Your viewing journal

Ergo Proxy eps 4-6
If the first 3 episodes were set-up, these 3 seem to take a pause where we don't learn much in terms of what was set up so far.

Girls' Last Tour eps 7 & 8
More nice interactions between the girls, I especially liked the end of 8 when they find some beer and not knowing what it is drink 3 bottles between them and consequently get drunk.
It seems whilst the show so far has been free, the latest episode is still premium. Only have to wait till tomorrow (2PM). Though it'll be a waiting game from now on. The confusing thing is that it's labelled as having 12 episodes when only 9 are there unlike Crunchyroll which only counts the episodes that are actually available.

Last edited:
Inuyashiki ep9

Welp, that was grim.

Kino's Journey: The Beautiful World ep3

Having finally decided to give the new season another go, I liked that one more than the first two.

Konohana Kitan continues to have a perfect all-episode 10/10 score from me.

Quite impressive although it should be noted that Slice of Life shows are my favorite genre and thus, usually get a rather bias rating from me.

Invincible Steel Man Zambot 3 - Episode 20

Full Metal Panic! Fumoffu - Episodes 5 - 7 (Blu-ray)

It's really very silly in places but I am enjoying Fumoffu a lot, a good offset to some of the grimness of Zambot 3!

Gundam Build Fighters: Battlogue - Episode 3

More Obari led Gundam fun!!

With Sword of the Stranger being on the AL Christmas deals today I thought I'd watch a couple of Ninja films from the Manga Force Collection.

Ninja Scroll
I'd forgotten most of the story, apart from the very violent ambush scene and the sexual assault scene that followed, so I was pleasantly surprised that it was a better film than my memory had let on.

DSC_0225.JPG

Sword for Truth
It starts out OK, with a fairly straight forward plot about a kidnapped Princess and a Ninja hired to get her back, but then elements are introduced that split the main plot in two neither getting satisfactory endings, and others that are one scene and don't go anywhere or aren't explained in terms of the main plot.

_20171208_180624.JPG

Guide to the whether it's a 1st time watch or re-watch: (r) = Re-watch; (x) = First time; (w) = Watched in the last year; (?) = Honestly can't remember!; (na) = Not anime.

Afro Samurai Directors Cut (r)
Afro Samurai Resurrection (?)
Akira (w) Don't own the MF Collection version
Appleseed (r)
Armageddon (x)
Astroboy: Greatest Astro Adventures (x)
Baldr Force Exe (x)
Blood: The Last Vampire (r)
Black Blood Brothers (x)
Black Jack (x)
Bubblegum Crash (x)
Casshan: Robot Hunter (x)
Danté's Inferno (na)
Dead Leaves (x)
Dead Space: Downfall (na)
Ghost in the Shell (w)
GitS: Innocence (w)
GitS SAC: Laughing Man (x)
GitS SAC: Individual Eleven (x)
GitS SAC: Solid State Society (r)
Golgo 13: The Professional (r)
Heat Guy J (r)
Hellsing Ultimate Vols 1-4 (x)
Highlander: The Search for Vengeance (r)
Ichi (na)
Jyu-Oh-Sei (x)
Kai Doh Mar (r)
Karas: The Prophecy/Revelation (x)
Lupin the III: The Secret of Mamo (x)
Macross Plus (r)
Macross Plus the Movie (?)
Millennium Actress (r)
Naruto the Movie: 1 & 2 (x)
Negima!? Spring & Summer OVAs (x)
Neon Genesis Evangelion Death & Rebirth (r)
NGE End of Evangelion (r)
Ninja Scroll (r)
Noein: To Your Other Self (x)
Orguss 2 (x)
Origin: Spirits of the Past (r)
Otogi Zoshi (r)
Perfect Blue (w)
Psychic Wars (x)
Read or Die (r)
She: The Ultimate Weapon (r)
Shigurui (x)
Space Adventure Cobra (x)
Strait Jacket (x)
Street Fighter: Alpha (x)
Street Fighter: Alpha Generations (x)
Street Fighter: II (x)
Submarine 707 Revolution (x)
Sword for Truth (x)
Tactics (x)
Tokko (?)
Tokyo Underground (r)
Urotsukidōji: Legend of the Overfiend (r)
Urotsukidōji: Legend of the Demon Womb (r)
Vampire Wars (x)
Virus: Virus Buster Serge (x)
X (x)

Ergo Proxy eps 7-9
Vincent finally learns the truth about himself

Hellsing Ultimate (Rewatch) OVAs 6-10 (Complete. Brutal, violent and bloody good fun. Ultimate is a series unafraid of its over the top tone and plot, and instead embraces it with superb animation, characters and awesome set pieces. Of course it makes for perfect December viewing ;)) 4/5

Hidamari Sketch x 365
episodes 1-3

Miss Hokusai
Honestly, I wasn't particularly impressed with this. One of the biggest issues is that there's just no real plot. There's a few (very) small arcs that happen throughout the film, but there's no throughline, nothing to really connect them. There's almost zero character development. The film as a whole just feels sort of... unfocused. There doesn't seem to really be any discernible themes to the film either.

