Your viewing journal

HWR

CCG’s Reaper
AUKN Staff
Higurashi: When they Cry - Sotsu episode 15 Parting. (Complete. Though this had its moments I felt the series ended up delivering an underwhelming conclusion to the story arc.) 3/5

The Aquatope on White Sand
episode 13 Struggles.

Lupin III: Part III episodes 17-37

Last edited:

SAHO

Straw Hat Pirate
81x6p4TgO3S._RI_.jpg

Title: Sonny Boy
Progress: Episode 12
Watch Status: Completed
Rating: 4/10
Quick verdict: "What did I just watch?" Was there an actual story in this show? It started as nothing and ended as nothing. I'm so confused 😂

Last edited:

RadFemHedonist

Thousand Master
Hans Christian Andersen (1952, with Danny Kaye) - Songs are lovely and Kaye makes a lovely HCA but a bit uneven. Worth watching though (I picked it up cuz I loved Kaye's first performance of Inchworm on The Muppets) :) 7/10.
Strings (2004 puppet feature film, dubbed in English) - Outstanding film with beautiful artistry and sense of poetry :) 9/10.

D1tchd1gger

Flame Haze
Miss Kobayashi's Dragon Maid S eps 1-6
Some really funny moments and some sweet ones too. Looking back on what I said about the first season this one doesn't seem as creepy as I made that one out, that or I've become even more desensitised to it. I will say they went to lengths to point out Ilulu isn't an oppai loli despite her design, no no she's the same age as Tohru, but she looks like that because her magic isn't strong enough to reduce her "fire sacks"!

Tokyo Revengers eps 13-15
Back again.

WMD

Cardcaptor
Riding Bean
Fun little OVA. Very OTT but the car action is great.

Bakemonogatari rewatch
What a visually amazing show this is. I'd forgotten how well the snake fight is animated.

Nisemonogatari rewatch
It was interesting to note some changes in the dialogue from the books. For instance Yotsuki catchphrase is "I said with a posed look" here but in the book is translated as "he said with a dashing look"

Nekomonogatari Black rewatch
For a character comedy this show sure knows how to turn on the ultra violence.

Kizumonogatari rewatch
Stunning films. Seriously the way they blend nonsense humour with ott fan service with mega violence with art house pretentiousness is outstanding. The final 30mins of the 3rd film are astonishing even on a rewatch.

HWR

CCG’s Reaper
AUKN Staff
Let’s Make a Mug Too 2 episode 1 A nice return for the series.

Selection Project episode 1 An idol-themed outing for the new season.

31 Days of Halloween 2021! Day I: Dawn of the Dead (Cannes Cut) (Film)

Lupin III: Part III
episodes 38-50 (Complete. I liked the variety in storylines on offer here similarly to part II, though I wasn’t a big fan of some of the character designs across the series.) 3.5/5

Last edited:
Thursday.

Yu-Gi-Oh! Episode 1-33

Yesterday.

How Not to Summon a Demon Lord Ω (English Dub) Episode 10 (Complete)

World Witches Series: World Witches Take Off! (English Dub) Episode 8

Zombieland Saga Revenge (English Dub) Episode 8

The Ancient Magus' Bride - The Boy from the West and the Knight of the Blue Storm OVA Episode 1 Visitors.

The Aquatope on White Sand Episode 13 New environment struggles.

Yu-Gi-Oh! Episode 34-42

D1tchd1gger

Flame Haze
Miss Kobayashi's Dragon Maid S eps 7-12 (complete)
Not much to add to what I said about the first 6 episodes, except ep 10 was super kawaii (♡°ω°♡) with Kanna-chan's trip to New York in the first half and then doing her summer independent project with Kobayashi-san in the second half.
EDIT: Oh yeah, there were some interesting flashback moments for a few of the dragons.
Of course being KyoAni the art and animation were great.
9/10

Tokyo Revengers
eps 16-18
A bit of backstory giving a, very silly, reason why 2 of the founding members of the gang changed sides. Basically one accidentally killed the brother of the leader, whilst unwittingly robbing him! And then decided to blame the leader for it! The other who was present at the time decides to follow!

Last edited:

BlazinWolf

Student Council President
September 26th- My Hero Academia Season 5- episode 25(Complete)Another enjoyable season 8/10

Digimon Adventure(2020)-
episode 67(Complete)A truly super “Meh” series,mostly forgettable,boring “threats”and the characters felt flat. Insert music was good though and the Mimi episodes were the best.
In comparison to other Digimon series this is the one for me personally is the worst one yet 4/10.

Am curious to see what Ghost Game will be like,interested to see what they’ll do with the smaller cast.Hopefully will be better than 2020.

Remake Our Life!-episode 12(Complete) - 7/10 An enjoyable watch not a favourite but still good.

