Your viewing journal

The 8th Son? Are You Kidding Me? (English Dub) Episode 6

The 8th Son? Are You Kidding Me? Episode 12 Showdown. (Complete. A fairly solid climbing the ranks isekai series which was able to avoid becoming another generic show when compared to its fellow genre counterparts.) 3/5

A Whisker Away
The Mari Okada version of The Cat Returns is probably the easiest way to describe this film. The main character, Miyo, is a lot more complex than Haru from TCR with Okada tropes like parental problems and being bullied, so is more rounded and I quite liked her as a character. The romance seems a little one sided, but was fine. The plot itself was interesting enough, but some elements could have been explored more, especially the Cat Island part. There is a really fun twist in late middle part with who takes Miyo's human face!
The production side from Studio Colorido was very good with some nice transitions from fantasy day-dreams into reality and vice-versa.
8/10

Tower of God
ep 12
Family intervention.

Kakushigoto ep 12 (complete)
Remembering.
A pretty fun show with some fun characters, and whilst the comedy never reached the heights of the first episode, it had some funny moments here and there.
I really liked the character designs, especially female characters and Hime most, seemingly a bit more basic than most designs, but still cute nonetheless.
8/10

Last edited:
Listeners ep 12 (complete)
Recollection.
Initially a quite interesting road trip story, meeting different people and some cool pop references, but once they reached the final destination it turned into a bit of a confusing mess and the references seemed more and more shoehorned in. The ending was OK and I think I got the message that they were trying to get at, but still the last 5 or so episodes almost made me quit.
The character designs were interesting for the most part, the mech designs were not! The animation was pretty good, but again the mechs' CG was a bit of a let down.
6/10

Wave, Listen to Me
ep 12 (complete)
All shook up.
I found a lot of this quite random, like a stream of random thoughts, some of which was hard to follow especially when Minare was in full flow in another case of a character speaking too fast for me to read. I did like most of the characters though and there were a few funny moments.
The art was OK and the animation was a bit minimal, but it is a SOL so not much is really needed.
7/10

Kaleido Star Episodes 48 to 51 & Princess OVA & Phoenix film

Nice ending to a good series with the follow up episode and film taking place a few months (or so) later.

El Hazard Wanderers Episodes 1 to 9

A retelling of the original series but with less characters and a different story spread over more episodes so the pace feels slower.

Promare - Really Really good fun colourful great characters great score everything else has been said before 10/10
Side Lio/Galo
- They’re alright I guess harmless 10 min prequels 6/10

Listeners episode 12 Fight for your right. (Complete. Though Listeners is built on some fun ideas, neither the characters-especially the main duo-or the story much to build upon the frameworks of a fairly interesting premise. Overall the series just felt underwhelming and undercooked in some aspects and did little for me.) 2/5

Sakura Wars The Animation
episode 12 Chaos and conclusion. (Complete. A solid series that managed to be charming in its more laidback episodes though admittedly the more serious content towards the end was just alright and nothing all that special. This may have gone under the radar this season but provided incentive for me to go out and pick up the recent video game in the future.) 3/5

Wave, Listen to Me!
episode 12 Let’s chase our dreams. (Complete. A refreshing series focusing on an older cast as a drunken ramble on a late night radio show gives way to a series of bizarre yet fun scenarios as we follow a likeable group of characters, anchored by the lovable yet flawed Minare who was a delight to watch throughout.) 4/5

A League of their Own (Film)
“There’s no crying in Baseball!”

Bungo Stray Dogs episodes 7-12 (Complete. So far, so good. I’ve been meaning to watch this series for a while and now there’s three seasons and a film to watch so I’m looking forward to delving further into this franchise.) 3.5/5

Bungo Stray Dogs 2
episodes 13-18

Last edited:
Rising Of The Shield Hero-finally got my hands on all 25 episodes and started watching it, I like it so far 3 episodes in.
Wave, Listen To Me 12-I'm gonna miss this one, the best series of the spring season.
Listeners 12-It was quite the enjoyable series.

