Your viewing journal

Ep 6 of Binan Koukou Chikyuu Bouei-bu LOVE! LOVE!
Ep 7 of Fukigen na Mononokean
Ep 7 of Days
Ep 6 of 91 Days...urrgghh!!...don't think i'll be able to eat lasagna for a while
Ep 6 of Cheer Danshi!!...only watched the last 5 minutes of it as the rest was basically a re-cap
Ep 7 of Arslan Senki:Fuujin Ranbu...can't believe there's only 1 episode left
Ep 6 of Tales of Zestiria the X...or as i like to think of...Tales of Berseria promo

Last edited:
yesterday

Tales of Zestiria the X ep. 6
Arslan Senki: Fuujin Ranbu ep. 7
Re:Zero kara Hajimeru Isekai Seikatsu ep. 20
New Game! ep. 7
Blood-C ep. 7
Selector Infected WIXOSS ep. 1 - 5

Revolutionary Girl Utena - Episode 10 - 13 (out of 39)
As soon as I caught a glimpse of the preview for the next episode and realized that it focused on Nanami I was understandably excited and needless to say the following episode didn’t disappoint. Episode 10 continues right where the previous episode left off and uses the preceding events as a means to focus on Nanami and her relationship with her brother. I have to say the emotions conjured up within this episode were surprisingly complex due to the subject matter at hand. Tackling a plotline centered on a girl with a brother complex is always going to be a difficult sell and yet they manage to do so with a sense of sincerity as Nanami’s character gains extra depth through the use of flashbacks that play a pivotal role within this episode and its execution is handled eloquently. Like the rest of Utena the series forgoes a sense of safety and complacency and instead opts for complexity. The characters are complex, deep and interesting and it’s this environment that nurtures uncertainty within the audience in regards to where the show and its characters might go next. The shows strengths lay with its visual storytelling and so it’s no wonder that this episode was a delight to watch.
OSu3mF3m.jpg
CHBwO5Km.jpg

7zDXp5jm.jpg
EsyvEgGm.jpg

Even though not a lot is spoken the nuances of the characters expressions and body language visually tells the story in an impactful manner. The episode relies heavily on medium close up shots due to the more personal nature of the story. I speak a lot about the visuals but the utilization of audio within this episode is just as striking, emphasizing the sombre moments and intensifying the action with a gradual crescendo that culminates to a grand finale. A surprisingly touching episode with great uses of flashbacks and color.

Episode 11 starts off both very funny and light-hearted but it very quickly transforms into something a lot more serious. The tonal shift from the first half to the second half is palpable and it amounts to one of the greatest episodes in the series thus far. Lots of interesting imagery finds itself dispersed throughout this episode with some beautiful backgrounds. The climax to this episode is nothing short of amazing with fantastic delivery by Utena’s voice actress. Utena is a show that is known for its repetition, a by-product of its low budget and so when this episode subverts some of these expectations and goes in an entirely different direction it makes for a huge impact that hits you where it hurts.
i7gMaWxm.jpg
1TmHjj2m.jpg

AbeOrmQm.jpg
R55mCeKm.jpg

Episode 12 continues where the last episode left off and is yet again a super strong, emotionally resonant episode with some fantastic characterization. In tune with the change of pace brought fourth by the end of the last episode, Utena’s gusto has all but evaporated and in its place is a more sombre, slower paced first half. To go with that, intense uses of blues, whites and greens are utilized in order to materialize the feeling of calmness and change of character by bringing a more bright palate to the table. Utena’s silence is piercing and it cultivates a brewing tension that develops in the background, and like the previous episode the tonal shift between the first and second half is substantial. The silence that symbolizes Utena’s ambivalence comes to a crashing halt in an energetic and striking ending to this arc.
G2oIVBVm.jpg
JgJbzlNm.jpg

IcjZOxfm.jpg
uRUoz92m.jpg

Episode 13 is a recap episode that focuses on the seven battles that have taken place thus far. These types of episodes are commonplace within long running anime series and although I’ve never had a problem with them personally, many people ultimately do. I have to say however that they did a fantastic job with its integration here. Sticking with the whole play and musical aspect of this series the montages are beautifully choreographed with Takaaki Terahara’s choral rock pieces playing in the background to great effect. Displaying a masterful use of splicing scenes together with some striking and memorable imagery, this is a prime example of how to do an episode like this the right way. The episode interweaves new content that further sets up the next arc that I’m really excited to see come to fruition.
JMWYoQim.jpg
8Dge872m.jpg

ePGluczm.jpg
ANhIyx5m.jpg

Amanchu ep 6. Beautiful.

Handa-kun ep 6. The dog killed me.

Hybrid x Heart Magias Academy Ataraxia ep 6. So pulling on a cat-girls tail makes her... I don't even... :eek:

Orange
ep 6-7. Naho being such a doormat is getting on my nerves now. But at least the emotional scenes are actually packing some punch now.

sweetness and lightning ep 7. A remarkably accurate depiction of a young child's reaction to those circumstances, as well as a parents.

The Heroic Legend of Arslan ep 7. How are they going to wrap this up in just one episode?

Pokemon XYZ 33
So that's how you go from Turn A to G Saviour in the space of two episodes. Good to know!

(The answer, incidentally, is having a writing staff comprised of cowards and writers from Best Wishes, the series even die hard Pokemon fans wishes never happened)

Galactic Drifter Vifam - Episodes 10 - 20

I am really enjoying watching Vifam again.

Mobile Suit Gundam Unicorn RE:0096 - Episode 18

Lensman

A decent bit of 80's sci-fi fun, looks absolutely gorgeous in places.

Lensman

A decent bit of 80's sci-fi fun, looks absolutely gorgeous in places.

Was that the movie? It's not something I've thought about for a long time, but having watched the film a couple of years ago, I was curious to see some of the tv series, but never heard anything about it being translated into English.

While I was on holiday:
Berserk: Tower of Conviction arc (Japanese audio) - Episode 07
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Diamond is Unbreakable (Japanese audio) - Episode 20
Re:ZERO -Starting Life in Another World- (Japanese audio) - Episode 20

Today:
Berserk: Tower of Conviction arc (Japanese audio) - Episode 08
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Diamond is Unbreakable (Japanese audio) - Episode 21

Rainbow Days ep 1 - 9
Blue Gender ep 1 - 3
Kuromukuro ep 4 - 6
Berserk 2016 ep 8
Momokuri ep 15 - 16