Your viewing journal

Space Runaway Ideon: Episodes 5-8 - Punching Mechanical Jellyfish in Psychedelic Hyperspace Edition

IDE_0201.jpg

Damn, Kasha, for a character introduced as the girly-girl of the show who screamed at bugs getting on you and wears a pink spacesuit, you sure got bloodthirsty fast with your constant lust for fighting at every possible opportunity, declarations of no surrender and berating of the ship's commander when he refuses to stomp Ideon's big robot boots on retreating soldiers. Expectations successfully subverted. She has a good mentor in Sheryl though, to whom children are an inconvenience who can s*d off and die for all she cares and whose snarky response to said same commander when she's discovered basically torturing the truth out of a female prisoner (something she knows he's too sympathetic towards her to do) is "Aren't you the one who said we should get to know our enemy better?"

IDE_0203.jpg
The men are weak, Kasha. It's up to us, an archaeologist and a schoolgirl to win this war.

Meanwhile, Karala regales the crew with the tale of the Buff Clan's actually buff ancient hero, who had fabulous secret powers revealed to him the day he held aloft his magic pomegranate and said "By the power of Ideooon". Now they believe that power's in the corpse of a Transformer and can provide infinite energy from love, or something. I can't really blame Cosmo for laughing at that one, but then I don't suppose anyone's going to believe his story of bringing a knife to a lightsaber fight when he duelled an alien samurai on the planet of the dinosaurs either (this actually happens - What is it with retro sci-fi anime and dinosaur planets?).

IDE_0202.jpg

Besides Karala's odd story and a short explanation of how hyperspace works, it didn't feel like the plot advanced a whole lot in these episodes. But then when you go to the dinosaur planet you sort of know you're in for filler, and I guess we did get some time for the personalities of the characters to come out a bit more. The communications issues between the cultures was an interesting point, and not something that's often given much thought in stories of alien contact. The humans seem to have taken very well to operating alien tech though, and whether anything will come of the fact both cultures appear to understand the concept of samurai I don't know.

I think the tradition for these posts is going to be ending on a comical shot of the kids.

IDE_0204.jpg

Toradora! (dub) eps 24 & 25 (complete)
Pretty bittersweet ending.

A Lull in the Sea eps 23-26 (complete)
Feelings save the day.

2 Okada offerings, the first an adaptation and the second an original. The main difference I felt was that the characters in Toradora were people who had a life outside of the romance part with their own likes, dislikes, and faults and strengths. Whereas all the characters in Lull were pretty one note, they liked one of the other characters and that was about it, they only served to be part of the love dodecahedron that Okada was building. The only purpose of the events of the lore seemed to be to have a time skip, so the 2 9 year olds who had crushes on 14 year old boys could be suddenly the same age! With the lore, I think a much better story could have been structured around that, but it was not to be.
Toradora! 8/10
A Lull in the Sea 6/10

In/Spectre
ep 4
The investigation starts in ernest.

With Darwin's Game having a recap already! (Although Funi doesn't have it!) and Interspecies Reviewers pulled, that's Friday and Saturday done.

MSG Origin/Trilogy/Reconguista
Put my thoughts in the Gundam thread the other day but always enjoy a bit if Gundam.

Zombie Land Saga
Absolutely loved it. Funny, endearing, heartfelt, good music (especially the metal in episode 1) really loved the dub (one song tried to fit too many syllables into the verse) So much fun to watch. Wish it was 100 episodes longer!

Blazblue
Fun little series. Well animated and engrossing with an array of character types. Not spectacular but certainly enjoyable and if they ever adapt any of the other games I'd check it out.

Liz and the Blue Bird
Absolute masterpiece. Gentle in appearance but heavy in emotion. Wonderful addition to the Sound Euphonium franchise. It's a crime it's not more popular here. The animation is stunning. The music great. The story is entirely character driven. The dub was fantastic.

Welcome to Demon School! Iruma-kun (English Dub) Episode 7

22/7 Episode 4 Photo shoot and cherry blossoms.

A Destructive God Sits Next to Me Episode 4 Making up.

In/Spectre Episode 4 The joint Investigation begins.

Interspecies Reviewers Episode 4 [Uncensored] Sizzling hot and hide the sausage (literally).

Magia Record: Puella Magi Madoka Magica Side Story Episode 5 A familiar face.

Welcome to Demon School! Iruma-kun Episode 18 Going out with a bang.

A Destructive God Sits next to Me, Bokuhaka episode 4 Making amends for mean-spirited misunderstandings.

In/Spectre episode 4 Keep Dr. Kanou as far away from this idol as possible.

Magia Record: Mahou Shoujo Madoka☆Magica Gaiden episode 5 A creepy labyrinth.

My Hero Academia Fourth Season episode 79 Plays well with children?

Welcome to Demon School! Iruma-Kun episode 18 I liked how they added in a twist to a commonly used trope here, especially after dragging this arc out.

Twin Peaks episodes 27-29 How’s Annie?!

Sailor Moon SuperS episodes 142-145

Last edited:
Kiki's Delivery Service (re-watch obviously)
Oda Cinnamon Nobunaga episode 4
Science Fell In Love, And I Tried to Prove It (or whatever its called) episode 6
Asteroid In Love episode 5
In/Spectre episode 4
Deadman Wonderland episodes 1-9
I'm not impressed with Netflix here. Every episode it reverts over to closed captions subs which is annoying, and it intermittently beeps out bad language (with [BEEEEP] in the subtitles) but doesn't seem too bothered about the blood, brains or boobs which is more confusing than anything. I expect its off the back of whatever Toonami did to it.

One Piece Film: Stampede (Japanese audio) - Film

As someone who has only got knowledge of the manga's volumes 1-70 (the beginning part of the Dressrosa arc), I was able to follow through the film and the characters pretty well without any problems. The film does recap briefly who each person is so I didn't have any issues. The story was pretty good and simple (and while the film is non-canon, I actually felt that it would work pretty well within the main storyline despite the large cast of characters it has altogether). The art style was great as well and I believe it may be based on the current arc's design than the usual, however, the CG was overdone in a number of places and can be jarring. In addition, some of the sound effects do feel like they were taken from Dragon Ball. Overall, great fun and worth checking out.

There is a post-credit scene for those curious.

yUaYxDul.png

Interspecies Reviewers (Japanese audio) - Uncensored Episodes 1-4

Sound! Euphonium 2 - Episode 1.
Interesting to think all the controversy over the anime awards in 2016/17 was over YOI and then this was never nominated for anything I’m like what, the fact later on worse KyoAni shows got nominated is interesting. I thought this show popular I must be wrong.

Back