Your viewing journal

Amanchu Episodes 1-4

海が好き!! Lovely. I've seen enough, Blu-ray CE immediately ordered. Getting some real Yokohama Kaidashi Kikō vibes here, it was often mentioned alongside Aria as Amano and Ashinano are masters of a similar kind of gentle slice-of-life, but the similarities are a bit too apparent here for me to believe they were entirely coincidental. We've got the sleepy coastal setting, the motor scooter riding protagonist, the subtle yuri tones, the wise old lady mentor and even a GONTITI soundtrack like the first YKK OVAs. I'm not complaining. We're not likely to get any more animated adaptations of YKK (and even less likely to get any that do it justice). Amanchu is different enough with its focus on diving and school life, but similar enough in its gentle and thoughtful celebration of the simple joys of life, friendship and the natural world that I know it's going to be right up my alley.

My only real issue has been a couple of things with the subtitles - In a couple of places the translations didn't sound very natural, and when Pikari makes her weird noises the subtitles translate it as "whoop whoop" - For goodness sake. Is there any need for subs there at all? Also I noticed a bit of incidental dialogue from some students telling a joke in the background included the phrase "My sides". Really?

Recent viewing...

Food Wars eps 20–24 (complete)
I very much enjoyed this series. As ever, it was the characters that made it for me; Soma is an easy guy to root for. I'll be looking to get series two at some point.

Gankutsuou eps 1–24 (complete)
A really standout series. The last couple of episodes just prevented this getting the full 10/10 from me on MAL — the last episode's refusal to show the thing that would've successfully brought everything to a satisfying close being one thing I was a bit disappointed at — but I thoroughly enjoyed this. An absolute bargain from AL's Xmas sales.

Kiznaiver eps 5–12 (complete)
Urgh.

"Feeling someone else's pain as if it were your own... You proved that it's possible, even without the Kizna system."

No ****, Sherlock. :rolleyes:
Did it really take Mari Okada 11 whole episodes of script writing just to figure that out?

Why spend just a modest handful of scenes mulling something over when you can... drag... it... out... into... an... entire... series. I need a lie down after that.

Lupin III: The Secret of Mamo
I only bought this film on a whim, but I enjoyed it; it's a fun caper. A reminder of classic all hand-drawn animation.

SSSS. Gridman episodes 1+2
Early on, this has got a lot going for it for me. What an absolutely cracking first episode. I'm excited about this series.

Re: Genius Party
@HWR, @ActionFaust:
FWIW, I once ranked the Genius Party and Beyond shorts in this post. I think my opinions are perhaps closer to HWR's. Although, looking back at it now, I'd probably be inclined to shunt Limit Cycle up to either number four or five.

My Viewing schedule for the week of 14th January - 20th January 2019

Week 5 of my official uk anime release marathon.

20190121_153223.jpg

Naruto Episodes 27-52
A much better set of episodes.
The Annoying part of series 1 is still there with the final few minutes of the previous episode being the starting few minutes of the new episode sticking around a bit but starts to fade away here.
The Chuunin Exams introduce a lot of new interesting characters the stand outs obviously being Orochimaru, Gaara, Neji and Lee.
The psychological battles in the forrest are good and the Ninja tactics are very effective and interesting (shame it wont stay that way in the future).
This is where Naruto hit it's stride and you could see how good a series it had the potential to be.

Dororo episode 3 A strong backstory this week.

Mob Psycho 100 II episode 3 Some spectral photography.

Gintama. episodes 317-328 A very decent and more serious arc. Plenty of good action and setpieces. There is a bit of irony to be found though in seeing the series feel a bit more like the shounen-y series’ it often takes the p*ss out of. It was still a good watch though.

My Girlfriend is Shobitch (English Dub) Episode 1—4
Pretty funny stuff, Those sexual jokes are legit 🔥.

That Time I Got Reincarnated as a Slime (English Dub) Episode 13

Dororo Episode 3
Trying to make up for your past misdeeds and Some backstory into Hyakkimaru.

Pastel Memories Episode 3

That Time I Got Reincarnated as a Slime Episode 16
Another solid episode. More naming for the umpteenth time and an unexpected guest.

Virtual-san Looking Episode 2
Despite being trash, it's still entertaining for all the wrong reasons.

Kemono Friends s2 e2
Panda-chan is adorable and so is Panda-chan.

Mob Psycho 100 s2 e3
Raised a chuckle. Seemed to be more about delving into Mobs psyche than anything else.

Dororo ep 3
Backstory of the doctor who helped Hyakkimaru from a bundle of muscle with a torso and head to what he is now.

Ace Attorney 2nd Season (Dub) episode 36 A pretty decent end to the arc, was pretty inventive.

Black Clover episode 67 Tearful yet happy reunions.

Run with the Wind episode 14 Akane sure puts in the effort despite his struggles.

Gintama.: Slip Arc episodes 329-341 A set of stories that take place before the events of the previous series, basically it feels more like the classic Gintama than the more recent and more serious iteration.

Sound! Euphonium 2 episodes 1-4 - They really managed to make something better than season 1 in just 4 episodes. That hit me in the feels harder than I expected and damn I really want to see these two characters again in Liz and the Blue Bird.

Saekano: How to Raise a Boring Girlfriend episodes 5-6

Fairy Tail (English Dub) Episode 289

My Girlfriend is Shobitch (English Dub) Episode 5—8
Full steam ahead with the crude jokes. Absolutely Hilarious. 😂😂😂

3D Kanojo: Real Girl 2nd Season Episode 3 [15]
Well that certainly took an unexpected turn.

Eromanga Sensei OVA Episode 2 (Complete)

WATATEN!: An Angel Flew Down to Me Episode 3
Some board gaming and some family bonding.

Run With The Wind episode 14
This is dragging now.

Edoka-chan episode 3
I like this, but I only bother with the anime at the beginning and not the waffle afterwards.

I give the series a 9 and the film a 5, but I should probably lower it a bit. It's less that its a bad film, and more that it just shouldn't exist. I'm sure someone else on here can explain better.

Back