Your viewing journal

Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex 2045 ep1-3 English dub

Occasionally meme-worthy CGI notwithstanding, I actually quite like this. It feels like they're playing it more broadly than GitS typically would, but the characterisation is right and it does have an apparent knack for ending each episode in a way that makes me want to watch the next one.

Armored Trooper Votoms episodes 41-52 (Complete. A decent series with some distinct arcs that offered their own styles and settings, from gritty cities to dense jungles and then to space. Not sure why there was a pair of Lord Farquard lookalikes though but there we go. Looking forward to seeing what the OVAs offer.) 3.5/5

Yeah, I feel like that's about right, score wise. I have a lot of time for Votoms, but I just wish the show's pacing wasn't so hit and miss. You'll get episodes where a huge amount happens in the space of 20 minutes (I think the prison break in the second episode is a real standout) or you get chunks where it just feels really fillery and needlessly dragged out. Still never seen all of the OVAs, but Roots of Ambition was a definite favourite of mine.

Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex 2045 ep1-3 English dub

Occasionally meme-worthy CGI notwithstanding, I actually quite like this. It feels like they're playing it more broadly than GitS typically would, but the characterisation is right and it does have an apparent knack for ending each episode in a way that makes me want to watch the next one.

Yeah, I feel like that's about right, score wise. I have a lot of time for Votoms, but I just wish the show's pacing wasn't so hit and miss. You'll get episodes where a huge amount happens in the space of 20 minutes (I think the prison break in the second episode is a real standout) or you get chunks where it just feels really fillery and needlessly dragged out. Still never seen all of the OVAs, but Roots of Ambition was a definite favourite of mine.
Yeah admittedly Votoms, especially in the later arcs, does have patches where it feels like it’s pacing slowed a fair bit and wasn’t going anywhere. It did have some great stuff early on but once it got into space that’s where these issues become more prominent. Still had some great action though.

Last edited:
I love Votoms, it's my favourite of the big mecha franchises. The TV series has the best first episode of any TV series I've seen and I like the way it creates mysterious in Chirico. The OVAs add a lot of meat to the bones and continue the story to a decent conclusion, Roots of Ambition is absolutely fantastic. If you watch it all in chronological order rather than production order it works really well.

I love Votoms, it's my favourite of the big mecha franchises. The TV series has the best first episode of any TV series I've seen and I like the way it creates mysterious in Chirico. The OVAs add a lot of meat to the bones and continue the story to a decent conclusion, Roots of Ambition is absolutely fantastic. If you watch it all in chronological order rather than production order it works really well.
Would you be able to point me in the right direction of said chronological order?

Aldnoah.Zero episode 10

RahXephon episode 19

MondaysMonogatari Series: Second Season1328
TuesdaysClaymore826
WednesdaysWolf's Rain2226
ThursdaysMobile Suit Gundam1442
FridaysAldnoah.Zero1012
SaturdaysKämpfer012
SundaysWelcome to the NHK!824
ExtraGuilty Crown1022
SimulwatchRahXephon1926

Jubei Chan 2 Episodes 11 to 13 (complete)

Nice ending to tie up most of the loose ends, some more sword fighting and emotional drama.

Dragonaut - The Resonance Episodes 1 to 7

Latest title from my pile (more a case of picking a title out at random). Interesting setting and story so far, bit jumpy with the timeline and it had the traditional swimsuit episode for fan service

A Certain Scientific Railgun T (English Dub) Episode 8

If My Favorite Pop Idol Made It to the Budokan, I Would Die (English Dub) Episode 10

Nekopara (English Dub) Episode 10

The 8th Son? Are You Kidding Me? (English Dub) Episode 1

A Certain Scientific Railgun T Episode 14 Dragons and dancing.

The 8th Son? Are You Kidding Me? Episode 7 Competition.

A Certain Scientific Railgun T episode 14 Those who saved.

Bungo and Alchemist -Gears of Judgement- episode 5 Selfish assumption.

