Your viewing journal

Vinland Saga episodes 1-4
Director Shuhei Yabuta has mostly worked in 3D animation prior to this series so it's interesting to see someone from that background bring their experience to directing a 2D series.

Golden Kamuy Season 3 episode 3

BanG Dream! Girls Band Party!☆PICO~OHMORI~episode 25

Patlabor TV ep5-6

It's interesting to see how some of the same story motifs crop up across the different versions of Patlabor, just in very different ways. This time, it's the giant tower being built in Tokyo Bay, so much the focus of the first film. I'm actually starting to feel a little sorry for Ota; much as he's kind of awful, he's so frequently being shown up in front of the rest of the squad that he's quite pitiable. It even feels like he was denied the chance to play at being John McClane; had his gun been equipped at the time, his trying to break into the tower by swinging into it would have been a perfect recreation of the fire hose escapade from Die Hard...

Episode 5 actually interested me the more of these two, though. Seeing the Ingram units physically grappling with the X-10 rather confirms to me how much Patlabor is pulling on Tokusatsu traditions, rather than past mecha anime per se; perhaps that's part of what gives it such a unique feel compared to its peers. Amusingly, the X-10 also feels like it's lifted straight from a Shirow work, jumping around on its spider legs.

Oh and Hiromi is dead right about the tomatoes; pluck off excess shoots early for larger fruit later on.

Assault Lily: BOUQUET episode 4 Chosen method.

Fire Force Season 2 episode 41 Excess.

Haikyu!!: To the Top 2nd Season episode 17 Cooldown.

I'm Standing on a Million Lives episode 4 Hunt and train.

Is It Wrong to Try to Pick Up Girls in a Dungeon? III episode 4 No way out?

Jujutsu Kaisen (TV) episode 4 This anime isn’t holding back so far - some brutal content this week.

MajoTabi, The Journey of Elaina episode 4 Another solid episode - this series does action sequences quite well.

TONIKAWA: Over the Moon For You episode 4 Sibling rival.

31 Days of Halloween! Day XXIII: The Omen (Film)

Mushibugyou
episodes 1-6

Uzaki-chan Wants to Hang Out! (English Dub) Episode 7 - 8

Adachi and Shimamura Episode 3 Rivalry and Jealousy.

Assault Lily: Bouquet Episode 4 Team building.

Fire Force Season 2 Episode 41 Excessive expectations.

I'm Standing on a Million Lives Episode 4 Train and Rescue.

Is It Wrong to Try to Pick Up Girls in a Dungeon? III Episode 4 Ambush.

King's Raid: Successors of the Will Episode 4 Hostile reception.

Rail Romanesque Episode 4

TONIKAWA: Over the Moon For You Episode 4 Stubborn sibling.

Wandering Witch: The Journey of Elaina Episode 4 Monstrous.

TONIKAWA ep 4 (dropped)
Some funny moments, but the new character's a little on the annoying side. The constant hints that Tsukasa is some kind of Kaguya-hime character is intriguing, but I don't really care that much and I'm not enjoying it. So dropped.

Rail Romanesque ep 4
No sweat.

1m Lives ep 4
The power of persuasion.

Jujutsu Kaisen ep 4
Ain't no party like an S-rank party!

Fire Force s2 e17
Shoot for the moon.

Iwakakeru ep 4
Climb your dreams!

Kaguya-Sama: Love is War 2nd Season Episode 10

The Misfit at Demon King Academy (English Dub) Episode 8

Is the Order a Rabbit? BLOOM Episode 3 Future plans.

Iwakakeru! -Sport Climbing Girls- Episode 4 Another tournament.

The Day I Became a God Episode 3 Spreading the word.

Warlords of Sigrdrifa Episode 4 Fundoshi's and Swimsuits.

D4DJ First Mix episode 1
A DJ focused series is a pretty cool concept and Rinku is such a good chaotic MC. While Sanzigen's 3D animation is still pretty great the mob characters designs really feel like someone else's work don't look great alongside the main characters.

Love Live! Nijigasaki High School Idol Club episode 4
Great to see they addressed the the possibility of working solo.

Texhnolyze episodes 9-12

I really should've watched funny idol shenanigans after the depressing cyberpunk dystopia...

