Your viewing journal

Golden Kamuy Season 3 episode 11

AKB0048: Next Stage episodes 10-13 (End)
While it may not be Macross this show still has a focus on space, music and that ridiculous style Shoji Kawamori is known for. Space idols that fight with microphone sabers and missile glowsticks while also piloting mechs and saving the galaxy with the power of music is exactly what I expect from Kawamori and I love it. Only real issues were the unnecessary fanservice and Nagisa's lack of presence despite being the main character. I would've probably been more invested in the story if they focused more on Yoko, Takamina or Kanata.

Snow White with the Red Hair [Rewatch] episode 1
Doing a rewatch in preparation for season 2. Had good memories of this show so I'm not sure why I didn't immediately continue with season 2 back then.

SeriesFormatStatus
Grimoire of Zero12 episode seriesWatched
Show By Rock!!12 episode seriesWatched
AKB004813 episode seriesWatched
Hidamari Sketch x Hoshimittsu12 episode seriesWatched
Hidamari Sketch x Hoshimittsu Specials2 episode specialWatched
AKB0048: Next Stage13 episode seriesWatched
Snow White with the Red Hair [Rewatch]13 episode seriesWatching
Snow White with the Red Hair 2nd Season13 episode seriesPlanned
Gatchaman Crowds Insight: Inbound1 episode specialPlanned
Gatchaman Crowds Insight12 episode seriesPlanned

Our Last Crusade or the Rise of a New World (English Dub) Episode 7

Adachi and Shimamura Episode 11 Talk.

DOGEZA: I Tried Asking Episode 10 Reference material.

Our Last Crusade or the Rise of a New World Episode 11 Skill set.

Strike Witches: Road to Berlin Episode 11 All out assault.

Super HxEros (Uncensored) Episode 5

Yunna and the Haunted Hot Springs OVA Episode 4 Lewdness overload. (Complete. These were a fun few OVA's. It was also good to see the other main characters make an appearance and get some screen time.) 3.5/5

Hokuto no Ken - Episodes 9 - 12

These next two I last watched on VHS at least 20 or so years ago...

Leda: The Fantastic Adventures of Yohko (Blu-ray)

I had memories of really liking Leda and it holds up really well all these years later, it's a fantastic OVA with an engaging story and great action scenes and still looks amazing, I can definitely recommend it.

Wicked City (Blu-ray)

I picked up the Manga Ent set with Demon City Shinjuku and in some ways I think Wicked City is an OVA that hasn't aged that well. I enjoyed watching it again, I like the dark brooding atmosphere in it and it still has some excellent action sequences but it feels painfully slow at times, especially between the key action scenes. I don't remember it being quite like this but it was new and shiny back in the 90's and I have seen a lot more anime since then.

Lupin III Part IV English dub
What a fun show. Good capers, great characters, plot that knows when to go dramatic. Just a really good and easy watch. Zenigata was on top form in this series! Enjoyed him so much. What I assume are new cast for this series Nix and Rebecca were great additions that you didn't trust at first but hrew to like as much as the rest. The only episode I didn't care for was the Akechi Holms one which was obnoxious. But otherwise this show didnt really put a foot wrong.

Edit: just watched the bonus feature with Ellyn Stern and Richard Epcar who were the ADR directors for the dub. Was really interesting. They under a lot of pressure to get the dub done. Had to work 9am to 11pm every day for a month to get it done to the studios timetable. Had to adapt the script on the fly as they were only given a translation which didnt flap match to work with and other issues they had to work around. But you got real feel for how much they loved the franchise and the characters, especially Richard Epcar who has played various characters in the franchise over the years. Was fascinating.

Last edited:
I'm Standing on a Million Lives (Japanese audio) - Episode 12 (Complete)

This isekai series honestly in my opinion has a lot of potential, but the anime adaptation feels very wasted in terms of production. Characters are hit or miss and the story is rather average in places, but I do think it can pick up with Season 2 when it airs in July 2021. It's definitely got my interest in the manga that Kodansha Comics is publishing at the very least. 6/10.

