Your viewing journal

Conception: Please Give Birth to My Child! (English Dub) Episode 10

Radiant (English Dub) Episode 10

SSSS.Gridman (English Dub) Episode 12 (Complete)

Katana Maidens: Mini Toji Episode 0

Radiant Episode 14
Yep... I knew it, some of the inquisition really don't give a sh*t about anyone else except for themselves.

Sword Art Online Alicization Episode 13
Some more interesting details surrounding Quinella the administrator.

W'z Episode 1
Three eps rule for this one.

No Game No Life Zero
Started out looking like it was going to be a fairly gritty story about how the world of the series came about then, boom, naked loli. At least this one was a robot, although she then started to talk exactly like Shiro (same VA, as was the male MC's the same as Sora. I thought this would lead into some sort of reincarnation thing, but that wasn't confirmed outright). Then "let's get married", wut!
The tactics to move the fighting away from the humans and then force the end of the world and the fights/battles after all that were pretty cool (although they used one battle to turn Jibril into a loli!)
The art and animation were very good, you could tell there was a bigger budget than the show.
7/10

Last edited:
What the ** is with the anime I've watched this weekend

Sword Art Online S3 E10 - I don't need to say anything
Gunslinger Girl S2 episode 10 that was the episode of Triela being saved from the traffickers and ~~~~ film makers

Jeez... 4 Episodes this weekend as I've been busy and two have been them...

Boruto: Naruto Next Generations episode 88 “Mr Inojin, I don’t feel so good.”

How Clumsy you are, Miss Ueno episode 1 I’ll give this a three episode run. It was pretty funny but I could see it overstaying its welcome.

Tsurune episode 11 I liked how they dealt with the drama this week, it felt natural and seeing the characters talk to each other about their issues and towards the end it furthered the bond between Masaki and his pupils. The ending though...

Coyote Ragtime Show episodes 7-12 (Complete. A fun space adventure with plenty of action and some quirky characters.) 3.5/5

Dagashi Kashi 2 episodes 13-24 (Complete. Pretty consistent to the first season, providing plenty of confectionary-related trivia. Taking Hotaru out of the picture for a while allowed the other characters to get some of the limelight which was nice. I actually liked this season more because of this.) 3.5/5

Daimidaler episodes 1-12 (Complete. Unashamedly perverse and ridiculous, but also pretty entertaining. If you have a tolerance for consistent fanservice and sexually charged humour then you’ll get a kick out of the lewd self-awareness that oozes throughout this series. I thought it was ridiculous fun, though can understand why someone would drop it.) 3.5/5

Megalo Box (English Dub) Episode 3
Prepping and more training.

Zombie Land Saga (English Dub) Episode 11

Fairy Tail Episode 290
Backstory over, the power of friendship will always come out on top.

How Clumsy you are, Miss Ueno Episode 1
That's one way to convey convey your feelings to a guy I guess, but even still, GROSS. I like how calm and unfazed Tanaka is putting up with Ueno's shenanigans. Pretty funny though.

Tsurune: Kazemai High School Archery Club Episode 11
More drama that is dealt with pretty well between everyone through natural communication. That cliffhanger ending tho...

Revue Starlight ep 10-12 [END]

Not the best ending ever, ep 11 was probably the worse on the whole show. But still really liked it, I want to own this in the future. 7/10

My Viewing schedule for the week of 31st December 2018 - 6th January 2019

Week 3 of my official uk anime release marathon.

3. 2018.12.31.jpg

Kai Doh Maru is bad, it's really, really bad lol. First of all i have no idea what the hell the plot was supposed to be, it's just a collection of events with no real narrative to tie it all together, what happened to the evil uncle? Why wasn't this a revenge story? There was just nothing to get interested in. The action scenes are this ova's only saving grace as they're very well done.
Second and this will be a matter of personal preferance is that I hated the animation style, I know they're going for that tradional japanese art style but watching everything with a white filter over it was very distracting and made everything seem foggy, then there's the 3D CGI which does not combine well with the art style at all, it's completey jarring and out of place and watching the traditional animated characters talking while surrounded by CGI backgrouns was extremely off putting.
This is by far the worst of the anime I've watched over the last 3 weeks, this isn't worth anyone's time.

