Your viewing journal

Girly Air Force episode 6 Thems fighting words.

The Promised Neverland episode 6 An unwelcome eavesdropper.

Kämpfer episodes 1-12 and OVAs 1-2 (Complete. A series so ridiculous it just about works. The whole “moderators” business was all a bit vague though, plus the mind control near the end...sigh. It seems this was popular enough for an upcoming dub release.) 3.5/5

Last edited:
Another Manga Force Collection title:
Afro Samurai
A pretty slick action show with a very basic plot. The sidekick bloke was annoying, it was like "we want Sam Jackson to be in an anime, but we also want the MC to be moody and mysterious so he doesn't say much. I know let's invent a sidekick that talks constantly"! The world was a bit weird as well, pretty much all of it was Medieval Japan (living conditions and farming, and most of the combat), except there were mobile phones and cyborgs!
Action was slick, although I sometimes found it hard to figure out what was going on.
7/10

DSC_1832.JPG

Guide to the whether it's a 1st time watch or re-watch: (r) = Re-watch; (x) = First time; (w) = Watched in the last year; (?) = Honestly can't remember!; (na) = Not anime.

Afro Samurai Directors Cut (r)
Afro Samurai Resurrection (?)
Akira (w) Don't own the MFC version
Appleseed (r)
Armageddon (x)
Astroboy: Greatest Astro Adventures (x)
Baldr Force Exe (x)
Blood: The Last Vampire (r)
Black Blood Brothers (x)
Black Jack (x)
Bubblegum Crash (x)
Casshan: Robot Hunter (x)
Danté's Inferno (na)
Dead Leaves (x)
Dead Space: Downfall (na)
Ghost in the Shell (w)
GitS: Innocence (w)
GitS SAC: Laughing Man (x)
GitS SAC: Individual Eleven (x)
GitS SAC: Solid State Society (r)
Golgo 13: The Professional (r)
Heat Guy J (r)
Hellsing Ultimate Vols 1-4 (x)
Highlander: The Search for Vengeance (r)
Ichi (na)
Jyu-Oh-Sei (x)
Kai Doh Maru (r)
Karas: The Prophecy/Revelation (x)
Lupin the III: The Secret of Mamo (x)
Macross Plus (r)
Macross Plus the Movie (x)
Millennium Actress (r)
Naruto the Movie: 1 & 2 (x)
Negima!? Spring & Summer OVAs (x)
Neon Genesis Evangelion Death & Rebirth (r)
NGE End of Evangelion (r)
Ninja Scroll (r)
Noein: To Your Other Self (x)
Orguss 2 (x)
Origin: Spirits of the Past (r)
Otogi Zoshi (r)
Perfect Blue (w)
Psychic Wars (x)
Read or Die (r)
She: The Ultimate Weapon (r)
Shigurui: Death Frenzy (x)
Space Adventure Cobra (x)
Strait Jacket (x)
Street Fighter: Alpha (x)
Street Fighter: Alpha Generations (x)
Street Fighter: II (x)
Submarine 707 Revolution (x)
Sword for Truth (x)
Tactics (x)
Tokko (r)
Tokyo Underground (r)
Urotsukidōji: Legend of the Overfiend (r)
Urotsukidōji: Legend of the Demon Womb (r)
Vampire Wars (x)
Virus: Virus Buster Serge (x)
X (x)

School-Live eps 1-6
I knew the twist, but not how they pulled it off. And it was quite impressive, but boy is that the biggest case of denial ever! Thinking back on the first episode there are plenty of little hints thrown in for the observant.
Episode 6 does it again with the Megu-nee reveal. I did think it was odd that she was in the car when we only saw Yuki and Yuuri waiting to be picked up beforehand.
Kurumi is great (I started looking to see if there was a decent figure of her straight after the first episode), but Yuki is starting to grate a little.

A Certain Magical Index III (English Dub) Episode 16

The Quintessential Quintuplets (English Dub) Episode 3

Dimension High School Episode 6
Where the writers even trying with this weeks questions? Because I really don't think they could even be bothered trying to come up with something more challenging.

Girly Air Force Episode 6
Well that could've ended a lot more worse that it did. Ever since her introduction, I haven't been impressed with Phantoms attitude at all. The way she acts all high & mighty, not to mention how she treats her fellow anima and talks down other people is only asking for trouble or worse. I really like how Kei tried to talk some sence into Phantom to get her to realize the error of her ways and to try to make her understand that the best way of defeating the enemy is by putting aside their differences and working together, and that it is wrong for a portion of humanity to be sacrificed to save the rest.

Kakegurui×× Episode 6
That sure was an unusual game of chicken.

