Your viewing journal

Lapis Re:LiGHTs episode 11 Flying towards the finale.

The Misfit of Demon King Academy episode 11 Death stares and the power of eight.

Magic of Stella episodes 1-12 (Complete. A CGDCT series about a club dedicated to the creation of doujin games. It was fairly likeable and had its charm - and a lot of bloom too, though wasn’t quite one of the stronger anime I’ve seen from this genre. Still worth a watch overall.) 3/5

Doctor Who: The Curse of Peladon
One of my favourite Pertwee stories and a stronger outing from Season 9.

Domestic Girlfriend episodes 5-12 (Complete)

Fire Force Season 2
episodes 4-6

Great Pretender episode 1

My Hero Academia: Make It! Do-or-Die Survival Training episodes 1-2 (Complete)

Rokka: Braves of the Six Flowers
episodes 1-6

Seraph of the End: Battle in Nagoya
episodes 5-12 (Complete)

Boruto: Naruto Next Generations episode 165 Boruto’s Talk No Jutsu needs some work.

Monster Girl Doctor episode 10 Tools of the Trade.

Mai-Mai Miracle (Film) A relatively laid-back story that focuses on the friendship between two girls living in the 1950s which is juxtaposed by the life of a Princess who lived in the same region many years prior. The narrative takes a slightly darker turn towards the end but is overall a pleasant viewing experience. 3.5/5

Maria Watches Over Us
episodes 1-7

Tower of God ep8-10 (English dub)

It hadn't occurred to me until one of my friends mentioned it to me today, but there seems to be surprisingly little world building in the series. Maybe we'll get an explanation of what is outside the tower later?

Gegege no Kitaro (2018) ep1

Given it's long enduring popularity in Japan, I’ve been sort of curious about this series for quite a while, but only now gotten around to trying it. As a light paranomal/yokai investigation series, it seems fine for what it is (the scenes of people being turned into trees were genuinely impressive), but I'm very aware of it being aimed at a younger audience. Probably one that I'd happily watch with other people if they wanted to see it, but otherwise something I'd maybe only stick on occasionally.

The Great Pretender ep1-2 (English dub)

I scoffed when one of my friends told me this was his favourite show this year, considering we'd already had Eizouken and Dorohedoro, but on the strength of the first couple of episodes, he may have a point. This is both hugely entertaining and great to look at. The backgrounds are like a pop art painting.

Blue Comet SPT Layzner - Episodes 1 & 2 (Blu-ray)

I'm due a rewatch, it needs to be classic mecha and Layzner is overdue a revisit so here we are! I watched Layzner raw in the early 00s and then subbed when MSubs finally finished fansubbing it in 2014 and have been keen to watch it again ever since a HD release came out a few years ago. I had forgotten just good the first episode is. First episodes have always been a strong point of Ryousuke Takahashi (Votoms still has the best opening episode ever imho) and Layzner is no exception, it creates a really good sense of dread and uncertainty as the Mars base is attacked by mystery forces. I'm also a bit taken aback with how good it looks on Blu-ray, I really like the mecha designs in Layzner and their clarity in HD really accentuates them but the animation is fairly decent and it probably looks better than a mid 80s TV show deserves to as there is an impressive amount of detail on display.

Fruits Basket 2nd Season episode 49 A treasured possession.

The God of High School episode 11 Fox and fire.

Doctor Who: Fury from the Deep A tense thriller given new life thanks to this latest animated release. The story is great asides from a slightly anti-climactic vanquishing of the threat whilst the animation was also solid, though the arm length for some character models seemed a bit disproportionate at times.

Maria Watches Over Us episodes 8-13 & shorts. (Complete. A quieter sort of drama which focuses on the sister-like bonds between older and younger students at an all-female Catholic school. This first season establishes the core pairings and their ups and downs. Despite going into the series knowing next to nothing about it I am curious as to how the story will develop moving forward.) 3.5/5

Last edited:
The Rising Of Shield Hero
Very very good isekei. It's nice when an isekei doesnt have the MC be OP right from the off but instead gives them the tools to grow and learn. Also the way almost everyone is against him at the start definitely adds something to the show.

From a modern isekei to a retro one:

Magic Knight Rayearth
Fun and enjoyable building to dramatic finales. I enjoyed the use of switching to chibi designs for much of the comedy in the first season. Added to the charm is isnt seen so much these days.

It was interesting to discover that these two shows separated by over 2 decades have almost the exact same premise of group of normal people get summoned to a fantasy world where they must learn to fight and learn to care so they can become strong enough to fulfil the promise of becoming this worlds heros.

Black Clover episode 143 Behind the mask.

Diary of our Days at the Breakwater episode 11 Baiting.

Muhyo & Roji’s Bureau of Supernatural Investigation 2nd Season episode 23 Armoured foe.

UMAYON episode 11 Cliffside drama.

Maria Watches Over Us: Printemps episodes 1-13 & Shorts. (Complete. This season sees established characters leaving the school and new ones joining to keep the story interesting. Characters like Shimako also got developments and the final arc just about managed to win me over despite some melodrama and misunderstandings. The third season of MWOU comprises of OVAs so I’m curious as to how this’ll affect the storylines.) 3.5/5

Last edited:
More My Love Story!! (still very fun and I'm really impressed by the English dub) and started on my old Funi DVD set of Hell Girl Season 1 which is a contemplative and engaging ride so far (the dub's pretty great too), I don't tend to watch horror series more than once but I'm sure this is worth watching once. I know not everyone was happy with the second and third seasons, since they aren't dubbed I guess it will depend on just how good they are as to whether I watch them after S1. I also started rewatching Kaiba on my old Australian import DVD set, it's a great show and I am looking forward to rewatching certain particularly beautiful scenes as they come up. One of these days I'll import the Discotek BD/DVD combo pack :)

Back