Your viewing journal

Space Runaway Ideon (Ee-day-oh-un~): Episodes 1-4

IDE_0101.jpg
Awaken, my Ideon.

"The views expressed in this disc do not necessarily represent the views of Maiden Japan" is what greets me upon loading this disc. There are no special features or commentaries on this disc. Which views? The views expressed by the fictional characters of Space Runaway Ideon? I suppose it might be relevant one day, and Maiden Japan can point to this disclaimer should they ever find themselves accused of causing an intergalactic war.

I'm familiar with Ideon for all the influence it subequently had and I've had pretty much the whole thing spoiled for me. But I'm not sure any amount of foreknowledge can live up to experiencing the real thing. It's both profound and mental. Archaeologists dig up (and restore, so they're also mechanics I guess) some massive ancient Tonka trucks that turn into a giant robot, and where Gundam inspires awe Ideon inspires terror, despite the fact it looks like the cheapest off-brand toy robot you could hope to find in B&M. It's like watching a GoBot straight up murder people, a GoBot piloted by a kid with a massive ginger afro while a squirrel sits on his shoulder. It's great. If the sight of Cosmo attempting to make Ideon throw a punch at a passing jet fighter, only to miss and fall over while he nervously mutters "oh s***" isn't peak mecha, I don't know what is.

IDE_0103.jpg

Before I even knew anything about Ideon, it was Tomonori Kogawa's fantastic Japanese DVD cover art that drew my attention to it, and sure enough his character designs are really nice too. I like the way the Buff Clan (that name is always going to sound daft, they're not even particularly hench) have solid coloured eyes and no outlines to their eyebrows to differentiate them. Colour is used very well in general, there's some really nice looking shots. And the women have lips, that's not something you see much any more. And there have been a few scenes of said juicy-lipped women panting and sweating in what some might consider unnecessary detail. Some might.

IDE_0104.jpg

But that detail is great. I was a little trepidatious upon seeing the menu image, which looks less DNR'd to death and more like someone used a paint bucket fill tool on it, but thankfully the show itself looks fantastic. Not just preserved grain but even stuff like cel dust, it's a wonderfully detailed transfer for the age of the show and I look forward to continuing with it. Right, now I'll get back to watching AD Police like I'm supposed to be doing and leave you with this picture of the chupacabra.

IDE_0102.jpg

Last edited:
Ace of Diamond: Act II episode 42 Fight to the death.

BanG Dream! 3rd Season episodes 4-5 Band integration and PoPi-V!

Black Clover episode 118 Tragedy of the past.

Isekai Quartet 2 episode 2 Breaking and entering.

Sorcerous Stabber Orphen episode 3 Dying words.

Simulwatch: AD Police OVA 2

Romeo X Juliet
episodes 13-21

Toradora! (dub) eps 9 & 10
Spooky beach holiday.

A Lull in the Sea eps 8-10
That took a serious turn pretty quickly.

Chihayafuru s3 e15
Nasty tactics.
Apparently there's a recap next week 🙄 but I do remember them being quite fun in the first 2 seasons.

Toradora! eps 11-13
School cultural festival. Some excellent emotional moments in this arc.

K-on! Season 2

I love this show. Getting to see it on blu ray was also nice! It's interesting that as I get older, and further away from my days playing in a band at 6th form and uni, that I get way more emotional in the final third of this series as their days at high school come to a close. Theres a personal nostalgia for days I really miss.

Toradora! (dub) ep 14
Urban myth.

A Lull in the Sea eps 11-13
Confessions and a festival.

BOFURI ep 3
Levelling up for the next event. This is a pretty light show, but the action stuff has been very good.

Toradora! (dub) ep 15
Rebel rebel.

Ahiru no Sora episode 16 Duo.

Blade of the Immortal episode 16 Back-breaking

BOFURI: I Don't Want to Get Hurt, so I'll Max Out My Defense episode 3 Spooky healing.

