Your viewing journal

Lupin III Vs Detective Conan: The Movie (2013)

A definite improvement over the (frankly, tedious) tv special, but this cinema outing for our unlikely frenemies remains a bit workmanlike and needlessly convoluted. The first half shows real promise, but it runs out of steam as it wears on, and begins to feel disappointingly padded, even during the action climax. Surprisingly, it also assumes a good knowledge of the aforementioned special, with the character relationships frequently calling back to it in ways that may baffle casual viewers entirely. Most of all, it feels as if the film is playing it very safe. I can’t speak for Conan, but I think Lupin is at its best when the creators are willing to take risks; this movie takes none.

The film was a massive financial success, however, and it is interesting to think that it probably played a large role in kickstarting mainline Lupin as a tv series again, with Part 4 appearing just a couple of years later.

Last edited:
Nurse Witch Komugi R episodes 1 - 12

Nice silly series parodying the magic girl style, with some CGI thrown in for the idol live performances scenes (I assume)

Adachi and Shimamura episode 7 Reappearance.

Akudama Drive episode 7 Experiment.

Higurashi: When They Cry - NEW episode 8 Lockdown.

Finished up the first season of The Crown as well.

Vinland Saga episodes 14-21

My Teen Romantic Comedy SNAFU TOO! [Rewatch] episodes 10-13 (End)
Still a pretty great series with its drama and interesting characters though a lot of dialogue does get pretty confusing. In terms of production this is definitely much more appealing than the first season with the change of staff including key animators Tetsuya Takeuchi and Ryo Araki providing fantastic character animation. Pretty sad to hear they didn't return for the final season but it'll be great to see a conclusion to this story.

Majikoi Oh! Samurai Girls
The depiction of the black girl is pretty bad but outside of that it's a pretty funny and silly harem show with some good action.

Bladedance of the Elemantals
Another harem show that's fun to watch and has some good action thrown into the mix.

Been making use of my ScreenAnime subscription and checking out Lupin III for teh first time.

Lupin III: The Secret Of Mamo
An entertaining film but nothing special really. It's all plot that barrels along with no story or character development.

Lupin III: The Woman Called Fujiko Mine
This on the other hand was truly excellent. Excellent style and animation. Good stories that built to a great finale. Great characters that actually went through change.

Lupin III: Jingen's Gravestone
Very polished looking with some great action. Not as good as the series but a fun addition to the franchise.

Lupin III: Goemon's Blood Spray
Better than JG. Was fun to really delve into who Goemon is and the action was top notch. Hawk was a great adversary.

Lupin III: Fujiko's Lie
This was another great addition. It was a lot of fun to see Fujiko put in a position where she couldnt charm and flirt her was through every situation.

Lupin III vs Detective Conan: The Movie
A fun film but not in the same league as the main Lupin outings. I would've preferred less of the Conan gang and more of the Lupin gang to be honest. Like the Mamo film it mostly plot which is fine for a special like this but it wont stick in the memory like the Fujiko series will.

Shirobako ep11-12

The scenes with (not, for legal reasons) Hideaki Anno were very funny, but I appreciated that it took Sugie to come and save the day, even if it was quite obvious that was where things were heading.

Assault Lily BOUQUET episode 7 Yuri.

Fire Force Season 2 episode 45 Tragedy.

Haikyu!!: To the Top 2nd Season episode 21 Set.

I'm Standing on a Million Lives episode 8 Split.

Is It Wrong to Try to Pick Up Girls in a Dungeon? III episode 8 Fool.

Jujutsu Kaisen (TV) episode 8 Support.

MajoTabi, The Journey of Elaina episode 8 Dolls.

TONIKAWA: Over the Moon For You episode 8 Futon.

Onto the second season of The Crown.

Last edited:
Is It Wrong to Try to Pick Up Girls in a Dungeon? III (English Dub) Episode 1

Uzaki-chan Wants to Hang Out! (English Dub) Episode 12 (Complete... for now)

Assault Lily: Bouquet Episode 7 Naming.

Fire Force Season 2 Episode 45 Disaster.

I'm Standing on a Million Lives Episode 8 Separate.

IS: Infinite Stratos Episode 5-12 + OVA (Complete. A decent first season. For a harem show this was a fun watch. The premise is interesting, Good action and with it's multi-national cast of characters it gave the show more of a dynamic feel. Just a shame that the MC is a dense idiot with a huge inability to read the room. The OVA was decent as well.) 3/5

Is It Wrong to Try to Pick Up Girls in a Dungeon? III
Episode 8 Reborn.

King's Raid: Successors of the Will Episode 8 Alone.

Rail Romanesque Episode 8

TONIKAWA: Over the Moon For You Episode 8 Homecoming.

Wandering Witch: The Journey of Elaina Episode 8 Puppet dolls.

Lupin the Third vs Detective Conan the Movie (Japanese audio) - Film

It's been eight years since I watched the special and for the most part the film provides what you would expect - great fanservice between the two franchises. This is a sequel to the special but you can technically watch this without knowing much however some context will be missing in the final act of the film. The runtime and pacing is not perfect and it's definitely more of a Conan film than a Lupin film (I think the special was the reverse of this but again it has been a long time since I watched that). That being said, I did enjoy the Conan characters interacting throughout and it has gotten me interested in the franchise.

Overall it's good fun and the HD transfer was solid (the stream has a ton of banding as you would expect). I would be interested in seeing this and the special get dubbed by the Lupin Part 2 cast and TMS's new Conan cast if they plan to re-release them on Blu-ray.

Is the Order a Rabbit? BLOOM episode 7 Spooky.

Iwa Kakeru!: Sport Climbing Girls episode 8 Factors.

Love Live! Nijigasaki Gakuen School Idol Doukoukai episode 8 Acting out.

Sugiruri, Warlords of Sigrdrifa episode 8 Mythology.

The Day I Became a God episode 7 Filmshoot.

The Gymnast Samurai episode 7 Troubles.

Continued watching the second season of The Crown as well.

Grimoire of Zero episodes 1-2
This is pretty good so far. Different kind of series to the usual fantasy these days. Zero is a pretty funny protagonist and Yumiri Hanamori's done a great job with her archaic way of speaking.

Last edited:
Kaguya-Sama: Love is War 2nd Season (English Dub) Episode 12 (Complete)

IS: Infinite Stratos 2 Episode 1-6

Is the Order a Rabbit? BLOOM Episode 7 Halloween.

Iwakakeru! -Sport Climbing Girls- Episode 8 Reason.

Love Live! Nijigasaki High School Idol Club Episode 8 Panto.

The Day I Became a God Episode 7 Filmmaking.

Warlords of Sigrdrifa Episode 8 Myths.

Back