For a film about ukiyo-e, the film's overall art is kind of... bland. There's nothing particularly unique about it, or anything to make it stand out. There's some nice background art, and the character designs are fine, but again, given the subject matter, it just comes across kind of boilerplate. The music as well is nothing to write home about, and in a couple of cases is completely unfitting. Given the setting and time period, you'd be forgiven to assume the film's soundtrack would be full of more traditional sounding Japanese music, loads of shamisen and all that. Very little of that, and there's two sequences, at the start and end of the film, with a rocking electric guitar track... and it just completely takes you out of the setting.

Overall, it's not a bad film, it's just... fine. Unoffensive. Completely forgettable, with little rewatch value. The Ultimate Edition packaging is lovely, but given the film itself, I'm glad I only paid £21 for it.

Last edited:
On hiatus with Hokuto No Ken, taking a small break after the first arc ended at episode 22 to watch some other stuff but I'll come back once I've finished some other shows.

ZZ Gundam Episode 19 Still enjoying ZZ but have been watching it at a slower pace since I know it's going to be a while before the 2nd AL set drops and I like consistent subtitles.

Invincible Superman Zambot 3
Episodes 1-16

On the non-anime front I watched the remaining episodes of The Punisher (Episodes 11-13) and I've got to say that while it had its ups and downs I really like the overall story arc they went with and as for the final episode :cool:....no spoilers but as a long-time reader of Punisher comics they did a really good job introducing a certain aspect of the comics into the show in the finale. Excited to see what happens when Frank returns next time.

Last edited:
Blood Blockade Battlefront & Beyond episode 10

The Ancient Magus' Bride
episode 10

Hidamari Sketch x 365
episodes 4-14 (Complete. This was another season of Cute, laidback and enjoyable anime. Sometimes I need some slice-of-life to keep me sane. Looking forward to the third and fourth seasons when I eventually watch them.) 3.5/5

Another Manga Force Collection title:

Macross Plus - The Movie
I liked the story and the animation, especially of the mechs, mostly looked great. Even some of the CG stuff didn't look out of place (mainly the effects during Sharons performances) compared to a lot of other old films with CG. And of course the soundtrack from Yoko Kanno is very good.

_20171209_214427.JPG

DSC_0226.JPG

I did think of crossing off the OVAs, but together they're longer and are dubbed (Brian Cranston as Isamu :eek: :confused:) unlike the movie. I'll just have to leave it for a while.

Guide to the whether it's a 1st time watch or re-watch: (r) = Re-watch; (x) = First time; (w) = Watched in the last year; (?) = Honestly can't remember!; (na) = Not anime.

Afro Samurai Directors Cut (r)
Afro Samurai Resurrection (?)
Akira (w) Don't own the MF Collection version
Appleseed (r)
Armageddon (x)
Astroboy: Greatest Astro Adventures (x)
Baldr Force Exe (x)
Blood: The Last Vampire (r)
Black Blood Brothers (x)
Black Jack (x)
Bubblegum Crash (x)
Casshan: Robot Hunter (x)
Danté's Inferno (na)
Dead Leaves (x)
Dead Space: Downfall (na)
Ghost in the Shell (w)
GitS: Innocence (w)
GitS SAC: Laughing Man (x)
GitS SAC: Individual Eleven (x)
GitS SAC: Solid State Society (r)
Golgo 13: The Professional (r)
Heat Guy J (r)
Hellsing Ultimate Vols 1-4 (x)
Highlander: The Search for Vengeance (r)
Ichi (na)
Jyu-Oh-Sei (x)
Kai Doh Mar (r)
Karas: The Prophecy/Revelation (x)
Lupin the III: The Secret of Mamo (x)
Macross Plus (r)
Macross Plus the Movie (x)
Millennium Actress (r)
Naruto the Movie: 1 & 2 (x)
Negima!? Spring & Summer OVAs (x)
Neon Genesis Evangelion Death & Rebirth (r)
NGE End of Evangelion (r)
Ninja Scroll (r)
Noein: To Your Other Self (x)
Orguss 2 (x)
Origin: Spirits of the Past (r)
Otogi Zoshi (r)
Perfect Blue (w)
Psychic Wars (x)
Read or Die (r)
She: The Ultimate Weapon (r)
Shigurui (x)
Space Adventure Cobra (x)
Strait Jacket (x)
Street Fighter: Alpha (x)
Street Fighter: Alpha Generations (x)
Street Fighter: II (x)
Submarine 707 Revolution (x)
Sword for Truth (x)
Tactics (x)
Tokko (?)
Tokyo Underground (r)
Urotsukidōji: Legend of the Overfiend (r)
Urotsukidōji: Legend of the Demon Womb (r)
Vampire Wars (x)
Virus: Virus Buster Serge (x)
X (x)

Ergo Proxy eps 10-12

Girls' Last Tour ep 9
Most of the deeper meaning to the girls adventures have been hidden below the surface, but this episode wore it's heart on it's sleeve. Plus we learnt a few things about the world of GLT.

Magus Bride episode 10

Elias got quite a nice bit of character development today, and even started the first part of a bit of his past. Next week is going to be a great week

Hozuki Coolheadedness S2 ep 10

I laughed way too much during this. Hozuki in the Mundane world was just a funny sight.

Back