Your viewing journal

Devilman Crybaby ep4-5

Is it a hot take to say I think the fights covered in OVA 2 had better action direction in OVA 2? You could argue that this series is going in a different direction or not wanting to repeat the earlier version, but I thought the fight with Gelmar in particular played out in a much more interesting fashion.

Violet Evergarden ep 1 (dub)
Absolutely stunning animation, you can see a lot of money went into making it. Like film levels, reminded me most of A Silent Voice.
Story wise it's hard to tell from one episode, but it seems that she will learn what it is to be human from writing people thoughts down (I'm not sure what she is, lots of allusions to being a doll, but she bled and has breath. So not mechanical, maybe something akin to Replicants from Blade Runner)

Violet Evergarden ep 1 (dropped)

Sigh, This was truly overhyped it has nothing other than well done animation and some good music. Its story is going a direction I'm not interested in at all so I'm really not going to bothered with this tripe.

Inyuashiki Last Hero eps 6-8
Looked for a moment that Hiro was going to be redeemed, not that he should get redemption for what he did, but it didn't last. They've introduced an outside element of an asteroid, I wonder if the 2 will have to team up to destroy it.

Yuki Yuna is a Hero: The Washio Sumi Chapter eps 3-6 complete
Here comes the feels. Not so much when Gin died, it was sort of obvious what with her not being in the first season and various death flags, but her funeral was moving. And episode 6 sets up the events of the first season nicely.

Violet Evergarden-Episode 1

Absolutely stunning. I think it might be no exaggeration to call this the best looking TV anime has ever been. Everything from the motion to the detail to the backgrounds is just amazing. I'm also really into the setup and think it has potential to be something really special. Definitely one to keep an eye on this season.

Yuru Camp-Episode 2

More of the same really, not that I'm complaining.

Cardcaptor Sakura-Episodes 27-31

I am very much ready for a new OP at this point.

Black Butler: Book of Circus-Episodes 4-7

This latter half is certainly going to an interesting place, and that 'performance' with the kids was brutal.

Ms. Koizumi loves Ramen Noodles episode 2

Violet Evergarden
episode 1

Yuru Camp
episode 2

Sands of Destruction
episodes 4-13 (Complete. A solid episodic fantasy anime based on a DS game. Though nothing amazing it managed to be entertaining enough, and the characters and story were decent.) 3.5/5

Violet Evergarden-Episode 1

Absolutely stunning. I think it might be no exaggeration to call this the best looking TV anime has ever been.

Depends what you mean by best looking. Personally, I'm still more impressed by the cinematography of Monogatari than I am by the prettiness of KyoAni's stuff.

How To Keep A Mummy episode 1
I liked this. It was a relaxed slice of life thing amusing in places. I feel like it had a similar tone to something else I couldn't quite put my finger on. Also, I suspect the mummy character will be used as an avatar by a few people on here ;)

Inyuashiki Last Hero eps 9-11 (complete)
The battle between them was indeed quite epic even if the CG, especially of the city when they were flying around, was a bit lacking. He got to save his daughter who finally realised he existed, even if she was "dead" for a bit too long. And the both got a good end. Redemption for Hiro, even if he still doesn't deserve it. And a heroic sacrifice by Inyuashiki-San.

2 more episode 1s:

Love is Like After the Rain
Seems like a sweet rom-com similar to Nozaki-Kun (in that he's completely oblivious), at least from the first impression.

Kokkoku
Well that was a strange confection. Somehow I expected it to be more sober in tone and closer to Inuyashiki, but it feels instead like they're trying to repeat the success of Erased, with the magical-realist vibe.

I got Noein vibes. Time manipulation, some people who want to get a hold of it and (inter-dimensional?) creatures. Add a romantic element (see below) and it's very similar.

although the girlie shots in the ED seem very out of place.

I know right, but the lyrics and the man that seems like he knows Juri in some way suggests a romantic element.

How to keep a Mummy episode 1

School-Live!
episodes 1-12 (Complete. Wow, this was an experience. A sublime take on the zombie genre combining it with cute anime slice-of-life in order to create great drama with an impactful story and effective tone and set pieces. The soundtrack is also great, and I'm glad the Sentai PE includes it.

How each of the characters deal with their situation makes for an effective cast, especially Yuki and her delusions. The first episode perfectly builds up and subverts expectation, and the rest of the anime builds towards a solid climax and ending. Even a later episode that seemingly appears as fanservice actually leads to one of the series' crucial plot points.

I won't mention anything else since I think this is an anime that needs to be experienced without being spoiled. Overall this is a well made, highly effective and highly recommended drama.) 4/5

I actually watched some anime today, literally for the first time since episode 8 of The Ancient Magus' Bride came out, whenever the hell that was (must be about 4 or 5 weeks).

Grimgar: Ashes and Illusions - Episodes 1-3 - I wanted to check this out to help me decide if I wanted to buy the Anime Limited set and tbh I'm still not sure after these 3 episodes, probably will though.

The Ancient Magus' Bride - Episode 9 - I like this quite a bit but gotta be honest, it really hasn't hit anywhere near the highs of the OVAs for me. I'll try catch up with the rest of the episodes tomorrow none the less as I do like it.

Back