The Promised Neverland Episode 6
Another nerve wracking and tense outing this week. Planning the next move, A hidden message in plain sight and a secret room with surprising contents.

The Quintessential Quintuplets Episode 6
Yep... I know that feeling, getting kids to study for upcoming tests is a challenge, especially when their easily distracted.

Super Dimension Fortress Macross episodes 1-4 - Restarting this series since it's been months since I last watched it. I'll try to be more consistent.

BanG Dream Season 2 episode 7 - RAISE A SUILEN HYPE

The Promised Neverland episode 6

The Quintessential Quintuplets episode 6

Mobile Police Patlabor - Episodes 4 - 8 (Blu-ray)

This run of episodes is just so good, The Griffin arc finally came to a dramatic close in episode 7 but episode 5 was great demonstration of how to write and create drama and tension on screen and episode 6 had me laughing out loud throughout.

Daltanious: Robot of the Future - Episodes 37 - 40

Girly Air Force episode 6
The Quintessential Quintuplets episode 6
The Promised Neverland episode 6
I think my main problem with this one is that I don't really care about the characters at all. If something bad happened to one of them it wouldn't bother me. The two other anime I watched last night aren't very thought provoking but I like the characters. Still on the verge of dropping this one :confused:

Time to milk that Amazon Prime trial - After the Rain, Episodes 1-3

Untitled-1.jpg

I could do with less negative ions on the screen (or possibly ghost orbs of dead Barbie dolls) and slow pans across Akira's face, but those visual nitpicks aside this is quite beautiful to look at. Story and character wise I'm certainly not seeing any merit in the moralistic tutting over this show, it's handling everything very well I think. Goto Kondo is fully aware of the potential issues any relationship might cause and lets Akira know that too, but then he's also human, and flattered. And they don't come across as very different people at all despite the age difference - Akira is obviously a lot more grown up than a lot of her school friends and Kondo clearly doesn't feel his age, and they're both quite shy and easily flustered. I'm rooting for them, anyway.

Girly Air Force ep 6
I enjoyed this episode. It explained Phantom without making her too sympathetic.
Still wish Eagle would shut up, though :p

A Certain Magical Index ep 18 (wait, I'm a week behind on this aren't I?)
Geez, how much are they going to try to cram into each ep? This felt ridiculous. So many barely-connected scenes. Ah well, it's still conveying the overall story I guess. I'll just wait for the light novels for the full details... Also, the new OP and ED aren't as good.
Screen Shot 02-15-19 at 08.08 PM.PNG

Jojo's Bizarre Adventure: Golden Wind ep 19
That was... ehh, not my favourite fight so far. White Album felt overpowered and kinda like they only managed to survive thanks to plot armour.

The Quintessential Quintuplets ep 6
Kinda funny watching this after I read the source material for it literally yesterday. Proved to me that they're doing a good job of adapting it. Also I kinda missed it when catching up, but I really like that ED...
Screen Shot 02-15-19 at 08.41 PM.PNG

More Manga Force Collection stuff:
Afro Samurai Resurrection
Literally more of the same, but this time with a silly plot to enable said more of the same.
6/10

DSC_1831.JPG

Guide to the whether it's a 1st time watch or re-watch: (r) = Re-watch; (x) = First time; (w) = Watched in the last year; (na) = Not anime.

Afro Samurai Directors Cut (r)
Afro Samurai Resurrection (x)
Akira (w) Don't own the MFC version
Appleseed (r)
Armageddon (x)
Astroboy: Greatest Astro Adventures (x)
Baldr Force Exe (x)
Blood: The Last Vampire (r)
Black Blood Brothers (x)
Black Jack (x)
Bubblegum Crash (x)
Casshan: Robot Hunter (x)
Danté's Inferno (na)
Dead Leaves (x)
Dead Space: Downfall (na)
Ghost in the Shell (w)
GitS: Innocence (w)
GitS SAC: Laughing Man (x)
GitS SAC: Individual Eleven (x)
GitS SAC: Solid State Society (r)
Golgo 13: The Professional (r)
Heat Guy J (r)
Hellsing Ultimate Vols 1-4 (x)
Highlander: The Search for Vengeance (r)
Ichi (na)
Jyu-Oh-Sei (x)
Kai Doh Maru (r)
Karas: The Prophecy/Revelation (x)
Lupin the III: The Secret of Mamo (x)
Macross Plus (r)
Macross Plus the Movie (x)
Millennium Actress (r)
Naruto the Movie: 1 & 2 (x)
Negima!? Spring & Summer OVAs (x)
Neon Genesis Evangelion Death & Rebirth (r)
NGE End of Evangelion (r)
Ninja Scroll (r)
Noein: To Your Other Self (x)
Orguss 2 (x)
Origin: Spirits of the Past (r)
Otogi Zoshi (r)
Perfect Blue (w)
Psychic Wars (x)
Read or Die (r)
She: The Ultimate Weapon (r)
Shigurui: Death Frenzy (x)
Space Adventure Cobra (x)
Strait Jacket (x)
Street Fighter: Alpha (x)
Street Fighter: Alpha Generations (x)
Street Fighter: II (x)
Submarine 707 Revolution (x)
Sword for Truth (x)
Tactics (x)
Tokko (r)
Tokyo Underground (r)
Urotsukidōji: Legend of the Overfiend (r)
Urotsukidōji: Legend of the Demon Womb (r)
Vampire Wars (x)
Virus: Virus Buster Serge (x)
X (x)

