Your viewing journal

britguy said:
The Eccentric Family - 10-13

Really nice show and one I'll gladly rewatch. Charming.
Seems like I need to finally get around to watching this one sometime soon. NISA do pick up some gems so I have high hopes for it.

NormanicGrav said:
And better fanservice :wink: :wink:

*I'll leave the room*

:lol:
If this is anything to go by, then yes, better fanservice too.
I swear I just like the song. Honest.

Magi: The Labyrinth of Magic episodes 24-25 (COMPLETE) < great series, I wish Aniplex of America would release it on BD - I shall not be getting the Kaze release. Anyone know where I can stream season 2 (Kingdom of Magic)?
Cardcaptor Sakura episodes 55-58

Food Wars 1-2 - Started watching that recently and it's pretty good from the first two episodes. Quite a bit of fun seeing it as a battle of good food. I've not seen Yakitate Japan so i don't know how it compares, however JC staff haven't screwed this one, that i can see at the moment. So that's good news. Shall give it another couple episodes to judge!

World Trigger - Episode 17

I should try and get caught up on/finish at least one of the long running shonen series I've started, but I'm never in the mood for 50+ episodes of the same thing non-stop. Maybe this time I'll finish...

Beautiful Bones -Sakurako's Investigation- ep 9. A nice episode primarily about how people face death, which also seems to be the main theme of the entire series.

Chivalry of a Failed Knight ep 10. Now that I'm over how generic this is I'm actually enjoying it.

Comic Artist & His Assistants ep 1-12 & special eps 1-6 (complete). Not bad if you can overlook the fact that most of the jokes are workplace sexual harassment.

Young Black Jack ep 10. A definite show of the season contender.

Last edited by a moderator:
BanzaiJedi said:
Beautiful Bones -Sakurako's Investigation- ep 9. A nice episode primarily about how people face death, which also seems to be the main theme of the entire series.
Lovely and concise analysis. I thought the pacing of episode 9 was wonderful, and they still managed to slip in something a little bit "dramatic" at the end, hinting again at an overarching story of sorts.

Last edited by a moderator:
Azumanga Daioh-Episodes 4 and 5

Episode 4: Episode 4 and it's already the pool episode? Damn.

Episode 5: Followed immediately by the beach episode?! Slow down there! Also, you know it's a great episode when one of the characters ends up with PTSD.

Mr. Osomatsu/Osomatsu-san Episode 9.
This is a really difficult show to watch, I never know what to expect and sometimes it really doesn't work out. Then there are episodes like this, where they stick to the characters, squeeze in a good bit of humour and even manage to fit in a bit of worthwhile drama.

I enjoyed the segment at the beginning, it was a bit zany but it worked for me. I guess it just suits my kind of humour seeing more "realistic" takes on how a fictional story might go and the choice of characters for the roles was solid.

The second segment was okay, it was over the top silly and a bit basic but it worked well enough.

The major story of the episode was just brilliant though. It took the brother that is probably most difficult to think of as a person and built a genuinely touching story about real human issues around him. All of the characters felt consistent and their particular tendencies were used very effectively. The brothers might all look the same but they are also different and I think the show is strongest when it remembers that. Side characters do tend to be weaker but I don't know if that really matters since the brothers are plenty to carry the show. They did also manage to do quite a lot with the guest character, particularly in a lot of subtle details and things that went unsaid.

It does make it difficult to deal with the show though. On the one hand, it's good that they'll do this sort of thing from time to time but I also know they'll do a lot of the humour that probably won't work so well for me. Perhaps these moments wouldn't work so well without the breaks but that doesn't really make me feel any better about it.

Oh well, I guess this episode was enough to get me motivated to keep watching the show for now. If they sneak these kinds of episodes in from time to time then I'll probably watch the whole show. Still, it's a shame they couldn't do this kind of thing all of the time because that way I think I'd be able to rate the show much higher overall.

IncendiaryLemon said:
Azumanga Daioh-Episodes 1-3

Episode 1: Off to a pretty good start, I quite liked this initial episode. Kind of reminds me of Nichijou a little bit only with the wackiness toned down a fair bit and it also reminds me of Yuyushiki a fair bit too.
I suppose you could say there's a little bit of Azumanga Daioh in every similar show that has come since, it was kind of the first and set a lot of the foundations for what was to come.

IncendiaryLemon said:
Azumanga Daioh-Episodes 4 and 5

Episode 4: Episode 4 and it's already the pool episode? Damn.

Episode 5: Followed immediately by the beach episode?! Slow down there! Also, you know it's a great episode when one of the characters ends up with PTSD.
Looking forward to seeing some of your future comments. It is kind of impressive with how much they get in there (and that they manage to make it all work).

Azumanga Daioh-Episodes 6 and 7

Episode 6: A great episode. Always a ton of comedy potential in a sports day episode and this one was hilarious. What DOES OS stand for anyway? :p

Episode 7: Sakaki's idea for the Culture Festival and her specific description absolutely melted my heart. I think she's slowly becoming my favourite. I can't exactly put into words why but I just love her quiet and thoughtful personality and her secret love of cute things. I think it's specifically that last part and how she kind of blushes when anything cute appears. It's just kind of... I dunno. Endearing?

A side note, not really related in anyway to to episode 6 or 7, but just in general, I'm really starting to notice how influential this show is and I'm starting to see similarities to a ton of other Slice of Life shows I love, mostly through characters. The single sided girl love between Kaori and Sakaki is very similar to that of Syaro and Rize from Is The Order a Rabbit?, Sakaki herself, a girl with a body that looks beyond her years and acts mature but is still a child at heart, is reflective of Hotaru from Non Non Biyori and Osaka's ditziness reminds me a little of Yui from K-On although that one is less alike than the other two. It's pretty crazy.

World Trigger - Episodes 18 & 19
I have previously joked about the music on this show being ropey PS2 arcade game/bad mid 00s tourism promo music, and for the most part it's still like that but it has been getting better, and something about the music during the reveal of the 20-0 loss was hard for me to watch. Also, the fact they just sped up the first part of the recap, and then added the new bit at the end made me laugh...

I'm not sure why, but I really really really hate it when Osamu loses, I physically had to force myself to watch both fights because I just wanted to pause and run away and never return, which is partly why I took three or four attempts to get through episode 17, because I knew what was coming. I suppose that means the characterisation of the show is working, or I'm just really adverse to awkwardness...

Although on the much more watchable front we did get some spectacular new Yotaro moments (he and Reijin-maru are my absolute favourites), which are always appreciated. I'm thinking I might go for angry avenging Yotaro as my new profile picture whenever I can be bothered to change it.

Back