Radiant 2nd Season episode 16 Sorcerers as slaves?

Simulwatch: AD Police OVA 3

Romeo X Juliet
episodes 22-24 (Complete. One of the better takes I’ve seen on Shakespeare’s signature love story. Though some of the story and the ending are the same they take some liberties with the source material and, for the most part, it worked.) 3.5/5

Twin Peaks
episode 8 Also watched A Slice of David Lynch Uncut, it was a lot of fun.

BOFURI: I Don't Want to Get Hurt, so I'll Max Out My Defense (English Dub) Episode 1

Cautious Hero: The Hero is Overpowered but Overly Cautious (English Dub) Episode 12 (Complete)

Plunderer (English Dub) Episode 3 Good deeds and On the trail.

Radiant Season 2 (English Dub) Episode 14

BOFURI: I Don't Want to Get Hurt, so I'll Max Out My Defense Episode 3 Gearing up.

Radiant Season 2 Episode 16 The truth is revealed.

Re:ZERO -Starting Life in Another World- [Director’s Cut] Episode 4

The Seven Deadly Sins: Wrath of the Gods Episode 15 Battle of wills.

Saint Seiya: Knights of the Zodiac (English audio) - Episodes 7-12 (Completed)

The first half started out great but felt flat in the end, but the second half actually makes up for it and is actually pretty good until the last two episodes and even ends with a cliffhanger of all things. Sure this is a CG reboot so there are probably some changes from the original anime and manga, but it grabbed my attention enough to keep going for most of it. I would rather watch the original anime series though if Toei actually made it available in the UK on Netflix like US & Australia have.

Toradora! (dub) ep 16
Fight the power.

A Lull in the Sea eps 14-16
Time skip. So far it only seems to have happened to shake up the relationships as one of the sea girls didn't hibernate so is now 5 years older than the boy she crushed on, the younger girls who crushed on the 2 boys are now the same age and the sea girl who they both had a thing for is still out of the picture and meanwhile the surface boy she fancied now seems to fancy the sea girl he's grown up with for the last 5 years! So nothing much has happened in the overall plot at all.

NekoparA ep 3
Elusive youngster.

Hatena☆Illusion ep 3
And I said, "Well, that's the one thing we've got"

Somali and the Forest Spirit ep 3
Got Nausicaa vibes from the underground place they visit.

Budoukan ep 3
Mistakes and a new fan.

Right that's it for today. Toilet Bound Hanako-kun hasn't shown up for some reason and I'm outta time.

Kono Oto Tomare! Sounds of Life Season 2 (Japanese audio) - Episodes 1-3 [14-16]
We Never Learn: BOKUBEN Season 2 (Japanese audio) - Episodes 1-3 [14-16]

Hatena☆Illusion (English Dub) Episode 1

High School Prodigies Have It Easy Even In Another World (English Dub) Episode 12 (Complete)

Infinite Dendrogram (English Dub) Episode 1

Nekopara (English Dub) Episode 1

Toilet Bound Hanako-kun (English Dub) Episode 1

Hatena☆Illusion Episode 3 Stealing and retrieving.

If My Favorite Pop Idol Made It to the Budokan, I Would Die Episode 3 Kindred spirits.

Infinite Dendrogram Episode 3 PK info low-down.

Nekopara Episode 3 A new family member.

Somali and the Forest Spirit Episode 3 Human makes a friend.

Toilet Bound Hanako-kun Episode 3 Crossed over.

NekoparA episode 3 Missing (Everything but the catgirl).

Somali and the Forest Spirit episode 3 Kikila in the box.

The Case Files of Jeweler Richard episode 3 A young customer’s troubles.

Toilet-bound Hanako-Kun episode 3 The hourglass whittles down.

Saga of Tanya the Evil episodes 1-6

Twin Peaks episode 9

Side note: thought I’d posted this last night but must have dozed off.

Back