Your viewing journal

Cardcaptor Sakura-Episode 33

I kinda feel that burnout is starting to set in somewhat with this. I dunno, I like it and all, but I feel like the premise is being stretched too thin. It's better than it's ilk, I'll grant, at least the cards being unique each episode give it something, but I dunno, I just wish there was more plot.

Gakuen Babysitters-Episode 2

Still enjoy this a surprising amount, I like the mix of fun SoL antics and some genuine emotional moments.

Mitsuboshi Colours-Episode 2

This is the thing this season that seems designed specifically for me. It's literally just three girls running around doing nothing in particular, but I love it.

Fate/Apocrypha-Episode 23

I'm unsure if it's just because I was falling asleep towards the end of this episode, but I'm genuinely unsure what happened in the last 5 minutes or so.

Cardcaptor Sakura-Episodes 1 and 2

Can I catch up on the first 70 episodes before Clear Card? Probably not, but I'll be damned if I won't try!
So does clear card follow on then? As I've not seen any original cardcaptor?

Been dedicating a lot of free time over the last week to anime, feels good.

I watched Devilman Crybaby, which was absolutely incredible from an artistic point of view, from its creative and kinetic storyboarding, catchy soundtrack (oh the OP, it has no right being as good as it is, really), beautiful animation flourishes and Yuasa's strong sense of style and direction. Being unfamiliar with the source material, I'm guessing it was strong on its own (and Nagai is known for being a trendsetter, and it shows). Highly recommended.

I'm also (re)watching Escaflowne (up to episode 18) which I'm enjoying quite a bit, even if its shoujo leanings end up tiring me a bit now and again. The soundtrack is indeed beautiful, but I'm not the hugest fan of the character design. Or rather the artstyle, as reflected on the character design. Those look like some deadly noses. Nothing that really impedes my enjoyment, though.

Up next is Ajin on Netflix. Up to episode 9. It's alright, so far? I don't really have a strong opinion on it, for now . Sato makes for an entertaining antagonist, so there's that.

Finally, I've started rewatching Casshern Sins, which is one of my all time favorites. Up to episode 5. I love the retro character designs so much. The fight scenes are brutal yet elegant and have great sound design. The world, though post-apocalyptic, is beautifully depicted and the soundtrack is one of my most memorable. It really resonated with me and I'm looking forward to continuing rewatching this.

5 2nd episodes:

Yuru Camp△
More camping goodness, with the girls we saw at the end of episode 1 getting a full introduction. I felt Rin was a bit harsh in ignoring Nadeshiko, but later regretted it..

Also
_20180114_161119.JPG

Ms. Koizumi Loves Ramen Noodles
Ms. Koizumi opens up a bit with Yuus friends. I want to try some of the pineapple themed Ramen.

Katana Maidens ~ Toji No Miko
The events at the end of the first episode is explained. Seems all is not right in the Toji organisation. Slowish episode with a bit of action.

Record of Grancrest War
Still like watching a JRPG. They're in the recruitment phase, building the squad.

Citrus
Hints at more than just trashy love story. And is that younger character models of the main cast in the OP? Hinting that they've met before.

_20180114_215310.JPG

Finally, I've started rewatching Casshern Sins, which is one of my all time favorites. Up to episode 5. I love the retro character designs so much. The fight scenes are brutal yet elegant and have great sound design. The world, though post-apocalyptic, is beautifully depicted and the soundtrack is one of my most memorable. It really resonated with me and I'm looking forward to continuing rewatching this.

Hmm, I've had the US BD of that on my shelf for about six years now. I recall watching one or two episodes of it and never touching it again. Perhaps I should give it another go.

Hmm, I've had the US BD of that on my shelf for about six years now. I recall watching one or two episodes of it and never touching it again. Perhaps I should give it another go.
Casshern Sins is pretty decent, it kind of got forgotten about when it got shafted to the SAVE line but I think it deserves some attention

Casshern Sins is pretty decent, it kind of got forgotten about when it got shafted to the SAVE line but I think it deserves some attention

That's actually why I have it in the first place. I saw the full BD in the SAVE line for about £15 or less and thought it was worth getting just because it's rare to see a Blu-ray set that cheap. It was a little over my head at the time, but I have more patience for slow burners now than I did then. I'll probably give it another shot.

That's actually why I have it in the first place. I saw the full BD in the SAVE line for about £15 or less and thought it was worth getting just because it's rare to see a Blu-ray set that cheap. It was a little over my head at the time, but I have more patience for slow burners now than I did then. I'll probably give it another shot.
I also discovered it via SAVE back when Rakuten still operated and used my points to buy the set from Allyourmusic for like £6. It was one of my earliest anime buys

I also discovered it via SAVE back when Rakuten still operated and used my points to buy the set from Allyourmusic for like £6. It was one of my earliest anime buys

Yeah, if you have a region free player, the SAVE line is well worth digging through occasionally. The box art leaves a little to be desired, but if you wanna try something on the cheap it's probably the best way to do so besides just streaming it.

