Your viewing journal

Franxxly My Dear ep17 (English Dub)

I do kind of want to quit this now, but I'll give it the benefit of the doubt for a little longer, especially since the end is in sight. If nothing else, I'm morbidly curious to see exactly how bad the endgame is going to be.

SSSS Gridman ep5

A couple of neat gags in this one (and that payphone looks awfully familiar), but I do feel like the show is spinning its wheels a little bit right now.

Magical Sempai ep 5
The jokes diversify a little away from being rubbish at magic, but are still mostly ecchi in nature.

Are You Lost? ep 5
Barbecues solve everything.

To the Abandoned Sacred Beasts ep 5
Cain returns hinting at maybe something bigger than a MOTW plot.

So I've signed up to Funimation using the code mangalove, so I can catch up:

Cop Craft eps 3 & 4
The end of one case and the start of another.

Kochoki eps 2-4
Marriage, fathers death and first threat faced as Lord. Seems like they took the legends about Nobunaga's wife being a spy and good at martial arts to the nth degree and turned her into a ninja who looks a little older than she was (although her birth year is unknown), as opposed to a 14 year old nymphomaniac! like a certain show from last season.
Seems the reason I couldn't watch ep 2 last week was because it had set itself to the English dub which I didn't spot.

Bem eps 2 & 3
Bela and Belo get involved in their own cases after Bem had his in episode 1.

Hensuki eps 3 & 4
I guessed the latest perversion, but we're still no closer to finding out the Cinderella. From the OP there are more candidates to be introduced.
This show still isn't working on Funimation, even though I've signed up! ⛵

It's been a while since I updated here

Darling in the Franxx ep1-24
Really enjoyed it.

I want to eat your Pancreas
Also really enjoyed it. Didnt really know what it was gona be about but it's a bittersweet story that tends more to the sweet.

Hellsing Ultimate 1 and 2
Really enjoyed the start of this. Some of the comedic moments seem out of place in this show but the action and characters are so good (and evil)

Darling in the Franxx ep1-24
Really enjoyed it.
I just finished rewatching it the other day and really enjoyed it too. Even the twist with VIRM felt completely different to me the second time around. And there were a couple of details in the final episode that I missed the first time around that I felt brought everything together in a much more satisfying way.

Also...
The Strelizia Apus's final form is perhaps inspired by this design I only recently learnt about that's seen in an Evangelion light novel series called Evangelion Anima, where Asuka becomes physically fused with her Unit-02:
It kinda ties nicely back in to the Eva mythology that FRANXX enjoyed paying tribute to so much.
So, I'll be darned: I hereby withdraw my biggest criticisms of the series. 👍

Very pleased with that. 🙂

I want to eat your Pancreas
Also really enjoyed it. Didnt really know what it was gona be about but it's a bittersweet story that tends more to the sweet.
It's an outstanding film, isn't it? To me, it's what anime is still capable of being when it abandons the otaku-pleasing box ticking.

I just finished rewatching it the other day and really enjoyed it too. Even the twist with VIRM felt completely different to me the second time around. And there were a couple of details in the final episode that I missed the first time around that I felt brought everything together in a much more satisfying way.
It was my first time watching Franxx. Given some of the comments I've seen I wasnt sure but I really liked it. I put more detailed thoughts in the old Franxx thread. Dunno if you saw:

It's an outstanding film, isn't it? To me, it's what anime is still capable of being when it abandons the otaku-pleasing box ticking.
Yeah definitely. It was a really unique story that was really heartfelt and the characters were all different and interesting even those who where more cameos. And some of the animation was amazing too.

Right time to start clearing my Funimation queue whilst subscribed:

Nichijou - My Ordinary Life eps 1-3 (sub)
Talk about salmon random. Not everything lands, but quite amusing so far.
Tried the dub, mainly because (in yet another new problem with Funimation) the subtitles didn't load!, but they sound a bit too old.

Back to the current season:

Astra Lost in Space eps 4 & 5
Character development for the "quiet one" and beach episode! A possible new subplot is introduced in ep 5 as we see the parents acting shady, talk of Genome Management and the kids discussing how the planets animals reproduce by cloning! And yet another big cliffhanger.

Dumbbells eps 4 & 5
Training away from the gym and sports day.

