Your viewing journal

Drifters ep2

A slight complaint I have with the way that CR are handling the subs on this is that, while it's often implied through the dialogue, there's nothing to indicate when characters are speaking in different languages.

Dat op though.

Diamond is Unbreakable ep29

I quite enjoyed it. Maybe it's because I thought Janken Boy and especially the first episode about the alien guy were a bit of a low point by comparison, but I thought this was fine.

Ep 2 of Yuri!!! on Ice...i'm loving it more as it goes along.
Ep 2 of Drifters...such great action and gore. Loving the OP as well.
Ep 2 of All Out!!
Ep 2 of Touken Ranbu: Hanamaru
Eps 1-7 of Nobunaga the Fool

Assassination Classroom 1-11
Finished the part 1 I picked up from Amazon's lightning deal the other day. Hasn't quite gotten to where I've read the manga up to (volume 5), but seems to be getting close. Really enjoying it so far, though I'll probably wait a couple weeks until payday to pick up part 2.

Polar Bear's Café 1-7
Shut it down folks, turns out the greatest anime ever made happened four years ago.

Full Metal Panic: The Second Raid-Episodes 8-13, Episode 000 and OVA (Complete)

You know, I was 110% on board with The Second Raid for the first half, but it really takes kind of a dip in quality in its latter half. As much as I thought it might have been interesting initially, the whole angsty, depressed Sousuke that the last half centers on was really a drag. It was largely just him moping around for 4 or 5 episodes, and it was never particularly interesting, and I was actually getting pretty bored. Adding to this was the fact that this half was also severely lacking in action sequences, barring the last episode, and when your show is an action/mecha show, that's a problem. I don't think taking this franchise down a darker path is inherently a bad idea, but it just really wasn't handled well. Another squandered idea was having Tessa's brother involved on the enemy side. They literally do nothing at all with this idea, and is very undercooked. Granted, I'm pretty sure this aspect is expanded upon in the source, but in the anime, it just seems pointless. I don't think it was enough to ruin the incredibly enjoyable first half, but it's kind of a shame they couldn't keep the general level of quality up.

The OVA was pretty enjoyable, although tonally, it wasn't really a Second Raid OVA, but more of a Fumoffu OVA instead. Got a few laughs out of me.

Having seen all three seasons of Full Metal Panic now, I can definitely say that Fumoffu was the best. It had a bunch of excellent action sequences and was generally a ton of fun and genuinely quite funny. With a new season on the way in the future, I do wonder what kind of tone it will adopt, wacky and fun like Fumoffu or dark and serious like The Second Raid. Personally, I don't think I'd mind either, but I would be interested if they could execute the latter more successfully than The Second Raid did.

Last edited:
The second raid was my favorite series of the three as it actually moved the plot along somewhat. The next season will be based around the Sigma arc and is apparently the best of the series. I suspect it will be a more serious tone with bits of comedy to give you a breather. I really hope the next Full Metal panic will be 24eps. We should get more info in the announcement on the 22nd of October.

I have mixed feelings about the Second Raid. On one hand, it's definitely not as memorable as the first series or Fumoffu - but the animation quality is obviously a fairly big step up, and I also liked how it tried to go for a more adult tone. That said, I always come back to the roof-top scene in the rain which is a) a total rip off/homage of Blade Runner, and b) gets a little weird with its fanservice / borderline rapey in tone (if I'm remembering it correctly)

How to Raise a Boring Girlfriend (SaeKano)-Episodes 1-6

Decided to check this out after a few people were chatting about it in the Discord. Incredibly enjoyable show to watch, the characters are pretty great and entertaining and the animation is good and quite different from how A-1 productions usually look.

Orange 5-13 (Complete)

Overall, I really enjoyed it, even if Naho and Kakeru are perhaps the least interesting characters in the show, and that the former made me want to scream at my TV on more than a handful of occasions...

Phantom Requiem for Phantom - ep 13
Occultic 9 - ep 2 (still dont have a clue whats going on)
My wife is student council president S2 - ep 3
Tokyo Ravens - ep 4-7

A whole load of stuff from the last week, because I was too lazy to post it each day :p

Classicaloid
ep 1. Madness.

