Your viewing journal

The Ancient Magus' Bride - Episodes 4-6 - How I managed to get 3 episodes behind on literally the only show I am currently watching I don't bloody know, but here we are. Starting to wonder if I still actually like anime... I mean I do as I enjoyed these episodes, but you know what I mean... well maybe :p

The Ancient Magus' Bride - Episodes 4-6 - How I managed to get 3 episodes behind on literally the only show I am currently watching I don't bloody know, but here we are.

Ha, I was in the same boat - I watched eps 4-6 last night myself, in one go - guess I've been too busy entertaining over the weekends, lol... The neighbor couple that lives next door to me came to visit twice over this past weekend for some avid anime viewing, and my mom was also watching anime with us on Sunday - we had been watching through the entire Last Exile series together over the last month or so, and now I've started them on a new series:

Saturday Night:
RWBY Volume 5 Chapter 5
Garden of Sinners, movies 4 & 5

Sunday Night:
Last Exile: Fam the Silver Wing 18-21 (End)
Noir 1-6

Looks nice, but I did some of my own research as I was bored at work.

• Jiro Horikoshi was born on 22nd June 1903
  • The first scenes of the film takes place in 1918 as seen by the magazine he is given. Making him roughly 15, character model seems a bit short seeing he seems quite tall just 5 years later.
  • The next event is the Great Kantō Earthquake on the 1st of September 1923.
  • So the next scenes at university and with his sisters visit. He tells her he last saw Nahoko "over 2 years" ago so would probably be winter 1925.
  • Next, when he moves to Nagoya, I thought it was the Great Depression (1929-31), but when I found out the date of the plane in the next scenes, I had to go find a different date. Turns out to be the Shōwa Financial Crisis of early 1927.
  • The plane in the next scene is the Mitsubishi 1MF9 which had trial flights in July and September 1927.
  • Next he travels to Germany to visit Junkers. They see the G.38 which first flew in 1929. The scene with the "secret police" (dub version) or men they saw in the hanger (sub) could also be 1929, a mob of antisemitic men chasing a Jew? The Great Depression saw a rise in violence against the Jews, but the law "was fair" until the Nazis got into power in 1933. History of Jews in Germany
  • The next plane was the Mitsubishi_1MF10 which had its maiden flight in March 1933.
  • Next Jiro visits the Hotel Kusakaru after the plane crashes. There were 2 incidents July '33 and June' 34. It's probably '33 as it would be too short a time before the next test and Castorp mentions Junkers being in trouble. He resisted the Nazis taking control of his company at first after they took over in 1933.
  • However in the scene where Jiro gets a telegram there is a date stamp which looks like 9.7.13. If the 9 is correct (it's cut in half by the bottom of the screen) it would, possibly, be the 9th year of the Shōwa Period with 1926 being year 1. So the date would be 13/7/1934.
  • The next plane, the Mitsubishi_A5M, was commissioned in 1934.
  • They probably marry in winter 1934/35.
  • The test flight of the Mitsubishi_A5M with its original gull wing design took place on the 5th of February 1935. The design was changed after this to a straighter version.
  • So they were married for no more than 2 months at the most :-(
  • The next scene is 1945, obviously at the end of the war, where we see the Mitsubishi_A6M Zero in his final vision with Caproni.
Sorry to hijack this thread for a moment, but I dug out my artbook of The Wind Rises to look at the timeline. The contents page warns that "Jiro's age includes estimates for some parts", but here's some detail from the book and how it compares to @D1tchd1gger's own in-depth research.

The first scenes of the film takes place in 1918 as seen by the magazine he is given. Making him roughly 15
Interestingly, the book puts Jiro at age 13 here, which would make this 1916. :confused:

Next, when he moves to Nagoya, I thought it was the Great Depression (1929-31), but when I found out the date of the plane in the next scenes, I had to go find a different date. Turns out to be the Shōwa Financial Crisis of early 1927.
The book gives Jiro's age here as 24, agreeing with @D1tchd1gger that this is 1927. Bizarrely, though, director Hayao Miyazaki's own original project proposal for the film, reprinted in the book's opening pages, makes specific reference to the Great Depression. :confused: again.

Next he travels to Germany to visit Junkers. They see the G.38 which first flew in 1929. The scene with the "secret police" (dub version) or men they saw in the hanger (sub) could also be 1929
@D1tchd1gger is absolutely bang-on. The book gives Jiro's age as 26, so this is indeed 1929.

