Your viewing journal

On the nature of the Lupin franchise, I actually get a bit fed up of hearing the argument that the Miyazaki/Takahata version is somehow less valid for not having remained true to the characterisation laid down by the original manga. While very few subsequent offerings have been even half as successful, I think there is enough material out there that borrows extensively from or blatantly tries to copy the tone and feel that film lays down that, for an entire generation of fans, that is their Lupin.

The fact that we can have the (mostly) family friendly hijinks of Part IV, and its forthcoming continuation, produced more or less concurrently with the adult strain that Sayo Yamamoto and Takeshi Koike have helmed, is surely proof that both interpretations can coexist quite happily and the franchise will not somehow collapse as a result.
You make some great points, and for what it's worth I still quite like CoC. The Miyazaki touch makes it unique amongst all of the Lupin material to come out over the years. It deserves a lot of credit for introducing the character to a wider audience.

On a side note I need another series by Yamamoto or some more films by Koike, they're gorgeously gritty.

Garo: Vanishing Line ep1

A handsomely mounted opening volley, but maybe a little ordinary? Perhaps I got my hopes up too much during the wait for it appear on CR, but it feels overshadowed by both BBB and Juni Taisen this season. I'll give it a couple of episodes anyway.

The Ancient Magus' Bride episode 8

Blood Blockade Battlefront and Beyond episode 8- a two parter? Me likey

Eureka Seven episodes 27-44

Last edited:
On the nature of the Lupin franchise, I actually get a bit fed up of hearing the argument that the Miyazaki/Takahata version is somehow less valid for not having remained true to the characterisation laid down by the original manga. While very few subsequent offerings have been even half as successful, I think there is enough material out there that borrows extensively from or blatantly tries to copy the tone and feel that film lays down that, for an entire generation of fans, that is their Lupin.
I don't have a problem with different interpretations of stories or characters existing (Hell, I love Ghost in the Shell in... almost all its forms) as long as people recognise that's what they are, because what I do have a bit of a problem with is people basing their expectations of and judging the rest of the franchise relative to something that is, in terms of its general "feel" (for want of a better word I might be able to think up later) an anomaly rather than the norm.

I
get a bit fed up of hearing "It's nothing like Cagliostro" (usually in a negative way) from people for whom that was their first experience of the franchise when they delve deeper into it, (and because it's so damn popular, of course it's just about everybody's starting point) so I just do my best to try and let people know that no, it's not going to be the same and here's why. No particular negativity towards the film itself intended really, just to what it's done to people's expectations of the franchise as a whole.

The Disappearance of Nagato Yuki-chan (Japanese audio) - Episodes 14-16 (Complete)
The Disappearance of Nagato Yuki-chan: I Cannot Let Summer Break End (Japanese audio) - OVA

xaHeB5r.jpg

566.jpg

This spin-off series was a lot more fun than I was expecting, and it's really good (imo). The OVA was also another added fun too.

November on-disc backlog progress:
Completed:
#01 | The Tatami Galaxy
#02 | Full Metal Panic! The Second Raid
#03 | Space Dandy Season 2
#04 | Knights of Sidonia: Battle for Planet Nine
#05 | Serial Experiments Lain
#06 | Gonna Be the Twin-Tail!!
#07 | The Disappearance of Nagato Yuki-chan

Remaining:
Blood Lad
Love Live! School Idol Project Season 2
Tokyo ESP

Record of Lodoss War (Complete) - The show looks great considering is 17 years old, the art is fantastic and I love the character designs. The show is held back by animation shortcuts and clunky action scene that just scream limited budget. Madhouse are capable but you can see where corners were cut animation wise and in the editing. It probably needed to be longer with a bigger budget to be truly great. That said its a classic fantasy with a wonderfully cheesy soundtrack, defiantly worth a watch. 7/10

Eureka Seven episodes 45-50 (Complete. It's been a while since I've gotten a feeling of such satisfaction watching an anime. Whilst not perfect, Eureka Seven is one great watch, and has some effective character development (at least from the main leads, a lot of the supporting cast fail to do much). My issues with the series come from the pacing of the story I.e
how long it takes Holland to stop being a violent prick and for the Gekkostate crew to value Renton- it takes 30 episodes.
and
How long it takes the story to really get going and properly set up the antagonist and his motives

However, the main focus of the anime, the relationship between Eureka and Renton is a joy to watch unfold, and their progressions from whiny teen and socially distant to likeable and relatable protagonists by the ending left me very satisfied. On a side note I loved the music references throughout with episode titles and specifically a clever one for Joy Division. Also Kudos to Anime Limited as well for providing this series with a UE it deserved. This is definitely a recommended series.) 4/5

IMG_0999.JPG
No bingo this time... This anime actually bothers to show the consequence of all those destroyed KLFs, and it profoundly affects Renton.

Food Wars! Shokugeki no Soma
episodes 1-20

Last edited:
Kiznaiver eps 4-7
Quite similar to Kokoro Connect with a plot device to ensure the characters can feel what the others do and reveal their secrets to one another. Although in KC they were all friends already.

Love Live! School Idol Project [Season 2] (Japanese audio) - Episodes 1-5

8e0d4cb432ef38337c813caa41dc01c577bf1e7c_hq.gif

With Nagato Yuki-chan completed and only a couple days left in the month I have started the second season of Love Live!. Went through half of the first disc for now and it's good fun, especially the over-dramatic humour parts. The fifth episode was pretty good.

Backlog progress I've got 11 episodes of Blood Lad, 8 episodes of Love Live! [Season 2] and 4 episodes of Tokyo ESP to complete.

Last edited:
Yet another big weekend for anime in my projection theater...

Saturday, I showed Project Itoh: Harmony to my oldest daughter, and she totally loved it.

Today we did another anime marathon, which is fast becoming the typical Sunday in the Frey Theater! First, this afternoon my mom and I watched A Silent Voice. We both thought it was just Ok; we liked it but it could have been better. Out of the three recent Anime movies from Japan - Your Name, A Silent Voice, and In This Corner of the World - this one was the lesser of the three for us.

The neighbor couple next door then came over at 6:00 pm, and the four of us watched RWBY V5C7 through the HTPC, and afterwards completed 8 more episodes of Noir from the JP Blu-ray Box set, eps 14-21, finishing the third disc. Five more episodes to go on the fourth disc, so we'll finish the series off next weekend. Lol, even my mom said after watching these episodes of Noir, "This is so good - SO much better than just about anything I see on television or in the movies." Love it!

Back