Your viewing journal

Black Clover episode 53 Oh great another snob with a stick up his rear. Rest of the episode was good though.

Jingai-San no Yome episode 2 Well we actually got an episode this week. Seems quirky so far.

Run with the Wind episode 2 “I’m not going to run with you” Well considering there’s 21 episodes left, yeah you probably will. Redundant cliche aside the other characters were pretty entertaining once again.

Tokyo Ghoul: re 2nd Season episode 1 Hoping that Rue Island isn’t condensed to just that one minute section. The rest of the episode had its moments, specifically dealing with Eto’s backstory. Sadly it rushed through pretty much all of Black Reaper Kaneki’s section of the manga. Not surprising when they’re trying to finish the remaining 121 episodes in just 12 episodes. I’m honestly watching to see what they do right as much as what they do wrong.

Note: there’s an entire list of content that was skipped in this Reddit post: Maybe they’re saving some of this for later and are moving events around? I’m not holding my breath.

31 Days of Halloween Day #9: Black Magic (1975, Ho Meng Hua) An early instance of Asian horror cinema, this entry from the Shaw Bros is a simple but intriguing film that feels less horror and more like a pseudo-thriller until the final act. It’s a solid watch overall, and a recommended pickup from the 88 Asia line. 3.5/5

Log Horizon 2nd Season episodes 1-9 That segment on the beach was great.

Tokyo Ghoul: re 2nd Season episode 1 Hoping that Rue Island isn’t condensed to just that one minute section. The rest of the episode had its moments, specifically dealing with Eto’s backstory. Sadly it rushed through pretty much all of Black Reaper Kaneki’s section of the manga. Not surprising when they’re trying to finish the remaining 121 episodes in just 12 episodes. I’m honestly watching to see what they do right as much as what they do wrong.

Note: there’s an entire list of content that was skipped in this Reddit post: Maybe they’re saving some of this for later and are moving events around? I’m not holding my breath.
Damn I knew it rushed through quite a lot but that gets a pretty big yikes from me. I'll stick around to see how it pans out but this series really needed 36 episodes or something. What is Pierrot even thinking?

Revue Starlight (English Dub) Episode 10

Battle Girl High School (Sub) Episode 1 - 4 (Blu-ray)
Pretty good so far.

Jingai-san no Yome (Sub) Episode 2
Finally we get a episode that made sense. Seriously tho what is that thing, it looks like something out of a Ghibli movie.

Tokyo Ghoul:re 2nd Season (Sub) Episode 1 [13] (Broadcast Version)
Ugh.... So much content skipped over, not to mention rushed to pieces. Why did this have to be adapted by Pierrot and no by say (eg. MADHOUSE), then again going by the studio's alias name (studio clown) they really know how to "Clown around" yes (pun intended), mess a very good manga series up. Well I'm gonna have to stick with it knowing its going to kill me inside. On a positive note it did have its moments

Laid-Back Camp (Re-Watch) episodes 4-8

Love Live! Sunshine!! Season 2 episodes 5-6

Anima Yell! episode 1 - This season's Manga Time Kirara adaptation

Skull-Face Bookseller Honda-San episode 1 - I can tell this one's gonna be a favourite

Golden Kamuy Season 2 episode 1 - Best boy Sugimoto is back

Tokyo Ghoul:re Season 2 episode 1 - Separate from the manga it works I guess but there's still so much lost with this episode speeding through 9 chapters. Even the Rushima montage at the start manages to casually spoil the fact that Amon is alive when that was such a big reveal in the manga. I'll stick with this since I can still appreciate seeing some of my favourite moments getting animated but damn will this be disappointing.

At least the OP and ED feature the return of TK and Osterreich featuring the singer from Cinema Staff. This series has always had some pretty great themes.

Space Battleship Tiramisu Zwei episode 2
Better than the first season so far.

Xuan Yuan Sword Luminary episode 2
I like the first episode of this but this one was terrible. It was a bit boring and seemed slightly off-topic after last week. Give it a chance, but if this was the first episode I wouldn't be watching a second.

That Time I Got Reincarnated as a Slime episode 2
Still feels a bit stupid how overpowered the main character is. I know that sort of seems the point, I just don't really like it. Amusing though so we'll see what happens.

Jingai-san no Yome episode 2
Well this was an improvement. Not sure why it has to be a short though - 4-panel manga adaptations work better fleshed out.

Run with the Wind episode 2
Enjoyable. I like this so far.

