Your viewing journal

Galaxy Express 999, Episodes 36-48

"Tetsuro, come over to the window. I want you to get a good look as that nice old man we just met commits suicide by pressing the self destruct button on his own space colony. See, what I didn't tell you was that long ago he killed everyone else on board by failing to seal a drive plate properly before repopulating the place with his own clones. Oh, and here's his diary containing all his darkest thoughts, I want you to read it cover to cover and then destroy it so there's no evidence of the mental scarring I'm inflicting upon you."

snapshot_21.50_[2019.09.28_23.20.11].png
Also, Tetsuro, quick! Come look at these corpses I found under the floorboards!

The therapist Tetsuro Hoshino will no doubt require in a few years time is going to struggle to believe any of this. He's already suffering from wild mood swings, beating the crap out of people and aiming deadly firearms at them with only the slightest provocation one minute and consoling and crying over them the next. No doubt some of this is down to Maetel's influence, discouraging him from violence and telling him to let things go with roughly the same regularity that she's tearing people limb from limb with her magic ring in ways Captain Planet surely never intended.

ge999_02.jpg
For the love of God Maetel, please say this isn't going in the Pet Sematary direction I think it's going.

This time our stops include actual space North Korea, the planet of #EndlessWars (which gave me particularly strong Kino's Journey vibes) and uh, Animal Heaven. Hey, I don't make the rules here. We meet Tetsuro's doppelganger, find out the Conductor has (or at least had, if I've learned one thing on my journey through the stars it's to never expect a happy ending) a life outside of work and Tetsuro is involved in at least three attempted coups. Oh, and we're treated to a slow-motion sequence of Tetsuro falling over backwards after being shot. While he's in the nude, with nothing left to the imagination.

ge999_01.jpg

My comments in this thread might make it seem like I'm not very appreciative of GE999, but that's not really so. It's actually a surprisingly deep show for its time (and intended audience) and I'm sure to a kid growing up in the late '70s and watching it on TV weekly, it would have seemed like a fantastic and exciting journey. But to my 21st Century adult eyes as I marathon a dozen episodes at a time, it does seem rather repetitive. Surely there's only so many times Tetsuro can learn that all life is suffering? That, and I get the distinct feeling Leiji Matsumoto probably has/had some fairly deep-seated mother issues. But despite my amusement at its unrelenting miserabilism, it's still a well-meaning show that doesn't sugarcoat difficult moral issues. I'm still planning on riding to the end of the line.

Last edited:
Well, I'm not going to see the sun today.

Galaxy Express 999, Episodes 49-58

ge999_03.jpg
For ever. And ever.

This time on Galaxy Express 999, a lady named Eroz traps the 999 inside her special elastic tunnel and threatens to crush it with her massive orbs. Yes, really. Tetsuro beats her mechanical body to a mangled pile of scrap with a chair. Geez. First mothers and now this, where's Freud when you need him? After starting this run of episodes with the Planet of Actually Decent Human Beings (the twist there being that Tetsuro doesn't trust them, because after all the other sh*t he's witnessed he can't believe people would actually be friendly and helpful) I wondered if GE999 might be lightening up a little. Haha, no.

ge999_04.jpg
Spydra's time-travelling plots to stop Gadget Boy had taken a decidedly dark turn.

This particular multi-episode arc (and I am glad there's been more of those again recently) was quite an engaging one about an insectoid race struggling to survive on a planet which can no longer sustain them. We don't see a lot of alien looking races in GE999 and it was nice to see a different kind of society and biology. But it certainly didn't shy away from the darker themes, featuring probably one of the most grim scenes so far as the 999 ends up full of hundreds of dead babies which Tetsuro, the Conductor and Maetel then have to wrap up and jettison into space, leaving a trail of baby mummies in the train's wake. This is after the entire race sacrificed themselves in order to get the babies on the train in the first place. Again, yes, really. It manages to somehow claw back a hopeful Superman origins style ending though, and Tetsuro learns to follow his own moral compass rather than accepting anyone else's. Which is a damn good job since Maetel and the Conductor, quite predictably at this point, were all for murdering the babies before they died.

And speaking of brutal, the Galaxy Railways Company itself. A previously unknown alien life-form on the tracks, you say? Just plough straight through it. What, it stopped the train? It's sentient? Get the nukes. And why, why do they build stations on some of these planets? Like the planet of the savage bloody cavemen. Yeah, they seem like the sort of people who totally need an intergalactic spaceport, I'm sure it's perfectly safe for passengers to go and hang around with them. All this plus the crossover you never knew you wanted as Tetsuro meets friendly talking dinosaurs. Yes.

