Your viewing journal

In This Corner Of The World (Blu-ray)

This film absolutely captivated me, touching and harrowing and beautifully crafted, a great demonstration of the power of animation.

Science Ninja Team Gatchaman - Episodes 31 - 34 (Blu-ray)

Episodes 32 & 33 were a really good two-parter and episode 34 was pretty good as well, yes it is formulaic but so far Gatchaman has managed to be reasonably creative and kept things interesting.

In This Corner Of The World (Blu-ray)

This film absolutely captivated me, touching and harrowing and beautifully crafted, a great demonstration of the power of animation.
After reading the manga I discovered that a really important part, for me, had been cut that explored an aspect of Suzu's relationship with her husband.
But they have now made an extended cut:
Wonder if Manga will give it a cinematic release or a new CE (Hopefully with a better booklet)?

Princess Principal (dub) eps 4-6
Nice mix of different types of spy action in these three: infiltration, action and a fun undercover job.
Seems the timeline will keep jumping around a bit.

As it was hammering it down outside and I'm seeing Weathering With You tomorrow I thought I'd watch some short films involving weather and/or by Shinkai.
Typhoon Noruda
About a boy who is trying to save a girl who is in an unfortunate situation. A bit too short to get really invested, but I liked it well enough.
Art and animation were pretty good.
7/10

Garden of Words
(re-watch)
5 Centimeters per Second (re-watch)
Thinking about it, the weather plays a big role in both these Shinkai films.

Chihayafuru s3 e14
Another excellent episode with both the katuta part and the personal parts getting big moments.

Star Wars: The Last Jedi
First time I've watched this since the cinema. The first half was a bit dull and full of stupid moments, but the second half picked up a bit and had, probably, some of the coolest moments of the entire series!

Last edited:
Ace of Diamond: Act II episode 41 Taking it easy?

BanG Dream! 3rd Season episodes 2-3 Running and realisation.

Black Clover episode 117 Bird is the word.

Isekai Quartet 2 episode 1 New kids on the block.

Sorcerous Stabber Orphen episode 2. A better episode than the first.

Continued with TG: re part 1 for my review also.

Ishuzoku Reviewers ep.1-kinda goofy but I enjoyed it

Fairy Gone S2 ep.11-waiting for the last simuldub episode so I can close out the series.

Star Wars-The Rise Of Skywalker-saw it a few days ago and found it to be an excellent (if rushed) closing to the Star Wars saga.

@D1tchd1gger Check out Someone's Gaze (Dareka no Manazashi) 6 min short film by Shinkai. No one seems to of heard of it but its really good imo, one of his better efforts.

Legend of Korra seasons 1-4 complete
I'm going to be controversial and say I thought this was better than Avatar. Yes Avatar has Zuko who gets the best character story in the franchise but as a show overall I orefered Korra. Season 2 was especially excellent. The world and lore building was superb in that season. I also liked how the villains thought they were helping others doing what they were doing and Korras individual struggles were really engrossing. She was a far more interesting protagonist than Aang with a more clear and consistent character arc.

No one seems to of heard of it
Probably because it's an ad!
The art and animation is great as always, but the story's a little odd. Everything is **** and we're lying to ourselves and each other and hardly see our family and now our cats died, but it's OK cos we've got a new one and now the family's back together! WUT!
I'm not sure what it's even advertising.

Plunderer (English Dub) Episode 2 Deceiving.

BOFURI: I Don't Want to Get Hurt, so I'll Max Out My Defense Episode 2 Now that's a shield Naofumi would love to get his hands on.

Radiant Season 2 Episode 15 A senseless war.

Re:ZERO -Starting Life in Another World- [Director’s Cut] Episode 3

The Seven Deadly Sins: Wrath of the Gods Episode 14 Sneek attack.

Ahiru no Sora episode 15 Creepy cousin part deux.

Blade of the Immortal episode 15 Slow burn insanity.

BOFURI: I Don't Want to Get Hurt, so I'll Max Out My Defense episode 2

Radiant 2nd Season episode 15 Forest of fatigue.

Also Finished off TG: re Part 1 for my review.

Last edited:
Princess Principal (dub) eps 7-9
Three character driven episodes. The first was quite moving especially at the end and the last was basically The Prince(ss) and The Pauper although the reveal had already been heavily hinted at in an earlier episode.

BOFURI ep 2
First event and a fishing trip.

Kabukichou Sherlock eps 12 & 13
Catch the Neko and a backstory episode.

Your Name. (re-watch, at the cinema)

Weathering With You (at the cinema)
Right up towards the end I was going to say this was better than Your Name., but I felt the ending was fumbled a bit. I felt that even though it was less obscure than YN it didn't feel quite as earnt especially as there's a time skip that which seemed a bit weird and stalled the flow a bit. I know YN had a time skip, but that made sense with what had happened before, also the environmental message was a bit muddled with lots of the people telling our MC that what was happening was natural, etc and nothing to be done, but then the MC says "we did it" which related to the story, but possibly is supposed to have a double meaning? Personally I would have liked the ending of our male lead fighting to reach the girl as she was fading away and then either sacrificed himself to stay with her or even taking her place.
What I did like, apart from the usual things Shinkai is known to be excellent at, was the characters and there relationships, especially the leads who interacted face to face a hell of a lot more than in YN (although that was a massive part of the plot of that film) and was very sweet. The comedy felt a lot more natural than the, oft repeated, boob joke of YN, although there was a few similar gags.
Obviously art and animation were great.
8/10 (same as YN, but a lesser 8)

Back