Your viewing journal

Shimoneta-Episode 1-4

I'm reviewing this, so I won't say much, but I don't think I'm a fan of this, at least so far.

Hinako Note-Episode 2

Not as funny as last week, but still really cute.

Berserk (2017)-Episode 3

Wow, Griffeth isn't wasting any time, is he?

Bleach-Episode 351

Shimoneta-Episode 1-4

I'm reviewing this, so I won't say much, but I don't think I'm a fan of this, at least so far.

I totally understand what you mean about Shimoneta. I tried to watch it, and while I appreciate what the anime is satirising, I don't think the message neccessarily translates to quality entertainment.

I totally understand what you mean about Shimoneta. I tried to watch it, and while I appreciate what the anime is satirising, I don't think the message neccessarily translates to quality entertainment.

My problem is that it seems to think that simply saying sexual things is funny. Sex comedies can work, but they have to be situational. I think No-Rin was how to do it right. It did have a lot of sex jokes, but they were always in really absurd, over the top situations, and that's what made it funny. One of the jokes in Shimoneta is literally a character rolling on the floor repeating the word penis and vagina. That's not funny, that's just dumb.

My problem is that it seems to think that simply saying sexual things is funny. Sex comedies can work, but they have to be situational. I think No-Rin was how to do it right. It did have a lot of sex jokes, but they were always in really absurd, over the top situations, and that's what made it funny. One of the jokes in Shimoneta is literally a character rolling on the floor repeating the word penis and vagina. That's not funny, that's just dumb.

Yeah, that's what put me off on it too. It's the type of thing a ten year old boy might find funny. Except a ten year old boy isn't technically allowed to watch it because it's rated 18. :D I don't normally drop shows after one episode because I like to give things a fair chance, but I dropped that show in a heartbeat because I knew it was just going to be the same thing for another 11 episodes.

Shimoneta went down pretty well when the local club aired it. I think criticising it for merely inserting the word 'penis' into a sentence, and assuming this constitutes a joke, is a fair point, but generally I found the madcap enthusiasm with which it enters into its own increasingly ridiculous setup carried it through.

Shimoneta went down pretty well when the local club aired it. I think criticising it for merely inserting the word 'penis' into a sentence, and assuming this constitutes a joke, is a fair point, but generally I found the madcap enthusiasm with which it enters into its own increasingly ridiculous setup carried it through.

I'm only 4 episodes in, so maybe it'll get funny to me, but I'm not so sure.

Sankarea episodes 5-13 (Complete. That was a nice surprise, the anime handles the topics it tackles with sensitivity and is very enjoyable as a result, one hopes that they'd make another season someday 4/5)

Attack on Titan episode 28

My Hero Academia episode 16

Berserk 2017 episode 15

Shakugan no Shana episodes 1-4

Last edited:
Watched up to 133 of Naruto Shippuden, man, 133 had me on the verge
Jirayas death was extremely well done, and powerfully emotional imo

Berserk s3 ep 1-2. Did Guts just get trolled by Griffith? In any case this season is looking like an interesting role reversal between hero and villain.

Eromanga-sensei ep 1. Meh.

Yowamushi Pedal: New Generation s3 ep 14. This glasses guy is getting on my nerves.

Attack on Titan [Season 2] (Japanese audio) - Episode 3
Berserk [Season 2] (Japanese audio) - Episode 3
My Hero Academia [Season 2] (Japanese audio) - Episode 3

My Hero Academy Season 2-Episode 3

I am so looking forward to next week's episode. It's going to be super interesting.

Attack on Titan Season 2-Episode 3

THEY FINALLY GAVE CHRISTA SOMETHING TO DO. I AM SO HAPPY.

Granblue Fantasy-Episode 3

I'm not sure if I caught the other two episodes on a bad day or something, but I found this episode much more enjoyable for reasons I cannot place.

Eromanga-Sensei-Episode 2

Megumi is kind of amazing.

Bleach-Episode 352

Shimoneta-Episode 5

Alice and Zouroku-Episode 3

Kind of bizarre watching Shimoneta and Alice and Zouroku back to back. Despite both being JC Staff, they couldn't be further apart.

Finally found some time to try a few of the new shows this season.

Will definitely continue
Natsume Yuujinchou Roku (ep. 1) - When you hear those first few sentences, you know it's going to be another great season :D
Nobunaga no Shinobi: Ise Kanegasaki-hen (ep. 1-2)

Promising
Anonymous Noise (ep. 1) - Quite a lot happened in the first episode, curious to see which direction to story takes.
Shuumatsu (ep. 1) - Not really sold on the setting and story, but I liked the narrative and pacing.
Sakura Quest (ep. 1-2) - Solid start, nothing more to say.

Enjoyable

Clockwork Planet (ep. 1-2) - I like gears and clockworks, they're cool, but turns out you can overuse them. A button on a gear?! Quite a few displays instead of dials? Gears slapped on everything without every seeing them turn (in RyuZU's hair and on Marie's car) I get it, they are just a gimmick and decorative, but that's such a shame.
The Silver Guardian (ep. 1-3) - It's quite bad, but somehow a bit enjoyable. I also managed to get through Cheating Craft so I'll manage.

Back