Your viewing journal

Coppelion episodes 10 to 13 (complete)

A short but interesting story. The face design of Ibuki reminds me of another character from another story, ending left it open for more episodes to be made.

Serial Experiments Lain (dub) eps 3 & 4

Re:ZERO s2 e1
Finally a problem Subaru can't just fix by killing himself and trying again!

DECA-DENCE ep 1
Seems like an interesting world. The big fight scene at the end reminded me a bit of Attack on Titan. The soundtrack is pretty good as well.

Ep 1 of The God of High School...i was excited when this was announced as getting an anime as i've been reading the manhwa and it doesn't disappoint (looking forward to Noblesse)
Ep 1 of Re:ZERO Season 2

Monogatari_-_Ougi_1.gif

Freezing (Japanese audio) - Uncensored Episodes 6-9
Owarimonogatari Season 1 (Japanese audio) - Episodes 1-4 (Ougi Formula Parts 1-2, Sodachi Riddle Parts 1-2)
The Testament of Sister New Devil (Japanese audio) - Uncensored Episodes 10-12 (Completed)
The Testament of Sister New Devil (Japanese audio) - Uncensored OVA
The Testament of Sister New Devil (Japanese audio) - Uncensored Specials 1-6 (Completed)

No.Anime NameTypeContentNotes
#01FreezingTV Series9 / 12 (+4)Uncensored BDs
#02Freezing VibrationTV Series0 / 12Uncensored BDs
#03Higurashi: When They Cry
(Higurashi no Naku Koro ni)
TV Series0 / 26
#04Owarimonogatari Season 1TV Series4 / 13 (+4)
#05The Testament of Sister New Devil
(Shinmai Maou no Testament)
TV Series12 / 12 (+3)
OVA: 1 / 1 (+1)
Specials: 6 / 6 (+6)
Uncensored BDs
#06The Testament of Sister New Devil Burst
(Shinmai Maou no Testament Burst)
TV Series0 / 10
OVA: 0 / 1
Uncensored BDs

Ahiru no Sora episode 38 Search and support.

DECA-DENCE episode 1 This looks fairly intriguing and action-packed.

Re:ZERO -Starting Life in Another World- 2nd Season episode 26 Let the suffering recommence.

Concrete Revolutio episodes 1-13 (Complete. This first half has been an interesting watch as each episode has a fair bit going on and the narrative structures often involve back and forth between past and present. There are times wherein I feel the series is trying to put too many ideas into the narrative but the characters are likeable enough to pull through. Onto the second cour.) 3.5/5

Back to watching anime after a break

Princess Connect Re: DIVE episodes 3-4

Uma Musume: Pretty Derby [Rewatch] episode 8

Putting the physical backlog aside for a moment to focus on some other series
Uma Musume: Pretty Derby [Rewatch]813
A Place Further than the Universe [Rewatch]013
My Teen Romantic Comedy SNAFU TOO! [Rewatch]013
Princess Connect Re: DIVE413
22/7012
The IDOLM@STER: Cinderella Girls012
My Next Life as a Villainess: All Routes Lead to Doom!012
The Rolling Girls012

Problem Children Are Coming from Another World, Aren't They? Episode 1-10 & OVA (Complete. A fun fantasy-isekai romp that in certain ways shares a premise similar to that of NGNL. The story is intriguing, art/animation is decent and the cast of characters are all interesting but likeable in their own way. The OVA was decent with some comical fanservice.) 3.5/5

Re:ZERO -Starting Life in Another World- 2nd Season Episode 26 The suffering returns.

That Time I Got Reincarnated as a Slime OVA Episode 4 Field trip examination.

Umayon! Episode 1 Chibi horse girl fun.

Last edited:
Japan Sinks 2020 eps 1-5
The pace is a bit quick. Stuff happens and there seems to be little reaction to it, because they move on and something else happens quickly afterwards. I'm not sure the style fits necessarily either, all the other Yuasa things I've seen have had an element of fantasy to them, but this is supposed to be a realistic scenario and some of the art is a little jarring.

No Guns Life s2 e1
What's it worth to you?
OP by SawanoXJean-Ken Johnny (from MWAM) is a banger. The ED is pretty good too as is it's visuals.

Monogatari_-_Ougi_1.gif

Freezing (Japanese audio) - Uncensored Episodes 10-12 (Completed)
Freezing (Japanese audio) - Uncensored OVA/Specials 1-6 (Completed)
Owarimonogatari Season 1 (Japanese audio) - Episodes 5-7 (Sodachi Lost Parts 1-3)
The Testament of Sister New Devil Burst (Japanese audio) - Uncensored Episodes 1-4

#01FreezingTV Series12 / 12 (+3)
OVA/Specials: 6 / 6 (+6)
Uncensored BDs
TV Series0 / 26
#04Owarimonogatari Season 1TV Series7 / 13 (+3)
TV Series12 / 12
OVA: 1 / 1
Specials: 6 / 6
Uncensored BDs
TV Series4 / 10 (+4)
OVA: 0 / 1
Uncensored BDs

No Guns Life 2nd Season episode 13 Hoping this second cour/season can improve upon what’s been established.

