Your viewing journal

Quickly going over what I've watched from the Spring Season so far:

Caligula ep 1 - What a strange episode that was. Not a clue what was going on and I'm interested to see where it goes. I hope it stays kinda bizarre and just doesn't become a typical action shoneny thing like the ED kinda implied.

Comic Girls ep 1 & 2 - Will be interesting to see the balance of school and manga going forward, normally thats not something I've seen "Cute Girls Do..." deal with. Its a nice palette cleanser

GeGeGe no Kitaro ep 1 & 2 - Reboot/continuation of a classic show I hadn't of until DB Super was cancelled for it. It definitely feels like a kids anime. Would be more interesting if they explained the Yokais, but I guess that wouldn't be necessary for the Japanese audience.

Last Period: the Journey to the End of the Despair
ep 1 - Very funny in parts, could get too much over time, but ripping on Gacha and mobile games is good. I don't know if it is an adaptation or just a riff on gacha but will see where it goes.

Megalo Box ep 1 & 2 - Sci-fi sports anime. Some good cinematography and direction involved here. Plot seems a tad derivative, but could be kept interesting if the other characters and fights are done well.

Sword Art Online Alternative: Gun Gale Online ep 1 - I'm an SAO fanboy, I just am. Nice to see a female lead. Not a lot to the first episode except giving a feel for the world and the 2 MCs.

Golden Kamuy ep 1 - Good traditional animation, and I thought the CG animals look good on their own, but they did not mesh well at all. Two interesting leads and I like the journey they've been set upon.

Hinamatsuri ep 1 and 2 - Really, really great. Fluid animations, fun set of characters to bounce off each other. The second half of ep 2 was bloody hilarious.

Kakariyo - Bed & Breakfast for Spirits ep 1 and 2 - I found ep 1 to be a bit bland with a bit a dull main character. Episode 2 was better with their being a bit more focus on her meeting new spirits and dealing with them.

My Hero Academia Season 3 ep 1 - I liked that this was a recap episode with a twist on the fanservice anime elements. The shows been off TV for a while, and its nice to refresh where the villains, heroes and the world stands as we kick of a new arc.

Dances with the Dragons ep 1 - Managed about half before giving up out of sheer dullness.

More shorts licensed than usual it seems as well this season which I've seen so far -

Crossing Time ep 1 - Interesting little story, curious to see if it plays a part of the plot going forward or if each short is completely different.
Love To-LIE-Angle ep 1 & 2 - VERY Fanservicey. That's pretty much all there is to it.
My Sweet Tyrant ep 1 & 2 - ep 1 actually made me feel uncomfortable. The mindgames by the main male MC felt almost like mental abuse. Ep 2 was better with less of him insulting his Gf.
You Don't Know Gunma Yet ep 1 - Felt very much directed to the Japanese audience as maybe a tourist ad. Might just give it 1 more ep.
Alice & Alice ep 1 - Some very creepy shots within the first 10 seconds. I can stomach some fanservice but the of first 3 shots of the ep, 1 was full on boobs and 1 was full on butt. Too much.

Also from Winter, still watching:
Cardcaptor Sakura: Clear Card Arc
Toji no Miko
Darling in the Franxx

The Pet Girl of Sakurasou eps 1-6
From the director of APFTTU. I'm not sure I'm really into this yet. The characters are all pretty tropey. You've got the bland male MC who doesn't know what he wants to do, surrounded by the cool aloof dude, and a load of girls the hyper one, the yandere-ish friend and the titular pet girl who is the quiet one and needs looking after because she grew up being waited on hand and foot and because she knows no better much misunderstanding and occasionally ecchi "hilarity" ensues. There are hints of something deeper on occasion though.

Maybe its biggest problem, but not its fault, is that it isn't Sound! Euphonium and I'm still suffering the post great show blues. Although this is rated higher than both seasons of S! E on MAL 🙄 so might get better.