School-Live eps 7-12 (complete)
After setting up the world nicely in the first half, the second half of the series is a bit all over the place in tone and doesn't really utilise its premise to the full potential. There were some unanswered plot points as well, but a post credit scene hints at more although it's been nearly 4 years since this aired.
6/10

A Certain Magical Index III episode 19 A certain scientific nailgun...

Boogiepop and Others episode 8 Pretty cool fight this week.

Date A Live III episode 6 Muh betrayal, muh confrontation.

JoJo’s Bizarre Adventure Part 5: Golden Wind episode 19 Bullets meet ice whilst waking up feeling so horny.

Key the Metal Idol episodes 1-12

Date A Live III (English Dub) Episode 4

Magical Girl Spec-Ops Asuka (English Dub) Episode 4

The Rising of the Shield Hero (English Dub) Episode 1—6

A Certain Magical Index III Episode 19
She sure did live up to her name as "Misaka Worst" To get defeated so easily despite her futile resistance and trash talk..... how embarrassing. Picking a fight with Accelerator upon your release from containment definitely wasn't the smartest move.

Boogiepop and Others Episode 8
Quite literally a one woman fighting machine.

Circlet Princess Episode 5
Fighting talk! Some Miyuki back story, more training and the Tournament begins.

Date A Live III Episode 6
This is my betrayal and this is also my confrontational fight.

Domestic Girlfriend Episode 6
Choosing a club and a sudden invitation.

Magical Girl Spec-Ops Asuka Episode 6
Festival fun Time.

The Price of Smiles Episode 7

Planet With ep1-6

I remember enjoying Planet With while it was airing, but I think it was on at a time I was watching a lot of other things and it got a bit lost in the crush - time to rectify that! It’s very whimsical for a mecha show, something I rather appreciate.

Mob Psycho 100 II Ep6

Recently heard someone use the expression ‘Garbage Husband’ to describe Kaiji, pretty sure that’s also an accurate summary of Reigen.

Megazone 23 III Part One (1989)

Hmm. On the strength of this first half, this instalment seems like the least of the Megazone franchise to date. It’s still watchable, and Eden city is well realised, but very little seems to happen until the last ten minutes, at which point I just felt a bit confused. May need to rewatch the original before finishing this.

After the Rain, episodes 4-6
Untitled-2.jpg
Untitled-3.jpg
Untitled-4.jpg
Don't break my heart like this, Kondo. Or my spirit.

A really solid set of episodes here. The comedy value's been upped a bit, but not at the expense of the drama and it all works well without the two aspects jarring. Aside from the romantic aspect of people growing together, the show has a lot to say about growing up, growing older and growing apart as well. Kondo's wistfullness over his own youth and Haruka's fear over Akira growing up faster and leaving her behind are essentially the same, a feeling of powerlessness to prevent the inexorable march of time, its effect on you and others and also people's perceptions of each other.

It's the perceptions part of this which particularly makes me root for Kondo and Akira - They have to worry about this when really, there's no good reason for them to other than the judgement of others. Our time here is brief, and as time itself slowly but surely continues on its way to obliterating absolutely everything, who is anyone to deny anyone else happiness wherever (and with whoever) they find it?

Also featuring a cameo appearance from Miu Matsuoka's evil good twin. The other girl looks strangely familiar too...
Untitled-1.jpg

The Promised Neverland, episode 5
Streaming discussion seems to have ground to a complete halt so I'll put this here. So Ray is a genuine psychopath and more than Norman's equal, that's a more satisfying turn than I was hoping for. But other than that and Don being an idiot, there didn't seem a whole lot of content to this episode. I've just watched it, yet I can't actually remember anything else happening. Exposition is all well and good but geez, next episode I think I'd actually like something to happen other than conversations.

Last edited:
Back