Your viewing journal

Bleach-Episodes 2-9

Episode 2: So THAT'S where leek spin comes from!

Episode 3: Wait did Rukia bring Orihime back from the dead? That seems incredibly overpowered. I know that Rukia says that she could heal her because her chain was still attached to her body but I'm not entirely sure how that works...

Episode 4: Chad. What a name. With other characters having names like Ichigo, Rukia, Orihime and Yuzu, the fact there is a character named Chad is just oddly hilarious. I would put millions on that being a dub only thing, like he has a super hard to pronounce Japanese name so they just localised it to Chad. Reminds me of Monk from Ghost Hunt.

Episode 5: I wish Chad was a Soul Reaper. He'd kick ass.

Episode 6: Rukia's drawings get me every time.

Episode 7: This episode felt a little disjointed. Like only the first half was spent finishing the last episode then the rest of the episode just kind of meandered around a little before setting up the next episode at the end. Not really bad just a little weird.

Episodes 8 and 9: I really liked these two episodes. I'm genuinely quite surprised how character driven this show has gotten. The closest I've seen to this show is probably DBZ and that show is mostly just people punching each other for hundreds of episodes. Not even 10 episodes in and we've already hit some key character development and backstory for Ichigo and his family.

Ushio and Tora - Episode 26 (Series 1 Complete)
An excellent finale to round off easily the most consistent and for me personally one of the best series of the year. I hope it manages to keep the quality level of the last 6 or so episodes up for it's final 13 episodes in April, because for me personally this could easily be one of the greatest shonen series of all time. Unusually for a recent shonen series, it manages to pace itself perfectly, it's never too fast, nor too slow, and does an excellent job of balancing more comedic and character developing moments with more serious narrative moments. It also manages to balance Ushio's ability well; Often shonen characters veer from the "super-amazing able to anything and everything with minimal effort" variety to the "completely worse than useless, why has his mother not intervened yet?" protagonist. Whereas Ushio and Tora manages to perfectly balance Ushio's abilities as 'the chosen one' with his inexperience as a fighter, and as result whilst he is powerful, he is also able to show development and it never feels like a stretch for him to suddenly lose a fight epicly. It also manages to balance it's characters well, managing to focus on the titular duo, without ignoring any of the supporting cast and without just reducing them to a caricature (like Hunter x Hunter does with Leorio much to my extreme personal annoyance, as he is clearly the best character). The only things about the show I would potentially question are how long it takes to get it's act together, and the decidedly grungy aesthetic and animation style. Whilst I applaud MAPPA and VOLN's commitment to the look of the show, I can't help but wonder if the fact the show looks weirdly grimy is putting a lot of people off. It won't ever get the respect and reputation 2011's Hunter x Hunter has, but for me personally it's more entertaining, more engaging and significantly less drawn out and annoying, and it'd be a shame it were to be overlooked and undervalued in comparison.

IncendiaryLemon said:
Bleach-Episode 1
Heh. Good luck with that. :p

Professor Irony said:
Young Black Jack ep10-12

That was a slightly odd note to end on (Hyakki seems to show little remorse for his crimes
I kind of liked that - I'm giving them credit for saying "look. doesn't matter how much sympathy you have for someone, maybe they're just BATSHIT CRAZY NOW". But I agree the tone wasn't completely harmonious on this front.

Glad you both picked this up and kept going with it, really rewarding show.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hidamari Sketch-Episodes 10 and 11

Episode 10: Miyako is best horse.

Episode 11: I know that I'd surely buy a Yoshinoya photo book :p

It's really reassuring to know that even though I'm almost at the end of the show, it has another 4 or 5 seasons after it. I think I'm going to start alternating a season of this with a season of Bleach.

JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Diamond is Unbreakable-Episode 11

Really enjoyed the fight in this episode. Can't wait to see you-know-who (We really need spoiler tags back!) in the next episode.

Re:Zero - episodes 4 & 5 - You know, this show could really do with a lot more Puck. I thought I was going to like the twins but now I'm not so sure, they just seemed so amusing at first but it wore off real quick. Still, it's a decent enough show and I'm enjoying it well enough.

Nisemonogatari 3-11 (RE WATCH 4 COMPLETE)
Kabukimonogatari 1-4 ( RE WATCH 4 complete)
God I still dislike the toothbrush scene its okay but its a push to say I like it.

Visited some friends for a viewing day; hijinks did ensue.

Dragonball Z: Resurrection of F

I was never a great fan of DBZ, but I know enough about it to not be totally lost with this film. It's by the numbers stuff and the eventual ending's a bit anticlimactic, but even as a non-fan, I still found it a fairly entertaining watch.

Girls Und Panzer der Film

Again not something I'm a particular fan of, but this film was far more entertaining than the little bit I've seen of the series. The tank battles feel more like something out of the old Micro Machines computer games than anything even remotely realistic, but the two major action scenes that dominate the film are pretty great - well paced, nicely directed. So long as you don't go looking for depth of character or originality in the story, it's a bit of a laugh.

Down Load - Namiamidabutsu wa Ai no Uta

I've wanted to see this one for a long while, mostly because it's the one '90s Mad House production that was just never available anywhere. A quirky little cyberpunk film about a womanising monk mixed up with a mysterious stripper, it's not amazing, but it did not disappoint either. The pop-art styled visuals are the best thing about it, but be warned though - the only fansub presently in general circulation is a very poor quality VHS rip and does not do the art any kind of justice.

Wakako Zake

Pshuuu~ That is all.

IncendiaryLemon said:
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Diamond is Unbreakable-Episode 11

Really enjoyed the fight in this episode. Can't wait to see you-know-who (We really need spoiler tags back!) in the next episode.

A workaround I've seen on other forums is to switch the font colour to be the same as the forum background, that way it can only be read when manually highlighted

Spoiler:I have mixed feelings about Joseph's appearance in Part 4; it's nice that he's still kicking, but seeing him as a doddery old man makes me sad.

Colour code for this is: ececec

Hidamari Sketch-Episode 12 (Complete)

Hidamari Sketch OVAs-Episodes 1 and 2 (Complete)

Episode 1: The fake out with the apartments blowing up caught me completely off guard, easily one of the best gags in the series so far.

Thank God these aren't the last episodes of Hidamari Sketch, I don't think my heart could have taken it! Absolutely adored this, will probably end up writing a review. Speaking of which, we still don't have a Last Anime out of 10 thread on this new forum...

Last edited by a moderator:
Back