Listeners episode 7 One of the better episodes we’ve had so far, I liked these characters more than our leads.

Sakura Wars The Animation episode 7 Fun for three.

Wave, Listen to Me! episode 7 Ceiling horrors.

Heart of Dragon (Film) Further thoughts in the film thread but 88Films have provided another great package here with several versions of the film and multiple audio tracks.

Assassination Classroom (Rewatch) episodes 1-10

Kakushigoto ep 7
Wan wan!

Listeners ep 7
The fascist regime
They made you a moron

Wave, Listen to Me! ep 7
All is not what it seems.

Arte ep 7
Propositions and negotiations.

Kaguya-sama: Love is War s2 e6
Election day.

Ralph Wrecks the Internet
A fun film with loads of references.

Dragonaut - The Resonance Episodes 8 to 25 & OVA (complete)

Overall an average series, character development is a bit slow paced but has interesting animation for the dragons. OVA was more a "what the heck" for the first part. Probably not one I will be watching again, heck if it was region 2 it would be heading onto the pile to sell to CEX.

Aldnoah.Zero episodes 11-12 (End)
A great action mecha series with fantastic production by director Ei Aoki's new studio TROYCA with assistance by A1-Pictures. Hiroyuki Sawano's soundtrack is great as usual with BRE@TH//LESS and aLIEz being big highlights. As this was a Urobuchi series I knew to expect a depressing ending and it certainly delivered on that front. Though with that ending I'm really wondering why there's even a second season. 8/10

Kämpfer
episodes 1-4
Okay this is surprisingly fun so far. It's good garbage

Guilty Crown episode 11

RahXephon episode 20

MondaysMonogatari Series: Second Season1328
TuesdaysClaymore826
WednesdaysWolf's Rain2226
ThursdaysMobile Suit Gundam1442
FridaysAldnoah.Zero1212
SaturdaysKämpfer412
SundaysWelcome to the NHK!824
ExtraGuilty Crown1122
SimulwatchRahXephon2026

My Next Life as a Villainess: All Routes Lead to Doom! (English Dub) Episode 1

Welcome to Demon School! Iruma-kun (English Dub) Episode 16

Arte Episode 7 Requests and Arrangements.

Ascendance of a Bookworm 2nd Season Episode 21 A problematic new face.

Kaguya-Sama: Love is War 2nd Season Episode 18 Speeches and verbal exchanges.

My Next Life as a Villainess: All Routes Lead to Doom! Episode 7 Identity reveal.

Arte episode 7 Bargaining.

Ascendance of a Bookworm Part 2 episode 21 Make mine music.

Gal & Dino episode 7 Busking and busting in.

My Next Life as a Villainess: All Routes lead to Doom! episode 7 Unexpected reunion and booby traps galore.

Sing “YESTERDAY” For Me episode 7 The space between.

Stormy Monday (Film)

Assassination Classroom (Rewatch)
episodes 11-22 (Complete. Still very enjoyable on my second rewatch, though some aspects like the smugness of the other school classes towards 3-E could have used some more nuance.) 4/5

Assassination Classroom Second Season (Rewatch)
episodes 23-26

Last edited:
Gleipnir Episode 7 Metamophosis.

Shachibato! President, It's Time for Battle! Episode 7 Paperwork hell and Gift shopping.

Tsugu Tsugumomo Episode 7 In game.

Tower of God ep 7
Tag. Hints that Rachel being or wanting to be a Princess and thus why she had to push Bam away.

Villainess ep 7
Testing time. The bit at the start seems to suggest that some or all of the cast may have been reincarnated into the game world and Katarina just happened to realise much earlier than the rest.

Sing "Yesterday" for Me ep 7
Seeing things clearer.

Ascendance of a Bookworm ep 7
New retainers, new problems. At least this episode she solved the problem herself. In recent weeks in the course of trying to solve a problem the head priest ended up helping her and came up with the solution instead of her, which changed the feeling of the show a bit.

Gleipnir ep 7
Some more breadcrumbs of backstory.

Back