Your viewing journal

Your Name

I'm glad I did go and see this before it left cinemas as I would've regretted it otherwise. It lived up to the hype as well which was pretty high for me after seeing everyone rave about it on here. There aren't many anime I'd give a 10 but this is definitely one of them. Was quite surprised how packed my screen was but then this was the first anime film I've seen in cinemas.

Gungrave-Episodes 19-21

So is this show going to just murder it's entire cast?

Keijo-Episode 9

Just as ridiculous as ever.

Flip Flappers-Episode 9

Hoorah, more Yayaka focus and the inevitable finally happened!

It went there, you mean? Hot on the tail of the ice-skating chaps?

Oh, not quite that. Papika does confess her love for Cocona but I'm not sure it was romantic. I was more referencing Yayaka getting kicked out of her organization and joining with Papika and Cocona.

but hey, if they want to go YOI with it, they have my backing ;)

I see. I've stalled on that show, I must admit. Would you say it is worth continuing?

Definitely! I'm not too sure how much our tastes align but I adore the series. If not for Sound! Euphonium S2, it would certainly be my favourite thing airing this season. For one, the visuals are just amazing. It manages to switch between a variety of different styles and it always looks fresh, yet it's still consistent. The characters are also pretty great and really charming, Papika especially I just adore. Your milage may vary and all that, but it's certainly a series I'd recommend continuing!

Mobile Suit Gundam: Iron-Blooded Orphans - Episode 34

I like IBO, it's a great character driven show but I feel like it's starting to tread water at moment.

KissDum Engage Planet - Episodes 7 - 9

Yuri!!! On Ice - Episode 9

While it's not wholly uncommon for me, I'm currently having one of those "Why didn't I watch this series sooner?!" moments with a particular show: Natsume's Book of Friends.

I most recently watched episodes 8 and 9, both of which that were quite good, but overall I've really enjoyed each and every episode. I worried initially that the show would feel a bit slow, but now that I've watched this much I'm familiar with the pacing and always find it just right. I'm hoping that future seasons of the series are just as good. ^^

Beyond that, also watched Naruto Shippuden - episode 484 yesterday.

Izetta, The Last Witch ep 8. At least this is showing the world powers motivations in a fairly accurate way. The princesses naive view of the world is going to come crashing down on her head before long.

Kiss Him, Not Me
ep 8. Oh dear, things got a bit rapey there (but then it is a shoujo series, so I really should have seen that coming). At least it made the point that it's only 'hot' in anime/manga and is terrifying and traumatic in reality, which is more than most shoujo stories would say about the matter (would be better if it was cut out entirely of course...).

Samurai 7 eps 15-18

Man this series has so much recap, every episode usually has recap at the start of what happened in the previous episode and at the end they recap what happened in that episode :mad:. You can save around 5-6 mins by skipping through all the recap, OP & ED. To top it off half of episode 17 was mostly the characters reflecting on past events.

Gungrave-Episodes 22-26 (Complete)

It took me a little while to warm up to this show, but once it got going a bit, about 5 to 6 episodes in, I started to really love it. It has a really good cast of characters and I liked the relationships between the main group of characters (Brandon, Maria, Harry, Big Daddy and Mika) as there were some really interesting dynamics going on, and the supporting cast was pretty good too. It also had some excellent looking action in the second half, but I expect nothing less from Madhouse at this point. Only real issue I took was those first few episodes, which were rather slow and not very interesting, and the ending, which I think could have used a flash forward to show what happened to the organisation and Mika after the events of the final scene. Still though, definitely a series I'd recommend to people, and not one I hear many talk about. I also think I'll be checking out the game now to see what that's like.

Drifters-Episode 9

JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Diamond is Unbreakable-Episode 36

Last edited:
While it's not wholly uncommon for me, I'm currently having one of those "Why didn't I watch this series sooner?!" moments with a particular show: Natsume's Book of Friends.

I most recently watched episodes 8 and 9, both of which that were quite good, but overall I've really enjoyed each and every episode. I worried initially that the show would feel a bit slow, but now that I've watched this much I'm familiar with the pacing and always find it just right. I'm hoping that future seasons of the series are just as good. ^^
It's certainly a great show. It seems that people often avoid shows that they think might be slow but sometimes it's less about being fast or slow paced and more about getting the pacing just right for the story and atmosphere. That doesn't necessarily mean that everyone would enjoy it but it's probably worth taking a chance from time to time.

Gungrave-Episodes 22-26 (Complete)
Gungrave would have been one of the earliest anime that I saw, I recall quite enjoying it. It's not a perfect show and it is a bit odd but the mix of more "real"/"down to earth" and fantastical elements makes for an interesting experience. It's probably actually quite a good show for highlighting that anime can do all sorts of things.

Drifters ep9

I find it interesting that, with Hellsing, it would have been easy to accuse Hirano of fetishising the nazis, whereas in Drifters, he seems to be consciously distancing himself from that. While he hasn't explicitly condemned the actions of Hitler in building the Orte empire, he's certainly shown some of the horrific effect on the peoples oppressed by Orte with the elves reduced to 'comfort women' and now the dwarves kept as slaves in a concentration camp.

Punch Line-Episodes 1-9

Well, this show is certainly an oddity. On paper, it sounds like it should be a disaster. It's part supernatural, part super hero, part slice of life, part ecchi comedy and part drama, yet, despite it being a hodge podge of several different genres, it works really, really well. Considering this amount it's trying to do, the best compliment I can give it is that it actually feels cohesive. None of the various elements feel like they're conflicting with each other and it all flows together surprisingly well. I'm also a huge fan of the way the story is structured due to the time travel element, as we see the same story unravel in a different way from a different viewpoint, which answers a lot of the mysteries set up in the first half of the show, which is very satisfying. It's also just incredibly entertaining and fun to watch, having a ton of energy, yet knowing when to slow it down to establish and flesh out it's fairly small cast of characters, so it doesn't every feel like the pace is unrelenting. Animation is also very strong, coming from MAPPA, and is very fluid and vibrant. I haven't seen much from MAPPA, only other I have is Yuri on Ice, but going by the animation quality alone from both this and Yuri, I'll certainly be seeing out more of their works. Honestly, so far, I have no real complaints about this series. I suppose not every joke hits home for me, but comedy being the subjective beast it is, I'm not entirely sure I could take points off it. I'm not into ecchi comedy, but at least this series doesn't fall back on the same old tropes and worn out gags that shows of the same ilk are often plagued with.

Last edited:
Shingu(Completed)

As I might have already mentioned I've seen the show before, yet I enjoy it's mellow paced nature of it, so it makes easy to digest without it being too overly complicated. It's not the best of shows by far, but it does have a lot of merit. For one thing Madhouse provides the animation to a pretty well standard for its time and how many episodes there was. It's especially evident when you have the scenes of Shingu fighting. The other point is Tetsuo Sato directed this series, take that as you will though he does have a knack at doing sci-fi series. That or most companies with license whatever he's done involving sci-fi, though compared to Azumanga or Nadesico it doesn't stand out as much as a conversation piece. One of the more interesting parts is where we have Hajime, our main, that narrates and occasionally breaks the forth wall. I will say what I find quite odd was how Nayuta's physical body stayed on earth whilst performing astral projection yet all the other times she "disappears" into Shingu. It could be the fact all she was sending into space was her heart since the rest of the group was there though idk

Back