Your viewing journal

Blood+ Episodes 1-4

A fast paced first four episodes with two battles,and alot of questions already being asked/brought up.

The English dub is actually really good. No voice so far feels out of character. Couple of characters have a forced accent, but other than that its very watchable as a dub.

The soundtrack by Hans Zinner and Mark Mancina while it doesn't stand out that you take instant notice of it due to blending into the scenes well when you take a moment to purposely listen for it its a great soundtrack that really adds to the scenes.

Is this your first-ever viewing of Blood+, Lamba? If so, enjoy! One of the first anime series I ever watched, and still one of my favorites!

I re-watched Ancient Magus' Bride with my oldest daughter, I wanted her to see it before she leaves to go back to college on Sunday after Christmas break. We watched eps 6-9 last weekend, and 10-13 tonight, so she's caught up.

Last edited:
Blood+ Episodes 1-4

A fast paced first four episodes with two battles,and alot of questions already being asked/brought up.

The English dub is actually really good. No voice so far feels out of character. Couple of characters have a forced accent, but other than that its very watchable as a dub.

The soundtrack by Hans Zinner and Mark Mancina while it doesn't stand out that you take instant notice of it due to blending into the scenes well when you take a moment to purposely listen for it its a great soundtrack that really adds to the scenes.

How the hell did they con Hans Zimmer into doing an anime soundtrack?!

How the hell did they con Hans Zimmer into doing an anime soundtrack?!

Alot of money. Apparently the Blood+ Project made Mark Mancina a anime fan.

Is this your first-ever viewing of Blood+, Lamba? If so, enjoy! One of the first anime series I ever watched, and still one of my favorites!

I watched it illegally when I was younger around when it aired, but its been so long I really can't remember anything other than it was good.

4 more 1st episodes:

Beatless
Arato meets kick ass female android (who's also good at domestic chores) and she asks him to be her master. I guess that is similar to Chobits, although I've only seen 2 episodes of that so don't know the full story.
But where as Chobits seemed a comedy to me, Beatless seems a bit more serious in that there are 4 other kick ass female androids, possibly made by the boys father, and one of them has already tried to kill the boy!

Killing Bites
Yuuya gets mixed up in the Killing Bites battles after meeting Hitomi in unusual circumstances.
Seems like Juni Taisen (but trashier), in that people representing animals fight to the death as people bet on the battles. But most seem to be sexy females that are hybrids, but when they transform their female "assets" stay human and are covered by very little! Also seems like Yuuya is going to get a harem including a hunnybadger, a cheetah and a rabbit! (I can't see her winning many battles unless she's related to Rabbit from Juni Taisen or the Rabbit of Caerbannog ;))

Märchen Mädchen
Hazuki manages to find herself in a realm where magic exists.
Magical girl show with fan service (example MC is naked and has to run around with just a book to cover herself. It was used twice in the OP!)

Hakata Tonkotsu Ramens
We get introduced to every character in the show in the first episode and there's loads of them. A detective, a PI, and loads of different hitmen inc. a cross dresser, a hot chick, massive Russian, and a father and young daughter(?) pairing. All a bit confusing.

That's it for 1st episodes apart from Darling in the FranXX. I give all, err, lost count actually, series a 2nd/3rd episode before dropping stuff. Got plenty of time next week as I'm off work.

Last edited:
Bah! Saturdays are so busy for simulcasts now!

Junji Ito Collection-Episode 2

Whilst not as weak as last week's abysmal start, this show is really suffering from a poor art style. Imagery that I imagine was genuinely unnerving, unsettling or scary in Ito's original manga is rendered laughable and sloppy in the hands of DEEN. I don't know if Ito's style is just too hard to copy into animation, hence the total lack of Ito adaptations before now, or DEEN is just doing a crap job. I'm still going to stick with this for the time being, the anthology format makes it more bearable because at least the stories are short and varied.

Dagashi Kashi Season 2-Episode 1

Bah! What happened to the art style?! This was just kind of bleh. It wasn't funny and the change in studios has done the animation no favours. Prime candidate for being dropped, although it being half length episodes makes me less likely to do so.

Citrus-Episode 2

More glorious, lesbian trash. I love it. Glad they got rid of the straight love interest early on, that really bogged down NTR and I was afraid for a moment they were going to go down the asshole boyfriend route with this too.

Darling in the FranXX-Episode 1

I'm really into this! It was a little too ecchi in places for my liking (Protag meeting the girl naked troupe is one of my pet peeves) but Trigger's signature style and lovely fluid animation, not to mention the unique looking setting/world means I really enjoyed this. Seeing mecha animated in this style was giving me warm and fuzzy Gurren Lagann flashbacks.

