Your viewing journal

Charlotte Episodes 8 to 13 plus OVA (complete)

Interesting short series, nice visuals, although everything thrown into the last episode, leaving a couple unanswered questions

Last edited:
ZpbfAPyl.png

Kaguya-sama: Love is War? (Japanese audio) - Episodes 7-12 (Completed)
Kakushigoto (Japanese audio) - Episodes 10-12 (Completed)

Spring 2020 Simulcast WatchlistEp.Airing Status
Fruits Basket Season 20 / 25On-Going into Summer
Gleipnir13 / 13Watched
Kaguya-sama: Love is War?12 / 12Watched
Kakushigoto12 / 12Watched
My Next Life as a Villainess: All Routes Lead to Doom!12 / 12Watched
Princess Connect Re: Dive13 / 13Watched
Tower of God13 / 13Watched
Wave, Listen to Me!12 / 12Watched
Catalog Watchlist for StreamingEp.Airing Status
Blade of the Immortal8 / 24Finished Airing
Interspecies Reviewers12 / 12Watched
Plunderer3 / 24Finished Airing

Ghost Sweeper Mikami ep1-2

This is the first I've seen GS Mikami in about ten years - the show is... hornier than I remember. A couple of the fan-service parts in the first episode are decidedly not cool, but it does seem to have dialled it back a bit in the second, so I'm hoping it's on a more even keel now. That aside, it's generally good fun; there are some neat ideas for how Reiko fights the ghosts, and some nice little touches like a ghost holding up a cue card with her dialogue on it, or the bank tellers randomly turning out to be a crack commando unit.

Ghost Sweeper Mikami ep1-2

This is the first I've seen GS Mikami in about ten years - the show is... hornier than I remember. A couple of the fan-service parts in the first episode are decidedly not cool, but it does seem to have dialled it back a bit in the second, so I'm hoping it's on a more even keel now. That aside, it's generally good fun; there are some neat ideas for how Reiko fights the ghosts, and some nice little touches like a ghost holding up a cue card with her dialogue on it, or the bank tellers randomly turning out to be a crack commando unit.
The ova is pretty funny too, it takes the tv series horniness and dials it up to 10.

Fruits Basket s2 e13
Back to school after the summer holidays.

Shachibato! ep 12 (complete)
A fun fantasy series, but nothing spectacular. The end hints at a second season, which I would probably watch, but if it doesn't materialise then so be it.
The designs are your standard cute girls from gatcha games, cute enough, but not as good as the other gatcha game anime Princess Connect (see below). Animation was average as well.
6/10

Gleipnir
ep 13 (complete)
Memories.
Had a fairly straightforward premise of a battle royale for a mcguffin, but got a bit complicated towards the end with what I thought was just an edgy side plot turned out to be pretty important and then didn't end in a particularly good way with the mcguffin not reached nor the new extra plot fully resolved.
Most of the monster designs weren't that interesting, but the fight scenes were pretty good.
6/10

Woodpecker Detective's Office
ep 12 (complete)
The big reveal. Can't decide whether it was a good twist or actually a bit of a let down.
I feel pretty much the same as @HWR felt about the show overall, occasional interesting episode in this crime-of-the-week show, but no likable characters and although the culprit of the overall plot was an interesting take, she wasn't actually a culprit in the traditional sense as she persuaded people to kill themselves instead of actually being a murderer! Which felt a bit of a waste.
5/10

Princess Connect! Re: Dive
ep 13 (complete)
Final fight?
Started out a very funny fantasy SOL, but slowly seeded in an actual story which was actually quite dark, unfortunately like a lot of shows this season it seems it didn't actually finish the story, but had a better end than most. So Cygames, just like with Uma Masume, got me wanting to play the game, unfortunately I would need a third party app store, a VPN, oh and to learn Japanese!
The character designs were great and the animation was very good, especially in the fight scenes, apart from the odd montage slide show.
8/10

And so endeth the Spring season, there were a few gems, but probably the worst season in the 2 and a half years I've been watching seasonal. Actually a bit of a split season looking at my scores with six 6 or below and six 8 or above, but without checking the average score is probably the worst.

Princess Connect! Re: Dive 13-I enjoyed it but if ever a show needed a 2nd season-this is it. There were so many unanswered questions and open ended incidents it was like trying to eat a half baked cake.

Ahiru no Sora episode 37 Cold shoulders and a sweet new OP.

Merry Christmas Mr Lawrence (Film) Added my thoughts for this on the films thread.

Chihayafuru episodes 16-25 (Complete. An interesting series that combines some of the more typical tropes of sports anime with the intensity of Karuta, a physically and mentally demanding card game-and a competitive sport in Japan-which makes for some rather tense matches. The cast here are rather likeable and I’m looking forward to watching more.) 4/5

Last edited:
Working through my christmas sale backlog still

Yesterday I watched Perfect Blue. What a mind **** 8/10

Today I watched Lu over the wall. There is only one word I can use to describe it and that is FUN. It's like Promare in the sense that there is no deep intricate plot here but just amusing surface level fun and I am coming around to appreciate that so 9/10 for me.

Listeners - Episodes 11 & 12 [Final]

Some good ideas but the writing was weak in the last few episodes and there just isn't enough room in 12 episodes to explore those good ideas which something that really frustrates me with the current everything is 1 cour anime production structure.

The Castle of Cagliostro (Blu-ray)

Not spectacular but a lovely easy and entertaining film to watch.

Cosmic Devil Daikengo - Episodes 7 - 9

Kabukichou Sherlock eps 21-24 (complete)
Cracked teapots!
An interesting take on the Sherlock franchise. The first half was mainly focused on a case of a murder dubbed Jack the Ripper whose MO is similar to the real one and the second half dealt with the aftermath of the case and specifically the reaction to the events by one of the characters who was affected personally by the killer. I would say the first half was the stronger of the 2.
Being Production I.G. the production was pretty good, although I didn't particularly like the character designs. The soundtrack was pretty good though.
7/10

Brand New Animal episode 1
More Trigger shenanigans! Already loving the art for this series from Yoh Yoshinari's fantastic designs (Michiru is a very good Raccoon) to the use of colour and wild amount of smears in certain scenes. As with Little Witch Academia, Yoshinari sure knows to make his series visually interesting.

Back