Psychic Wars is similar to what I said about Bio Hunter last week only this time its a really poor effort with this OVA. It's far too short for the story it wants to tell, everything is rushed, the animation is poor and they use the same plot twist twice lol so that was pretty bad. This little ova is a bland uninteresting mess which is ashame as I think there was a good story in there but alas it was not too be. Skip this one.

Slayers Excellent is overall a good little OVA, the first episode especially is a must watch for any fan of the series. The first meeting between Lina and Naga is brilliant and seeing Naga fumbling around due to her inexperinece is hilarious plus the bad guy and its resolution is pretty good.
The second episode is ok although the spoiled rich girl can get annoying pretty quick, its another anticlimax finish though although it is nice seeing Naga resolve the issue for a change lol.
The Third episode is probably the worst of the bunch about a pair of fueding fashion designers, this one was hard to get interested in and I found it pretty boring.

Vampire Wars was actually a lot better than i expected it to be lol. I liked the main character and the fact he gets stuff done, basically like an 80s action hero so that waspretty cool. The ending twists were a bit weird but i found this ova mildly entertaining. Nothing special but decent if you've got an hour to kill.

You're Under Arrest OVA is a pretty fun little series, First episode was good and the car chase was good, the relationship between the main girls was good too. Second episode was ok i would have rather had more focus on the speeding car causing havok than focusing on a pregnant cat so that was pretty disappointing. The third episode is a pretty funny little romance episode which is decent and the final episode is a good one, although i think the whole splitting apart thing was done way too soon and probably better saved for the tv series. Overall it's a fun little ova thats worth a watch.

You're Under Arrest Mini Specials, unlike the ova these aren't really long enough to get really invested in, the first few are a slog to get through with how many focus on perverted criminals, only the 3rd episode with the panty theif who breaks into the girls home is worth going back to, the later 10 episodes are much better and offer more variety like a grocery store robbery, a ghost tunnel, a demon robber, a rooftop suicide jumper and a great little episode with a purse snatcher. They're ok for the 5 minutes each episode runs but only worth it if you're a hardcore fan of the series.

You're Under Arrest the Movie is the best of the 3 UK releases. It has a serious plot with real consequences and plenty of moments to keep you interested. The assault on the station is pretty good as is the majority of the chase scenes, we even get a new variety with a boat chase and a pretty awesome scene involving a Helicopter. This is worth getting even if you're not a fan of the series as a whole as it work as a stand alone movie just fine.

Zeoraima Project Hades was an interesting little ova that was again too short to properly portray the whole story it wanted to tell, there was some interesting themes it wants to explore but simply doesnt have the time to really develop, most of the characters are uniniteresting since there's no time to get to know them and ultimately this is wasted potential.

You're Under Arrest OVA is a pretty fun little series, First episode was good and the car chase was good, the relationship between the main girls was good too. Second episode was ok i would have rather had more focus on the speeding car causing havok than focusing on a pregnant cat so that was pretty disappointing. The third episode is a pretty funny little romance episode which is decent and the final episode is a good one, although i think the whole splitting apart thing was done way too soon and probably better saved for the tv series. Overall it's a fun little ova thats worth a watch.
I have no idea whether it was even known that a full TV series would be in the offering for YUA when the OVAs were in production - I suspect not, so much like Patlabor (another series where OVAs came first, the TV series after) plots were reused and ground was retreaded in the TV version because the writers probably never expected to have dozens more episodes to play with - For all they knew the end of the OVAs was the end full stop. I do love the YUA OVAs, the production values are really nice especially with regards to attention to detail on Fujishima's great love, vehicles. Really deserves a Blu-ray at some point.

The Movie similarly looks gorgeous, but I do feel it suffers a little from one of YUA's worse tendencies - When they want to be dramatic and high-stakes, but can't allow things become too unpleasant (I think I actually threw my hands in the air when it was revealed the police were using paint-ball guns - I guess the idea of giving Yoriko a kill count was too much for them). Been a very long time since I watched the Mini Specials, but from what I recall you've got it about right - It's really nothing but fan service and I wouldn't subject it to serious criticism any more than I would Ten Little Gall Force. It's just a bit of daftness for the fans.