Tokyo Ghoul: re s2 e1
So I'm guessing this skips stuff! 😜
The timeline was all over the place with various flashbacks and stuff. Was the reveal and arrest taking place at the same time as the battle. Her speach about everyone focusing on one thing whilst something else happening seems to suggest that. And the bloke coming to rescue her was "doing his own thing" referenced in a chat with someone else on the island.
Didn't help I was mis-remembering stuff from the last episode! I was like when did Kenaki dye his hair? Then went back to skim through the last episode episode "oh, OK" 😄

Mitsuboshi Colors eps 10 & 11
More colourful fun. Funniest moment so far in ep 10 when Sat-chan tries to distract Saito 😂

Chio's School Road (English Dub) Episode 12 (Complete)
Really good final episode and a great series overall. I really liked how they added sound effects to the OP theme and those bloopers at the end where really funny. I also really liked the video game references. Best girl of the series IMO goes to Manana, because of how she has managed to keep her sanity and not ending up going insane putting up with Chio's antics. Hope this gets a second season. 8/10

Hanebado! (English Dub) Episode 11

Harukana Receive (English Dub) Episode 12 (Complete)

OVERLORD III (English Dub) Episode 11

Tada Never Falls in Love (English Dub) Episode 2

Between the Sky and Sea (Sub) Episode 2
A slight improvement from last week. Tho Haru's "think before you leap" attitude is starting to get annoying, and drags everyone into another "fishy" situation.

Conception: Please Give Birth to My Child! (Sub) Episode 1
Does exactly what it says in the title. The whole "give birth to my child to save the world" idea is insane, Looks like they pinched that concept from Twin Star Exorcists. An intriguing first episode tho.

My Sister, My Writer (Sub) Episode 1
Yeah..... this is very generic. Getting a lot of Eromanga Sensei vibes from this. A good first episode.

Rascal Does Not Dream of Bunny Girl Senpai (Sub) Episode 2
Another really good episode. The character interactions between the Mai and Sakuta is really intriguing. I really like how Sakuta is going out of way in order to help Mai and her situation. More greats moments throughout. That beach scene tho..., WTF.

Rascal does not dream of Bunny Girl Senpai episode 2 I’m digging the relationship between the leads so far. The banter feels very natural.

RErideD: Derrida who Leaps Through Time episode 6 First leaps can’t always be successful.

31 Days of Halloween Day #10: The Burning (1981, Tony Maylam) A film of firsts for a lot of actors, including Jason Alexander and Holly Hunter but also the first film that Miramax Films put out. This is considered to be one of the best slasher films in the genre and it’s certainly entertaining.

The cast have some funny moments before they become fodder for the main killer (whose iconic weapon became the inspiration for Clock Tower) and are a rare time where one actually cares for their wellbeing in these kinds of films. There’s also the second Rick Wakeman score of the month and it’s another good one, plus Tom Savini’s special effects. All in all this one of the finest slashers out there. 4/5

Log Horizon 2nd Season episodes 10-22

Conception ep 1
Would be quite a good story for a hentai! For anime it's utter isekai trash! But I think I'll keep watching for the "plot" 😏

Mitsuboshi Colors ep 12 (complete)
A fun show with some hilarious moments. It's a CGDCT that works so well because they are actually girls doing stupid stuff that kids would do (most of the time, there were occasions when I thought their ideas were a bit more mature) and that's where the cuteness comes in. Whereas most CGDCT shows I've seen are high schoolers and the cuteness comes from the design rather than the actions.
The art was good, but the animation was a bit all over the place, sometimes really good action like when they were trying to be stealthy and did some gymnastics in episode 10, but a lot of the episodes had scenes that were basically sideshows (I guess most of these were montages so not too bad).
There is zero over arcing plot and I found it very difficult to binge due to this and some repetitive elements (and the saccharin nature of the show), but watching one at a time works well.
8/10

Lost Song eps 1-3 (dub)
Quite intriguing with a few different sub-plots along with the main plot of a girl who can wield magic in the form of songs discovering her true power. The villainous Prince is a bit too pantomime evil though.
Suffers from the same problem a lot of shows have when dubbed in that the songs are kept as original! IDK whether this is because the VAs have no singing talent and getting a singer would cost extra or whether the translation and reworking of the lyrics to fit is too difficult. At least in this case you can pretend that the songs are sung in a different language because it's an ancient magical language or something.

