Your viewing journal

Assassination Classroom Season 2 (Japanese audio) - Episodes 14-18
Claymore (Japanese audio) - Episodes 19-22
Drifters (Japanese audio) - Episodes 1-4

Stand My Heroes: Piece of Truth ep 1
Not the most thrilling episode. A procession of anime pretty boys are introduced, along with our female MC who gets the job of recruiting even more anime pretty boys to a crime squad.
Another candidate for the drop, if it's more office politics than action then it'll probably go. But just like the Unit 7 show there was a scene at the start where the MC witnessed a traumatic event as a kid and hints at some sort of criminal syndicate which may have been involved (and in this case seems interested in the MC due to her unique ability).

Disenchantment s2
Finally finished this. Funnier than the first, I felt. Storywise it picked up from the last for the first 3 eps or so, then went to individual eps with hints of the overall plot before the last 2 seemed to forget about it, until a cliffhanger in the final scene. So I guess they'll be a third season.

The Lego Batman Movie
Not as funny as The Lego Movie.

Arifureta: From Commonplace to World's Strongest (English Dub) Episode 11

Cop Craft (English Dub) Episode 11

Fairy Tail (English Dub) Episode 326

Hensuki: Are you willing to fall in love with a pervert, as long as she’s a cutie? (English Dub) Episode 12 (Complete)

Isekai Cheat Magician (English Dub) Episode 2

Kandagawa Jet Girls Episode 1 (Uncensored)
Seems like is gonna be a really fun show.

Cautious Hero episode 1
Really good start! Toda Mai's character designs and supervision really stand out here and work well with the comedy.

After School Dice Club episode 1
This looks to be a fun school club series.

Hellraiser
Time for a good classic. Really like how the cenobites differ from the usual horror monsters in that they're merely there as a neutral force. Frank's rebirth is still such an iconic scene helped by an amazing soundtrack.

1. Evil Dead II
  2. Army of Darkness
  3. The Cabin in the Woods
  4. Tribetwelve (Fortunes, DEATHTRAPEXODUS, Crawlspace, Pitfall)
  5. Tribetwelve (SCRINIARII, Sisyphus, Rendezvous, Facade)
  6. This House Has People in It
  7. Too Many Cooks/Unedited Footage of a Bear
  8. Hellraiser

Ace of Diamond: Act II episode 28 Never stop.

Bananya and the Curious Bunch episode 2 Wasabi woes.

Black Clover episode 104 No Self Control

House III (AKA The Horror Show) (Film)

Love Lab
episode 2

Last edited:
Starting last week, so far I've watched:

This Hero is Overpowered but Too Cautious - Ep 1 - Very funny, and some brilliant character animation
Kemono Michi Rise Up - Ep 1 - Not as good as I was hoping, some decent gags, but will see where it goes
After School Dice Club
- Ep 1 - As someone just getting into Board Games, this was right up my street. Fantastic seeing all the real games drawn in the background.
Ascendence of a Bookworm
- Ep 1 - The revived in another body setup is not my favourite, but the MC is fairly endearing, so will give it a couple more eps to see what happens.
Oresuki
- Ep 1 - Took a while to break from initial dull harem/rom-com setup, but then was constantly funny.
High School Prodigies Have It Easy Even in Another World! -
Ep 1 - This was super dull and uninteresting. One more ep to see if it actually has any interesting characters.
Azur Lane
- Ep 1 - Don't play the game, but considering the franchise is pretty unavoidable, thought I'd check it out. Was fine even if I had no idea what really was going on.
Dr. STONE
- Ep 5 to 14 - Caught up as I was busy with other things during the summer season. Been reading the manga for this, but its a breezy and easy binge watch.
Null Peta
- Ep 1 - Not long enough to get a sense of, no harm trying a couple more eps.
Welcome to Demon School Iruma-kun
- Ep 1 - Pretty bonkers group of characters. Was amused. Interested to see more of the characters.
Special 7 - Special Crime Investigation Unit - Ep 1 - Every rookie gets introduced to an off-the-books police department story ever. Didn't do anything for me.
Africa Salaryman
- Ep 1 - Bizzare animation style, and unfortunately, a lot of time given to just the worst character. That said, it did get laughs.
Val X Love
- Ep 1 - Did not read the genre tags for this, so very surprised. Not for me though.
Babylon
- Ep 1 - Only done the first episode so far, but am intrigued and gripped and want to see where it goes.
Didn't I Say to Make My Abilities Average in the Next Life?!
- Ep 1 - Cute enough, will give it a shot.
Kandagawa Jet Girls
- Ep 1 - Again, didn't read the tags for this. Better than Val as at least it isn't skirting around the nudity. Not my type of show though, so I'd have to be very bored to watch more.