Concrete Revolutio: The Last Song episodes 14-24 (Complete. A solid if still cluttered second cour which further explored the conflicts of the series and how much manipulation was driving the proceedings. The friction between Jiro and his former allies was fairly interesting to watch also.) 3.5/5

Den-noh Coil
episodes 1-2

Mewkledreamy episode 9

Healin' Good Pretty Cure episode 14

BanG Dream! Girls Band Party!☆PICO~OHMORI~ episodes 9-10

Princess Connect! Re: Dive episodes 5-6
The compositing in this series really makes me want to rewatch Mysteria Friends.

Brand New Animal episode 2

Japan Sinks 2020 episode 1
Science SARU made a fantastic choice entrusting this episode to Naoya Wada in his debut as episode director, storyboarder and character designer in addition to his roles as key animator and animation director. One of the finest debuts I've seen yet with great attention to detail throughout that paired well with Kensuke Ushio's soundtrack. Funnily enough for a Netflix series I don't think it's quite suitable for binge watching considering how heavy that episode was.

Adjusted for Netflix titles
Uma Musume: Pretty Derby [Rewatch]813
Princess Connect! Re: DIVE613
Brand New Animal212
Japan Sinks 2020110
A Place Further than the Universe [Rewatch]013
My Teen Romantic Comedy SNAFU TOO! [Rewatch]013
22/7012
The IDOLM@STER: Cinderella Girls Second Season012
My Next Life as a Villainess: All Routes Lead to Doom!012
The Rolling Girls012

The God of High School ep1

Dumb as a bag of hammers, but quite fun if you leave your brain at the door - it's well animated and the fights seem well directed too. Interestingly, it also seems to have retained a lot of tics in the character design that I would associate more with Korean artists, particularly the 'nose blush'.

Deca-Dence ep1

I enjoyed this, but something about it didn't quite click for me - there's a slight hint of cynically sticking all the popular tropes in a bag and giving it a shake. Very pretty though, it's a bit like what you'd get if Trigger made Attack on Titan.

Japan Sinks 2020 eps 6-10 (complete)
Had a pretty emotional ending and that was because the only character who got any real focus was involved, all the other characters that were lost along the way were pretty meh even if the send off was supposed to be this heroic act to end their arc, it doesn't work if their arc was a flat line! And by the last few there had been so many that it became a trope. Places they visited and events that happened should have had a lot more time spent on them, like the cult, if that had been in something like The Walking Dead you might have had a half to full season there to explore all the characters and seen our group interactions with new people and there'd be mysteries pop and taken time over, but no 2 episodes and done with a load of questions left unanswered.
Also so many coincidences and deus ex-machina.
As I said before the some of the art and animation was a bit odd, but parts were downright bad, looking at the staff list seems Yuasa may have been director in name only! Backgrounds and soundtrack were good though.
7/10 (just because I did like what they did at the end)
My recommendation is watch Tokyo Magnitude 8.0, maybe not instead, but for a better Japanese disaster anime.

Japan Sinks 2020 eps 1-10 (completed)

While it's certainly not the best thing Science SARU ever done, I feel like there is a lot of negativity out there right now regarding this show. It's still an interesting take on first directing social criticism towards Japan and later morphing itself into a love letter directed to the very same recipient. While Yuasas involvement seems to be in question post facto, I feel like the show still has quite a few glints of him (Harou's last run, the engrish oneliners and that disco scene all reek of Yuasas involvement).

That is not to say that everything was good. Artstyle feels really weird, some characters contributed nothing at all and I agree with the sentiment that as a strictly "catastrophe thingie" Tokyo Magnitude 8.0 actually is a bit better. The tonal shifts are bit of a mess as well, with the story constantly giving off different vibes, sometimes in the same exact episode.

6/10

Monogatari_-_Ougi_1.gif

Owarimonogatari Season 1 (Japanese audio) - Episodes 8-10 (Shinobu Mail Parts 1-3)
The Testament of Sister New Devil Burst (Japanese audio) - Uncensored Episodes 5-10 (Completed)
The Testament of Sister New Devil Burst (Japanese audio) - Uncensored OVA
The Testament of Sister New Devil Burst (Japanese audio) - Uncensored Specials 1-6 (Completed)

#01FreezingTV Series12 / 12
OVA/Specials: 6 / 6
Uncensored BDs
TV Series0 / 26
#04Owarimonogatari Season 1TV Series10 / 13 (+3)
TV Series12 / 12
OVA: 1 / 1
Specials: 6 / 6
Uncensored BDs
TV Series10 / 10 (+6)
OVA: 1 / 1 (+1)
Specials: 6 / 6 (+6)
Uncensored BDs