ge999_06.jpg
MACTOOT BLOWS ON HIS BAGPIPES, WHILE ELSPETH AND ANGUS WATCH THOSE NOTES GO FLOATING ACROSS THE WAVES~

So after some really quite thoughtful episodes and longer arcs around real world issues of war, family, morality and life and death, we're back firmly in the land of the bizarre. Tetsuro and Maetel visit the haunted hot springs, where a ghost leads Tetsuro into the dark woods... To a disturbed mound of earth, where he digs down and finds a box... He opens it. Inside is... is... The original pages of a shoujo manga the ghost had drawn while they were alive and wanted published. I realise all these spoilers sound totally made up and I wouldn't have believed them either but I swear, no word of a lie. This is just how weird GE999 is. But even at its weirdest, it still manages to pull off some great visuals.

ge999_07.jpg

Last edited:
Keijo!!!!!!!! [Rewatch] episodes 11-12 [End]
Still unironically one of my favourite series. It just knows how ridiculous it is and just owns it. Fun characters, great animation and an absurd setup. 9/10

The Blair Witch Project

The film that really sparked the interest in found footage horror. Really love the mystery and psychological horror in this one.
  1. Evil Dead II
  2. Army of Darkness
  3. The Cabin in the Woods
  4. TribeTwelve (Fortunes, DEATHTRAPEXODUS, Crawlspace, Pitfall)
  5. TribeTwelve (SCRINIARII, Sisyphus, Rendezvous, Facade)
  6. This House Has People in It
  7. Too Many Cooks/Unedited Footage of a Bear
  8. Hellraiser
  9. Hellbound: Hellraiser II
  10. EverymanHYBRID (Half-acre of ash, The day the world ended, All good things, Introductions)
  11. Night of the Living Dead
  12. Shaun of the Dead
  13. Day of the Dead
  14. The Blair Witch Project

In the past week I’ve cleared some of my physical backlog:
Yurikuma Arashi 1-12 - The final Ikuhara show I had to watch and sadly it’s one of his weakest as being a LGBT person the whole forbidden love element was good and the ending was quite moving however the journey between the beginning and the end felt rushed as with only 12 eps every ep had some important revelation and unlike Penguindrum and Utena didn’t allow episodes to build the world and the characters before breaking it down. 8.5/10
Ikuhara rankings
1, Utena film
2. Utena Apocalypse saga
3. Mawaru Penguindrum
4. Rest of Utena TV
5. Yurikuma
6.Sarazanmai
Gundam 0080 War in the pocket: The whole telling the story of a war through a child’s eye it does work well here and gives more weight behind every mindless Zaku in 0079 that war is supposed to be the bloodiest in UC history and it didn’t feel like it until Origin and here so kudos to those for doing that. 9/10
Silver Spoon 1-22
It was good if not an bit overrated S2 is easily better as it moves away from the naivety of the MC as really who doesn’t know cows milk is biologically meant for their young. The more personal S2 felt stronger and would love for a S3 if ever. 8.5/10

Sound & Fury
An audiovisual album from Country artist Sturgill Simpson which is on Netflix. A mix of CG, 2D and Live Action with a theme of the post-apocalypse. Roughly half is the same story mostly made by the same studio behind Batman Ninja and is pretty good. The 2 2D segments are OK, the first a quite sombre one is the better of the 2 and the 2 live action parts are a bit weird with the second one seemingly completely random.
The music isn't really my taste, but some of it is OK.
7/10

Cautious Hero: The Hero is Overpowered but Overly Cautious (Japanese audio) - Episodes 1-2
Kemono Michi: Rise Up (Japanese audio) - Episodes 1-2
ORESUKI Are you the only one who loves me? (Japanese audio) - Episodes 1-2

Mondays:
Babylon - Watched 3 of 12

Tuesdays:
None to watch yet

Wednesdays:
Blade of the Immortal - Watched 2 of 24
Cautious Hero: The Hero is Overpowered but Overly Cautious - Watched 2 of 12
Kemono Michi: Rise Up - Watched 2 of 12
ORESUKI Are you the only one who loves me? - Watched 2 of 12

Thursdays:
None to watch yet

Fridays:
Dr. STONE - Watched 13 of 24 (on-going from Summer 2019 season)
Food Wars! The Fourth Plate - Watched 1 of 25

Saturdays:
My Hero Academia Season 4 - Watched 1 of 25
Sword Art Online: Alicization -War of Underworld- - Watched 1 of 12
Welcome to Demon School! Iruma-kun - Watched 2 of 23

Sundays:
VINLAND SAGA - Watched 12 of 24 (on-going from Summer 2019 season)

Motivational screencap of the day:
2019-10-15_94.png

Ace of Diamond: Act II episode 29 Recap.

Bananya and the Curious Bunch episode 3 Jealousy.

Black Clover episode 105 Recovery.

Brain Damage (Film)

Magical DoReMi
episodes 16-24

Arifureta: From Commonplace to World's Strongest (English Dub) Episode 12

Cop Craft (English Dub) Episode 12 (Complete)

Fairy Tail (English Dub) Episode 327

Isekai Cheat Magician (English Dub) Episode 3

Kandagawa Jet Girls Episode 2 (Uncensored)
A loss, but a good race regardless.