Babylon ep1

A rather rote first episode, but it shows promise at the end. It's nice to see a show concerning and clearly aimed at adults for a change, but the problem facing a straightforward thriller, especially one like this with such an apparent lack of any visual flair, is that it's up against a lot of stiff competition from live-action TV. There was one shot early on that could conceivably have been a nod to Twin Peaks and, thus far, it sure ain't on that level.

Cautious Hero episode 1
Really good start! Toda Mai's character designs and supervision really stand out here and work well with the comedy.

After School Dice Club episode 1
This looks to be a fun school club series.

Hellraiser
Time for a good classic. Really like how the cenobites differ from the usual horror monsters in that they're merely there as a neutral force. Frank's rebirth is still such an iconic scene helped by an amazing soundtrack.

1. Evil Dead II
  2. Army of Darkness
  4. Tribetwelve (Fortunes, DEATHTRAPEXODUS, Crawlspace, Pitfall)
  5. Tribetwelve (SCRINIARII, Sisyphus, Rendezvous, Facade)
  8. Hellraiser
Hellraiser is a solid film though I think its sequel Hellbound is even better. Shame the rest of the sequels are a case of diminishing returns.

Yeah I haven't bothered with anything past the third one. They should've just left it at the first two.
Bloodlines has some good ideas but afaik there was a lot of changes made behind the scenes which resulted in a mess of a film. I actually liked Inferno but that’s basically a thriller with the cenobites tacked on to market it as a Hellraiser film. Not bothering with Judgement as they didn’t even ask Doug Bradley to come back apparently.

Claymore (Japanese & English audio) - Episodes 23-26 (Completed)

I decided to watch the last two episodes dubbed considering its anime original, but the dub is pretty good. Outside of the final four or so episodes, this show is surprisingly good. The story is pretty solid and the characters are likable, and it has been compared quite often to Berserk, though I see Claymore as a toned-down version with a female Guts-like protagonist. I knew there was a lot of hate for Raki but he's not in the show that much when you look back at it and I didn't find him to be annoying compared to other characters from other franchises.

YU-NO (dub) (eps 7-9)
Episode 7 is a re-watch as it was the start of an arc. I also switched to the dub in the hope of understanding stuff a bit more as reading subs, especially on complicated shows, isn't always the best option for me.
It's a bit weird as some of the cast sound too old, but whatever.

After School Dice Club episode 2 Card game time.

Ahiru no Sora episode 2 Wonder how many episodes it’ll take for the others to take the sport seriously?

Ascendance of a Bookworm episode 2 Blood and books.

Blade of the Immortal (2019) episodes 1-2 I’m already liking this more than the previous adaptation, the visual style is great.

Radiant 2nd Season episode 2 Deals in the rain.

House IV: The Repossession (Film)

Love Lab!
episodes 3-13 (Complete. A lively series of student council shenanigans with a cast that gelled together well.) 3.5/5

Last edited:
Ergo Proxy ep1-3

Tried watching this some years ago, but never quite got into it - having been sold it as a cyberpunk series, I found its curious, goth-like aesthetic kind of offputting. Coming back to it now, I think it's easier to appreciate, but it is a very brown show, with everything rendered in sepia tones, save for occasional highlights like Re-l's blue eye makeup. If nothing else, I did like the little nod to Battleship Potemkin with the lost pram tumbling down the steps.

Ergo Proxy ep1-3

Tried watching this some years ago, but never quite got into it - having been sold it as a cyberpunk series, I found its curious, goth-like aesthetic kind of offputting. Coming back to it now, I think it's easier to appreciate, but it is a very brown show, with everything rendered in sepia tones, save for occasional highlights like Re-l's blue eye makeup. If nothing else, I did like the little nod to Battleship Potemkin with the lost pram tumbling down the steps.
Don't speak to me or my robot child ever again.

I was sold Ergo Proxy on not much more than the strength of the old DVD covers, but I found it quite compelling. I'm not sure there's been a lot else like it before or since, it almost has the feel of an ancient epic to it, a journey both literally and philosophically.

Fate/Grand Order: Absolute Demonic Front-Babylonia- episode 1
Thanks based CloverWorks. Really good start with plenty of sakuga moments. Looking forward to seeing Medusa Lily and Merlin next episode.

Hellbound: Hellraiser II
A worthy sequel that continues what made the first so good with some interesting world design reminiscent of Lovecraftian horror. Won't bother with the third film and will instead focus on the final few episodes of EverymanHYBRID.

1. Evil Dead II
  2. Army of Darkness
  4. TribeTwelve (Fortunes, DEATHTRAPEXODUS, Crawlspace, Pitfall)
  5. TribeTwelve (SCRINIARII, Sisyphus, Rendezvous, Facade)
  8. Hellraiser
  9. Hellbound: Hellraiser II

Don't speak to me or my robot child ever again.

I know. I’ll see myself out.

In hindsight, I really don’t know why it didn’t click with me at the time. I think it was probably not long after I’d finished the Stand Alone Complex and was unwilling to accept anything other than a police procedural that looked like a William Gibson novel.

Back