Your viewing journal

Hakumei & Mikochi: Episodes 5-12

I definately never got to these episodes, so I had watched less of this last time around than I thought. I'm not really sure what more I can say about this show other than that it's all incredibly relaxing, life-affirming stuff. Probably a good watch if you're ever feeling down. The characters are all somewhat archetypal, but they're still given enough time and depth to seem real and allow the audience to share their joys and frustrations. The episode about the Kowloon Walled City-esque tenament and bringing peace to warring factions through shared nostalgia over an awful drink was still a bit friggin' weird though.

Beautiful Bones: Sakurako's Investigation: Episodes 1-12

So, at first my thoughts were "Oh great, another show where one of the leads is a highschooler for no discernible reason" and I didn't really see much point in Shotaro being there at all, given that his role could quite easily have been combined with or filled by that of the fairly clueless rookie cop. But as things progressed his connection to the school was worked into the plot quite well in ways I didn't see coming, which was pleasantly surprising. However, what was originally sold as being Sakurako's major talent of being an expert on bones was fairly swiftly dispatched in favour of making her basically Sherlock Holmes, an expert in everything necessary for the plot from history to visual memory to child psychology, which made it feel a bit less specific in its gimmick and more of a generic detective show. "At first glance she was seemingly perfect" Shotaro says in a cliche-of-cliches early on; the show never really does anything to dispel that idea, though perhaps I appreciate her bluntness too much to really see it as a negative. And Shotaro never really develops beyond being a relatively bland audience surrogate.

Beyond the characters though, the plots of the investigations themselves were all pretty good, with some unexpected twists and turns leading up to a final boss (yet to be confronted, possibly never given that the show is five years old and has no continuation, something I didn't realise going into it and was rather disappointed to learn) who reminded me of Poirot's last nemesis in his modus operandi, which made him impossible to actually prove guilty, and I was genuinely interested to see how Sakurako would tackle such an adversary. But I guess that's not happening any time soon.

Dropout Idol Fruit Tart episode 2 A lack of recognition.

Golden Kamuy 3rd Season episode 27 Backstory.

Sleepy Princess in the Demon Castle episode 3 Sleepwalk.

31 Days of Halloween! Day XIX: The Chill Factor (Film)

Monthly Girls’ Nozaki-Kun (Rewatch)
episodes 7-12 & Shorts (Complete. Just as funny and likeable as it was on my first viewing, I’d love a second season one day.) 4/5

Mr. Tonegawa: Middle Management Blues
episodes 1-3

Last edited:
Baki (2018) ep1-2 English dub

It's staggeringly silly and I don't think it has the charm of Jojo, but this is still pretty entertaining.

Patlabor TV ep4

Hah, I remember this one. Having only seen the first two stone cold serious Mamoru Oshii films beforehand, seeing Patlabor go full kaiju, as SV2 takes on a giant bear (or is it a cat?), is a real curveball. It is still very funny though, with Goto as completely non-plussed as ever at the possibility of having to catch a live monster, and oddly prescient, with the local cop's question about whether they could use the beast as a tourist attraction seeming somewhat relevant in these times of Japan's struggling small town economies.

On a technical level, I think the limitations of the TV budget are a little more apparent when action is called for, with some of the wilder moments taking place offscreen, but again it's testiment to the level of craft here that the show is working so well with that, rather than desperately railing against it. In many anime, not seeing parts of the fight would probably be a huge detriment, but here it just adds to the joke. It's almost like Guybrush's hilariously weird offscreen adventure in the first Monkey Island taking place entirely through the 'look at, use, pick up' command line; what you see in your mind's eye is just inherently funnier than it ever could have been if they'd drawn it.

Beautiful Bones: Sakurako's Investigation

I remember watching a little bit of this, and being kind of put off by how self-consciously quirky they were trying to make the main character, but I may have been rather quick to judge. If nothing else, the idea of an anime series starring adult female Sherlock Holmes is certainly not unappealing.

Last edited:
Black Clover episode 148 Regrets

Ikebukuro West Gate Park episode 3 The YouTuber life.

31 Days of Halloween! Day XX: As the Gods Will (Film)

episodes 4-12

So my probing of HiDive's US offerings resulted in another unexpected return to an unfinished series, so strap yourselves back in because it's time to relaunch:

Space Runaway Idevangelion: Episodes 9-16 rewatch(?) "Did you come here to laugh at me?" edition

Sadly for the meantime without comedy screencaps, since streaming makes that rather difficult. I'd definately seen most of these before, but it was helpful to go back a bit to remind myself what the hell was going on when I last left the crew of the Solo Ship and yeah, they were blowing up dinosaurs and stuff, pretty standard fare for the era.