October 2nd:
The Idaten Deities Only Know Peace(Complete)
episodes 10+11 Very weird nice animation though. 6/10

Higurashi When They Cry SOTSU(Complete) -
episode 15 Disappointing felt rather underwhelming in comparison to GOU plus the ending bleh 6/10.

Re-Main(Complete)-
episodes 11+12 Found this oddly enjoyable 8/10

Uramichi-Oniisan(Complete)-
episode 13 final episode, Absolutely loved this series.8/10

MuteKing The Dancing Hero-
episode 1 intriguing,loved the OP.

Yashahime Season 2- episode 1 a bit of recap,am interested to see how this goes.

86 2nd Season- episode 1 Nice start to the second season.

HWR

CCG’s Reaper
AUKN Staff
86 EIGHTY-SIX Part 2 episode 1 Newcomers.

MUTEKING THE Dancing HERO episode 1 plastic love.

31 Days of Halloween 2021! Day II: Demons (Film)

The Great Jahy Will Not Be Defeated!
episode 9 Shop around.

Lupin III: The Pursuit of Harimao's Treasure (Special) I found this to be a middling special overall though it did have its moments. 3/5

Lupin III: The Secret of Twilight Gemini (Special)
A fun outing and the theme song was quite catchy too. 3.5/5

Last edited:

ActionFaust

Combat Butler
Befitting the spooky month I've started a rewatch of When They Cry: Higurashi. Though it's been some time since I first watched it I think this'll have some good rewatch value with added context from later arcs.

Also started Noein: To Your Other Self from Stars Align director Kazuki Akane. Interesting premise so far with plenty of good mystery. Was getting big Macross Frontier vibes from the CG backgrounds and it turns out they share the same two CG directors which is pretty cool. Really liking the visuals in this.

And to cap off September I watched Macross Delta the Movie: Passionate Walküre which serves as an interesting mix of a compilation movie and alternative retelling. While it largely keeps the same story many events are blended together with animation also repurposed to fit this new context. The first half is admittedly a bit too fast paced but that's too be expected of a film trying to compress 26 episodes into a two hour movie. The second half however really steps it up with a good amount of divergence that sets it up nicely for the next movie. Definitely one of the more interesting compilation movies I've seen. A greatest hits compilation if you will.

Love Live! Superstar!!9/--Seasonal
When They Cry: Higurashi4/26Rewatch
The Legend of the Galactic Heroes64/110Streaming Backlog
Release the Spyce7/12Streaming Backlog
Yona of the Dawn17/24Physical Backlog
Assassination Classroom5/22Physical Backlog
Your Lie in April5/22Physical Backlog
Hello!! KINMOZA!2/12Physical Backlog
Noein: To Your Other Self4/24Physical Backlog

BlazinWolf

Mieruko-Chan- episode 1- Denial. Interesting start and liked the OP.

Digimon Ghost Game- episode 1 Time stolen.
Really,really loved the first episode, feels refreshing and I’m liking the supernatural,spooky vibe their going with. Frickin fantastic opening too. Gammamon is also adorable 🥰.

HWR

CCG’s Reaper
AUKN Staff
Boruto: Naruto Next Generations episode 218 Taken.

Fena: Pirate Princess episode 9 Tragic past

Irina: The Vampire Cosmonaut episode 1 Treatment.

Mieruko-chan episode 1 Lurker.

Mushoku Tensei: Jobless Reincarnation 2nd Cour episode 12 One wish.

31 Days of Halloween 2021! Day III: Demons 2 (Film)

Lupin III: Tokyo Crisis (Special)
This was another good special which gave Zenigata a good sidekick/foil for the story. 3.5/5

Last edited:
Yesterday.

My Hero Academia Season 5 (English Dub) Episode 24

EDENS ZERO Episode 25 Retribution. (Complete. A solid Sci-Fi adventure series with a straight forward premise at it's core whilst also sharing many similarities with it's predecessor. For me though this was a major improvement upon what Fairy Tail was when it came to certain character development and the fights between characters which was a definite highlight. Overall thoroughly enjoyable.) 3.5/5

Fena: Pirate Princess Episode 9 Tragic backstory.

Let's Make a Mug Too Episode 1-12 (Complete. A somewhat charming SoL though not the most engaging of series at times. Overall it was okay.) 3/5

Let's Make a Mug Too 2 Episode 1 Another charming season begins.

Restaurant to Another World Season 2 Episode 1 I'm definitely going to enjoy this second helping.

Selection Project Episode 1 Another Idol series, should be fun.

The Great Jahy Will Not Be Defeated! Episode 9 Splurge.

Yu-Gi-Oh! Episode 43-63

Yuki Yuna is a Hero: The Great Mankai Chapter Episode 1 Looking forward to this new season.