Mobile Suit Gundam II: Soldiers of Sorrow (1981)

The further adventures of Amuro and co. continue in similar fashion to the first film, with the White Base constantly on the run, but most significantly having to deal with the most humane face of Zeon, in the form Ramba Ral and Crowley Hamon. There are some more noticeable lurches in the narrative this time, as the film glides past plot points that were presumably more significant in the series, but it's well enough paced and definitely kept me entertained. Again, I don't know how it compares with the experience of watching the show in full, but I do feel like some of the character exchanges would have held far less emotional weight, if not been totally lost on me, had I not watched Origin - particularly between Char and Sayla.

Jujutsu Kaisen ep1

Mappa are bringing their A game again for what seems to be a very slickly made and mostly quite jolly affair, but I was a little caught off guard by how much it resembles the formula for Bleach. I also don't feel like I've really got the measure of what the show is doing tonally as yet; in what had until that point been a mostly lightweight affair, I could really have done without the shot of the monster sexually groping its victim.

Is the Order a Rabbit? BLOOM episode 3 Don’t stop the dance.

Iwa Kakeru!: Sport Climbing Girls episode 4 Upgrading, so to speak.

Love Live! Nijigasaki Gakuen School Idol Doukoukai episode 4 Impressed that they’ve managed to almost get the entire group together already.

Sugiruri, Warlords of Sigrdrifa episode 4 cheeky.

The Day I Became a God episode 3 Suits and specialty ramen.

The Gymnast Samurai episode 3 Rival?

31 Days of Halloween! Day XXIV: It Chapter Two (Film)

Mushibugyou
episodes 7-17

Love Live! Nijigasaki Gakuen School Idol Doukoukai episode 4 Impressed that they’ve managed to almost get the entire group together already.
Yu's doing a Love Live speedrun. I think Karin might finally join the group around episode 9 judging from fan theories

Last edited:
Monster Girl Doctor (English Dub) Episode 11

By the Grace of the Gods Episode 4 Stinky.

Katana Maidens: Kizamishi Issen no Tomoshibi OVA Episode 1

Maesetsu! -Opening Act- Episode 3 Comedy inspiration.

Talentless Nana Episode 4 Busted.

Boruto: Naruto Next Generations episode 171 An outcome of efforts.

By the Grace of the Gods episode 4 Clean up.

Maesetsu! Opening Act episode 3 Pigeon dubbing.

Moriarty the Patriot episode 3 Contempt.

Talentless Nana episode 4 Photograph.

31 Days of Halloween! Day XXV: Tower of London (Film)

Mushibugyou
episodes 18-26 (Complete. A decent samurai fantasy-action series which sees a group of warriors take down copious amounts of insect monsters, complete with a likeable if straightforward lead and supporting cast. It’s nothing too special but was a fun watch, albeit with unnecessary bouts of humour-driven fanservice and predictable ending arc.) 3.5/5

Mushi-Shi (Rewatch)
episodes 1-5

Adventure! Iczer 3 - Episodes 1 - 6 [Final]

It was inevitable there would be a sequel to Iczer 1 given how successful it was and Iczer 3, while not being quite as accomplished as Iczer 1, does a pretty good job of following it up and the final two episodes are very good,

Circuit Angel & Baribari Densetsu

Final rewatches ahead of the podcast recording.

Texhnolyze episodes 17-22 (End)
I don't think I've seen a series quite as difficult and profound as Texhnolyze. It doesn't back down from its nihilistic themes and is just not an easy series to get into. Despite being such a miserable experience I still really liked it. I can understand why some may avoid it though.

Vinland Saga episode 7

Golden Kamuy Season 3 episode 4

Laid-Back Camp [Rewatch] episode 4
Definitely needed this after watching nihilistic cyberpunk

Dropout Idol Fruit Tart episode 3 Performance time.

Golden Kamuy 3rd Season episode 28 Let the show begin.

Sleepy Princess in the Demon Castle episode 4 Golden slumbers.

31 Days of Halloween! Day XXVI: Return of the Fly, The Curse of the Fly (Films)

Mushi-Shi (Rewatch)
episodes 6-17

Back