Your viewing journal

Hortensia SAGA episode 3 A new member.

Log Horizon: Destruction of the Round Table episode 2 Political strife.

Re:Zero -Starting Life in Another World- 2nd Season Part 2 episode 41 What are you afraid of?

Space Brothers episodes 31-42

Watched Angelic Layer from my back log. ... You know at least Goku was dead is a viable excuse for whenever the discussion about terrible parents in anime arises. Misaki's mum really took the cake.

It was enjoyable if kind of generic battle shonen, at least it didn't drown you in exposition and the fights only took an episode.

I've been trying to watch more anime recently, so I've been trying a couple things on netflix.

Kuroko's Basketball eps 1- 4 or 5

Well I wasn't sure I'd ever bother giving a sports shonen title a watch, but I've finally done it and I've taken my shot on Kuroko. Is this anime generally well received and considered a good example of its genre? I don't know anything about the show, but it seems like a pretty decent bit of sports shonen. It's almost exactly how I would have guessed it would be I suppose, it's got the 5 legendary rivals with preternatural superpower-esque abilities and the dude/team that wants to be the best in Japan. It's the classic formula, but it's not bad. The show looks nice to me, decent animation and I like the colour palette and settings. The characters are ok so far, mostly vaguely likable archetypes if not lovable yet, although Kuroko himself is by far my favourite, but of course there's plenty of potential for things to improve as we learn their backstories and they develop. The stupid shonenisms, as always, do grate on me "swear to strip naked and confess to the girl you like if we don't win the championship" ect, and the whole quest to become "no 1 in Japan" is such a tired and untouching goal. But that's where my hope lies, as the show seems to be planting seeds, through the character of Kuroko, of an eventual renunciation of such a bone headed hubristic ambition in favour of a simple love of playing the sport you love with the people you love. But maybe that's also just a part of the classic formula, I haven't watched enough shonen to know, but I hope that is the direction it goes in.

Violet Evergarden eps1-2

So I finally clicked on this, and it seems like a more interesting show than I assumed it would be, although I don't know why I assumed it wouldn't be, probably just because I tend to assume most things produced by netflix aren't great. Well firstly it's a visually beautiful show, gorgeous, it clearly has high production values. Although for me it's almost too beautiful; I'm not usually captivated much by the whole nostalgic idealised European aesthetic, and for me it's only made worse by how insanely beautiful looking everybody and everything in the show is. I can appreciate it sometimes but I can only handle small doses I think. It's like having too much sugar or being made to read Shakespeare's sonnets all day. Although of course there seems to be plenty of pain and darkness and melancholy in this show too, and maybe the prettiness was meant to contrast against those things, but it all just makes it feel all the more potentially cloying. But this could well win me over, there's plenty to appreciate and keep me watching, I like the set up about being a letter writer and trying to learn what love is through that, and I want to find out more about mysterious Violet. Why do the writers have to be so annoyingly called "auto memory dolls" though?

Last edited:
Dr. STONE: Stone Wars (Japanese audio) - Episodes 1-2
The Promised Neverland Season 2 (Japanese audio) - Episode 3
The Quintessential Quintuplets II (Japanese audio) - Episode 3

No.Anime Name:Eps.
Seen:
Ep.
Total:
Airing:
1​
Attack on Titan: The Final Season
(Shingeki no Kyojin: The Final Season)
6​
16​
Sundays 8:45pm
2​
BEASTARS Season 2
2​
12​
N/A
3​
Dr. STONE: Stone Wars
2​
11​
Thursdays 3:30pm
4​
Higurashi: When They Cry Gou
(Higurashi no Naku Koro Ni Gou)
(3)
24​
Thursdays 4:30pm
5​
Mushoku Tensei: Jobless Reincarnation Part 1
(Mushoku Tensei: Isekai Ittara Honki Dasu)
2​
11​
Sundays 4:00pm
6​
The Promised Neverland Season 2
(Yakusoku no Neverland 2nd Season)
3​
11​
Wednesdays 3:00pm
7​
The Quintessential Quintuplets II
(5-toubun no Hanayome ∬)
2​
12​
Thursdays 9:00pm
8​
Re:ZERO -Starting Life in Another World- Season 2 Part 2
(Re:Zero kara Hajimeru Isekai Seikatsu 2nd Season Part 2)
3​
12​
Wednesdays 3:30pm
9​
So I'm a Spider, So What?
(Kumo Desu ga, Nani ka?)
2​
24​
Fridays 2:30pm
10​
Suppose a Kid from the Last Dungeon Boonies moved to a starter town?
(Tatoeba Last Dungeon Mae no Mura no Shounen ga Joban no Machi de Kurasu Youna Monogatari)
3​
12​
Mondays 2:30pm
11​
WONDER EGG PRIORITY
2​
12​
Tuesdays 3:00pm