Shoujo☆Conte All Starlight Episode 15

SSSS.GRIDMAN episodes 7-12 [End]
Honestly looking back I was a fool not to continue this while it aired. Fun characters, great fight scenes and a very Gainax/Trigger ending. Definitely better than Trigger's other 2018 offering with Darling in the Franxx ending up being such a mess by the end. 8/10

Marble Hornets
(Entry #79-Entry #83)
Back for more internet horror
  1. Evil Dead II
  2. Army of Darkness
  8. Hellraiser
  10. EverymanHYBRID (Half-acre of ash, The day the world ended, All good things, Introductions)
  12. Shaun of the Dead
  13. Day of the Dead
  15. Marble Hornets (Entry #79-Entry #83)

Ergo Proxy ep4-5

Is this really as far as I ever got into this show on my previous attempt to watch it? I certainly don’t think I got much farther. The well-intentioned false hope that Hoody stirs up in the camp outside the city certainly hasn’t gotten any easier to deal with in the intervening years. If anything, I think we’re so used to seeing images of displaced persons and refugees living in similar camps or shanty towns that it’s only become more discomfortingly believable.

Interesting to note that Sayo Yamamoto is has an early credit for storyboards on ep5 too.

Blade of the Immortal (Japanese audio) - Episode 3
Kemono Michi: Rise Up (Japanese audio) - Episode 3
ORESUKI Are you the only one who loves me? (Japanese audio) - Episode 3

Cautious Hero has a week delay due to production issues so it's just these three for today.

Mondays:
Babylon - Watched 3 of 12

Tuesdays:
None to watch yet

Wednesdays:
Blade of the Immortal - Watched 3 of 24
Cautious Hero: The Hero is Overpowered but Overly Cautious - Watched 2 of 12
Kemono Michi: Rise Up - Watched 3 of 12
ORESUKI Are you the only one who loves me? - Watched 3 of 12

Thursdays:
None to watch yet

Fridays:
Dr. STONE - Watched 13 of 24 (on-going from Summer 2019 season)
Food Wars! The Fourth Plate - Watched 1 of 25

Saturdays:
My Hero Academia Season 4 - Watched 1 of 25
Sword Art Online: Alicization -War of Underworld- - Watched 1 of 12
Welcome to Demon School! Iruma-kun - Watched 2 of 23

Sundays:
VINLAND SAGA - Watched 12 of 24 (on-going from Summer 2019 season)

Motivational screencap of the day:
SPOILER_2019-10-16_2.png

Another_-_Hhnngg.gif

Overlord season 3 complete

Probably my favourite season so far of this show. It's so fun to watch, everything is so over the top! Although broad strokes of a story can be worked out early on they still manage to throw in surprise moments that make the show so enjoyable. It helps that almost every character is interesting and theres so much variety in character types.

Fairy Gone s1 p2 e2
Friends reunited.

Special 7 ep 2
First case for the Rookie.

Ascendance of a Bookworm ep 3
Making things to while away the Winter blues.

ORESUKI ep 3
Sumireko's plan revealed!

After School Dice Club ep 3
Finding your courage to go on. For some reason I found that ending really moving.

Vinland Saga ep 14
God moves in mysterious ways.

After School Dice Club Episode 3
Putting the past behind you, and finding the courage to move forward. Sad backstory tho...

Ascendance of a Bookworm Episode 3
Beating the winter blues with arts and crafts.

Kemono Michi: Rise Up Episode 3
More ridiculous antic and random encounters.

ORESUKI: Are you the only one who loves me? Episode 3
Sumeriko's master plan. Sun-chan's revenge scheme tho... Jeez.

Radiant Season 2 Episode 3

The Seven Deadly Sins: Wrath of the Gods Episode 2
A 3000 year trip into the past.

After School Dice Club episode 3 Hazards and holding onto hope.

Ahiru no Sora episode 3 Part of me wants to drop this because it’s pretty by-the-numbers in terms of plot but it curious to see if the series can break the mould.
Ascendance of a Bookworm episode 3 Craft Work.

Blade of the Immortal (2019) episode 3 A worthy fight.

Radiant 2nd Season episode 3 Soaring.

Joker (Film)

Magical DoReMi
episodes 25-27

Last edited:
Hand Shakers episodes 1-2
Oh there's so much wrong here I don't know where to start. I'm oddly curious now to see how this plays out because it's such a weird series.

Symphogear XV [Rewatch] episode 13
Crunchyroll updated the episode with song subtitles so it was due a rewatch. Still my favourite episode this year.

After School Dice Club episode 3

Marble Hornets (Entry #84-Entry #87)
Part of the big three Slenderman series (including EverymanHYBRID and TribeTwelve), Marble Hornets was the series that had a great influence on internet horror. Like with most internet horror series, MH definitely grew with quality over time with performances and directing being that much better in these final few episodes resulting in a great ending.
  1. Evil Dead II
  2. Army of Darkness
  8. Hellraiser
  12. Shaun of the Dead
  13. Day of the Dead
  15. Marble Hornets (Entry #79-Entry #83)
  16. Marble Hornets (Entry #84-Entry #87)

Back