Your viewing journal

With it being the Easter holidays I've had my daughter stay with me for a few days. So I've continued her education in the world of Ghibli. We've watched Ponyo which she loved, Spirited Away which freaked her out a little at first but by the end she liked and tonight we watched The Cat Returns. She's undecided about this one but laughed her head off when the King Cat loses his fur. Totoro, which we've now watched four times together, is still her number one. I'm hoping we can get Howl's Moving Castle in sometime tomorrow before her mom comes for her.

Mobile Suit Gundam ZZ (Japanese audio) - Episodes 42-47 (Complete)

This show was one hell of a trainwreck in a weird sense. The first 18 episodes were comedic ventures while the rest slowly starts to get serious. Along the way we have a lot of pretty bad episodes which ruins the pace and a couple stupid moments including a retcon. The final couple of episodes were good however, and there are some standout moments which were great to watch.

Some examples of what I disliked about ZZ (SPOILERS of course):
  • The comedy overstayed its welcome, and the first 18 episodes really dragged the show a lot.
  • Leina's death got ret-coned for what was a really good episode arc.
  • Rasara's death was so random it didn't make any sense.
  • Chara's character was so weird and confusing to follow.
  • Beecha is so unlikeable and his motivations make zero sense whatsoever, whereas Mondo at least had the Moon Moon arc to build his character.
  • Some of the Earth episodes were filler and didn't do much.

Last edited:
Chara's character was so weird and confusing to follow.
I know. Isn't she great?
FvCEe0I.gif

xpUGM9g.gif

Chara is a mentally ill nymphomaniac.

She is the best character in the entire Gundam franchise and I will stick my fingers in my ears and refuse to listen to anyone who says otherwise.

J7K67lu.jpg

Okay so after (admittedly inadvisedly) image searching "Chara Soon" to find an appropriate image I have a new person to add to my enemies list. Absolutely disgusting.

Thats wierd, most people think the reverse. Season one actually has some plot, season 2 is fanservice overload which I dont mind but it all seems a bit pointless. The chnage of studio didnt help either.
Eh, most of these shows aren't really good in the plot dept anyway so I am preferring this episodic structure more.

Sound! Euphonium 2 eps 1-6
More great stuff, I'm guessing it series like this that meant Violet Evergarden was so hyped.
The drama in the first 4 episodes was a little contrived, let's introduce a new character never mentioned before and have them have a complicated relationship with one of the band members that would throw everything in jeopardy if not resolved, but I seem to be a sucker for this type of drama because I still enjoyed the resolution. Away from the drama 2 scenes stand out, the fireworks scene in episode 1 was both emotional in terms of the friendship aspect (trying hard not to put on my yuri specs in their scenes) and stunning visually and the performance in episode 5. Brilliant.

Cowboy Bebop: The Movie (dub)
More excellence. I will say though that the antagonists seemed to be a much bigger threat than any they faced in the series and at times I felt I was watching a Ghost in the Shell story than a Cowboy Bebop story.

LotGH: Die Neue These ep 2
The same battle as the first episode, but from the perspective of the other side. Seemed less wordy than last week so might continue with the sub.

Tokyo Ghoul: re ep 2
OK, now I'm thinking this does take place after Root A. The synopsis on MAL and a line in this episode allude to events at the end of Root A, also I'm guessing that
Haise either is Ken, just after a memory wipe, or has the piece of Rize inside him instead due to what the ghoul at the start said and the flashback he had and Touka recognising him. Also they've changed her look slightly, checking back on the old series, she now has a slightly more detailed face and different colour hair and eyes, nothing radical but enough to be a bit weirded out by it

Le Fabuleux Destin d'Amélie Poulain
I love this film, but haven't watched it in a while. I was listening to the soundtrack the other day and thought I must watch it again. I was trying to think of any anime similar and thought the romance and slightly fantastical elements fit both Only Yesterday and Millennium Actress, but neither are exact matches.

Overlord II (Dub) Episode 11

Alice or Alice (Sub) Episode 2
Too much cuteness.

Cutie Honey Universe (Sub) Episode 1

High School DxD Hero (Sub) Episode 0 (UNCENSORED)
OPPAI = BOOSTO?!

Last Period (Sub) Episode 1
Mediocre.

Last edited:
Boruto: Naruto Next Generations episode 53 They're doing the film stuff aren't they...sigh maybe they'll change it a bit

I'm waiting on Steins;Gate Zero until its Simuldubbed

JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Diamond is Unbreakable episodes 27-39 (Complete. Another great entry in the series, I liked how it felt different from prior entries and had varied stories plotted throughout. The SoL aspects blended well with the absurd but entertaining stand battles and conflicts. Who knows when we're getting part 5 though.) 4/5

OK, now I'm thinking this does take place after Root A. The synopsis on MAL and a line in this episode allude to events at the end of Root A, also I'm guessing that
undefined
I would say the obvious here, the animation style is quite different to root A and the original series, some characters will go through a redesign, just look at any manga you have and it's adaption, these days animators do try and copy the style but have to change certain things that look better in motion and to something their animators can reproduce, I'm in work as of writing and too lazy to find them, but there are a few comparisons on YouTube of the berserk manga and berserk 2016. The manga has lots of details that pop out at you and really set the scene, the 2016 series seemed to be concerned with rigging the action more than adding details

Haise either is Ken, just after a memory wipe, or has the piece of Rize inside him instead due to what the ghoul at the start said and the flashback he had and Touka recognising him. Also they've changed her look slightly, checking back on the old series, she now has a slightly more detailed face and different colour hair and eyes, nothing radical but enough to be a bit weirded out by it
I'm not going to go into spoilers but Tokyo Ghoul:re is highly likely to be based on the manga this time around and as such the events of Root A aren't especially relevant to the current series. The opening already confirms that one character we saw die in the Root A is returning in :re.

Re:Creators episodes 9-11.

Had a quick skim through the first 8, and I mean quick just to refresh my brain a little. This was one of a couple of shows I started last year, got a few episodes or so into and stopped. Started playing a game I think. Missed a few episodes and didn't catch up.

Fist of the Blue Sky: Regenesis ep2

While it's not exactly War and Peace, I think this is definitely more sophisticated in its storytelling than FotNS ever was. It's just a shame we aren't getting the story from the very start.

Pop Team Epic ep11

Kind of fell off this one for a while after ep10 - that Ginza Hostess Detective skit went on way too long - but I thought this one was a lot funnier. Particularly liked the cursed cabin sketch.

Steins;Gate 0 (episode 1)
I played the game but I just don't like the idea of them changing the ending of the previous season. See what happens anyway.

Hunter x Hunter - Episodes 143-148 - And we are done with Hunter x Hunter. Really enjoyed this show, there were 2 particularly incredible arcs with the York New arc being my favourite, closely followed by the Chimera Ant arc. Kinda unfortunate so many things are left unresolved in the end but I guess not much can be done about that (unless they animate more of the manga? I dunno how much more there actually is or if it's actually popular enough tbh). All in all watching this show feels like time well spent and I could have easily watched more.

Last edited:
Back