Magical Girl Site ep 2
Giving psychologically damaged girls magical weapons doesn't seem to be the best of ideas, but maybe that's the whole point of who ever is behind the site and whatever this Tempest is is obviously part of some twisted plot.

My Sweet Tyrant ep 2
That's one hell of an odd boyfriend. But the girlfriend is accepting of his weird mood swings.

Hinamatsuri ep 2
Funnier than last week and hints of a possible plot. Another Terminator reference this week!

Hinamatsuri episode 2 This is eccentric but rather amusing. I like the Yakuza angle blending in with the supernatural. the young teen having to bartend was hilarious as well

My Sweet Tyrant episode 2 Damn the OP takes up 1/3 of this. Another alright episode, this guy has some issues though.

Kanon episode 16-24 (Complete. This was a very enjoyable VN adaptation in parts, but had some issues in places. I found the Makoto arc to be a strong start, and the Mei arc was different but also decent. However, the Shiori arc had the issue of the whole Kaori ignoring Shiori situation which just felt kind of underdeveloped. It made the arc less enjoyable but was still a decent endeavour overall due to the themes it explored such as suicide.

The Ayu/Nayuki arc worked well, but the overall ending where Everyone recovers undercut the emotional moments somewhat. I thought it was fine, though I can see how it could leave some satisfied whilst others could feel the opposite. Overall I quite enjoyed Kanon, even if some parts didn't resonate as much as others-heck I might play the VN someday.) 4/5

Teenage Yakuza (Film) An average to middling film that has some nice moments and shots courtesy of Seijun Suzuki's capable directing but failed to really impress or engage me. 2/5

Cardcaptor Sakura Clear Card (Dub) Episode 12

Citrus (Dub) Episode 12 (Complete)

Darling in the FranXX (Dub) Episode 11

Akkun to Kanojo (Sub) Episode 2

Comic Girls (Sub) Episode 2

Dances with the Dragons (Sub) Episode 2

Dorei-ku The Animation (Sub) Episode 1

Hinamatsuri (Sub) Episode 2

Isekai Izakaya: Japanese Food from Another World (Sub) Episode 1 - 2

Megalo Box (Sub) Episode 2

Record of Grancrest War (Sub) Episode 14

Tada Never Falls in Love (Sub) Episode 2

Wotakoi: Love is Hard for Otaku (Sub) Episode 1

magical girl site 2 - how dark do you want your coffee? do you want it filled to the brim with every cicada I can find? seems to solve one thing and set up another quite early. the "evil" theme music just puts a shiver down my spine....
the legend of korra 2 - the introduction of the true main protagonist of the series - bo lin! it's been too long since I seen this, I'd forgotten how funny tensin's impressionable kids were. well, at least Korra isn't every part the foreign bogeyman the right wing are afraid of in this one, she just breaks into a professional sports arena (she didn't obstruct traffic or resist arrest, so that's progress...) I still think pro - bending should be a multiplayer sports game though. they tried adding it to the critically panned platinum developed game, it wasn't multiplayer and it was underdeveloped, with some potential of what a pro - bending game would be like

Hisone to Masotan is a must see. The 1st episode is incredible! The animation is astoundingly good, practically movie budget looking. The characters are great and instantly interesting and likable. Couple all that with an interesting story and this show just looks like it's going to be alot of fun.

The Pet Girl of Sakurasou eps 7-12
so might get better
Literally first scene in the next episode loli imouto pantsu 😞 She then proceeds to fight 2 of the other girls for MCs attention which actually leads to the funniest/cutest moment so far after the MC picks a piece of rice off his sisters face the quiet one starts putting rice on her face too 😄. Episode 8 and especially 12 were actually both very good with some nice up-beat moments.

Persona 5 the Animation ep 2
A bit more explanation that should help non-players. I think I like Ryuji a bit better than I did in the game. Best girl gets a couple of seconds 😍
The fights have been re-created quite well apart from the art seems a little off. Probably would have been easier to just record someone playing the game instead of animating it. Shows how far games have come.

