Crusade or the Rise of a New World (English Dub) Episode 9

LBX Girls Episode 4 Hot and spicy.

Re:ZERO -Starting Life in Another World- 2nd Season Part 2 Episode 42 Prologue to insanity and madness.

Redo of Healer (Uncensored) Episode 1-3

Back