Pop Team Epic-Episode 2

Man, I'm not even sure I can call this anime any more. It's just wild in how experimental it is. I can see why some hate this with a fiery passion, but I adore it personally.

The Ancient Magus' Bride-Episode 14

Talk about a disappointing cliffhanger resolution. I don't know if it's just me, but this series has kind of dissapointed me a bit. I was honestly expecting a story (which I thought was starting finally with last week's cliffhanger) but I'm just not getting one. Don't get me wrong, the character stuff is fantastic, but I much prefer something more story driven, or a balance of both, so this being more character driven is making me lose interest. There's this really cool world and lore that's been established and it feels like it's being kind of wasted by all the characters essentially doing nothing in it.

Black Butler: Book of Circus-Episodes 9 and 10 (Complete)

I am abundantly happy that Black Butler finally got a chance to shine. After a mixed first season, and a totally filler second season that I skipped, this third outing is all killer, no filler, and it really shows. The mystery is interesting, the antagonists are morally grey, interesting and sympathetic, whilst Ciel is shown as being as equally ambiguous, which is rare considering he's the hero. The action and animation were both fantastic, and the same goes for the score. I honestly really loved this and I'm eagerly awaiting Book of Murder to arrive in the post to watch!

Darling in the FranXX episode 1 Alright Trigger impress me again.

Ito Junji: Collection
episode 2 Still meh. I looked at the manga art and this just seems lacking.

Pop Team Epic
episode 2 My weekly dosage of sh*tpost anime

The Ancient Magus' Bride
episode 14 I really don't care for the new OP at all.

School Rumble episodes 1-5

Blame!. Not quite what I was expecting, but an enjoyable enough sci-fi adventure. If more of these movies are made then I'll certainly be interested in watching them.

ClassicaLoid s2 ep 10.

Full Metal Panic s1 ep 1-8. Eh, I'm not really feeling it. There's nothing here that I haven't seen many times before, but given it's prolific status maybe it's been imitated so much that over time it has become a victim of its own success?

Garo: Vanishing Line ep 9-10.

Karakai Jouzu no Takagi-san ep 1. The characters are sufficiently charming that I'm kind of enjoying this, even though the humour is very simple.

Overlord s2 ep 1. More of the same, which is a good thing.

Violet Evergarden ep 1. My Netflix sub is SD only, so the pretty visuals are slightly lost on me. But the story has plenty of interesting potential, so I'll be watching this with interest to see where it goes

Yowamushi Pedal: Glory Line s4 ep 1.

After the Rain (Japanese audio) - Episode 1
Killing Bites (Japanese audio) - Episode 1

Killing_Bites_-_1.PNG

Katniss Evergarden's Violet Hungergame ep1

I was expecting to be pretty ambivalent about this one, but I quite liked that first episode - aside from the pretty visuals, I also appreciate the post psuedo-WW1 setting. Not sure I like it enough to start dropping money on a Netflix sub once my free month ends though.

Pop Team Epic ep2

Didn't watch the encore all the way through, although I think the second take for the VA studio scene was definitely the funnier version.

Dat op tho.

Grimgar: Ashes and Illusions - Episode 4 - I only really watched this episode as something was annoying me. Basically I wanted to know if the next episode preview from episode 3 really did make it super obvious that he was going to die this episode or if it was just a double bluff... Kinda stupid when they make it that obvious really. I like this enough that I'll pick up the BD and finish it then.

Darling in the FranXX -
Episode 1 - I doubt I'd even have checked this out had it not had Triggers name attached to it and to be honest I haven't got a clue what I actually think of this yet :/ I mean it did some things I really liked as well as some things that I really didn't. I'll be tuning in next episode though so I guess it's done enough for now.

The Ancient Magus' Bride - Episode 10

Last edited:
Darling in the FranXX ep 1
Seems like a cool mech series, I'm sure there's some tragic backstory behind Zero Two and/or Hiro.

unique looking setting/world
Certainly, although I kept thinking I've seen Hiro's character design before. Then I checked MAL and found that the Character Designer was the same as for AnoHana, AnoNatsu and Anthem of the Heart. I'd say Hiro is most like Takumi from AotH, but with different coloured eyes.

Last edited:
Blood+ Ep 5-10

Plot has picked up more. I see what people mean by its a slow show with not much being shown, but what is shown is great.

The phantom while simple in design is quite charming.

TKFA57l.png

Darling in the Franxx ep1 - absolutly loved this and 002 is and intresting character. The battle scene was excellent.

The Ancient Magus Bride ep14 - emotional episode

Beatless ep1 - considering i hate most Diomedea anime this was a solid start and im onboard for more.

Killing bites ep1 - Ecchi, gore and furry waifus what not to like?

Garo Vanshing Line ep13 - Gina is some woman.