SAO Alternative: GGO ep 2
Origin story of how Karen ended up playing GGO (it's a very silly reason in that she didn't know how to/couldn't customise the height of her character, so had to keep switching games until the random character generation picked a short character) and we meet a new character.

Hisone to Masotan
It was one of my picks for the season except, you know, Netflix 😑

My Hero Academia Season 3 (Episode 2)

Darling in the Franxx (Episode 14)

Persona 5 The Animation (Episode 2)

Steins Gate 0 (Episode 1)

Amanchu! Advance episode 2 Upyo!

Darling in the FranXX episode 14 Oh boy this episode p*ssed a lot of people off. The drama feels quite forced imo, but I'll stick with it since there's a new arc starting.

Hozuki's Coolheadedness 2nd Season 2nd Cour episode 15 Magical girls in hell and snazzy Western fashion.

My Hero Academia 3rd Season episode 2 Training Camp! Training Camp!

Persona 5 The Animation episode 40 Liking this so far, hopefully it lives up to how well P4 worked as an anime

Karneval episodes 1-9

Last edited:
My Hero Academia - Episode 40 - I really dig the Pussycats already, hope they are in this season for a while. So happy this show is back tbh (less happy Mineta is back, annoying lil twit, hope they kill him off at somepoint).

Persona5 - Episode 2 - Enjoyed this a lot more than last weeks, even if it looked a little janky at times. They are moving along at a fair pace too.

Megalo Box - Episode 2 - Obviously it's early days but I freaking love this show thus far, everything about it is just totally my jam.

Amanchu! ~Advance~ (Sub) Episode 2

Beatless (Sub) Episode 14

Cardcaptor Sakura Clear Card (Sub) Episode 14

Darling in the FranXX (Sub) Episode 14

Full Metal Panic! Invisible Victory (Sub) Episode 1

Hisone to Maso-tan (Sub) Episode 1
Trash. Not worth watching despite the good animation IMO. (Dropped)

Lostorage conflated Wixoss (Sub) Episode 2

Magical Girl Site (Sub) Episode 2

Sword Art Online Alternative: Gun Gale Online (Sub) Episode 2

The Seven Deadly Sins Revival of the Commandments (Sub) Episode 13

Darling in the franxx 14 - one for strained relationships. not quite as good as the flashback, but ends with things changing maybe for a while

legend of korra 3-4
28fjvj.jpg

these episodes get into why the series was so good - the fighting! the fight scenes were one of the best parts of the series, many of tbem flow really well, as well as the plot of amon, the equalists, tarlok and korra's duty, creating some pseudo politics. tarlok though, basically puts korra, a scared, way too green teen on his task force to essentially directly confront amon, and it goes as well as, a scared hot head teen allows it to. I'd like to have the time to watch more of this one, amon has always been an intresting villain

Full Metal Panic: Invisible Victory Episode 1 - Fantastic start back for FMP after 13 years. You wouldn't know it's been that long in a way. Really going full blaze with the serious content from Continuing On My Own. Not too fast paced either, so i can see this season only covering half of what's left of FMP. You can tell in some scenes that there is things people will wonder about, and don't know about when they should do because it missed out on a novel, but in a way i'm glad they just stuck with the serious side of it rather than going for the more light hearted novel. It does just leave that gap of "Why is Sousuke so bold to hold hands with Kaname, as Sousuke was not even confident about his own feelings in TSR and a few other bits still to be touched on. Maybe they'll revisit in a movie, but we shall wait and see. But i expect some questions because of missing content.

Megalobox Episode 2 - There was the name drop to the Ashita no Joe 50th anniversary. Superb show so far, love the vibe and style of it, and can't wait for more. Also, no CG'd vehicles. We may have a winner here folks.

Back