Is it Wrong to Try to Pick Up Girls in a Dungeon? III (Japanese audio) - Episode 12 (Complete)

While the second season progressed more in terms of story, this season felt much better in terms of pacing, animation and the arc itself. I was made aware this particular arc was not liked as much as others in the novels but I enjoyed it more than expected. The ending fight is disappointing but animation was superb. While you could say "nothing really happens" in terms of the main plot or the main group itself, it's provided some nice side stuff and setup for future events. 8/10.

Mutafukaz (AKA MFKZ) (dub)
It been over 2 years since I saw this at the cinema and since Manga have done absolutely FA with it since I thought I'd use my digital passport trial to give another watch. It's on Netflix in the States, English dub only though which is the version I saw at the cinema and whilst it's the one that fits the best (the city in the film is clearly based on LA) it would be interesting to see the French or Japanese dub.
Pretty much everything I said back then is true:
Not bad at all. The backgrounds, action and soundtrack were all brilliant and the animation pretty slick for the most part. There were some cool references including a couple to GTA. The character designs are quite Batman-ish (no surprise given the same studio did some Batman OVAs), although a few are weirdly non-human and not given an explanation as to why apart from the MC which actually makes sense within the plot. The plot itself is OK, but the ending was a bit of a let down in few ways.
8/10
To expand on the point about the ending it was very rushed and the MC just goes back to his s**ty life and doesn't get the girl. There is a hint there might be more. I might read the comic if there's an English version.
I want to watch Tekkon Kinkreet now, I have seen it before, but not for aaaaaaages. Seems it's not online at all!

Saiki K. S2 ep2-4

I wonder what the story is with the bishonen-style still shots of the cast that appear between the skits. Given the show's generally rather workmanlike appearance, it feels like a very troll-y reposte to someone telling them they needed to increase their sex appeal...

Vladlove ep1

Well, that was interesting. I wasn't blown away by it, but I would definitely be onboard, if any of the streaming services pick it up.

Any fears I had about Mamoru Oshii's involvement being largely ceremonial were quickly put to bed - it absolutely screams Oshii from the word go, with live-action cuts, esoteric jokes and very theatrical looking shot composition. Based on the first episode, it feels more akin to Oshii's later solo OVA projects than Urusei Yatsura though; kind of like what you might get if he made part of the Monogatari franchise.

VLADLOVE episode 1
Really enjoyed that first episode. Definitely looking forward to seeing more of this slapstick yuri vampire series. Not really too familiar with Mamoru Oshii's works so I'll probably have to check out Ghost in the Shell and Jin-Roh soon.

Assault Lily BOUQUET episode 11 Manipulate.

Haikyu!!: To the Top 2nd Season episode 25 Conclusion. (Complete. Another strong season, always looking forward to more in the future.) 4/5

I'm Standing on a Million Lives episode 12 Falling. (Complete. With Season 2 coming next year I’m interested to see how this develops - a decent watch so far with room to improve.) 3.5/5

Is It Wrong to Try to Pick Up Girls in a Dungeon? III
episode 12 Path. (Complete. Another solid season, I’m not quite sure which out of this or II that I liked the most but I’ll happily watch IV when it eventually comes out.) 3.5/5

Jujutsu Kaisen (TV)
episode 12 Laughter and loss.

MajoTabi, The Journey of Elaina episode 12 Deconstruction (Complete. A fantasy series that features elements of both SoL and more tragic elements depending on the storyline. I liked the variety overall.) 3.5/5

TONIKAWA: Over the Moon For You
episode 12 Sickness. (Complete. A pleasant series with a solid central couple at its core.) 3.5/5

Naruto Shippuden (Rewatch)
episodes 300-302, 321-335

Last edited:
Love Live! Nijigasaki High School Idol Club episode 12
Surprisingly well handled after the previous episode's ending. It didn't go full yuri (it is Love Live after all) but that sure was some heavy subtext.

Gal & Dino episode 12 Listener. (Complete. The animated segments had some occasional charm though I rarely bothered with the latter live-action portions, hence my overall rating.) 2.5/5

Is the Order a Rabbit? BLOOM
episode 11 Cheers.