Yeah, if you have a region free player, the SAVE line is well worth digging through occasionally. The box art leaves a little to be desired, but if you wanna try something on the cheap it's probably the best way to do so besides just streaming it.
I think having a multi region player is a necessity for anime tbh. And SAVE editions are honestly great for what they are, I've discovered a lot of hidden gems from buying them (Utawareumono, Moonphase, Ghost Hunt etc.) and asides from the odd title with a lack of a title on the reverse spine, I don't mind the packaging at all.

I think having a multi region player is a necessity for anime tbh. And SAVE editions are honestly great for what they are, I've discovered a lot of hidden gems from buying them (Utawareumono, Moonphase, Ghost Hunt etc.) and asides from the odd title with a lack of a title on the reverse spine, I don't mind the packaging at all.

I've discovered quite a few series through them myself. I probably wouldn't have watched Mushishi, Phantom: Requiem for the Phantom, or Welcome to the NHK if I didn't have a region free player. Of course exchange rates have taken a big hit since 2016, so I tend not to order as much from overseas anymore. Thankfully the UK anime releases have gotten much better since 2012.

I've discovered quite a few series through them myself. I probably wouldn't have watched Mushishi, Phantom: Requiem for the Phantom, or Welcome to the NHK if I didn't have a region free player. Of course exchange rates have taken a big hit since 2016, so I tend not to order as much from overseas anymore. Thankfully the UK anime releases have gotten much better since 2012.
I tend to buy my imports from DeepDiscount when they have a discount code so it isn't too costly to buy US releases since there's no customs. eBay and sellers on here are also handy.

DARLING in the FRANXX (Japanese audio) - Episode 1
Junji Ito Collection (Japanese audio) - Episodes 1-2
KOKKOKU: Moment by Moment (Japanese audio) - Episode 2

Trying my best to check out more shows from the latest seasons compared to last year. So far here's my simulcast watchlist thus far:

Amazon Prime:
After the Rain
BEATLESS
Killing Bites
KOKKOKU: Moment by Moment

Crunchyroll:
The Ancient Magus' Bride (2nd half)
DARLING in the FRANXX
Junji Ito Collection
OVERLORD II

Netflix:
Devilman Crybaby (Completed)
Violet Evergarden

Also planned to watch but not started (or hasn't aired yet):

Crunchyroll:
Death March to the Parallel World Rhapsody
Record of Grancrest War

Netflix:

A.I.C.O. -Incarnation-
B: The Beginning
Godzilla: Planet of the Monsters
Sword Gai: The Animation

Dagashi Kashi s2 ep 1. I can deal with the art style change, but the lack of funny jokes is a problem.

Garo: Vanishing Line ep 11. I really quite enjoy this series, so it's strange that I keep falling behind on it.

Rage of Bahamut: Virgin Soul episodes 10-12.

Got a bit of a back log of a few shows from last year that I started but never finished. Started a game I think. I missed an episode, planed to catch up the following week but didn't and so forth. Did plan the catch up but then got lazy and just couldn't be bothered back then.

Last edited:
Konohana Kitan #12 (END):

Wow. The best show of the season ends with one final amazing twist, that was such a great ending I did not see that coming, in hindsight watching it again you definitely can gather the clues but man I did get goosebumps. Ahh great show.

Sister #11:

A boring last episode was more than made up, the "drama" element is also upped here, curious to see how it resolves.

Yamada-kun & 7 Witches #12 (END):

These last 3 episodes have been boring, not nearly has fun as the opening 9 episodes but I guess they needed some drama and conflict. Deciding whether to pick this up physically or not, I do see myself watching it again mostly for the first 9 episodes but dunno the last 3 didn't do it for me.

The Ancient Magus Bride (Episode 14)- Another beautiful Episode. Pretty emotional.

Dagashi Kashi (Season 2 Episode 1)- I didn't know that they where cutting these episodes to 12mins. It was OK, the art style change doesn't bother me.

Citrus (Episode 2)- I actually enjoyed this more then the first episode. I think I was too tired last week to really pay attention, but I'm really into it now. Yuzu is so precious, I love how far she's willing to go to make others happy. I don't like Mei at the moment, but I don't think we're meant to yet. Yeah she seems to have had a troubled childhood, but that doesn't excuse her for what she's doing with Yuzu. I don't expect any major consequences for her though, since this is a love story after all. They will fall in love properly later on.

I hope you enjoy it, if you do. I swear I don't understand its rating on MAL. Even on the objective side, there are many aspects to it which are quite good. And all in all it has good pacing, for a series that gets a bit introspective, now and again.

I don't have a top 10 but I figure Casshern Sins would be on it, or very close if I had.

Last edited:
Back