I wouldn't forget Lady Harulu's arrival, obviously; sipping her wine, superior smirk to the camera, haircut as sharp as her jawline. Tomino seems fond of these ruthless female antagonists, she's clearly the Haman/Kycillia of the series (although Sheryl is already doing a pretty good job of filling that role from the other side) but given Ideon's reputation as a more brutal show and the fact she's introduced basically ordering one of subordinates to violate her own sister (and also ordering everyone else to laugh at this, which they nervously comply with) I wonder if she might even be closer to Last Exile's Delphine, which would really be worth sticking around for.

In fact, the female characters in Ideon are easily the most interesting all around so far. Bes might be an honorable man, but he's actually a pretty crap leader and it's obviously Sheryl who is actually making most of the decisions for the Solo Ship, just as Harulu is for the Buff Clan. And for all his bravado, Cosmo would be pretty lost without Kasha, who he's obviously developed a much greater respect and appreciation for with her willingness to join the fight to the point they're almost forming their own competing leadership against Sheryl and Bes. And with Karala caught between being hated by Sheryl for being one of the enemy and by Harulu for being a traitor (despite being probably the nicest person in the show) it does really seem to be the women of Ideon who are mainly driving the story.

There were hints of this earlier, but I'm definately noticing the aspects of the show that went on to influence Eva creep in in a much more obvious way now - Not only do we have Sheryl installing equipment to measure the kids' mental states during their connection to the mysterious Ideon (which they still understand next to nothing about) but an episode where Cosmo acquires and then just as quickly loses a caring mother figure causing him to seriously lose it, and both he and Ideon appear to share a scream of both rage and torment in a shot clearly meant to evoke how terrifying a machine this is supposed to be, one that surely stuck with Hideaki Anno, because my immediate thought was "It's gone berserk".

And perhaps this long wait to resume the series was worth it, because it finally clicked with me what one of the OST tracks reminds me of musically, and frankly it's perfect. If there's one thing that could improve Ideon, it would setting the space battles to a ghost of memes past. Buff Clan ist ein schönes Clan, Oh-ho-ho-ho-ho!

[insert laughing Harulu pic here]

Last edited:
Sleepy Princess in the Demon Castle ep 3
A book before bedtime.

That is the Bottleneck ep 2
Just like Ma used to make.

Dropout Idol Fruit Tart ep 2
Getting to know you 🎶

Golden Kamuy s3 e3
Lies upon lies. Another tragic backstory, although I got a bit muddled as to what exactly happened with all the rumours, lies and truths mixed up together.

Ninja Collection ep 12
Water water everywhere, but not a drop to drink.

Noblesse ep 3
Cleaning up.

DOGEZA: I Tried Asking Episode 2

Our Last Crusade or the Rise of a New World Episode 3 The enemy of my enemy is my friend.

Strike Witches: Road to Berlin Episode 3 Power failure.

Kimisen, Our Last Crusade or the Rise of a New World episode 3 Founder.

Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear episode 3 Goblin slaying.

Noblesse episode 3 Night fights.

31 Days of Halloween! Day XXI: Dario Argento’s Opera (Film)

episodes 13-20

Tamako Market episodes 10-12 (End)
A fantastic series from KyoAni led by director Naoko Yamada and character designer Yukiko Horiguchi. Tamako's love for mochi and her neighbourhood market is a joy to watch with plenty of fun shenanigans and characters. Should be interesting to watch Tamako Love Story as I've heard it has a different vibe.

Ikebukuro West Gate Park ep 3
Chasing views.

Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear ep 3 (dropped)
Goblin Slayer would be proud.
I'm dropping this. There's no real hint of a story, so it's more of a moe isekai, but the MC's not cute or particularly likeable and is too OP to have interesting fights and overall it's just a bit dull really.

Adachi and Shimamura ep 3
A rivalry is born.

Akudama Drive ep 3
All aboard.

Adachi and Shimamura episode 3 Alien interference.

Akudama Drive episode 3 Break-in.

Higurashi: When They Cry - NEW episode 4 Fragile Tension.

31 Days of Halloween! Day XXII: Scream (Film)

episodes 21-24 (Complete. I recall putting this on hold back when it was airing but finally got around to watching in full and it’s a pretty fun series -don’t expect Kaiji levels of tension though as it’s more comedically driven in tone. I liked the unexpected switch in character focus midway through the series and the narrator was great as well.) 3.5/5

Back