Iwa Kakeru!: Sport Climbing Girls episode 12 The final climb. (Complete. A sport that isn’t often seen in anime and a story that had its moments but also some pacing issues in the latter half.) 3/5

Love Live! Nijigasaki Gakuen School Idol Doukoukai
episode 12 Moments.

Sugiruri, Warlords of Sigrdrifa episode 11 Command.

The Day I Became a God episode 11 Game.

The Gymnast Samurai episode 11 Sticking the landing.(Complete. A sports-based anime with a focus on family and some eccentric characters. I wasn’t sure exactly what to expect early on but this turned out to be a good watch.) 3.5/5

Naruto Shippuden (Rewatch)
episodes 336-346, 362-375, 378-380

So far finished this season

Iwakakeru -Sport Climbing Girls - 8/10
This falls into the category of "one of those sports shows that isn't great, but I really enjoy watching" so feel free to disregard my score on this one

TONIKAWA: Over the Moon For You 8/10
RomCom thats cute and easy to watch. More than happy if this gets a Second season

Rail Romanesque 6/10 5/10
I can only up this up with "Its fine". Overall hugely disappointed as its nowhere near what I expected, its very lucky its not getting a 4/10. [Note: Scrap my 6/10 score, its lost a point after I remembered how disappointed I was while writing this post...]

So Punch Line is on hiatus and I rewatched all of Noir (2001, dubbed) and some of Berserk (1997, subbed)... now I'm rewatching Eureka Seven (dubbed), which is as good as I remember, that is to say very :) Noir is a great series as well, gorgeous music and direction and great voice acting in English and Japanese, really glad that I got the US blu-ray for cheap secondhand :)

Moriarty the Patriot (Japanese audio) - Episodes 8-11 (Part 1 Completed, Part 2 airs April 2021)

A really solid detective type series following the perspective of Moriarty, Sherlock's main rival. Pacing is slow but what the stories and characters deliver is worth the investment. The only issue I can give is that once Sherlock turns up, the spotlight shifts more to him and makes me forget this is supposed to be a Moriarty show, not his. 8/10.

Attack on Titan: The Final Season (Japanese audio) - Episode 3
Sleepy Princess in the Demon Castle (Japanese audio) - Episodes 7-10

Simulcast Day/TimesAnimeCurrent Watch count
Mondays 4:00pmGolden Kamuy Season 311 / 12
Mondays 6:00pmSleepy Princess in the Demon Castle10 / 12
Wednesdays 2:30pmOur Last Crusade or the Rise of a New World6 / 12
Thursdays 3:30pmHigurashi: When They Cry Gou8 / 24 (on-going into Winter 2021)
Finished AiringI'm Standing on a Million Lives12 / 12 [Completed]
Finished AiringIs It Wrong to Try to Pick Up Girls in a Dungeon? III12 / 12 [Completed]
Sundays 1:30pmTalentless Nana7 / 13
Finished AiringMoriarty the Patriot11 / 11 [Completed, Part 2 in Spring 2021]
Sundays 8:45pmAttack on Titan: The Final Season3 / 16 (on-going into Winter 2021)

Attack on Titan: The Final Season episode 62 Grief.

Boruto: Naruto Next Generations episode 179 Evil revealed.

By the Grace of the Gods episode 12 Contract. (Complete. I wasn’t expecting this to be one of my favourites for the season but it’s mostly calm atmosphere and usually endearing nature warmed me over - especially in a period that’s been rather stressful. A Sunday highlight for me.) 4/5

Maesetsu! Opening Act
episode 11 First round.

Moriarty the Patriot episode 11 Work together. (Complete. An enjoyable series though more so for me in the latter episodes - I am looking forward to the second cour in April.) 3.5/5

Talentless Nana
episode 12 Insight and empathy.

Naruto Shippuden (Rewatch) episodes 381-387, 391-393, 414-415, 418-421, 424-426, 459-463.

Last edited:
Watched the finale episode of Sleepy Princess in the Demon Castle, it's definitely my favourite show of the season. No other show has been this consistently funny and entertaining this season.

Back