Cells at Work! CODE BLACK episode 5 Goad.

Cells at Work! 2nd Season episode 3 Harmful materials.

Dr. Stone: Stone Wars episode 2 Information warfare.

Heaven's Design Team episode 3 Out of hand.

Higurashi: When They Cry - NEW episode 16 Ritual.

The Promised Neverland 2nd Season episode 15 Horizons.

Yuru Camp△ 2nd Season episode 3 Unagi goodness.

Space Brothers episodes 43-51

Cells at Work BLACK ep 5
A stressful day at work.

Cells at Work s2 e3
A spotty situation.

The Promised Neverland s2 e3
Free range.

Heaven's Design Team ep 3

Dr. Stone s2 e2
Information warfare.

The Quintessential Quintuplets s2 e3
I'm slightly confused as to what's going on after that episode.

Yuru Camp△ s2 e3
Aaaaaaaaand relaaaaaaax!
PS_App_20210122_121237.jpeg

I've been trying to watch more anime recently, so I've been trying a couple things on netflix.

Violet Evergarden eps1-2

I like the set up about being a letter writer and trying to learn what love is through that, and I want to find out more about mysterious Violet. Why do the writers have to be so annoyingly called "auto memory dolls" though?
That was explained in the exposition about the inventor of the typewriter with Erica looking through the bookstore front window at the end of (I believe) episode 2, as the ED music was playing. Although, a few of the fansubs I've seen translated that phrase to "Auto Memoir Doll," which to me makes much more sense in describing a typewriter than "Auto Memory Doll."

Jujustu Kaisen (Japanese audio) - Episodes 1-3
So I'm a Spider, So What? (Japanese audio) - Episode 3
That Time I Got Reincarnated as a Slime OAD (Japanese audio) - OVA Episode 1

No.Anime Name:Eps.
Seen:
Ep.
Total:
Airing:
1​
Attack on Titan: The Final Season
(Shingeki no Kyojin: The Final Season)
6​
16​
Sundays 8:45pm
2​
BEASTARS Season 2
(1)
12​
N/A
3​
Dr. STONE: Stone Wars
2​
11​
Thursdays 3:30pm
4​
Higurashi: When They Cry Gou
(Higurashi no Naku Koro Ni Gou)
(3)
24​
Thursdays 4:30pm
5​
Jujutsu Kaisen
(12)
24​
Fridays 6:45pm
6​
Mushoku Tensei: Jobless Reincarnation Part 1
(Mushoku Tensei: Isekai Ittara Honki Dasu)
2​
11​
Sundays 4:00pm
7​
The Promised Neverland Season 2
(Yakusoku no Neverland 2nd Season)
3​
11​
Wednesdays 3:00pm
8​
The Quintessential Quintuplets II
(5-toubun no Hanayome ∬)
2​
12​
Thursdays 9:00pm
9​
Re:ZERO -Starting Life in Another World- Season 2 Part 2
(Re:Zero kara Hajimeru Isekai Seikatsu 2nd Season Part 2)
3​
12​
Wednesdays 3:30pm
10​
So I'm a Spider, So What?
(Kumo Desu ga, Nani ka?)
2​
24​
Fridays 2:30pm
11​
Suppose a Kid from the Last Dungeon Boonies moved to a starter town?
(Tatoeba Last Dungeon Mae no Mura no Shounen ga Joban no Machi de Kurasu Youna Monogatari)
3​
12​
Mondays 2:30pm
12​
WONDER EGG PRIORITY
2​
12​
Tuesdays 3:00pm

Re:Zero S2 Ep.16-I keep coming back to this show-Sabaru is a classic study in angst, Emilia is sweet but flawed. The show has a split personality, at times times it can be very pleasant but then it turns into a gorefest.