Back to the queue:

Drifters eps 1-3 (dub)
A mash up of Hellsing and Fate. As soon as I saw the the character design it brought to mind Hellsing and sure enough it's from the same mangaka.
A little confusing as to whether the bad guys who were spouting Nazi-like ideals whilst killing the elves are part of the same army in ep 3 that was taking the fortress or the ones defending it?

Over the past few days watched these:

Dr Stone episode 2

How Heavy are the Dumbbells you lift? episode 2

Kono Oto Tomare!
episode 13 (Complete)

Mix
episode 14

The Ones Within episodes 2-4

Astra Lost in Space episode 5 In space, no one can see your beach segment.

Demon Lord, Retry! episode 5 Hop.

How Heavy are the Dumbbells you Lift? episode 5 Sauna struggles.

Hanayamata episodes 2-6

Attack on Titan Season 3 Part 1 [Rewatch] episodes 1-8 - So yeah seeing as I got the BD pretty early I guess I'm rewatching it.

Are You Lost? episode 5

One Punch Man Season 2 episode 8 - Heard good things about this episode as it featured a few animators from Studio LAN. Animation is actually pretty decent all things considered.

Hugtto! PreCure episodes 13-14

Five Nights at FranXX ep18-19

This was an improvement over the previous couple of episodes, but the show isn't so much sipping from the glass of Evangelion as much as it's sticking its entire head down the well at this point. Also I accidentally spoiled myself on the ending when I noticed the preview for the discussion thread. I suppose at least I'm prepared now.

Hellsing Ultimate ep3-5

Man this show is nuts! Brilliant and fully committed to the crazy. The animation is top notch and the story is just off the wall. Oddly the villain on the aircraft carrier made me think if One Piece villains with the way they're designed.

Astra Lost in Space (Japanese audio) - Episodes 4-5

On-Going Simulcasts from Spring 2019 Season - 3 titles:
Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba - 17 of 26 up-to-date
Fruits Basket 1st Season - 16 of 25
YU-NO: A Girl Who Chants Love at the Bound of This World - 17 of 26 up-to-date

Summer 2019 Season - 15 titles:
Arifureta: From Commonplace to World's Strongest - 4 of 13 up-to-date
Astra Lost in Space - 5 of 12 up-to-date
Cop Craft - 1 of 12
Demon Lord, Retry? - 3 of 12
Do You Love Your Mom and Her Two-Hit Multi-Target Attacks? - 3 of 12 up-to-date
Dr. STONE - 4 of 24 up-to-date
Given - 3 of 11
Hensuki: Are you willing to fall in love with a pervert, as long as she's a cutie? - 1 of 12
How Heavy Are the Dumbbells You Lift? - 4 of 12
If It’s for My Daughter, I’d Even Defeat a Demon Lord - 4 of 12
Is It Wrong to Try to Pick Up Girls in a Dungeon? II - 2 of 12
Isekai Cheat Magician - 2 of 12
Saint Seiya: Knights of the Zodiac - 6 of 12 up-to-date (Part 2 scheduled for later)
To the Abandoned Sacred Beasts - 4 of 12
VINLAND SAGA - 4 of 24 up-to-date

O Maidens in Your Savage Season ep 4
I can't remember if I posted that I'd watched the previous 3. Oh well. This show is always nice and varied and pretty realistic in a lot of it's portrayals, which isn't a huge surprise based on what I've heard of the source material. Still cool.

Astra Lost in Space ep 4-5
It's the little details and consistencies that make this show, like Kanata falling into the quicksand-bit the second time round. Also deep characters and good interactions.

Nichijou ep 4-6
Just totally SUPLEX! random.

If It's for My Daughter ep 5
Kawaii overload, part 5.
PS_Messages_20190801_185906.jpg

Drifters eps 4-6
OK, that made it a bit clearer. The ones who subjugated the elves are a different force to the other 2 and sure enough their leader is, or was, Hitler who apparently died.
Unless this is your bag!
Screenshot_20190801-202057.png

Given ep 4
More practice and buying equipment.

Given episode 4 Pretty chilled episode.

If It’s for My Daughter, I’d Even Defeat a Demon Lord episode 5 Based and Mr. Jil-led.

The Demon Girl Next Door episode 4 I’m enjoying this series, though I suspect it’ll slip under the radar.

Hanayamata episodes 7-12 (Complete. A rather lively SoL that incorporates some similar tropes and drama with some warming setpieces and a nice sense of bonding between the cast. It wasn’t exactly a standout series but certainly worth my investment and it has some lovely visuals with the yosakoi dancing.) 3.5/5

Back