RErideD: Tokigoe no Derrida: episode 6
Also started some new Anime today:
Zombieland Saga: Episodes 1-2 Liking it pretty funny and that opening , so colorful love it Sailor Moon and "Super Sentai? references :p

Golden Kamuy: Episodes 1-3 Really interesting so far.Liking Saichi and Asirpa's interactions too.
Also educational learned something new today.

Little Witch Academia 2013 (Sub)Complete-Cute,nice animation 7/10 will be watching LWA 2 next then onto the series.

ZOMBIE LAND SAGA ep 2
Great stuff again. Awesome OP.

20181011_185655.gif

Mutafukaz (dub at the cinema)
Not bad at all. The backgrounds, action and soundtrack were all brilliant and the animation pretty slick for the most part. There were some cool references including a couple to GTA. The character designs are quite Batman-ish (no surprise given the same studio did some Batman OVAs), although a few are weirdly non-human and not given an explanation as to why apart from the MC which actually makes sense within the plot. The plot itself is OK, but the ending was a bit of a let down in few ways.
8/10

Karakuri Circus ep 1
Bit of a weird premise, but then again loads of anime have those. Like the old school look to it, it's adapted from a manga that started in the late 90s.

Banana Fish ep 14
The aftermath of the previous events sees a brief rest from the action, but things aren't quiet for long.

How Not to Summon a Demon Lord (English Dub) Episode 12 (Complete) (Uncensored)

As Miss Beelzebub Likes (Sub) Episode 1
This is a cute show. Beelzebub reminds me so mush of Kanna from dragon maid with her fondness for cute/fluffy things.

Battle Girl High School (Sub) Episode 5 - 7 (Blu-ray)

Merc Storia: The Apathetic Boy and the Girl in a Bottle (Sub) Episode 1
Hmm... I don't think this is going to be for me, it like a less serious version of Puzzle and Dragons X. I'll give it the 3 eps rule just to see what happens.

Zombie Land Saga (Sub) Episode 2
This series is just ridiculously entertaining.
First we get the zombie apocalypse (H.O.T.D), then a cross dressing Magical girl zombie (Is This a Zombie), and then we get a second zombie apocolypse (School Live) and now we got zombie Idols. Just what is Japan going to bring us next that is zombie themed.

Banana Fish episode 14. A slight reprieve before more sh*t goes down. Liking the new OP and ED.

Merc StoriA: The Apathetic Boy and the Girl in a Bottle episode 1 Adorable and enjoyable, though the idea of a kid growing up surrounded by fantasy creatures but being scared of them all seems a bit odd.

Zombieland Sagas episode 2 Nice rap battle, even if the act was...dead.

31 Days of Halloween Day #11: Evil Ed (1995, Anders Jacobsson) A fun satire on movie satire that features some nice effects and a gory climax as the main character deteriorates and ends up being sectioned. 3.5/5

Log Horizon 2nd Season episodes 23-25 (Complete. Another very enjoyable season, the atmosphere of Log Horizon and characters are what make this a good watch. Whether it’s the smaller scaled episodes or bigger fights there’s always a quiet quality to it. Season 3 pls.) 4/5

March Comes in like a Lion 2nd Season episodes 1-4

BanG Dream! Girls Band Party!☆PICO episode 15

Rascal Does Not Dream of Bunny Girl Senpai episode 2

Frankenstein Family episodes 11-12 (Complete) - I guess it's alright. The first few episodes were quite good and the series had it's moments but it kinda felt forced for the most part especially with the drama towards the end and many of the character's interactions just felt kinda unnatural. The art itself was pretty great, especially in the first episode but about halfway through even that became average. 6/10

Zombie Land Saga episode 2 - This show has been an absolute delight to watch so far. This show knows how ridiculous it is and just has fun with it. I wonder who's voicing Tae Yamada since she's uncredited in the ED.
43787863_476774142810683_8203841466158546944_n.jpg

Laid-Back Camp (Re-Watch) episodes 9-12 (Complete) - My love for this show hasn't faltered at all over the past year and given the recent news of a 2nd season, film and short series I felt it was appropriate to give this a spontaneous re-watch. Literally everything in this show hit the right spot for me from the music, directing, characters, educational aspect and the art style. In the words of Nadeshiko Kagamihara
43725906_359883451416204_136402195611385856_n.jpg
10/10 would re-watch again

Also in retrospect this makes for some great unintentional foreshadowing
43741186_1397209400413604_1570538006773760000_n.jpg

Back