Drifters
ep 1. Seems a bit like style over substance.

Izetta: The Last Witch
ep 2. This all seems a bit... anime for such serious subject matter. If the setting was a completely fictional one, instead of this obvious WW2 analogue, then I might have an easier time settling into the storyline.

Kiss Him, Not Me
ep 1-2. Starts with a disturbing message about starving yourself to become beautiful, and as a whole is simply female otaku wish fulfillment, but beyond that it's a really funny series (imo).

Long Riders ep 1. Doesn't even try to be different from all the other K-On copycats. It's a lesser Bakuon.

Mobile Suit Gundam: Iron-Blooded Orphans
s2 ep 2.

Natsume's Book of Friends
s1 ep 12-13 (complete). Really must find time to watch the next few series of this. Wonderful.

No Game, No Life ep 1-12 (complete). Game Theory: The Anime. Hoping the movie is a continuation of the story instead of a recap.

Occultic;Nine ep 1. ........what?

March Comes in Like A Lion episode 2
Izetta the Last Witch episode 3
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Diamond is Unbreakable episode 29
Dragon Ball Super episode 62
Haikyuu Season 3 episode 2
WWW.Working!! episode 3
DRIFTERS episode 2
Naruto Shippuden episode 479
Occultic;Nine episode 2 < very confusing, I'll give it one more episode before I consider dropping it
Code Geass: Lelouch of the Rebellion (REWATCH) episodes 1-25 (COMPLETED)
Code Geass: Lelouch of the Rebellion R2 (REWATCH) episodes 1-17

A whole load of stuff from the last week, because I was too lazy to post it each day :p

Classicaloid
ep 1. Madness.

Drifters
ep 1. Seems a bit like style over substance.

Izetta: The Last Witch
ep 2. This all seems a bit... anime for such serious subject matter. If the setting was a completely fictional one, instead of this obvious WW2 analogue, then I might have an easier time settling into the storyline.

Kiss Him, Not Me
ep 1-2. Starts with a disturbing message about starving yourself to become beautiful, and as a whole is simply female otaku wish fulfillment, but beyond that it's a really funny series (imo).

Long Riders ep 1. Doesn't even try to be different from all the other K-On copycats. It's a lesser Bakuon.

Mobile Suit Gundam: Iron-Blooded Orphans
s2 ep 2.

Natsume's Book of Friends
s1 ep 12-13 (complete). Really must find time to watch the next few series of this. Wonderful.

No Game, No Life ep 1-12 (complete). Game Theory: The Anime. Hoping the movie is a continuation of the story instead of a recap.

Occultic;Nine ep 1. ........what?
The NGNL movie is a prequel based on one of LNs which is also a prequel/flashback based novel

How to Raise a Boring Girlfriend (SaeKano)-Episodes 7-10

A1 really missed out on the opportunity to do some OreImo cameos at Comiket. Granted, Tomoya has an OreImo poster in his bedroom, so that might have been a bit weird, but still :p

My Teen Romantic Comedy Snafu-Episodes 1-4 (Rewatch)

Only two episodes in an I'm already reminded why I dislike this series so much. Hachiman and Yukino are just not likable or relatable characters at all, and can seemingly only communicate in pretentious, over complicated dialogue 70% of the time. The comedy isn't funny either and Brain's Base is so much more capable in the animation department than the thoroughly average effort they put in here. If I didn't know better and you said the team behind Baccano did this, I'd say you were flat out wrong.

The hype for this show is probably one of the most baffling to me. There are shows I either think are bad or even just not as good as people say they are, like Ghost in the Shell or Samurai Champloo that I can at least look at and go "Yeah, I can see why this is popular, but it's not my cup of tea" but this? I dunno, I just don't see the appeal. The animation isn't outstanding, it's club based premise is nothing original and the characters are pretentious. The music is pretty good, but that's about it.

Scorching Ping Pong Girls-Episode 3

This continues to have pleasantly surprising amounts of character development. I think Agari's character arc is finished now, so I hope they use this opportunity to flesh out the rest of the cast equally as well.

Last edited:
Back