The OVAs and movies will always be peak Slayers for me, there's no beating the Lina/Naga dynamic. I'm fairly confident in saying Kai Doh Maru was little more than Production I.G. testing out experimental animation techniques, and I share your sentiments about its pointlessness.

Rising of The Shield Hero preview thing
The Familiar of Zero meets Log Horizon? Might be enjoyable but at two cours I have to wonder if they'll finish it off or drag it out for years. I don't know much about the source material.

Not off to a great start with this season :(

Price of Smiles ep1: By-the-numbers futuristic fantasy-esque antics in a world where everyone important seems to be a kid. But not in an interesting exploration sense, it's just because princesses and guards dressing like idols and dancers is a thing. It looks nice enough but I'm not seeing what this adds to the genre and can't find any reason to keep watching.

Rising of the Shield Hero preview: This actively rubbed me the wrong way. The lead wasn't even slightly likeable - which is kind of the point, except that the twist would have been considerably more interesting if he had started off as someone who was even slightly relatable in the first place. What a waste of a fun premise. The twist was also blatantly obvious in its execution and relied on every NPC (I'll call them what they were) behaving like illogical toddlers from start to finish. Just another also-ran videogame isekai disguised as something more. Fushigi Yuugi did everything about this better years ago despite being a different genre. Power to those with more tolerance for this stuff; the only enjoyment I got out of it was watching the lead's suffering ^^;

R

Preview of Rising of the Shield Hero.
Having also read a few of the LNs I can say they managed to adapt the material quite well thus far. Biggest problem is also that they managed to adapt the material quite well :p. It wouldn't have hurt if they took a bit more creative liberties to improve on the source material.
The whole twist has always been obvious and feels more as necessary set-up for the actual story then anything else. I'll probably continue watching it to see how far it adapts the material and play "spot the differences" (and to see some scenes animated), but unless they do something interesting with it, it will just be as average as you'd expect.

Katana Maidens ~ Mini Toji ep 0
Says it's a recap of the main series so we know what has happened, but only covers the first cour. So maybe this show will be set between the 2 cours, there was a little time skip IIRC.

How clumsy you are, Miss Ueno ep 1
I would say that it's similar to Takagi-san, but Ueno-san goes about it in the completely opposite way and is anything but subtle. Male MC is just as dense as to what is going on though.

Boggiepop and Others eps 1 & 2
I think I got everything so far, I'm guessing episode 2 is mostly flashback from 1 as Boggiepop says the monster (the manticore?) is gone and was dealt with by another person (Nagi?) at the end of the first episode. Only confusion is with the OP, if Touko is also Boggiepop why are they separated in the first scene? Parts of the rest of it shows Boggiepop turning up to save Touka from something/one (the mantacore?), but it's already been dealt with? unless that scene is the very last thing in the timeline of the show?

Tsurune ep 11
Lots of talking in this episode. I did like the bit near the end though, although I'm not sure about the bit right at the end. Seems to just chuck in something for extra drama when a tournament should be dramatic enough.

SAO: Alicization ep 13
Lots more talking. Oh look they have to get to floor 100, where have I heard that before?

Just finished gankutsuou and I have to say I'm quite disappointed, particularly by the ending, I really haven't seen anything properly adapted or the original, but the grapevine of pop culture gives me the impression it ended on a bit of a different tone - doesn't the original and closer adaptions have the count' s true, unfiltered revenge to end on?
Here it just seems like their still trying to build a relationship between Albert and the count, which for me doesn't work when the count has gotten as far as he has, it would have been more satisfying for the count to have his revenge, near the end he's the character that does the most and you really root for him

Dororo episode 1 The history behind the original manga and who’s working on the anime is just as interesting as this first episode was.

Mob Psycho 100 II episode 1 I’ve been looking forward to this, and it didn’t disappoint.

Danchigai episodes 1-12 (Complete. Some humorous shorts in a series I stumbled upon whilst browsing Crunchyroll. Nothing spectacular but the little three minute intervals about a guy dealing with living with four sisters were solid enough. Some of the humour did veer towards an uncomfortable territory though.) 3/5

Days episodes 1-18

Back