Back Arrow episode 3 New start?

Jujutsu Kaisen (TV) episode 15 A plan to kill?

So I'm a Spider, So What? episode 3 Pitfall.

Space Brothers episodes 52-67

Laid Back Camp S2 ep3

Rin's Daffy Duck-style reaction face seems a bit out of left-field, but sure, why not. This also made eel look appetising...

Akudama Drive ep2

The direction felt rather noticeably pedestrian in this episode, which is a shame, the visuals are rather impressive otherwise.

Grey: Digital Target (1987)

Finally got around to this one, after hearing some of the soundtrack put me in the mood for it. There's nothing in Grey that I don't think I've seen in other post-apocalyptic sci-fi anime, but rarely have I seen so many genre tropes comprehensively crammed into the one film before, and that's kind of endearing. I'm curious to know how it compares with the manga though; the anime tends to feel like a series of often exposition heavy vignettes, rather than a continuous story, and I'm not sure if that's something that comes of it being an adaptation, or if the source material was just like that anyway.

January 19th - 22nd.

Chidori RSC (Rifle is Beautiful) (English Dub) Episode 4

Angel's 3Piece! Episode 1-12 (Complete. A comfy musical-SoL anime that provided some decent viewing with it's music performances whilst also remaining comfortably relaxing in bertween with its SoL character interactions.) 3.5/5

Cells at Work!! 2nd Season Episode 3 Spot of bother.

Cells at Work! CODE BLACK Episode 5 Stressfully overworked.

Dr. STONE: Stone Wars Episode 2 Communication warfare.

LBX Girls Episode 3 Suicide.

Re:ZERO -Starting Life in Another World- 2nd Season Part 2 Episode 41 What is it that scares you?

That Time I Got Reincarnated as a Slime 2nd Season Episode 26 Negotiation talks.

The Promised Neverland Season 2 Episode 3 Next step.

The Quintessential Quintuplets II Episode 3 Disguise.

World Witches Series: World Witches Take Off! Episode 2 Double danger.

Yuru Camp△ Season 2 Episode 3 Relaxing.

Grey: Digital Target (1987)

Finally got around to this one, after hearing some of the soundtrack put me in the mood for it. There's nothing in Grey that I don't think I've seen in other post-apocalyptic sci-fi anime, but rarely have I seen so many genre tropes comprehensively crammed into the one film before, and that's kind of endearing. I'm curious to know how it compares with the manga though; the anime tends to feel like a series of often exposition heavy vignettes, rather than a continuous story, and I'm not sure if that's something that comes of it being an adaptation, or if the source material was just like that anyway.
i’ve had this to watch for awhile I need to get round to it. Did you like it?

Code Geass Movie Trilogy

These movies were really exhausting endeavours to watch. Being recaps/retellings/newtimeliney things there’s just so much going on in each one and they’re all over 2 hours long. The second movie, Transgression, felt the least exhausting since they decided to axe a good chunk of the season 2 content it would’ve covered and instead montaged a bunch of stuff, which is partly a sub story that leads to a certain death in the TV series but the movies keep them alive, probably the biggest change of the whole thing tbh. Glorification, the final movie, was the most movie feeling one of the lot, it had the least ground to cover and could pretty much just go full in on what was left. Now I can finally watch Re;surrection.

Millennium Actress (Japanese audio) - Film

A Satoshi Kon film that I had never seen prior, and now I have thanks to the 4K Ultra HD disc. The best way to describe it, is a mix between Memories of Matsuko combined with Satoshi Kon and Susumu Hirasawa's style. It's a great but sad film overall and honestly it's worth a watch as you would expect. The only issue I had was that the blend between dream and reality did get a bit too loose to the point where it was confusing me a bit, but in general I understood the whole storyline.

Back