HWR

CCG’s Reaper
AUKN Staff
Love Live! Superstar!! episode 10 Ad-lib.

The Vampire dies in No Time episode 1 Sand.

31 Days of Halloween 2021! Day IV: Zombi 2 (Film)

Lupin III: The Columbus Files (Special)
This story tries something different by incorporating an amnesia subplot for Fujiko but was otherwise a middling special overall. 3/5

Lupin III: Missed by a Dollar (Special)
This special had a jazzy feel and was (I think) the final Lupin special to be animated via traditional cel animation before they switched over to digital. 3.5/5

Last edited:

D1tchd1gger

Flame Haze
Tokyo Revengers eps 22-24 (complete)
Aftermath past and present.
That's quite the cliffhanger! No season 2 announced yet, hopefully there will be one, but if not I've already made a start on collecting the manga.
Whilst there's always holes in time travel stories and the way Takemichi does it is a bit odd it's something you can overlook as he tries to solve the problem of changing his present. Actually he does it 2 ways, initially by dying and then by shaking the hand of a kid, Naoto, who's a young man in his present (who should be dead himself in the present, but by Takemichi going back to the past changes that by telling him). One thing that's a little harder to overlook is the fact the main cast are Middle Schoolers! Sure kids can find themselves in a gang, but can they end up being the baddest of the bunch, especially when they go up against older gangs? That aside the drama was interesting, if overwrought in places, and the odd humerus moment alleviated it from being too serious. Most of the characters were likeable/hateable enough to not grate. My theory on the big bad that emerged is that he's also a time traveller, and after the last line of the show in which he calls Takemichi his "hero" maybe could even be Naoto who got bored of waiting for Takemichi to solve the problem and decided to give him an extra push in the right direction, even if it did mean having to kill his sister a few times!
The art was OK with plenty of varied character designs, but the animation was a little lacking. Plenty of stills and only mouths moving in talking scenes.
8/10

D_Cide Traumerei the Animation
ep 13 (complete)
Combination.
Part of a multimedia project, I think there's a mobile game to go with it, the story is a bit of a Persona knockoff with people entering a dream world where their wishes get personified in monster form. These monsters can gain access to the real world if nothing is done quickly and this is where our heroes enter the fray by battling these monsters in their own hero manifestations. It was mostly told in a monster-of-the-week fashion with an overarching plot mostly in the background. Some where interesting, most were OK and the when the overarching plot came to the fore it was pretty tropey stuff. All the various plot elements had silly sounding English names, for example the heroes were called Knocker Uppers!
The animation and art were all cg which along with the story meant that it all blended together nicely rather than when 2D and cg get put together making it jarring. The character designs were pretty good both civilian and hero if a little stiff when animated, but the monster designs were mainly either bland or weird with the odd good one.
6/10

That's Summer done. I put Peach Boy Riverside and Sonny Boy on hold because they were both confusing messes for different reasons. I may or may not go back to them at some point. So now for Autumn:

takt op.Destiny ep 1
In a post-apocalyptic world music is forbidden as it attracts the alien beings that have invaded. But the fight back is on as people called Conductors can direct living weapons called Musicart to fight the aliens.
One that I had my eye on since I saw the trailer. Certainly very stylish, hopefully the story is good.

Mieruko-chan ep 1
Not quite sure what to make of this yet. Seems like a horror series, but had some comedy moments. Also I saw the manga has the ecchi tag on Bookwalker and I can see why with all the shots focusing on the MCs crotch, which I'm not sure is entirely necessary!

The Heike Story ep 1
Seems like they'll be plenty of political intrigue in this series and some supernatural going ons.

HWR

CCG’s Reaper
AUKN Staff
takt op.Destiny episode 1 Let the music Play.

The Fruit of Evolution: Before I Knew It, My Life Had It Made episode 1 Do the evolution.

31 Days of Halloween 2021! Day V: Maniac (Film)

Lupin III: Return of Pycal OVA
An underwhelming storyline featuring a returning character from the original series. 2.5/5

Lupin III: The Elusiveness of the Fog (Special)
A story involving time-travel and another returning villain from the original series, only this time with more personality. The feudal Japan plot wasn’t anything too special but there were some fun moments throughout. 3/5

Last edited:

BlazinWolf

AMAIM: Warrior At The Borderline: episode 1 Oppression.

The Fruit Of Evolution: Before I Knew It,My Life Had It Made: episode 1 Painful evolution.

Irina The Vampire Cosmonaut: episode 1 Space.

The Vampire Dies In No Time: episode 1- Not sure what to think yet,but the Armadillo is cute.

Boruto Naruto Next Generations: episodes 102-108 Had been on my on-hold list for a while,decided to watch some episodes, this was a very fun,enjoyable bunch.