I've watch pretty much nothing over the last few weeks

Finished Tamayomi after being 4 episodes behind

With a mix of not-great audio (Especially in the first few episodes), Animation being mostly Fine with lots of switching to CGI and reusuing quite a few shots

Best I can say is its "just fine". Very standard run of the mill school club anime but with less memerable characters

Would I recommend it - No
Would I watch a Season 2 - Yeh why not

Its not Basketball, but I'd rather recommend Harukana Receive if you want to watch a standard "Highschool Girl Sport" type show

Had a bit of a movie day!

Eureka Seven Hi-Evolution 1
I really enjoyed this film. I'm not sure it would work for those who havent seen the series as it makes a very deliberate decision to jump back and forth. But it's an amazing way to re-experience the show from a different perspective. Rather than being about Renton and Eurekas relationship it's all about Renton and his trauma and it's mostly set against his time with Charles and Ray as the one good thing he has. Also the opening 25mins before the mains story starts are spectacular. In some ways worth seeing the film just for that.

Gurren Lagann The Movie 1
By contrast this movie offers nothing new. In fact so much has to be cut that it's just a greatest hits of the series and the emotional weight of certain events is massively compromised as a result. Also having to watch something as vibrant and dynamic as GL with subtitles is a real chore.

Gurren Lagann The Movie 2
Now this one was amazing! Maybe I dont remember this part as well but there seemed to be more significant differences to the show. And the finale is just so epic and ludicrous that you cant helped but be sucked in. A much more worthy addition to the franchise.

Gurren Lagann Parallel Works
A pretty weird bunch if music videos that each tell their own story. It's pretty weird that 1 of these was made so the fact there are 14 is pretty amazing. My favourite was probably the first one with a medieval europe type setting. I actually wanted to watch a full anime of it!

One Piece Stampede
This might be the best single act movie ever! After a brief intro the carnage starts and it doesnt let up all the way to the credits. It's not the best One Piece has to offer but it might be the most One Piece has to offer. A lot of fun.

Wow someone likes Hi Evo 1 it’s my second least fav anime of all time after Madoka Magica Record.
Haha I can totally see why some wouldn't like it. Anime films that recap a series are often something I cant stand and simply the fact this one did it in such a different and unique way was something I could really appreciate.

Arte ep 12 (complete)
The height of ambition.
A fairly interesting look at the life of an artists apprentice, although I'm not sure how accurate it is, as it was also quite lighthearted. Arte herself is based upon a real person though, but again not sure how much of what happened, happened to the real person. Arte was a very likable character though.
Ironically the art wasn't the best, I didn't particularly like the art style of the characters (designs were OK) and the buildings in the background have too many straight lines which doesn't sell their authenticity.
7/10

My Next Life as a Villainess: All Routes Lead to Doom!
ep 12 (complete)
Friendship!
An isekai with a different twist to the usual power fantasy, where kindness rather than brute force wins the day. Catarina is an energetic, but ditzy character that was fun to watch interact with the other characters as she builds a harem with both male and female members. Not really sure what they'll do in season 2 with that happy ending though, maybe some external force will come into play to shake things up a bit?
The art style is fairly similar to Arte, but the character designs over all better, the backgrounds with natural scenes are very nice, but again buildings are a little boringly "shiny".
8/10

Promare [rewatch] - Watched the dub for the first time (have seen the sub 3 times already) and still really enjoyed it. Steve Blum voicing Captain Ignis reminded me I need to watch Big O again, and Kray's dub voice was not what I was expecting, but still absolutely love it. If there is a day I don't holla, cheer, woop and applaud that film, you know there is something very wrong. 12/10.

I think I now know how Andrew understands about trying to screen Redline as much as possible. I'd watch this at the cinema every week if I could, and one thing I'd love is to go to a screening with glowsticks and ****.

Back