Next Jiro visits the Hotel Kusakaru after the plane crashes. There were 2 incidents July '33 and June' 34. It's probably '33 as it would be too short a time before the next test and Castorp mentions Junkers being in trouble. He resisted the Nazis taking control of his company at first after they took over in 1933.
Spot-on again: the book says age 30 (1933). For the record, the previous scene in Café Flyer, where Jiro is made lead designer, is given as 1932.

However in the scene where Jiro gets a telegram there is a date stamp which looks like 9.7.13. If the 9 is correct (it's cut in half by the bottom of the screen) it would, possibly, be the 9th year of the Shōwa Period with 1926 being year 1. So the date would be 13/7/1934.
Jiro's age is 31 here, so it is indeed 1934. The scenes at the hotel where he is reunited with Nahoko took place in 1933.

The next scene is 1945, obviously at the end of the war, where we see the Mitsubishi_A6M Zero in his final vision with Caproni.
Indeed. We skip ahead to age 42 for the final scene of the film.

Fireworks (sub at the cinema)
All flash and no bang.
Some really nice animation, but they wasted what was an interesting idea by having pretty much zero character growth.
Unlike similar films such as
The Girl Who Leapt Through Time where a similar gift is given and Makoto learns that there are consequences and that such gifts should be used wisely. Apart from the world changing a little they didn't seem to learn anything, unless that ending meant they were dead or trapped in the alternate world? Or Groundhog Day where Bill Murrays character has to change his ways. Norimichi just throws the ball and changes the bit he didn't like!

Black Clover episode 7

Boruto: Naruto Next Generations
episode 33

Black Lagoon: Roberta's Blood Trail
episodes 25-29 (Complete. This was another great story arc in the series, it's interesting to see a darker side of Rock. It just makes me want to see the newer arcs get animated even more, maybe someday.) 4/5

Blue Exorcist episodes 1-5, 7-10, 12-17 (Complete. Not sure why it's taken me so long to watch this, but hey ho. I also skipped filler content, meaning I skipped the last arc. This is a very solid series, it isn't amazing and does follow certain predictiable story traits but it has some great characters and ideas. I have Kyoto Saga to watch next.) 3.5/5

Samurai Champloo (complete) - Great series with interesting characters. Slightly diminished by filler episodes I really could have done without the Graffiti/zombie/baseball episodes. 8/10

Stranger Things S2 (complete) - Loved this series more than S1. Aside from ep7 which was a mistake. They have some amazing acting talent on the show.

Last edited:
Fireworks (sub at the pictures last night)
Enjoyed right up to the end, then it ended? What happened? Was very abrupt and I suspect they'll release an extended cut with loads more in. Ditchdigger's not wrong in what he said though.

Hellsing Ultimate Vol VI
The Vaticans representative reveals his plan and Seras shots down an airship with 2 massive guns :cool:
Alucard has been absent the last 2 volumes, probably he's so OP and he'd wipe out those Nazis in minutes.

Kokoro Connect eps 11-13 (complete)
Except its not complete as there are some OVAs that finish it. I was going to rant that I liked it enough to want to watch them, but not enough to buy them. Luckily they're on HiDive, but you have to subscribe. I was thinking of doing this eventually (hopefully when they release a PS4 app) as they have some shows I was interested in.

Band of Brothers eps 3-4

Last edited:
Inuyashiki Last Hero episode 6

Blue Exorcist: Kyoto Saga
episodes 26-37 (Complete. Another solid arc, even if the story
does a Naruto with the supporting characters and has most of them be wary of Rin, only to realise their douchiness/differences/similarities and make up and work together and yadayadayada
Overall It's still enjoyable and fun, it has a nice atmosphere that makes me hopeful that it doesn't take them so long to adapt the next arcs.) 3.5/5

Brothers Conflict
episodes 1-3 (Dropped/On Hold)
Really wasn't feeling this, and after three episodes the premise failed to keep me engaged. Maybe I'll revisit another time.

C3 episodes 1-8

Last edited:
Lodoss Record of War OVA eps 1-2 - The art in this series is fantastic it's a really good looking show though the fight scenes seem clunky by todays standards

Space Dandy [Season 2] (Japanese audio) - Episodes 8-10

The electrical issue is still on-going but it seems to be okay during the early day so I made use of the time for more Space Dandy. Episode 10 is probably my favourite out of Season 2 so far.

Finally sat down and watched Your Name last night for the first time, using the Funimation LE disc. Wow, definitely the typical Shinkai Eyegasm.... Very good!

I need to pop in the disc from the UK Steelbook to compare, so I can get my email off to AL...

Back