Your viewing journal

Yuss, you're spot-on, Prof. For what it's worth, Google Translate gives tai 隊 as "corps".

(Your post's from 5 December; can you tell I've fallen behind with reading this thread? 😅)

Interesting. The only reason I remember Shoujo Tai particularly is that they did the original opening (and possibly also the ending?) theme for the first Dominion OVA. It could just be an absolute coincidence, but with their cropped hairdos, two of the members look like they might have been the original design reference for Leona.

Ghost in the Shell 2: Innocence (sub)
I know Batou is a changed man after the events of the first film, but when did he ever spout the philosophical quotes he did here, just seemed a bit out of character.

Batou definitely feels more like a self-insert for Oshii himself in the second film, although I suppose it's possible that his more introspective Stand Alone Complex incarnation might also have influenced the way he's been written for Innocence.

Peace Maker Kurogane episodes 19-24 (complete. Some brutal battles to be found here amongst the comedy and more lighthearted content.) 3.5/5

Penguin Highway (Film)
A fantastical premise that lends to some quirky iconography and nice visuals. 3.5/5

Place to Place
episodes 1-6

Flowers of Evil ep1-5
Man this show is hard to watch. I realise it's by design but everything about it is so unpleasant, from the animation and designs to the story and characters. I certainly cant binge watch it like other shows.
Man... innit, though! 😅

I checked my own MAL, and it shows that I last watched it back in 2015 when MVM released it; that remains the one and only time. I... really haven't had the courage to repeat it because it's so disturbing.

I don't know what episode you're on, but there's a real turning point in the story (where there's no going back for our weak-willed protagonist) followed by a striking scene that's probably my most enduring memory of having watched it.

Fair warning, though, dude: the anime adapts what was at the time an ongoing manga, so you won't get the completed story. In fact, what you will get is a flash forward to events you'll never get to see now.
↑Probably best to only read that last bit after finishing the series.

Hokuto no Ken - Episodes 34 - 39

Evil Dragon War Chronicles - Episodes 1 - 3 [Final]

I've had Maryuu Senki on the watch list for some time now as it's a good candidate for the podcast, and knowing it had similar themes to Wicked City and Demon City Shinjuku it felt like a good time to watch it.

followed by a striking scene that's probably my most enduring memory of having watched it.
Yeah that was definitely striking! I really loved the way that was constructed with the fantastic accompanying music (the music I thought was another highlight of the series for me and very well matched to the mood).

Haven't read the manga yet and if I'm not mistaken the creators did plan a second season for the anime (given the teaser at the end) but that unfortunately looks highly unlikely now. I still felt, in that knowledge, that they ended the anime at a good point where it did seem like a self-contained story/arc.

I finished rewatching The Twelve Kingdoms on the Discotek Blu-ray release and it's just sooo good I love it so much. Have now started rewatching Scrapped Princess :)
Does Twelve Kingdoms take a while to become good? I have the first episode from an old Newtype cover-disc, but my only memory of it is that the protagonist was whiny, and the genki girl who offered to take her place was shot down because she wasn't The One.

Does Twelve Kingdoms take a while to become good? I have the first episode from an old Newtype cover-disc, but my only memory of it is that the protagonist was whiny, and the genki girl who offered to take her place was shot down because she wasn't The One.

Maybe a little while? I suppose it depends on what you like - protagonists described as whiny usually don't bother me in the slightest and also Youko definitely develops a lot as a character over the series anyway, and has many good points. They do interesting things with the other girl as well :) I would definitely consider it worth sticking with even if you do not like the first episode, and I think you'll like Youko a lot more as the series goes on :)

Uma Musume: Pretty Derby s2 e1
Grand ambitions.
And they're off, good to see them back!

Otherside Picnic ep 1
OK, intriguing. Hopefully we get a bit more info on what's going on in the next few episodes.

That is the Bottleneck eps 11 & 12 (complete)
Interesting short with a unique art style. The plot was intriguing, but had a bit of a weak end.
6/10

The Big O
Episodes 21 - 26 (complete)

An interesting series with a twist to the ending

DN Angel
Episodes 1 - 5

Next title from my older backpile, bit of light hearted romantic comedy with some thieving.

Suppose a Kid from the Last Dungeon Boonies moved to a starter town? - The trailers for this looked pretty bad, but decided to watch episode 1 anyway. I am surprised that I actually quite enjoyed it, so far it's kinda like the kid from By the Grace of the Gods without the isekai baggage, who has moved to a 'starting town' which is inhabited by characters that would easily fit into Konosuba.

If you're watching with the English dub, yeah, the protagonist is very whiny for about the first 4-5 episodes, but then the anime really takes off from there.

Otherside Picnic episode 1 Could be an interesting story - will tune in for the next few episodes and see how it progresses.

Suppose a Kid from the Last Dungeon Boonies moved into a Starter Town? episode 1 Another long titled anime but otherwise it looks fun enough so far.

Uma Musume: Pretty Derby Season 2 episode 1 Back to the races.

Place to Place episodes 7-12 & OVA (Complete. Cute and easygoing is the best description for this I feel. The characters had a solid comedic chemistry throughout.) 3.5/5

Planetarian
episodes 1-5 (Complete. A post-apocalyptic story centring around a Companion Robot and a “junker” who form an unlikely bond. It’s a solid little series though there’s still a film to watch also.) 3.5/5

Black Clover episode 158 Musclebound.

Gekidol episode 1 Theatrics.

Planeterian: Hoshi no Hito (Film) Though a sequel to the series, it also acts as a recap film, with around 30 or so minutes of new content. The new content acted as a poignant epilogue to the ONA. 3/5

Plastic Memories
episodes 1-7

Great Pretender eps 11-14 (case 3)
Again not quite as fun as the first case, but I liked the backstory aspect a lot. I'm guessing we're going to get Laurent's backstory in case 4 as it seems to be a pattern with Makoto's in case 1, Abi's in case 2 and Cynthia's in case 3, plus the very last shot of episode 14 seemed to hint at it.

Back