Your viewing journal

Where's that dislike button? 😜 You didn't even get to the best scene in the episode!

To me they are among the most realistic characters I've seen in anime. They aren't just one note tropes, as they have strengths and weaknesses. They fight and make up in (fairly) realistic ways, some of the drama maybe a little forced sometimes, but its never too OTT.
Oh well, affinity - 200! 😝

© Scott Pilgrim vs the World
latest

Ancient Magus Bride (Dub) Ep 19
Dagashi Kashi 2 (Dub) Ep 7
Death March to the Parallel World Rhapsody (Dub) Ep 7
Katana Maidens (Dub) Ep 8
Overlord II (Dub) Ep 7
A Place Further than the Universe (Sub) Ep 11
Overlord II (Sub) Ep 10
The Ryou's Work is Never Done! (Sub) Ep 10

Legend of the Heroes: Trails in the Sky episodes 1-2 (Complete) - Pretty mediocre, having no knowledge of the games i felt quite lost tbh.

Supernatural The Anime Series episodes 3-4 - The strength of this series is doing it's own original episodes insead of re-doing episodes from the main show, condensing 43 min episodes down to 22 mins doesn't work (same reason i'm not a fan of recap films/episodes).

madoka magica 1 - only really had time for the first, watching the dub, madoka' s voice is that really annoying high school girl tone, but it's not nana from elfen lied so I guess I could get used to it. Himoru seems to be typecast as a kuudere
there's actually quite a bit of foreshadowing from the first episode alone, from the very beginning in fact. Madoka's dream is possibly an early time loop, where she still tries to reach out to madoka, but isn't heard. It transitions to the first time the viewer sees kyubey, then cuts to some further foreshadowing at the beginning of every single episode: the OP. It is brighter, more cheerful then the actual series seems to be, showing madoka' s antics and blunders as a magical girl, fighting monsters that never appear in the series. This could be what madoka thinks being a magical girl is, rather than showing anything in the series. Another foreshadowing is madoka and her mother in the bathroom, the bathroom is huge, has lots of empty space and the only two people here are madoka and her mother. The series has an odd habit of ruining it's own sense of spacial awareness, particularly when there is only two or three characters on screen, almost like it's a stylistic choice to isolate the characters. Not really foreshadowing, but may be a bit of a clue as to the shows nature to show, not tell, madoka 's mother seems to be dressing for work, but doesn't mention her job. Her makeup is labelled with numbers and she tells madoka how beautiful young women should be, which makes me think she's like an Avon rep, where she has to use the product she sells. More foreshadowing as homura is introduced as a transfer student, seems to be typecast as a kuudere and shows interest only in madoka. Kyubey appears again, but doesn't make direct contact, I'm thinking the sudden appearance of homura interests him (he doesn't have time travel powers, where as this is another cycle for homura) and seems to be interested in some of the young girls at school. Around about the time madoka and sakara start shopping, kyubey plans to make contact but homura finds him before he does, kyubey shows his interest in madoka by contacting her telepathically, where as sakara doesn't hear anything. Bebe is introduced just when the girls are pulled into a witch's labyrinth, and summons a countless number of guns, suggesting the power of witches and magical girls are a miracle and makes them nearly godlike.the last part of the foreshadowing is kyubeys last line in the episode, promising if madoka and sayaka form a contract with him he'll make them magical girls. The question is, why would such a miracle need something as clinical as a contract?

Boruto: Naruto Next Generations episode 49 Side characters gotta get some screen time too y'know. Still, how...bland

Expelled from Paradise (Film) A decent sci-fi film that could have made for a good series. 3.5/5

Freedom Prologue and OVAS 1-7 (Complete. Now this I really enjoyed, though the tone of the first couple of OVAs compared with the rest was a bit jarring, as it starts out average and ends up being very good by the end. Also love the packaging this came in-glad I got it before it went OOS.) 4/5

Last edited:
Flame of Recca is hot trash and yet I still have 16 episodes left and an OVA o_O.

This series has absolutely no hook. I want to call it generic and unoriginal but I can't be sure as most shonen shows I've watched came after. Either way it doesn't save the show from being incredibly boring. I spent the first 10 or so episodes waiting for that spark to ignite, for the show to sink it's teeth into me but it just didn't and has yet to despite being 26 episodes into it.

I guess the show taking 13 episodes to actually explain any back story to what is happening was probably a warning sign. There is so little character development, the villians suck, the show is pretty dull and ugly. The Viz Media dub is one of the worst I've ever heard but I stuck with it (after a brief 5 episodes with subtitles) because the show just isn't worth the extra effort of the subtitles i.e the dub while terrible is not the problem.

I know I should drop the show but I can be stubborn about that. I won't let Flame of Recca beat me! Just like how I didn't let Saiyuki beat me! haha.

Welp I guess I move onto episode 27. Pray for me. :(

Back