Your viewing journal

Mangaranga said:
Rokka no Yuusha - Episodes 7 - 12

It's probably been a few months since I watched the first six episodes of Rokka (Pony USA's treatment dampened my enthusiasm for it) but It must be said. Wow, why did I stop watching this?
Nothing at all happened for the first few episodes. I suspect this ties into all the other points you made about it. ^^;

IncendiaryLemon said:
After a brief break over the Christmas period
You mean Christmas Day and Boxing Day? :p

Anti-Magic Academy The 35th Test Platoon ep 12
Is the Order a Rabbit ep 12
Haikyu ep 13
Ushio and Tora ep 26
YuruYuri ep 12
Utawarerumono ep 12
Beautiful Bones Sakurako's Investigation ep 12
Wagnaria!! 3 ep 14

Tamako Love Story
Kyoukai no Kanata I'll Be Here - Mirai-hen

I honestly don't know where to start here. I suppose the first thing I can say is that both of these films completely blew away any and all expectations I had for them.

Tamako Love Story focuses on Tamako - one of the characters who didn't really get any development in the TV series, and tells (as you might imagine) a beautiful straightforward Love Story. There's no stupid complications or hurdles thrown in stretch out the run time, it's just a story about two people coming to terms with how they feel about one another. If you've seen the TV series, watch it. If you haven't seen the TV series, watch it regardless. It's on a completely different level than Tamako Market and I feel that it's deserves much more attention than that based on the experience the movie takes you on alone.

Kyoukai no Kanata on the other hand surprised me a fair bit. I give KyoAni credit for going with a much darker tone than they usually do - much more so than I remember the TV series being. I'm not going to talk about the content considering It's been a while since I watched KnK TV and I didn't fully understand everything at first, but there was a lot of drama, a lot of very well animated fight scenes and a very satisfactory ending to the series. Animation wise, this was also probably the most visually impressive anime production I've seen to date and it sounded fantastic too.

I don't think it needs to be said, but it's been a good night. I am a 100% Kyoani convert.
Eupho and Hyouka are next on my Kyoani list. GiTS 2015, Love Live and Gundam The Origin II are next on my movie list.

Mobile Suit Gundam: Iron-Blooded Orphans episode 13
Sunday Without God episode 4
Dragon Ball Super episode 25
Free! episodes 7-12 (COMPLETE)
My Teen Romantic Comedy SNAFU episodes 4-9

IncendiaryLemon said:
Bleach-Episode 1

Seems pretty decent. Kind of goofy but I like it. Also, Is it just me or is that first OP kind of garbage?

I generally find most long running shonen OPs hit or miss, i liked Bleach Season 2 & 3 OPs and a couple others but Season 1 is my least favourite. From what i remember of it, the OP doesn't really tell you anything about the show, not even a shot of Ichigo fighting hollows which is what he does for the majority of Season 1.

Young Black Jack ep10-12

That was a slightly odd note to end on (Hyakki seems to show little remorse for his crimes, despite the narrative having forgiven him; Eri's death was so heavily signposted it was almost painful), but I'm glad I stuck with this series, and I hope the little coda at the end isn't a sign that they've ruled out a second season.

Last edited by a moderator:
Windy Tales (Fuujin Monogatari) - Episodes 1 - 3 (out of 13) (First Impressions)
Windy Tales (Fuujin Monogatari) is a beautiful and sweet slice of life series, one that has effortlessly swept me away and captivated me with its one-two combo of its mystifying visuals and its relaxing soundtrack and even though the series is over a decade old it still feels like a breath of fresh air today among many other series of a similar nature. The premise is simple, a couple of 8th graders are a part of a digital camera club and spend their days taking photographs of things that they encounter on a day to day basis however in one way or another each seems to revolve around the wind. It’s hard to fully grasp the nature of wind in this series but it does seem as if some mysticism exists around this element.
4XtXAO6l.jpg
qvOala9l.jpg

The art style for this series is a stand out for sure and although I say this a lot and by doing so the weight of this statement may seem lessened, this is without a doubt one of the best looking series that I've ever laid my eyes upon and I don't say that lightly. Everything is painterly and sketchy without looking harsh and fantastic compositions are utilized in order to frame each and every scene in a way that balances out all of the elements. Fisheye lenses are used as well as sweeping panoramas in order to show off the environment while visible lines in the sky are used in order to visually show the wind blowing. Every frame is just attractive to look at from an art style and cinematography standpoint. Lots of 3D elements and CG are utilized however yet again it’s all balanced and used tastefully. A lot of the way in which the foreground and backgrounds move independently reminds me of a parallax effect in a sidescroller of sorts which does wonders in giving each scene a sense of depth. It’s a show that looks great in stills but looks even better in motion as everything from the characters hair to the trees and foliage blow gracefully in the breeze.
It’s hard to explain but although the show is funny and charming, underneath the initial layer is a deeper series with complex and interesting characters. I doubt that this is the type of series to delve in too deep and conclude everything by the end, but that makes it all the better. It’s a series that delves into the fondness of the heart and the inevitability of getting older but of course to cling onto the past is to open up old wounds. Let the complex things stay as they are.
The character designs are attractive and pretty and what could be described as deformed and not lifelike, but funnily enough this breathes more life to them and makes them feel more realistic and individual. The smiles are infectious and the pale skin with the large dark eyes is a lovely juxtaposition.
The music is composed by Kenji Kawai and he does a terrific job here. The soundtrack stood out instantly. The best way to describe it is dreamlike, not unlike the visuals you feel a sense of weightlessness while listening to it. It’s happy and cheerful and yet enigmatic which goes well with this show and its dreamlike nature. The music sweeps you away like the wind but a weight emanates from it.
Windy Tales so far is a show that makes me feel nostalgic and with that comes a bittersweet happiness. I feel happy and sad at the same time, and although not much is happening plot wise I feel an air of melancholy surrounding me. The sounds of cicadas as the sun’s rays stretch across the horizon reminds me of days gone by, days where I would take pleasure in such sensations. Like they say, absence makes the heart grow fonder. Not much really happens in Wind Tales, but that’s fine. I wonder where the wind will take me.

Back