Your viewing journal

Tamako Market - Episodes 10 - 12 (END)

How fitting that the series ends around Christmas/New Year time.

IncendiaryLemon said:
Love, Chunibyo & Other Delusions-Sparkling... Slapstick Noel
Despite having access to the episode since it was first subtitled all that time ago and owning the official BD, I still haven't seen the S1 OVA.
I feel like going on a Kyoani binge (Tamako/Kyoukai movies & Hyouka) so maybe I'll include that too.

Owarimonogatari ep 7-12 (complete). Hmm, some wider implications in that last episode. And I've also found my respect for pretty much all the main characters has increased throughout these two story arcs, which is impressive in itself.

Howl's Moving Castle (English dub)
I'm weird in that this is only the second Ghibli film I've seen (the other being The Wind Rises), parts of this are a great cute fantasy, the other parts are Miyazaki smashing us over the head with his obvious pacifist message and the two don't really gel very well together. I wonder if it works better for Children or those who don't know Miyazaki is a pacifist, but for me it felt like it lacked any degree of subtlety whatsoever. Still really enjoyable, and the dub is okay - not brilliant, but not completely terrible. Billy Crystal is a standout in the dub, but he does struggle to do the more serious moments of his character.

Mobile Suit Gundam Thunderbolt - Episode 01
I really enjoyed this. I'm not 100% sure where it's going, and it feels like it could have done with more time, as the episode itself felt like it just happened and there was no arc to it; there was no definable beginning, middle and end, it felt almost like an extract from a larger piece without context. The animation looks solid, not as good as Iron-Blooded Orphans, but not bad.

It's probably just me, but I personally found the whole "when you hear the jazz, you'll know I'm coming" thing quite silly. I can sort of see what it was going for, but it doesn't work, especially when they've chosen the least tense jazz/pop combo soundtrack you could ask for. I cautiously await the next episode (which doesn't seem to have a release date), as whilst the show isn't bad, it feels like it could have been so much better as a feature length OVA or film.

Also, this is the first time I've seen this, but Sunrise's official subs go massively out of sync at parts (and are still slightly out of sync at others), hopefully they'll fix this if it ever gets a UK release/before they ask people to pay for this, because at parts it was quite hard to tell who was speaking.

Bakemonogatari - Episodes 01 - 05 (Hitagi Crab & Mayoi Snail)
I watched the first two episodes a while back and asked for the blu-ray for Christmas. The first episode is significantly less floaty and annoying than I remember, and it's nice to finally be able to see the show in 1080p instead of whatever godawful quality Viewster were showing it in.

It seems to massively tone down the random quirkiness in it's second arc, and I kind of miss it, but at the same time I kind of don't. I'm not sure this very funny, seeing as some places call it a Romantic Comedy (although I don't personally think that's even slightly accurate), but it is very watchable and the score is fantastic. It's also interesting to see the direction and how variety they get into the arc, even though it mostly takes place in one location.

I'm really interested in reading the light novels, or at least checking one of them out, just to see what they're like, but the lack of an ebook coupled with the lack of availability and stupidly high price tag of the paperback is really putting me off. It's a shame, because Yen Press are doing a great job with their light novel releases, just a shame Vertical has the rights to everything I want but the Rhyogo Narita series.

Watched the first three episodes of Daily Lives of High School Boys. Laughed out loud several times. Was worried that because I didn't enjoy Nichijou that I wouldn't like this, but the humour in this is much more grounded and relatable

Mangaranga said:
Tamako Market - Episodes 1 - 9

Out of all the Kyoani productions in recent years, I can't help but feel that this is the one that gets talked about the least.
It's by far the least inventive, and does the least with its premise. It's not that it's bad, it's just that it's so much less ambitious than KyoAni's other work. I would say it's better than Kyoukai no Kanata, but at least that was trying to do... something.

Concrete Revolutio e.10 - And all of a sudden, form is shown to follow function. To have a time travel episode so well constructed in the middle of a series that has tried to regulate its pace with a non-linear narrative is a cute touch. To have it resonate so well with the show's main themes of learning from history and relative views of good and evil is masterful. It's a good thing this show had its second cour confirmed, there's so much they could tell just spinning off from this episode.

Mobile Suit Gundam Thunderbolt - Episode 1

I liked this, back to gritty OYW stories, I also really liked the art style and animation, nice to see hand drawn mecha again and the look fits with the other OYW OVAs.

After a brief break over the Christmas period, I can finally get back to watching anime. Hoorah.

Coffin Princess Chaika-Episodes 9-12 (Complete)

Episode 9: A nice change of pace. Enjoyed the focus on characters.

Episode 10: Now that's going to be a good battle next episode.

Episode 11: Shocking Revelation

Episode 12: I will be interested to see what they do in Season 2 from here. I hope they expand on what they revealed about the Chaikas in these last couple of episodes.

Noragami Aragoto - Episode 13
Haikyuu!! - Episode 10
Rokka no Yuusha - Episodes 7 - 12

It's probably been a few months since I watched the first six episodes of Rokka (Pony USA's treatment dampened my enthusiasm for it) but It must be said. Wow, why did I stop watching this? The show itself was very good and despite some janky animation in the latter half, it was visually impressive too. I didn't actually expect what happened in episode 12 to happen either. Apparently this was a faithful adaptation of just the first novel, and the series only gets better from here on. It's a shame that the series bombed on home video and LN sales didn't get much of a boost either so the chances of a second season are pretty much zero at this point ;__;

Back