Your viewing journal

Finished up showing Ghost Hunt Eps 22-25 to the next door neighbors tonight, we watched the final 4-episode arc, which was probably the most wicked of all the story arcs. They were really surprised that an anime could be that spooky and intense. 😨

Next up I think we'll be starting a long grind with Fullmetal Achemist and then Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood - The neighbor guy has been wanting to see them both, he had only seen a few random episodes on TV quite a few years ago, so they will basically be watching the two series for the first time.

Ergo Proxy ep12-13

This journeying section of the story has certainly been engaging, but I find it slightly disjointed - I feel it's more like a series of snapshots of the characters popping up in different places than a sense of them progressing along a route.

Never expected Iggy to go out like that, man.

Babylon ep5

This is definitely proving a lot pulpier than I expected. Not necessarily a bad thing, I'm just surprised.

Cautious Hero: The Hero is Overpowered But Overly Cautious (Japanese audio) - Episode 6
Kemono Michi: Rise Up (Japanese audio) - Episode 7
ORESUKI Are you the only one who loves me? (Japanese audio) - Episode 7

Motivational screencap of the day:
ILYTBslh.png

oB5T89oh.png

Another_-_Hhnngg.gif

After School Dice Club episode 7 Some poignant conversation and more fun post-summer games.

Ahiru no Sora episode 7 Reminiscing and running.

Ascendance of a Bookworm episode 7 Going a little too far.

Blade of the Immortal (2019) episode 7 Joining forces?

Radiant 2nd Season episode 7 Wanting to protect.

Monty Python’s Flying Circus episodes 31-34

After School Dice Club Episode 7
Reminiscing conversation and another fun game.

Ascendance of a Bookworm Episode 7
Sometimes being a know-it-all isn't always a good thing.

Cautious Hero: The Hero Is Overpowered but Overly Cautious Episode 6
The hero does some slaying.

Kemono Michi: Rise Up Episode 7
The master and his disciple.

ORESUKI: Are you the only one who loves me? Episode 7
Unexpected visitor and Pool fun. That ending tho...

Radiant Season 2 Episode 7
A desire to protect those you care about.

The Seven Deadly Sins: Wrath of the Gods Episode 6
Tough decisions and unexpected outcomes.

Alright, done watching DEEN's Fate Stay Night.

There is no possible comparison with ufotable's work, is all I'll say. Ufotable's take elevates the source material in every conceivable way, and watching this just makes me appreciate UBW and Zero even more. But it also feels like a more close collaboration with Type-Moon? Not sure if that's the case, but it feels that way.

I started getting into Fate through Zero, but it was interesting to see just how much was already set in stone in the original adaptation.

I feel more capable of talking waifus now. Seeing Saber, a centuries old king behaving like a teenage girl isn't very interesting and I don't care a whole lot about her dynamic with Shirou, I think the power balance is a bit too screwed up. Master this, Master that eew.

On the other hand, I rather like Rin's relationship with Shirou, because it feels they're more or less on the same level, and it's fun seeing their back and forth.

Individually though, I like Sakura the best. Her "Senpai" side is extremely annoying, but after all she suffered, I can't help but want a happy ending for her. I also really love the duality of her character. A happy ending would go against the vibe the Heaven's Feel movies are going for, but here's hoping.

I feel like rewatching Zero and UBW again... It's not even been 2 months since the last time.

Fate stay night is easily the worst I've seen of those stories. UBW is, as you say, better in every regard. Zero has probably been my fav so far though Heavens Feel has got off to a great start even if the first act of that film is terribly paced.

Fate stay night is easily the worst I've seen of those stories. UBW is, as you say, better in every regard. Zero has probably been my fav so far though Heavens Feel has got off to a great start even if the first act of that film is terribly paced.
To be fair they couldn't have done much else with that first act since they're assuming the audience is already familiar with the Fate and UBW routes. The first few episodes of UBW should cover what was skipped.

To be fair they couldn't have done much else with that first act since they're assuming the audience is already familiar with the Fate and UBW routes. The first few episodes of UBW should cover what was skipped.
It's more that what is presented is oddly paced. The dialogue is slow and filled with long pauses. Nothing really happens for half an hour and it couldve easily been 10-15mins. After the intro montage that covers the first few episodes from the series the film is great. I just felt the first 30mins couldve been handled better.

Funny you say that about Presage Flower's pacing, because I have the same complaint, only about Lost Butterfly.

It's true that the first movie's opening 30 minutes take their time, but generally I found the movie extremely fun from beginning to end with just about enough action scenes interspersed throughout that I never felt bored
(Herc vs. Saber, Saber vs. Rider, Lancer vs. Assassin, Caster vs. Everyone, Assassin vs. Saber and Rider vs. Assassin).

Meanwhile, in the second movie,
after the Shirou vs. Rider scene, you have a lot of movie where there's not a whole lot going on, apart from character development, but it felt a bit too long for my tastes. I'm not even sure it's a long time, but it felt like it. The only action scenes in the second movie are Shirou vs Rider, the huge action scene after the middle of the movie and then Gilgamesh kebab, if I remember correctly.

Still some of the finest anime movies I've seen in quite some time. If they stick the landing with Spring Song, we'll have ourselves an amazing trilogy 🤤

Back