BEATLESS (Japanese audio) - Episode 1
OVERLORD II (Japanese audio) - Episode 1

Trying my best to check out more shows from the latest seasons compared to last year. So far here's my simulcast watchlist thus far:

Amazon Prime:
After the Rain
BEATLESS
Killing Bites
KOKKOKU: Moment by Moment

Crunchyroll:
The Ancient Magus' Bride (2nd half)
OVERLORD II

Netflix:
Devilman Crybaby (Completed)
Violet Evergarden

Also planned to watch but not started (or hasn't aired yet):

Crunchyroll:
DARLING in the FRANXX
Death March to the Parallel World Rhapsody
Junji Ito Collection
Record of Grancrest War

Netflix:

A.I.C.O. -Incarnation-
B: The Beginning
Godzilla: Planet of the Monsters
Sword Gai: The Animation

Violet Evergarden ep 1 - Well it has hooked me in like a good first episode should, so no complaints there. Intriguing premise hinted at, and some of the best visuals I've ever seen in a TV anime.

Ancient Magus Bride ep 14 - This show continues to be brilliant. One of the more interesting fantasy worlds I've seen in anime. Shame the new opening isn't as good though.

Kekkai Sensen & Beyond ep 2-12 - I took series one of this as a pretty good action show, but series 2 has elevated it for me. Far more character driven than the first series, and the last two episodes in particular are magnificent. Some incredibly stellar moments, and one scene in episode 12 that was so well done I watched it a few times in awe.

Last edited:
Fell behind on my binge watching in the last few days, but here we are again.

Cardcaptor Sakura
(Episodes 11-20):

Episode 11 was really good. Sakura goes to Tomoyo's house, and she lives in a mansion. We see more of Tomoyo's mother, and we find that she is actually Sakura's mum's cousin! Making her and Tomoyo distant relatives! The ending was sweet with the contents of the box. The Clow Card here was Sheild, this seems like it's going to be very useful.

Episode 12, and we learn more about how Clow Cards work. They apparently choose their master depending on who did the most in capturing it. Li manages to catch a card instead of Sakura! And it's a pretty OP one at that. I saw it somewhere that Li never managed to snatch a card away from Sakura in the manga, so this must have been quite the twist for fans.

Episodes 13, 14 & 15 where pretty boring to be honest. Basically filler episodes. Sakura captures Power, Mist and Float, while Li gets Storm.

Episode 16 was brilliant. I won't lie, it was a bit creepy in places. Sakura goes to a holiday cabin with her family and Yukito, and befriends a lonely old man who lives nearby. The creepy parts are with the old man, he seems nice enough at first. Making her tea and cakes, and playing tennis. But then he shows her his granddaughters room who is now dead, and then dresses Sakura in her outfits. This is where I was creeped out. And I was wondering why Sakura's father was ok with her going to an old mans house alone. In the end everything was cleared up and I felt sorry for the old man, and Sakura uses Rain to create a rainbow (something the old man's granddaughter loved) and ends on a happy note. Oh and the old man's granddaughter turns out to be Sakura's mum! Making him Sakura's great-grandfather! And Sakura's dad knew it was him that Sakura was going to see. I wonder why Nadeshiko's family hates Sakura's dad so much. What's with all the secrecy?!

Episode 17- Sakura has an outdoor activity class with the school, and they go to the beach. They play volleyball, swim, and catch fish. The next day their activity is a test of courag and Sakura,being the scaredy cat that she is, is dreading it. During the test, people start disappearing. Sakura and Li realize that it is the work of a clow card called Erase. After working up the courage Sakura captures it and everyone comes back, but with their memories erased. The only ones who remember are Sakura and Li. I felt so bad for Sakura this episode, I hate seeing her to afraid. She was basically full on crying, I wanted to help her :(

Episodes 18 & 19 where alright. They where mostly filler again, but the end of episode 19 did introduce us to a new character. Someone who Li knows from Hong Kong. Sakura caught Glow and Move cards in these episodes.

Episode 20 was great. I loved how competitive Meiling is with Sakura. It seems she's jealous that Sakura and Li might be a thing. We learn that she is Li's cousin, and that apparently she's also his fiance. Sakura's brother tells us that someone has been going around town beating up martial artists, and is a girl in strange clothes. I thought it would turn out to be Meiling haha! But it was a clow card called Fight, Sakura uses power (which she captured in episode 13) and captures it. It's funny that Meiling is very similar to Li when he was first introduced, and now he's being embarrassed with her outbursts toward Sakura. It shows how close he and Sakura have gotten in such a short time. I love the dynamic between the cardcaptors. We have Sakura, Kero-chan, Tomoyo, Syaoran Li (i'm going to have to call him his actual name now, now we have another Li) and Meiling Li.

Back