Your viewing journal

ZZ Gundam Episodes 9-13 Still enjoying it a lot. The upcoming 2 parter looks interesting.

Hokuto No Ken (rewatch) Episodes 1-8 Just got the Discotek SD Blu ray set. Yeah it's an acquired taste and I can understand a lot of modern viewers turning their nose up at it but the movie is what got me into anime in the first place. It's so great to finally have the whole series in decent quality and with (so far) pretty good subs. The previous Discotek DVD set apparently had some terrible subbing errors in later episodes, I skipped that release since I had some perfectly good fansubs at the time and the complete DVD set wasn't too far off £100 to import from the US. Considering the huge number of episodes and the fact that most of the sub errors on the DVDs were in the 4th arc onwards it'll take me some time to get there!

So.. Whats your opinion on this so far

It's a bad show, but it's so entertaining I kept watching. There's some rather silly but hilarious over-the-top death scenes in this show and there's not enough imo.

Best moments include (spoilers ofc):
  • Girl jumping out of the window from a 2-floor building because she was going to be punished, only for the punishment to be a simple 'confession to someone you like'
  • Guy trying to send an email to the MC but he's being punished and his body parts slowly fly off in epic proportions
  • Guy ends up being punished by decapitation, which involves spinning his head like nothing is wrong
  • Girl hacks into a laptop to stop the game, only to be punished by being burst into flames but she's so casual about it and continue to use the laptop like she gives no ***** about the fire burning her. And then proceeds to jump off the dam like she's a hero.
  • And not to mention we have a psycho girl voiced by Yui Horie
Now here's the thing, would I buy the Collector's Edition Anime Limited Blu-ray set? Absolutely. I love the concept of this show, and while it's pretty terrible it's a 'so bad it's good' type show.

ZZ Gundam Episodes 9-13 Still enjoying it a lot. The upcoming 2 parter looks interesting.
Oh boy.
ZtE5eUx.png

Do let us know what you think, I didn't think they were that bad but they're generally regarded as the worst episodes of a series that's not particularly well liked in the first place.

Hey, I do still have some of my old ZZ screencaps and reaction images. Too bad I can't play the ZZ BDs on my PC to take nice new HD screencaps because they seem to be the type of disc that crashes AnyDVD after a couple of minutes of playback taking whatever media player I'm using with it. Kinda regret deleting my fansubs now. Random Bonus Image

Last edited:
So.. Whats your opinion on this so far
It's a bad show, but it's so entertaining I kept watching. There's some rather silly but hilarious over-the-top death scenes in this show and there's not enough imo.
From what I've heard they are adapting the material that the Mangas Ousama Game and Ousama Game Extreme also cover. I have read both, since they are released in German. The first installment was taking itself pretty serious in the beginning until it ended up in absurdity, the sequel starts off right off the bat with absurdity and could actually still top that towards the finale. (Except for the last bullet point of NormanicGravs spoilers they are all from the first installment. So expect even more such over the top moments.) But even so, the ending of the second installment actually had me slightly surprised.
The Anime seems to start off with the second installment and interwine the first within its sequel somehow. That probably kills off the issues I had with reading the first installment, because I can't really imaging anybody taking the second installment serious at any moment.
I am also considering watching it, depite it's horrible directing (as far as the trailer goes) just for the voice casting of a certain bitch (this designation fits that character to a T). But couldn't really bring myself to it, yet.

Hellsing Ultimate Vol VII
Probably my favourite one so far. There's some backstory for a couple of characters and some actual pathos rather than constant ultra-violence (it still had plenty of that though). Still no Alucard, but seems he'll be back to "killin' nah-zis" next volume

Band of Brothers eps 5 & 6

Space Dandy [Season 2] (Japanese audio) - Episodes 11-13 (Complete)

That was dandy baby.

That's now three titles from my November on-disc backlog watched & completed.
Completed:
#01 | The Tatami Galaxy
#02 | Full Metal Panic! The Second Raid
#03 | Space Dandy Season 2

Remaining:
The Disappearance of Nagato Yuki-chan
Gonna Be the Twin-Tail!!
Knights of Sidonia: Battle for Planet Nine
Love Live! School Idol Project Season 2
Serial Experiments Lain
Tokyo ESP

C3 episodes 9-12 (Complete. A decent series which has some very cool concepts in the form of the Cubes. It feels like a better realised Elfen Lied type anime in places with deadly but cute girls violently maiming others. Overall a solid watch) 3.5/5

Charlotte episodes 1-13 (Complete. This is a series that almost feels like two different series' when looking at the first five episodes and the latter half. The progression is well set up, and the series is quite enjoyable, the MC develops nicely as well, especially during episode 7. Also, from the emotional pangs you can tell this was conceived by the same guy who penned Angel beats! Though I did like that series more. Much like the aforementioned, this also has a fittingly bittersweet ending.

The story does have issues
episode 11 especially, the villains come out of left field and the shock factor is ramped up excessively. It tears holes into the story
and plot cliches
i.e using the amnesia trope with the ending for instance
It's also a Shame AL had to split this over two releases, ah well. Overall this was still a good anime. Flawed and rushed, but good.) 3.5/5

Last edited:
Your Name (Rewatch) - watched it with my wife for the first time and she loved it. She even want me to lend it to her friend who would also like it.

Just a note I didn't notice the picture issues but the sound problem was more prevalent. The Radwimps Tracks sounded tinny at times. Thankfully it didn't spoil the experience.

Last edited:
The Punisher episodes 1-2

Blood Blockade Battlefront and Beyond
episode 7

The ancient Magus' Bride
episode 7 Well sh*t...

Knights of Sidonia: Battle for Planet Nine (Japanese audio) - Episodes 1-8

Since I'm behind on my on-disc backlog I decided to go through the entire first disc of this series. I'm really enjoying it so far, especially the funny moments which work really well in CG form. The BLAME! scene was also pretty cool.

Busy anime night tonight in my projection theater, with the next-door neighbor couple and another friend. We finished off the the last two movies of Kara no Kyoukai/Garden of Sinners, #6 Oblivion Recording and #7 A Study in Murder - Part 2, but before we did, I showed them a few YouTube videos of Yuki Kajiura, Kalafina, and FictionJunction peforming some of the music from both Garden of Sinners and Noir, so they could experience the music live. We also watched RWBY V5C6 which just released today.

Tomorrow afternoon I'll be showing Your Name to the neighbors and my mom, and then we'll dive back into Noir at episode 7 and go for as long as they want to watch... :cool:

Inuyashiki ep6

It's taken six episodes, but I have finally decided that I like this series. Even if his archetype doesn't feel especially fresh, Hiro seems like one of the most genuinely well written anime antagonists in recent memory; he's horrific, but undeniably human and believable. His violent revenge on 2chan was a little undermined by how much it reminded me of a similarly themed segment in Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back though...

Back